Author Topic: Are these people NUTS???  (Read 893244 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Are these people NUTS???
« Reply #2205 on: January 06, 2020, 07:49:24 PM »
seems a bit steep?  $120 for a nice OS 4 wrapper eBay auction: #372904185648

That’s Dan. All of his listings are a bit, shall we say, aggressively priced.
$799 for a 1971 baseball display box. I paid $90 for mine. Etc. He does have some cool items though!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 07:51:23 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #2206 on: February 03, 2020, 10:20:17 AM »
Maybe not full-blown nuts, but certainly on the edge of sanity. Nine (9) reissues for $80? Oh, sorry, it's the rare 13th series puzzle that has stickers instead of checklists on the back.   :-\

eBay auction: #184157230244

Offline quas

« Reply #2207 on: February 03, 2020, 10:37:15 AM »
Maybe not full-blown nuts, but certainly on the edge of sanity. Nine (9) reissues for $80? Oh, sorry, it's the rare 13th series puzzle that has stickers instead of checklists on the back.   :-\

eBay auction: #184157230244

Perhaps English is a 2nd language: "1975 Wacky Packs series #13 very rare beastball complete puzzle not checklist on back its  stickers rare , Very good condition look at picks.No creases corners good."
Marc

Offline drono

« Reply #2208 on: February 03, 2020, 01:13:10 PM »
Perhaps English is a 2nd language: "1975 Wacky Packs series #13 very rare beastball complete puzzle not checklist on back its  stickers rare , Very good condition look at picks.No creases corners good."

I'd say s/he beat the odds to only have 9 of them and they made a complete puzzle.  Otherwise, s/he would realize that all of them have puzzle pieces on the back -- imagine how much more rare a find it is to have found 66 of them like that.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #2209 on: February 03, 2020, 02:51:46 PM »
I'd say s/he beat the odds to only have 9 of them and they made a complete puzzle -- imagine how much more rare a find it is to have found 66 of them like that.
LOL

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #2210 on: February 03, 2020, 04:53:13 PM »
I'd say s/he beat the odds to only have 9 of them and they made a complete puzzle.  Otherwise, s/he would realize that all of them have puzzle pieces on the back -- imagine how much more rare a find it is to have found 66 of them like that.

These Evilbay "sellers" can't do a 1 min Google search to figure out if what they have is rare or swill?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #2211 on: February 03, 2020, 07:52:13 PM »
These Evilbay "sellers" can't do a 1 min Google search to figure out if what they have is rare or swill?
No need! Everything they have is "mint & rare"!

Offline drono

« Reply #2212 on: February 04, 2020, 11:22:19 AM »

They probably did, found this auction, https://www.ebay.com/itm/402022328323, looked at the backs and decided because theirs had stickers instead of checklists, that it was rare ... and mint.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #2213 on: February 10, 2020, 03:42:29 PM »
Hurry and get this super rare 'printing error' sticker set.  I can only imagine the horror when this 'mistake' was found hot off the presses!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-WACKY-Packages-VARIATIONS-5th-SERIES-UNCUT-Puzzle-Both-ERROR-NEW-PRINTING/164070678967?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I am sure someone will scoop this up.  There is a sucker born every minute.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline drono

« Reply #2214 on: February 11, 2020, 03:46:32 AM »
Hurry and get this super rare 'printing error' sticker set.  I can only imagine the horror when this 'mistake' was found hot off the presses!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-WACKY-Packages-VARIATIONS-5th-SERIES-UNCUT-Puzzle-Both-ERROR-NEW-PRINTING/164070678967?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

It reminds me of some of the errors in the Topps 1973 baseball set. 

https://www.tradingcarddb.com/Errors.cfm/sid/73/1973-Topps

Of course, when you print them yourselves and pass them off as real Wacky Packages, you can print your own intentional errors and sell them at a higher price.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #2215 on: February 11, 2020, 09:37:39 AM »

This is Matt Stock sellling these correct?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #2216 on: February 11, 2020, 03:19:26 PM »
Of course, when you print them yourselves and pass them off as real Wacky Packages, you can print your own intentional errors and sell them at a higher price.
But also, beware of the forged Fake Wackys. The gall of some people  :-\

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #2217 on: February 11, 2020, 06:40:31 PM »
But also, beware of the forged Fake Wackys. The gall of some people  :-\

(Image removed from quote.)

Holy crap. people are forging fake Wacky Packages????  That is pretty unsavory. Trying to wrestle good money for remakes of non-origninals.  I think the FBI really needs to get involved here before this spirals out of control.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline drono

« Reply #2218 on: February 12, 2020, 03:48:51 AM »
This is Matt Stock sellling these correct?

I believe so.  If my memory serves me correctly, Knight Collectibles suddenly popped up when Make Mine Marvel got temporarily suspended, selling pretty much the same non-Topps Wacky Packages stuff that MMM had previously listed. 

It's just too difficult to police the gazillions of sellers on eBay. I've reported a few sellers for items that were obvious copyright infringements, and it typically takes eBay about a week to get them to pull down their item.  Then miraculously there's a new account that pops up, from the same geographic location, selling the same copyrighted material the next day.  I eventually just gave up reporting them, and I imagine most people who do report them eventually give up.

It would take a large corporation with deep pockets like Topps to report the issue and get all the Wacky Packages knockoffs pulled down to make a change.  I don't know if Topps just doesn't care or if they just don't have the time to do it.  They shut down another knockoff years ago, who wasn't selling on eBay, because of the thick black border around the parodied image that Topps claims infringed on one of their copyrights.  Topps has gone to the thinner borders with everything they've made lately, but I notice these knockoffs are using it, so it seems that legal precedence has already been set and could be easily used to stop these if Topps really wanted to do it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 03:56:50 AM by drono »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2219 on: February 12, 2020, 07:27:04 AM »
Topps should learn from this that collectors are hungry for more Wacky Packages!! We barely get anything anymore with the exception of the fantastic Old School and the awesome customs offered here. I can't understand why Garbage Pail Kids still gets so much love from Topps and lots of product released continually. It baffles the mind!! Don't get me wrong. The artwork on those are always top notch. But everyone loves a spoof and there is a lot of untapped territory that can be covered with new Wacky sets. CD covers, Blu-Ray covers, logos, movie posters, and plenty of brand new retail products.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 07:30:00 AM by Swiski »

Offline quas

« Reply #2220 on: February 12, 2020, 07:56:44 AM »
Topps should learn from this that collectors are hungry for more Wacky Packages!! We barely get anything anymore with the exception of the fantastic Old School and the awesome customs offered here. I can't understand why Garbage Pail Kids still gets so much love from Topps and lots of product released continually. It baffles the mind!! Don't get me wrong. The artwork on those are always top notch. But everyone loves a spoof and there is a lot of untapped territory that can be covered with new Wacky sets. CD covers, Blu-Ray covers, logos, movie posters, and plenty of brand new retail products.

Like all the new vegetarian and vegan products on the market nowadays.
Marc

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #2222 on: February 12, 2020, 04:33:08 PM »
Topps should learn from this that collectors are hungry for more Wacky Packages!! We barely get anything anymore with the exception of the fantastic Old School and the awesome customs offered here...

Time to get Fleer to rejuvenate "Crazy Magazine Covers"!  Yah!!!  I've been waiting for 4th Series Crazy Covers for 40 years!!!  The art was amazing.  Maybe then Topps would give more attention to Wackys again, knowing what competition they'd be up against! 

(I jest, of course... but shockingly I do still have my series complete 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Crazy Covers w/puzzles in a binder with Mr.Phoney's Funnies)

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #2223 on: February 12, 2020, 08:54:56 PM »
don't forget 1979 Crazy Labels.

Offline drono

« Reply #2224 on: February 13, 2020, 03:29:21 AM »
Huh??  Must be a joke.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Worlds-Most-Expensive-Pack-of-Gum-Original-Bazooka-Bubble-Gum/362888557762?hash=item547dd7f4c2:g:HqYAAOSw2bReJf7M

I think it is.  He has two other listings - one for a Upper Deck Kobe Bryant Rookie Card at $50 and a McDonald's poster for Sweet and Sour Sauce at $1000.

Apparently it's a high school kid looking to make some dough.  The McDonalds listing has the following:

Love this collectible but I'm willing to give it up to pay for my senior stuff for high school and help my friends and family out.

Offline drono

« Reply #2225 on: February 13, 2020, 03:37:27 AM »
don't forget 1979 Crazy Labels.

Loved the gags, hated the dots around the stickers.  Imagine what Topps would do with this concept of putting images of the different stickers on the back of each one.  In a 55 card set, there could now be 55 different backs and four different colors of dots around the sticker itself.  What's that 55*55*4 different combinations? Ship it in a pack of 10 with poor collation so that you'd have to buy at least 10 times as many to guarantee a complete set. That would really drive the completists nuts!  I'd be buying stock in the people who make those little plastic boxes.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:39:09 AM by drono »

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #2226 on: February 13, 2020, 09:52:12 PM »
I never finished my Crazy Labels set.  Anyone want mine in trade for something equally ugly?  Not sure how many I have or condition.  But that's like saying "Not sure how many David Hasslehoff CDs I have or what songs are on them".  Sorry Mr. H.  ... great in Knight Rider, though.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #2227 on: February 19, 2020, 08:06:53 AM »
I never finished my Crazy Labels set.  Anyone want mine in trade for something equally ugly?  Not sure how many I have or condition.  But that's like saying "Not sure how many David Hasslehoff CDs I have or what songs are on them".  Sorry Mr. H.  ... great in Knight Rider, though.

Hey! As someone who collects all kinds of parody items, not just Wacky Packages, I have to love my Fleer red-headed stepchildren just as much as the other kids (almost).  ;)   Gotta give Fleer props for their efforts beyond just gum cards with the Crazy Cans, Chug-A-Cans, Crazy Spray Cans, Crazy TV Dinners, Crazy Video, etc.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 11:47:52 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline quas

« Reply #2228 on: February 19, 2020, 08:20:49 AM »
Hey! As someone who collects all kinds of parody items, as well as Wacky Packages, I have to love my Fleer red-headed stepchildren just as much as the other kids (almost).  ;)   Gotta give Fleer props for their efforts beyond just gum cards with the Crazy Cans, Chug-A-Cans, Crazy Spray Cans, Crazy TV Dinners, Crazy Video, etc.

Agree 100%.
Marc

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #2230 on: March 18, 2020, 12:28:25 PM »
WTF is going on here? See how these people are all intertwined?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-RARE-Topps-Wacky-Packages-ANS10-JOE-SIMKON-COLOR-Umbrella-Sketch-Card/223945680963?hash=item342433e843:g:1FUAAOSwsWlebBbD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Topps-Wacky-Packages-ANS10-SKETCH-Card-By-JOE-SIMKO-AMAZING-COLOR/223949797642?hash=item342472b90a:g:asQAAOSw6nNecWtF

The Description for the kane-and-romita lot states:  "1967 RARE Topps Wacky Packages Original DIE CUT. You get the exact card shown in the photos. Thus cars is a beauty !!!"    Probably a hold over from some copy and pasting, but adds to the confusion even more.

Offline drono

« Reply #2231 on: March 18, 2020, 01:06:01 PM »
Interesting how it's a one of a kind piece of art, but there are two listings for it.  Maybe one of them intends to win the other auction and then sell it for more?

Offline quas

« Reply #2232 on: March 18, 2020, 01:13:27 PM »
Interesting how it's a one of a kind piece of art, but there are two listings for it.  Maybe one of them intends to win the other auction and then sell it for more?

One of the sellers must been texting, as he says "Thus cars is a beauty !!!"
Marc

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #2233 on: March 18, 2020, 01:42:58 PM »

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2234 on: March 18, 2020, 01:52:03 PM »

They're both Matt Stock.  I guess it's a way to keep the BIN available while bidding is underway.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #2235 on: March 18, 2020, 02:27:56 PM »
They're both Matt Stock.  I guess it's a way to keep the BIN available while bidding is underway.
I tend to think it's just carelessness in the listings.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2236 on: March 18, 2020, 02:32:11 PM »
I tend to think it's just carelessness in the listings.

Could be.  He's got a lot of items to keep track of.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #2237 on: March 18, 2020, 08:59:00 PM »

It is not a BIN it is up for auction with a 149.99 starting bid. think that $51 one would disappear is someone bid on the 149 one?

Carelessness in the listing??? do you really think that? and not something a little more malicious?

Look at that sketch, how can that be confused with anything other than what it is?

Offline drono

« Reply #2238 on: March 19, 2020, 08:39:24 AM »
Look at that sketch, how can that be confused with anything other than what it is?

I agree.  We've all seen careless listings where the description doesn't match the photo, but these are exactly the same, and it's a one of a kind item.  Notice Joe's signature on the back how the J cuts through the O in TOPPS and the m cuts between the s and the .c in TOPPS.COM on both of them.  It's the same photo used for each one.

I guess it's all moot now since the lower-priced auction went down to $24.99 and now has been ended because there was an error in the listing.  Maybe they're reading the forum?  Conspiracy theories?

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #2239 on: March 19, 2020, 09:12:01 PM »
With the ending of the lower listing, just tells me Matt has come up with another way to cheat the bidders and CHEAT the system. Any of you can like and buy from this guy, but in my BOOK is a CROOK. straight up and down! He should be run out of business, instead he's supported. Wake up people.

Jim

anything