Author Topic: Are these people NUTS???  (Read 913895 times)

Offline jleonard1967

Re: Are these people NUTS???
« Reply #1295 on: April 24, 2013, 01:39:57 PM »
How did people purchase houses w/o the proper income and occupation.

Those loans where called ninja loans or liar loans  "no income no job" or put what you want down we won't ask for proof.  Those people payed a higher rate but didn't have to prove anything.  It was originally for self employed people who deduct everything, but like everything else it was leveraged for what it wasn't supposed to be.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1296 on: May 01, 2013, 05:37:52 AM »
not sure if they think they have a gold card or just clueless

eBay auction: #181133000998

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #1297 on: May 01, 2013, 05:40:23 AM »
Those loans where called ninja loans or liar loans  "no income no job" or put what you want down we won't ask for proof.  Those people payed a higher rate but didn't have to prove anything.  It was originally for self employed people who deduct everything, but like everything else it was leveraged for what it wasn't supposed to be.

Correct...those were "no Doc" loans...in CA you have secretaries buying $600K homes...making up their income..see where we are now!! It certainly was WACKY!!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #1298 on: May 01, 2013, 07:57:23 AM »
not sure if they think they have a gold card or just clueless

eBay auction: #181133000998

That's too much!

I like this line in the description, "Original Release Date 1973"

And this, "Limit Series of 72 Flashback Sticker in set"

And the fact they say "1:206 packs" makes me think you are correct - for some reason they think this is a gold

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #1299 on: May 01, 2013, 10:46:13 AM »
They must think the yellowish color between the pink footprints is the "gold border".

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #1300 on: May 02, 2013, 08:33:49 PM »
Not saying Clint is nuts but he has quite a few sketches that he keeps relisting on eBay for at least a couple years. He's treated me well but maybe I overpaid... :o
I sent him a best offer $200 a couple years ago for this sketch eBay auction: #380551177207 but he declined. He recently offered it for $150 but now its up to $175 or best offer. If he didn't take my offer then I don't know what to offer now. I know, as a seller, you want a great deal, but a few sellers would rather hang on to cards or sketches for several years than to sell of a profit now.
I want to deal my doubles and such right away when they are hot but some sellers will hold on to them for a very long time. I don't know how they have the patience to keep relisting every month. What don't I get?

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #1301 on: May 03, 2013, 05:51:12 AM »
Not saying Clint is nuts but he has quite a few sketches that he keeps relisting on eBay for at least a couple years. He's treated me well but maybe I overpaid... :o
I sent him a best offer $200 a couple years ago for this sketch eBay auction: #380551177207 but he declined. He recently offered it for $150 but now its up to $175 or best offer. If he didn't take my offer then I don't know what to offer now. I know, as a seller, you want a great deal, but a few sellers would rather hang on to cards or sketches for several years than to sell of a profit now.
I want to deal my doubles and such right away when they are hot but some sellers will hold on to them for a very long time. I don't know how they have the patience to keep relisting every month. What don't I get?

maybe he doesn't like you and won't sell it to you @ any price??  :] :] :]be careful he smokes...NOT a SMOKE-FREE HOME!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Kook

« Reply #1302 on: May 03, 2013, 06:10:01 AM »

I don't think you are missing anything other than "different strokes for different folks." Like you, I'm not an extremely patient person. During any given series, I buy, sell & trade my extras while everyone else is in the market, and I blow out all my dupes, close the books & move on to the next series relatively quickly. There are pros & cons to that which are not known at the time i.e. I sold many mid series postcard bonus cards (H8, Clucky, Hoppy meal...) and bio sets in the $20 to $30 range and was happy to get the cash to recoup some or all of my outlay. Now many of the bonus cards are selling in the $100 range, and some of the bio sets you can't give away. The sketch market seems to be crashing - I remember when marginal color sketches were $300 or $400 and really nice ones were over $1000. Now you can get really nice color sketches in the $100 to $200 range. Beautiful artist return sketches aren't even a blip on the radar & crappy sketches are getting punished (or their owners are) with .99 auction prices. Point is, you never know where these items will end up, and sometimes people don't care if they sell a nice item that acts as good "window dressing" in their store until the right (i gotta have it) buyer comes by. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes you don't care & say I'll keep it if it doesn't sell because I really like it. All in all, Clint has done right by me in my dealings, and he seems to sell a lot of wackys, so IMO, he knows what he is doing, even if it's not the same thing as you might do or as I might do.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1303 on: May 03, 2013, 09:15:07 AM »
I sent him a best offer $200 a couple years ago for this sketch eBay auction: #380551177207 but he declined. He recently offered it for $150 but now its up to $175 or best offer. If he didn't take my offer then I don't know what to offer now.
At the moment, it's on sale for under $150. I'd suggest offering him $100-$125. He may go for it.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #1304 on: May 03, 2013, 04:35:21 PM »
At the moment, it's on sale for under $150. I'd suggest offering him $100-$125. He may go for it.

HaHa, I've moved on. I've seen it so much on ebay that I don't need it in my collection. :] :] :]

Offline MadMike

« Reply #1307 on: May 04, 2013, 09:14:56 PM »
Am I missing something about that card?  What is he claiming that is so special? 

I just spent 8 hours at Six Flags riding roller coasters so I may not necessarily notice the obvious at this point.  I feel like my body has been abused.  Went on Viper, Tatsu, Batman the Ride, Riddler's Revenge, Green Latern (I think it was called that), Golaith, and X2.  Those rides are pretty crazy.  Especially Tatsu and X2.

• Administrator
« Reply #1308 on: May 05, 2013, 06:45:28 AM »
Am I missing something about that card?  What is he claiming that is so special? 
they mistakenly believe they have a cloth version. but it's not.
I see the auction has been taken down.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1309 on: May 07, 2013, 03:28:35 AM »
Well, probably not "nuts" but this one is defintely a victim of a quick auction creation using another as a template and not going back to edit.... eBay auction: #221224017554

Rarer than a 1973 sketch card? I think not.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #1310 on: May 07, 2013, 05:03:52 AM »
Well, probably not "nuts" but this one is defintely a victim of a quick auction creation using another as a template and not going back to edit.... eBay auction: #221224017554

Rarer than a 1973 sketch card? I think not.
He puts sketch in most of his listing titles. I think he is trying to get as many search hits as possible.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1311 on: May 07, 2013, 06:03:53 AM »
It's called keyword spamming, and not only is it a violation of ebay policy, but it just turns people off because they get sucked into your auctions when they're not really interested.

Offline MadMike

« Reply #1312 on: May 12, 2013, 08:22:22 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221215235537?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I think I was nuts not to buy this great sketch.  Amazing art!

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #1313 on: May 14, 2013, 08:57:31 PM »
Check out this auction for a partial dicut. The auction states "It also has a portion cut away for reasons unknown." :]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1967-Topps-Wacky-Packages-6-Slum-Maid-Raisins-Card-Test-Print-w-o-Die-Cut-/190812497567?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6d4fa69f

• Administrator
« Reply #1314 on: May 14, 2013, 09:15:20 PM »
Check out this auction for a partial dicut. The auction states "It also has a portion cut away for reasons unknown." :]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1967-Topps-Wacky-Packages-6-Slum-Maid-Raisins-Card-Test-Print-w-o-Die-Cut-/190812497567?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6d4fa69f

whatever. total bs.

we already know *exactly* why there is a piece cut out of that. they cut up a toppsvault proof sheet.

I see they submitted a Jolly Mean from that sheet for grading too. Doesn't GAI care that it's a modern day cut? Is that worse than trimming?

http://www.wackypackages.org/auctionsarchive/diecut_proof_2119169552.htm

« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 09:22:50 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Online Bigmuc13

« Reply #1315 on: May 15, 2013, 07:51:55 AM »
whatever. total bs.

we already know *exactly* why there is a piece cut out of that. they cut up a toppsvault proof sheet.

I see they submitted a Jolly Mean from that sheet for grading too. Doesn't GAI care that it's a modern day cut? Is that worse than trimming?

(Image removed from quote.)

Does anyone know who db2995 is?  Good detective work.  I see that he won that proof sheet a while ago.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Porkie

« Reply #1316 on: May 15, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »
Wow. Indeed: nice detective work!  :great:

Seems likely this seller is going to cut these up and try to pass them off - one by one - as some kind of "Wacky Mystery".

Heck, they'll probably try weird pairs of them (since it actually takes them less time/energy/whatever) as "Lost Hostess Wackys?!? L@@K!!".

Evil.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:24:57 AM by Porkie »

• Administrator
« Reply #1317 on: May 15, 2013, 12:27:42 PM »
Seems likely this seller is going to cut these up and try to pass them off - one by one - as some kind of "Wacky Mystery".
they're currently selling a GAI 9 Jolly Mean from this sheet - and they just say it's an interesting proof card without a die-cut.

seems like a total sham to allow modern day card cutting to count towards high grades. it's worse than trimming, as it's not obvious.
but whatever it takes to get those pointy corners, a high grade, and more money, I guess

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #1318 on: May 15, 2013, 01:51:11 PM »
they're currently selling a GAI 9 Jolly Mean from this sheet - and they just say it's an interesting proof card without a die-cut.

seems like a total sham to allow modern day card cutting to count towards high grades. it's worse than trimming, as it's not obvious.
but whatever it takes to get those pointy corners, a high grade, and more money, I guess

You think taking an uncut sheet and having it professionally cut is worse than trimming a card down to give it sharp corners?  If so I don't agree with that.  Having an uncut sheet cut down, assuming it is done properly with a commercial guillotine machine, is basically yielding the same cards that came out of packs.  Trimming cards is cheating in order to get a higher grade, and in most cases will result in a smaller than the 2.5" x 3.5" proper spec.   

I do think however that if someone has an uncut sheet and has it cut into singles, it should be divulged during a sale so there's nothing hidden about it, but I don't consider it cheating or dishonest if the information isn't hidden from the sale.     

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1319 on: May 15, 2013, 02:04:16 PM »

I do think however that if someone has an uncut sheet and has it cut into singles, it should be divulged during a sale so there's nothing hidden about it, but I don't consider it cheating or dishonest if the information isn't hidden from the sale.     

Bingo. It's fine as long as it's divulged, the problem is when the card is ultimately re-sold it will eventually not be divulged by a greedy seller. PSA refuses to grade sheet cut cards, and as long as they can ascertain that, I'm glad, because I wouldn't want one at any price, and certainly not at the huge premium an original high grade example would bring.

• Administrator
« Reply #1320 on: May 15, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »
Bingo. It's fine as long as it's divulged, the problem is when the card is ultimately re-sold it will eventually not be divulged by a greedy seller. PSA refuses to grade sheet cut cards, and as long as they can ascertain that, I'm glad, because I wouldn't want one at any price, and certainly not at the huge premium an original high grade example would bring.
if the seller would divulge it, that'd be nice, but clearly db2995 doesn't find that necessary.
he bought the original sheet, cut it up and he's selling the cut cards without stating that info.
$900 for a 'fake' mint Jolly Mean. and some sucker will probably buy it too.

• Administrator
« Reply #1321 on: May 15, 2013, 03:57:34 PM »
You think taking an uncut sheet and having it professionally cut is worse than trimming a card down to give it sharp corners?  If so I don't agree with that. 
I do think it's worse. it's fraud that's almost undetectable.
At least PSA has some standards and won't grade these fakes.
trimming is deceitful too, but has a better chance of being spotted by collectors, not just grading services, because of the incorrect card size

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #1322 on: May 15, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »
whatever. total bs.

"1967 Topps Wacky Packages Die-Cuts Uncut Proof Sheet. Direct from Topps' legendary Vault, this is an actual in-house production sheet featuring 87 1967 Wacky Packages die-cuts. Includes the big three, Ratz Crackers, Cracked Animals and Boredom's Instant Coffee."

I'm guessing that Boredom's is listed as one of the big three since it was the first card and was thought to have been damaged by being on top (as the theory goes). But really?

Offline MadMike

« Reply #1323 on: May 15, 2013, 05:39:24 PM »
Columbo could not have figured this mystery out any better.  I love it!  Talk about your hand being caught in the cookie jar. 

Fabulous detective work!

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #1324 on: May 15, 2013, 05:50:22 PM »
The real irony here is that this probably never would have been discovered had he not listed a $67.00 item on Ebay.   $67.00 in greed has probably foiled his plot.  I hope most of the avid Wacky collectors see this and avoid any 1967 series without the die cut.   Kudos to the sleuth!

Offline Kook

« Reply #1325 on: May 15, 2013, 07:26:47 PM »
whatever. total bs.

(Image removed from quote.)

That was an amazing call! What I don't understand is the attraction of a proof over a regular diecut anyway, nevermind its shady history. It even says in the auction that its missing the gum backing. Anyone interested in grading wouldn't be able to enter any of the proofs from the sheet into their registry sets, even if GAI grades them at 9s. I could see cutting up the sheet if it was a production sheet i.e. diecut & gummed, but the original sheet & GAI slabbed cards seem awfully expensive to me as is.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #1326 on: May 15, 2013, 08:29:34 PM »
Interesting too that they chose to post a sticker that would lead back to this possible connection. If they were really smart they would have listed all the others first, starting with "normal" stickers (e.g. 1st series more commons), then move to 1st series rare, then more rare, and then to some of the die-cuts but even then chose those without the one real clue to point to their deception - the very distinctive cut!

Greed is an amazing thing. And seems to be fairly rampant these days.

Online Bigmuc13

« Reply #1327 on: May 16, 2013, 05:12:26 AM »

Totally agree. Even if the first seller decides to include all info, there is no guarantee that anyone else in the future would, or even know of it or remember it.

Online Bigmuc13

« Reply #1328 on: May 16, 2013, 05:14:01 AM »
The real irony here is that this probably never would have been discovered had he not listed a $67.00 item on Ebay.   $67.00 in greed has probably foiled his plot.  I hope most of the avid Wacky collectors see this and avoid any 1967 series without the die cut.   Kudos to the sleuth!

Very true.  Why would he bother to try to sell a die cut with a huge chunk taken out of it?  That cut out part is pretty obvious to anyone who ever saw that uncut sheet.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #1329 on: May 16, 2013, 06:01:24 AM »
I do think it's worse. it's fraud that's almost undetectable.
At least PSA has some standards and won't grade these fakes.
trimming is deceitful too, but has a better chance of being spotted by collectors, not just grading services, because of the incorrect card size

I look at it a little differently.  If you divulge the fact the you had an uncut sheet cut up, although sheet collectors may frown upon it I think most would agree there's nothing deceptive or dishonest about it.  Is it okay to trim a card down to attain sharp corners if you divulge the information during a sale?  No, it's cheating.  I guess it's better than trimming and not divulging what you did, but it's still cheating and changes the proper spec of the card.  To me if you divulge the fact that you had an uncut sheet cut down (again, assuming it is done properly) it's not cheating.   That's why I think card cutting is worse.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)