Author Topic: Are these people NUTS???  (Read 893317 times)

Offline Plan 9

Re: Are these people NUTS???
« Reply #280 on: January 03, 2011, 10:35:50 PM »
How about those items that are "hand signed". They're better than the foot signed stuff.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #281 on: January 04, 2011, 08:55:39 PM »
How about those items that are "hand signed". They're better than the foot signed stuff.

:] !

Offline emoticon

« Reply #282 on: January 10, 2011, 09:19:28 AM »
I have bought many wackys from Ted Jeffrey over the years without any issues. I've found his customer service to be fantastic and his cards accurately graded. He seems like a really honest guy. That's why I am quite surprised that he's selling standard postcard sets for far more money than what they would cost someone purchasing directly from the Topps Online store. He's taking advantage of people's ignorance. His listing implies that the sets are no longer available...which is not true. He states: "These were only available at the Topps Online Store." Am I missing something?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-Postcard-Series-5-SET-5-w-bonus-TS7-/400186128405?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2cf3b815

Offline Kook

« Reply #283 on: January 10, 2011, 09:53:11 AM »
I have bought many wackys from Ted Jeffrey over the years without any issues. I've found his customer service to be fantastic and his cards accurately graded. He seems like a really honest guy. That's why I am quite surprised that he's selling standard postcard sets for far more money than what they would cost someone purchasing directly from the Topps Online store. He's taking advantage of people's ignorance. His listing implies that the sets are no longer available...which is not true. He states: "These were only available at the Topps Online Store." Am I missing something?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-Postcard-Series-5-SET-5-w-bonus-TS7-/400186128405?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2cf3b815

I have had similar experiences with Ted (very honest & good to deal with) over several years. I know he sells mostly on consignment. He may not be aware that Topps is still selling them, or he may have a consignor who asked him to sell something at a certain price. Many people don't know about shoptopps.com, and people will buy on ebay if they don't know about it.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #284 on: January 10, 2011, 06:53:49 PM »

I have had many good buying experiences with them also. I would just tell him about it and give him the benefit of a doubt. It could be what he thinks because the Topps site is inconsistent with many items going on and off of availibility.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #285 on: January 10, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »
I have had many good buying experiences with them also. I would just tell him about it and give him the benefit of a doubt. It could be what he thinks because the Topps site is inconsistent with many items going on and off of availibility.

I concur with Playbug. I've had only good experiences with him. To me it seems like he is most likely unaware that you can purchase them from Topps and/or is assuming that all Postcards are "limited edition".

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #286 on: January 11, 2011, 11:36:59 AM »
I concur with Playbug. I've had only good experiences with him. To me it seems like he is most likely unaware that you can purchase them from Topps and/or is assuming that all Postcards are "limited edition".

I agree, I don't get the feeling that he is that "up" on Wackys like we are so he probably isn't even aware of it.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #287 on: January 11, 2011, 02:53:20 PM »
I don't know if I have ever seen one of these sold and this one had 2 bidders:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Lot-103-Wacky-Package-Stickers-/320638414191

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #288 on: January 11, 2011, 07:56:53 PM »
I don't know if I have ever seen one of these sold and this one had 2 bidders:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Lot-103-Wacky-Package-Stickers-/320638414191

Darn I missed it!  :'(

Offline ClubbedCanadian

« Reply #289 on: January 11, 2011, 08:27:25 PM »
At least they saved them after peeling,,,I should have gone that route as a kid maybe i would have kept them
I only kept mine for a few years before sticking them on poster sheets...and everywhere else  :'(
About 10 years ago I found an old small tool box of mine with a bunch of series 9 stickers all over it..LOL
I should have put that on flea bay.. :o

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2011, 08:07:48 AM »
The slight variations on the die-cut spacing on the vintage stickers sure become apparent when you see the sticker peeled off. Weird, eh?

Seems so odd to see them like that now...

Offline jeffcaff

Are these people NUTS???
« Reply #291 on: January 13, 2011, 11:28:13 AM »
This decal has never been pulled off its original backing and appears to be in good condition. It sat in my closet for 35 years at the bottom of the barrel of my paper spreader. Don't miss this one and all of their other gems.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-WACKY-PACK-CARD-DUXIE-LOOK-/200565110613

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #292 on: January 13, 2011, 11:58:42 AM »
This decal has never been pulled off its original backing and appears to be in good condition. It sat in my closet for 35 years at the bottom of the barrel of my paper spreader. Don't miss this one and all of their other gems.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-WACKY-PACK-CARD-DUXIE-LOOK-/200565110613

"IN THE PICTURE IT LOOKS A LITTLE WHITER THEN I BELIEVE IT TO REALLY BE." -- at least he's honest!
"Gamera always wins!"

Offline Crust

« Reply #293 on: January 13, 2011, 12:37:59 PM »
 :o what a great deal!!! ( if it were only going for 2 cents)

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #294 on: January 20, 2011, 11:44:40 AM »
Another Kook: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300517280151

I offered $20. Here's the counteroffer I got:
Counteroffer: $253.99
$20.00! Hahahaha! You really must have a great sense of humor! All The Best.

I, of course, declined this and said:
Hahaha. You're funnier than I am. You're obviously clueless on the value of these. Good luck getting anybody sane to pay what you're asking!!

Just irks me that these idiots sell stuff in a vacuum... >(

Offline ClubbedCanadian

« Reply #295 on: January 20, 2011, 07:22:36 PM »
Another Kook: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300517280151

I offered $20. Here's the counteroffer I got:
Counteroffer: $253.99
$20.00! Hahahaha! You really must have a great sense of humor! All The Best.

I, of course, declined this and said:
Hahaha. You're funnier than I am. You're obviously clueless on the value of these. Good luck getting anybody sane to pay what you're asking!!

Just irks me that these idiots sell stuff in a vacuum... >(

right on,good 1  :great:
I saw this clown's lot when he put it up and thought "this guy is off his nut!"

Offline ClubbedCanadian

« Reply #296 on: January 20, 2011, 08:18:27 PM »
I offered him $15.. :-\
here's his reply

"Wow! You have a very funny sense of humor! How about $15.00 plus $268.99 for shipping!"

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #297 on: January 21, 2011, 09:35:40 AM »
here's his reply

"Wow! You have a very funny sense of humor! How about $15.00 plus $268.99 for shipping!"

I would ask him what it was that he saw that made him think they are worth that much. 

Offline ClubbedCanadian

« Reply #298 on: January 21, 2011, 11:23:55 AM »
I would ask him what it was that he saw that made him think they are worth that much.  

I declined and told him that I thought it was a fair offer considering the titles and condition.

Offline emoticon

« Reply #299 on: January 21, 2011, 03:34:55 PM »
The seller doesn't even have the wackys in the right category. They are in:  Collectibles > Trading Cards > Vintage (Pre-1980)
How'd you even find them?

Offline ClubbedCanadian

« Reply #300 on: January 21, 2011, 03:48:19 PM »
The seller doesn't even have the wackys in the right category. They are in:  Collectibles > Trading Cards > Vintage (Pre-1980)

they still come up in a std. "wacky packages" search

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #301 on: January 21, 2011, 05:44:09 PM »
here's his reply

After a little more thought, I realized I probably low-balled him a little, but nowhere near as much as he is "high-balling" them. Come on, they're tan series 2...and not that nice, either.

That's a good point, Rob. I'd like to understand why he thinks these are worth 1/4 G. But, I'm afraid he'll just avoid answering, like he's avoiding reality in our offers. LOL

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #302 on: January 21, 2011, 07:44:08 PM »
The seller doesn't even have the wackys in the right category. They are in:  Collectibles > Trading Cards > Vintage (Pre-1980)

Who searches by category? Just type in wacky packages or I use wack* pack*

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #303 on: January 21, 2011, 08:21:35 PM »
The only reason that I ever search by category is to see if there are any newly listed items with low buy-it-now prices.  It takes a certain amount of time for new items to show up in keyword searches but they show up immediately if you search by category.

I keep hoping to find that Ratz or Cracked Animals with a $9.99 buy-it-now price!!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #304 on: January 22, 2011, 04:31:53 AM »
After a little more thought, I realized I probably low-balled him a little, but nowhere near as much as he is "high-balling" them. Come on, they're tan series 2...and not that nice, either.

That's a good point, Rob. I'd like to understand why he thinks these are worth 1/4 G. But, I'm afraid he'll just avoid answering, like he's avoiding reality in our offers. LOL

Maybe he saw some Ludlows go high, and figured these must worth even more, since the backs aren't marked up with those silly camels.....  :-\
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:24:20 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #305 on: January 22, 2011, 07:25:59 AM »
The only reason that I ever search by category is to see if there are any newly listed items with low buy-it-now prices.  It takes a certain amount of time for new items to show up in keyword searches but they show up immediately if you search by category.

Really? I never heard that before.  I do all my searches as wack* pack* (-bandz lately for all the damn silly bands things) so I'll have to check that out!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #306 on: January 22, 2011, 07:29:21 AM »

You're not that far off because of the condition of them.  His # is way too high. 

Offline wormypackages

« Reply #307 on: January 22, 2011, 01:49:20 PM »
Really? I never heard that before.  I do all my searches as wack* pack* (-bandz lately for all the damn silly bands things) so I'll have to check that out!

I serch the same way with -bandz and also -sonic to not get the Sonic Wacky Pack items!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #308 on: January 22, 2011, 05:32:55 PM »

I do my searches that way too. But do you really put the asterisk's in there too? I just type in wacky packages or wackys. I never heard of what Busted said about the items showing up on the specific catagory 1st before the general search, but it seems to make sense. But now the cat is out of the bag !  :o

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #309 on: January 22, 2011, 08:06:42 PM »
I do my searches that way too. But do you really put the asterisk's in there too? I just type in wacky packages or wackys. I never heard of what Busted said about the items showing up on the specific catagory 1st before the general search, but it seems to make sense. But now the cat is out of the bag !  :o

I use the asterisks to catch when people call them "wacky packs" or "wackies". Better safe than sorry.
"Gamera always wins!"

Offline ClubbedCanadian

« Reply #310 on: January 22, 2011, 09:20:47 PM »
I use the asterisks to catch when people call them "wacky packs" or "wackies". Better safe than sorry.
hmmm.i just don't see the need for these trix...i just tried a bunch of these vaiations and it don't matter
I do searches of packs and packages and I cover all catagory's,not just trading cards

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #311 on: January 22, 2011, 09:41:01 PM »
hmmm.i just don't see the need for these trix...i just tried a bunch of these vaiations and it don't matter
I do searches of packs and packages and I cover all catagory's,not just trading cards

Right, that's what I do. Type into the top search box for all catagories, but I think it is just a time saver because appearently the asterisk covers all of the variables.  :great:

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #312 on: January 23, 2011, 08:17:32 AM »

Me too, I missed a "wackie" item I needed once that sold for about a hundred dollars less than it was worth, and since then I use the * !!

Offline wormypackages

« Reply #313 on: January 23, 2011, 03:49:23 PM »
Me too, I missed a "wackie" item I needed once that sold for about a hundred dollars less than it was worth, and since then I use the * !!

That's why I use the * way to search too - I have gotten a few rare items for a relatively low price because of misspelling Wacky as Wackey.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #314 on: January 23, 2011, 04:11:42 PM »
"wack* pack* -bandz" is the best way to search.