Author Topic: ANS 7 Tally  (Read 19962 times)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
Re: ANS 7 Tally
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2011, 07:48:37 PM »
That's a rare lesson I wish they'd taught in school. In fact there's a lot of useful real life stuff schools should teach rather than a lot of the useless crap they waste time with. Anyway 2010 was a great year for Wackys.

I agree. Not to sound like my parents but, so many "kids today" do not even exhibit common sense quality's and are becoming more and more anti social. Those 2 traits are especially useful in emergency situations. They'll just scream and run around in circles. Schools are too concerned with the superficial politically correctness bull shit.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
That's one of the "dicey" issues you risk by making your hobby a business.  It opens up a bunch of issues that can damage your enthusiasm for the hobby overall.  It's not impossible to make it all work but's it's certainly not easy.

When Greg first announced that he was selling the large LTL prints of Wackys and he showed photos of them in house, it looked like a Wacky Sanford and Son Salvage Yard. There was stuff Everywhere! It was just overwhelming and a little creepy too. When you just see boxes upon boxes of stuff strewn on your living room floor. You can make a hobby your business but this also became his life as well. So the temptation to continue is too much to stop now.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2011, 09:24:50 PM »
I agree. Not to sound like my parents but, so many "kids today" do not even exhibit common sense quality's and are becoming more and more anti social. Those 2 traits are especially useful in emergency situations. They'll just scream and run around in circles. Schools are too concerned with the superficial politically correctness bull shit.

I saw a great cartoon in Funny Times. An old, cranky guy is saying, "Kid's today are self-centered, lazy and rude.... just like we taught 'em."

But in comparison, my kid is 100 time more responsible that I was at her age.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2011, 04:18:35 PM »
I saw a great cartoon in Funny Times. An old, cranky guy is saying, "Kid's today are self-centered, lazy and rude.... just like we taught 'em."
There's a good recent cartoon on the Fairly Odd Parents where Timmy's Grandpop watches him and give's him a lesson in old school wisdom. But first the fairys make them into cartoons. It's a good one called, Good Ol Day's.
But in comparison, my kid is 100 time more responsible that I was at her age.

That's good to hear. There is hope ! :great:

Sometimes I tend to look at the crappy side of things because it is so damn annoying. Gotta try to ignore it and focus on the positive.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2011, 06:05:25 PM »
So on Fridays, instead of buying a lottery ticket, I went to K-mart and bought two packs of ANS 7. One was had commons and the second made my day- A GOLD Octavia

Wow, this coming off a crappy work week

Choke-Wagon

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2011, 06:50:59 PM »
So on Fridays, instead of buying a lottery ticket, I went to K-mart and bought two packs of ANS 7. One was had commons and the second made my day- A GOLD Octavia

Choke-Wagon

Congrats on your Gold Octavia. I remember doing the same thing sort of. On a hunch, I went out of my way to stop into a Target to buy a few FB1 Packs from the Gravity Feed there. Bought 4 or 5 packs, got my first gold.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2011, 10:23:42 AM »
Choke Wagon that's great!  That's the kind of story there were too few of on ANS 7.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2011, 09:43:01 AM »
Last night I decided to open another 24 pack box of ANS 7. Was recently trying to sell a few boxes on E-bay and no bites. I figured might as well open up a box for myself then and see what happens. Well we were crackin' packs and I was definately beating the odds on basic foils and kept checking for an autograph. At about the 18th pack, I pulled the cards from the wrapper and first saw Jay Lynch's autograph on the back of the card. I just figured it was probably a Foil Card autograph. No, when I flipped it over I was surprised to see it was a Salmon Joy Sketch Card !!  :o Too cool.

That was great, but right from the pack the card has a ding on the bottom right corner and some kind of wierd indentation of a straight line in it (sort of like a roller mark would be, looks kind of like it was made from a machine).

Doesn't matter, I am happy with it. The detail is amazing. I throw a pic. up here later. And to think, I might have sold this box!  :^)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:44:33 AM by Playbug »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2011, 10:18:14 AM »
Playbug that's awesome!  It looks like some ANS 7 luck is descending.  You are now part of a very exclusive group.  I think your the forth person on the forum to pull an ANS 7 sketch! 

If the count I'm keeping is accurate that's the third Jay Lynch Salmon Joy sketch.  I wonder how many Jay did of each?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2011, 01:59:33 PM »
Last night I decided to open another 24 pack box of ANS 7. Was recently trying to sell a few boxes on E-bay and no bites. I figured might as well open up a box for myself then and see what happens. Well we were crackin' packs and I was definately beating the odds on basic foils and kept checking for an autograph. At about the 18th pack, I pulled the cards from the wrapper and first saw Jay Lynch's autograph on the back of the card. I just figured it was probably a Foil Card autograph. No, when I flipped it over I was surprised to see it was a Salmon Joy Sketch Card !!  :o Too cool.

That was great, but right from the pack the card has a ding on the bottom right corner and some kind of wierd indentation of a straight line in it (sort of like a roller mark would be, looks kind of like it was made from a machine).

Doesn't matter, I am happy with it. The detail is amazing. I throw a pic. up here later. And to think, I might have sold this box!  :^)

Cool!  Can you post of scan of it so we can see it?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2011, 06:33:59 PM »
Congrats Playbug, I still to find a sketch but I might find one next Friday, I'm doubling up in hopes of another great find.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2011, 09:00:14 PM »
Cool!  Can you post of scan of it so we can see it?

I don't have a high res scanner, so here's a picture..

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2011, 05:42:54 AM »
I don't have a high res scanner, so here's a picture..

That corner ding is a bummer.  can't you smooth it out a little with your fingernail?

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2011, 02:34:29 PM »
That corner ding is a bummer.  can't you smooth it out a little with your fingernail?

Yeah, I could but it's one of those that the actual edge is split. The real bummer is that the card came that way. You get millions of black boarder base cards in perfect shape, then you finally get a sketch and it has this. I still love it.  :D With this series I also noticed a huge amount of my foil cards came with dings in the bottom corners as well right from the packs. And the boxes had no signs of damage, so it was the cards right from the factory. At least half of the Pupsi's I pulled had it. At one point I thought I wasn't going to be able to get a Pupsi without it having a corner ding.  >(

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2011, 03:00:59 PM »
Yeah, I could but it's one of those that the actual edge is split. The real bummer is that the card came that way. You get millions of black boarder base cards in perfect shape, then you finally get a sketch and it has this. I still love it.  :D With this series I also noticed a huge amount of my foil cards came with dings in the bottom corners as well right from the packs. And the boxes had no signs of damage, so it was the cards right from the factory. At least half of the Pupsi's I pulled had it. At one point I thought I wasn't going to be able to get a Pupsi without it having a corner ding.  >(
I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. The sketch cards are handled way more than the factory cards. Sketch cards have to travel from the printer to Topps, get checked out, get jammed into a bunch of smaller packages, take the UPS roller coaster to the artists, then bang around on the artists desks dodging paint spills and coffee splatters, get all drawn up, get slammed back in a box, fly back to Topps on another bumpy trip, go from there to the printing company and finally get shove into the packs.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2011, 09:51:12 PM »
I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. The sketch cards are handled way more than the factory cards. Sketch cards have to travel from the printer to Topps, get checked out, get jammed into a bunch of smaller packages, take the UPS roller coaster to the artists, then bang around on the artists desks dodging paint spills and coffee splatters, get all drawn up, get slammed back in a box, fly back to Topps on another bumpy trip, go from there to the printing company and finally get shove into the packs.

Thanks for shedding some light on the matter. I didn't realize they did all that traveling. Thinking about it now, I see that they have to be handled way more.

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2011, 11:39:26 AM »
Thanks for shedding some light on the matter. I didn't realize they did all that traveling. Thinking about it now, I see that they have to be handled way more.

Here is another possible option.  Get in touch with Topps' customer service for a "replacement".  You may not get the exact same sketch but you should get an undamaged one.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2011, 02:19:45 PM »
Here is another possible option.  Get in touch with Topps' customer service for a "replacement".  You may not get the exact same sketch but you should get an undamaged one.

I didn't think they had any because they were all put into the ANS 7 packs. Isn't there a set number of them made and then the odds of pulling one based on that? Do they keep some extra for just such an occasion?

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2011, 12:47:54 AM »

Lucky!! This is something we all hope happens to us.

Offline wackygarbage

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2011, 02:59:18 AM »

Choke-Wagon

I had a very similar, but even more amazing pull from a gravity feed box at my local Wal-Mart.  I had a hunch to stop by to see if maybe they had any packs and they DID!!!  Only 13, but they had some.  About the 8th pack into opening them up I pulled a sketch card (Wheaton "Crust") AND a slightly damaged Gold Flash Octavia (I think?)  I sent the damaged gold card back to Topps while I had it listed for sale on eBay.  It sold for around $192.00 if I remember correctly.  Topps replaced the card for me and the person who won the auction was quite happy.  The Wheaton Sketch, which I really wanted to keep, I ended up selling for $1200.00.  So $29.00 with tax worth of packs netted me almost $1400.00. 

So far I think I am the only person who has pulled a gold and a sketch out of a single pack!!!  I think I should have a monument!

Of course I have already blown all of that searching for more damn sketch cards, gold cards, and autographed foil cards. 

I do have 3 gold flash cards for sale if anyone needs or wants any of them.  I have #4 of 20 (Ogre-Eaters), #12 of 20 (Hide), and #17 of 20 (Spread Bull Negative Energy Drink).  I would like $249.00 each for the golds, but I am willing to trade them for other items.  I also have an F6 "Screamsicle" Autographed Classic Foil card for sale/trade.  I am looking for at least $49.00 for the Auto card or equal in trade.

I can be contacted through PM on this forum or by email at: michaelsfossils@yahoo.com

Thanks, Michael

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2011, 05:23:24 AM »

So far I think I am the only person who has pulled a gold and a sketch out of a single pack!!!  I think I should have a monument!

Of course I have already blown all of that searching for more damn sketch cards, gold cards, and autographed foil cards. 

Thanks, Michael

I was pretty lucky as well during the "hot" period of opening packs, but like you it's been watered down with small purchases since that yielded me nothing.  You know when you're up a few hundred bucks on a slot machine and you know if you keep playing you will eventually be in the hole?  That's what this is like.  The odds were stacked against us on this series. 

I've bought 20 packs here and 20 packs there at retail stores when I see them, and probably blown several hundred more dollars that way, but got nothing good out of it.  I still enjoy opening packs but it gets to the point where you feel like you are flushing money down the toilet!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2011, 07:55:42 AM »
I had a very similar, but even more amazing pull from a gravity feed box at my local Wal-Mart.  I had a hunch to stop by to see if maybe they had any packs and they DID!!!  Only 13, but they had some.  About the 8th pack into opening them up I pulled a sketch card (Wheaton "Crust") AND a slightly damaged Gold Flash Octavia (I think?)  I sent the damaged gold card back to Topps while I had it listed for sale on eBay.  It sold for around $192.00 if I remember correctly.  Topps replaced the card for me and the person who won the auction was quite happy.  The Wheaton Sketch, which I really wanted to keep, I ended up selling for $1200.00.  So $29.00 with tax worth of packs netted me almost $1400.00. 

I do have 3 gold flash cards for sale if anyone needs or wants any of them.  I have #4 of 20 (Ogre-Eaters), #12 of 20 (Hide), and #17 of 20 (Spread Bull Negative Energy Drink).  I would like $249.00 each for the golds, but I am willing to trade them for other items.  I also have an F6 "Screamsicle" Autographed Classic Foil card for sale/trade.  I am looking for at least $49.00 for the Auto card or equal in trade.

I can be contacted through PM on this forum or by email at: michaelsfossils@yahoo.com

Thanks, Michael

I had terrible luck with ANS7. I think I purchased about $2K worth of packs from Gravity feeds from several cities and never pulled a sketch. I did pull about 3 or 4 golds but that was about it. On the other hand I had great luck with OLDS1 and pulling color sketches. I ended up selling the color sketches to buy more boxes.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2011, 11:39:06 AM »
I had terrible luck with ANS7. I think I purchased about $2K worth of packs from Gravity feeds from several cities and never pulled a sketch. I did pull about 3 or 4 golds but that was about it. On the other hand I had great luck with OLDS1 and pulling color sketches. I ended up selling the color sketches to buy more boxes.

If my recollection is accurate you did very well with most of the series prior to ANS7, like unusually lucky. 

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2011, 11:41:37 AM »
I still have an unlocked post card pack, 6b and a few old school unopened packs, maybe color sketches?? 

Its fun when the hope is still there!
Still looking for Series 17

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2011, 02:16:35 PM »
If my recollection is accurate you did very well with most of the series prior to ANS7, like unusually lucky. 
I think I got pretty lucky with OLDS and color pulls. My only problem is I love the chase. I was so excited to see what cool sketches I could pull. I had to sell the colors to buy more. I think I even paid about $1000 just in overnight shipping charges throughout the series. I ended up with all of the B&W's except for the cow and I also have a couple nitwits and one nitwit close up that is on the poster. Overall I'm very pleased with what I ended up with. I don't remember how many colored I pulled but I would think it was around 8 or 9. Leslie also had very good luck. She would buy 10 boxes at a time and I think she pulled about 4 or 5 colored in a row. It was crazy. She had a theory if she only bought small lots that her chances were much better than buying bulk.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2011, 07:09:02 PM »
I think I got pretty lucky with OLDS and color pulls. My only problem is I love the chase. I was so excited to see what cool sketches I could pull. I had to sell the colors to buy more. I think I even paid about $1000 just in overnight shipping charges throughout the series. I ended up with all of the B&W's except for the cow and I also have a couple nitwits and one nitwit close up that is on the poster. Overall I'm very pleased with what I ended up with. I don't remember how many colored I pulled but I would think it was around 8 or 9. Leslie also had very good luck. She would buy 10 boxes at a time and I think she pulled about 4 or 5 colored in a row. It was crazy. She had a theory if she only bought small lots that her chances were much better than buying bulk.

But what about the Flashback series?  Didn't you get a hot box of golds or something? 

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2011, 07:12:50 PM »
I'm surprised no one has commented or has any good information on this recommended remedy that was suggested to me:

Here is another possible option. Get in touch with Topps' customer service for a "replacement".  You may not get the exact same sketch but you should get an undamaged one.

And my reply:

I didn't think they had any extra's because they were all put into the ANS 7 packs. Isn't there a set number of sketches made and then the odds of pulling one based on that? Do they keep some "extra's" for just such an occasion?  Then what happens to the "extra's" if they are not used for replacements of defectives?

Does anyone know how Topps handles this?  This raises a lot of questions.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2011, 07:53:50 PM »
I'm surprised no one has commented or has any good information on this recommended remedy that was suggested to me:

Here is another possible option. Get in touch with Topps' customer service for a "replacement".  You may not get the exact same sketch but you should get an undamaged one.

And my reply:

I didn't think they had any extra's because they were all put into the ANS 7 packs. Isn't there a set number of sketches made and then the odds of pulling one based on that? Do they keep some "extra's" for just such an occasion?  Then what happens to the "extra's" if they are not used for replacements of defectives?

No idea on sketches but I did get a gold replaced.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2011, 07:55:19 PM »
But what about the Flashback series?  Didn't you get a hot box of golds or something? 

There was a forum member that got something like 16 gold in a case. My best was 3 in a case.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2011, 07:58:23 PM »

There's an interview with a Topps editor about their sketch card handling here: http://www.sketchcollectors.com/index.php?newsid=57#news

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2011, 08:06:52 PM »
There's an interview with a Topps editor about their sketch card handling here: http://www.sketchcollectors.com/index.php?newsid=57#news

No mention of artist return cards in that I see.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2011, 08:25:17 PM »
No mention of artist return cards in that I see.

Maybe because the returns don't factor into the ratios? I dunno.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2011, 08:42:27 PM »

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2011, 09:55:17 PM »
I just put another ANS return sketch card on ebay.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260735198742&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123
Nice card JL.......I prefer my art 5x7 or 6x8 like Doomstone........... ........... ...........
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

anything