Author Topic: Wikipedia Wacky Packages article altered  (Read 742 times)

Offline mikecho

Wikipedia Wacky Packages article altered
« on: October 04, 2019, 10:46:21 AM »
You'll never believe what I just discovered.

I was looking up the Wikipedia article on Wacky Packages and found out that someone had reduced it down to the bare bones! All of the information that I'd worked on for years was gone!

And not just there, but the article on Underworld Unleashed, which I'd also worked on for so long, had been reduced down to what it originally was before I fixed it! Now what kind of person does that?

I know that Wikipedia articles can be edited by anyone, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it! All my work ruined and I don't even know if I can get it back!

I'm sorry, guys, I just had to say something. Thanks for understanding.

Re: Wikipedia Wacky Packages article altered
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 11:09:17 AM »
you can EASILY get it back, just by looking at the history pages
every change and update going back years and years

possibly done by Binksternet on Sept 28, who indicates they are rolling changes way back, but for no reason at all provided.
perhaps you can 'undo' or challenge their edits

Offline CaseyRob

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 01:57:23 PM »
It won't let you "undo" the thing wholesale because there have been numerous edits since then; but if you want to restore parts of it all of what you had written is still there if you compare old versions.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 03:48:46 PM »
you can EASILY get it back, just by looking at the history pages
every change and update going back years and years

possibly done by Binksternet on Sept 28, who indicates they are rolling changes way back, but for no reason at all provided.
perhaps you can 'undo' or challenge their edits
Thanks for the tip! It's back to normal and I suddenly feel much better!

UPDATE: Today they were switched back, but I switched them back again and explained what I did for both of them. Last time that I looked they've stayed that way.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 01:34:36 PM by mikecho »

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 09:25:20 AM »
I seem to remember this same battle taking place a few years ago where someone kept changing and deleting information from the article.  Looks like your stuff may have been removed again:

curprev 11:44, 6 October 2019‎ 97.81.89.65 talk‎ 15,857 bytes -14,399‎ Removed references to value, rarity, extended inside baseball on how to identify which series a card was published in, what constitutes a "complete" set, and references with no citations to business decisions made by Topps; numerous stylistic changes. I acknowledge that the information the author has amassed is extensive, and obviously the result of years of painstaking effort; but it is ultimately information for the serious hobbyist, while Wikipedia serves a much broader audience. undo
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 04:40:04 PM »
I think the party changing it does have a point. A Wikipedia article shouldn’t necessarily have that level of detail. But that’s what’s annoying about Wikipedia, whose job is it to decide that?

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 10:20:04 AM »
I think the party changing it does have a point. A Wikipedia article shouldn’t necessarily have that level of detail. But that’s what’s annoying about Wikipedia, whose job is it to decide that?

To me, that's the whole point of going to Wikipedia; details! smh.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 11:05:39 AM »
I seem to remember this same battle taking place a few years ago where someone kept changing and deleting information from the article.  Looks like your stuff may have been removed again:

curprev 11:44, 6 October 2019‎ 97.81.89.65 talk‎ 15,857 bytes -14,399‎ Removed references to value, rarity, extended inside baseball on how to identify which series a card was published in, what constitutes a "complete" set, and references with no citations to business decisions made by Topps; numerous stylistic changes. I acknowledge that the information the author has amassed is extensive, and obviously the result of years of painstaking effort; but it is ultimately information for the serious hobbyist, while Wikipedia serves a much broader audience. undo
Last night I looked at it again. Yes, it's been changed again, but this time I like it.

This person kept the basics of my contributions and, though he removed many of the details, the gist of it was still there.

Now if only someone will do the same to the Underworld Unleashed article that I've contributed to and that someone seems dedicated to do the same thing to...

UPDATE: Correction: that someone stripped the Underworld Unleashed article down to the bare bones. Even the lists of superheroes, supervillains and comic book titles involved in it are all gone. Oh well, I tried...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 02:56:07 PM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 12:03:51 PM »
That's right - who's in charge there? And is it possible to go over someone's head if something like this does happen?

Well, I guess I'll never know.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 02:56:40 PM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 08:19:41 PM »
It won't let you "undo" the thing wholesale because there have been numerous edits since then; but if you want to restore parts of it all of what you had written is still there if you compare old versions.
Yes, and I'll soon copy my version off of a copy machine so that I can have a copy of the Underworld Unleashed article for myself, recent additions of mine to that version and all. Then I'll just switch it back to what it is now.

They can't keep me from doing that, even if they won't let me put my version back.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 05:07:15 AM by mikecho »

Offline CaseyRob

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 03:25:09 AM »
That's right - who's in charge there? And is it possible to go over someone's head if something like this does happen?

Well, I guess I'll never know.

There are ways to flag an article for moderator attention if it's being subject to vandalism, or if someone is constantly reverting changes; and they'll lock the article for awhile. I had to do this earlier this year when somebody was regularly (like, every few days) changing Ned Beatty's article to say he had died.

Offline Rictor

• Card For Sale
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 02:21:01 PM »
Well, if you think of Wikipedia as an encyclopedia, which it is, the idea is to have a short article on everything.  The Wacky Packages article really just needs to answer the question, "What are Wacky Packages?".  People looking for more detailed info should be able to go to the referenced sources of the article.  I imagine this is part of a broader push at the website to cut costs by trimming as many articles as possible.  The larger a page, the more bandwidth it uses.  I'm sure they really crack down on images but even text adds to bandwidth costs.

I'm surprised a university, government or other public institution hasn't tried to create a similar site that is supported by research like a traditional encyclopedia but is still free.  There are paid online encyclopedias that are more trustworthy than Wikipedia and can safely be quoted in scholarly papers and such.  As a former journalist, it cracks me up how many "news" articles I read that are basically a cut and paste from Wikipedia with a few sentences added.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 05:01:29 PM »
You'll never believe this, but the Underworld Unleashed Wikipedia article is back to normal - details and all!

Someone out there besides me likes it, obviously.