Author Topic: Can anyone offer a Qualified Appraisal?  (Read 6891 times)

Offline wackypackster

Can anyone offer a Qualified Appraisal?
« on: December 02, 2010, 04:19:20 PM »
1967 Wacky Packages complete set of 44 cards in nm condition, including the Ratz and Cracked in ex/nm. All cards are stored in archival mylar penny sleeves and semi-rigid flexible holders (as was suggested on this forum by some helpful folks earlier this year.)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Can anyone offer a Qualified Appraisal?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 04:38:26 PM »
1967 Wacky Packages complete set of 44 cards in nm condition, including the Ratz and Cracked in ex/nm. All cards are stored in archival mylar penny sleeves and semi-rigid flexible holders (as was suggested on this forum by some helpful folks earlier this year.)

It all depends on what you classify as NM. nM is really tough with die cuts. In EX condition you would probably looking at $6k. In NM it could go through the roof. If they are truly NM I would send the ratz and cracked in for grading.

Offline wackypackster

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 04:49:14 PM »
I've considered having the entire set graded, but I think that would cost hundreds of dollars.  Plus I'm on the east coast and PSA is on the west coast (I think), and being without any experience in the grading/shipping process leaves me a little hesitant to follow through.  Thanks for "guesstimation" though, it's much appreciated.

Offline Kook

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 05:35:04 PM »
I've considered having the entire set graded, but I think that would cost hundreds of dollars.  Plus I'm on the east coast and PSA is on the west coast (I think), and being without any experience in the grading/shipping process leaves me a little hesitant to follow through.  Thanks for "guesstimation" though, it's much appreciated.

It does take a little work, and it may cost you a few hundred dollars to get the set graded but if they truly are nm, you will get many times your investment back.

I just joined PSA & sent in a bunch of diecuts recently that I thought were nm, and most came back psa6. It really makes you appreciate the 7s and 8s. It is a fun experience, and they do have good customer service for getting your questions answered.

If the set is ungraded, most (60% to 70%) of the value will be in the Ratz & Cracked. Aside from the Ratz & Cracked, sets of diecuts in nice shape have typically sold for around $1000 on ebay with alt titles in place of Ratz & Cracked. If these 44 titles are 7s or 8s, you could expect $50 (for 7s) to $100+ (for 8s) (and more for non-repeat titles) so that would make the value $2200 to $4400 aside from Ratz/Cracked. Not a bad return on a few hundred dollar investment. Problem is, most raw "nm" cards don't turn out that way after they are graded.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 05:37:38 PM by billf »

Offline wackypackster

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 05:49:45 PM »
billf,

did you call PSA before you sent in your diecuts to make arrangements?  how long did it take to have them returned? 

Offline Kook

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 07:45:55 PM »
billf,

did you call PSA before you sent in your diecuts to make arrangements?  how long did it take to have them returned? 
In order to send cards in, you have to become a member. With your silver or gold membership, you get 6 or 15 cards graded for free. Turnaround time for membership grades is 7 business days from their receipt. Regular grading is the same, I believe and they have economy for 30 to 40 days turnaround time. You can goto psacard.com for all the turnaround times, fees & membership details. The form you need to send in with the packaging is a little complicated, so I made several calls to their toll-free support, which was very helpful. You don't have to make prearrangements (other than membership), just fill out the form and send in the package & they take it from there.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 08:50:57 PM »
and be sure to insure anything like this you send in the mail and take lots of good pictures (front/back) beforehand!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 05:59:31 AM »
and be sure to insure anything like this you send in the mail and take lots of good pictures (front/back) beforehand!

Actually you have to ship registered mail. It is well insured and is under lock and key by the PO the whole trip. Remember you have to use brown tape that you have to self moisten to send registered. All seams of the box have to be covered. They also stamp all edges to prove no tampering. Your package will be very safe.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 10:13:26 PM »
Actually you have to ship registered mail. It is well insured and is under lock and key by the PO the whole trip. Remember you have to use brown tape that you have to self moisten to send registered. All seams of the box have to be covered. They also stamp all edges to prove no tampering. Your package will be very safe.

Perfect. And very good to know, as I've wondered how the whole process works. :great:

Offline HawaiianPunks

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 06:43:59 AM »

I would be very surprised if the cards are truly NM.  One, as others have stated, die-cuts are very difficult to find in true NM condition.  Two, many people over grade their cards.

If you do send them in and get back mostly 6s and below, you will actually hurt their perceived value.  If you are looking to sell them, just list them on eBay as NM.  Someone will overpay.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 07:30:48 AM »
I would be very surprised if the cards are truly NM.  One, as others have stated, die-cuts are very difficult to find in true NM condition.  Two, many people over grade their cards.

If you do send them in and get back mostly 6s and below, you will actually hurt their perceived value.  If you are looking to sell them, just list them on eBay as NM.  Someone will overpay.

So, if you think they're not really NM (and would score 6 or below from PSA), just advertise them on ebay as NM?  Sounds like a winning strategy economically, but ethically challenged to say the least.

If one doesn't know enough about grading to be confident they're really NM, wouldn't it be better to be truthful about that and just show scans?

Offline wackypackster

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 08:11:42 AM »
Here's a sample photo of one of the cards, I think this one is pretty close to nm, but again I'm not an expert.  Nearly all the cards are in the same condition.  The front of the cards is what strikes me most, the colors look bright and saturated, with no scratches or creases almost like new even though they are 43-44 yrs old.

Offline HawaiianPunks

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 08:28:27 AM »
So, if you think they're not really NM (and would score 6 or below from PSA), just advertise them on ebay as NM?  Sounds like a winning strategy economically, but ethically challenged to say the least.

If one doesn't know enough about grading to be confident they're really NM, wouldn't it be better to be truthful about that and just show scans?

I was being sarcastic, but obviously it was not perceived that way...

Offline HawaiianPunks

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 08:30:08 AM »
Here's a sample photo of one of the cards, I think this one is pretty close to nm, but again I'm not an expert.  Nearly all the cards are in the same condition.  The front of the cards is what strikes me most, the colors look bright and saturated, with no scratches or creases almost like new even though they are 43-44 yrs old.

It's a nice card, but would grade at best PSA 7 (OC) IMHO, which equates to a 5.  Two points would be deducted since it is off-center.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 08:54:43 AM »
I was being sarcastic, but obviously it was not perceived that way...

LOL, now that you say it, I see the sarcasm, but frankly, so many people follow exactly this model that it sounded serious!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 08:56:36 AM »
It's a nice card, but would grade at best PSA 7 (OC) IMHO, which equates to a 5.  Two points would be deducted since it is off-center.

It's borderline, for an unqualified 7 I believe all you need is 70/30 centering, this is close to that.

Oops, I now see it is pretty far off vertically. Probably would be an OC. It is attractive though, this is a prime example of a card that would surely sell for more ungraded, getting a 7OC would be the kiss of death, yet raw I can see it garnering pretty high bids....
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 08:58:40 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline HawaiianPunks

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 09:23:57 AM »
.. getting a 7OC would be the kiss of death, yet raw I can see it garnering pretty high bids....

I totally agree.  This card would fetch a nice price if not graded.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 09:24:02 AM »
The front of the cards is what strikes me most, the colors look bright and saturated, with no scratches or creases almost like new even though they are 43-44 yrs old.

It must be the paper stock or something, but diecuts always look very white and saturated on the front compared to their first series counterparts. On the other hand, if the backs of all your diecuts are like this Ratz, they are way above average in that regard.

Offline HawaiianPunks

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 09:31:27 AM »
LOL, now that you say it, I see the sarcasm, but frankly, so many people follow exactly this model that it sounded serious!

I hear ya.  I sold a die-cut set about 4 or 5 months ago that I assessed properly at EX+.  I saw a set on eBay recently that sold for more than twice the price of mine.  The eBay set was advertised as NM+, which it was not...

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 10:09:25 AM »

That's definitely above average.  I would say EX+ at least, and would be better if the centering was a little better.  Side to side it's not bad but top-to-bottom is a little worse.  Nice and clean though!  Keep in mind a card this valuable will be scrutinized more than any other for flaws.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 10:10:26 AM »
That's definitely above average.  I would say EX+ at least, and would be better if the centering was a little better.  Side to side it's not bad but top-to-bottom is a little worse.  Nice and clean though!  Keep in mind a card this valuable will be scrutinized more than any other for flaws.

I bet it would sell for around $3K on ebay. Maybe more.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 10:15:46 AM »
I bet it would sell for around $3K on ebay. Maybe more.

It's worth that for sure but if it were me selling it I would definitely have a reserve on it.  With a high-end item like that there's some timing and luck involved, and I could see it sell for $2,500.00 or less if the right players weren't involved that particular week.  That would be a bummer for the seller.

Offline wackypackster

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 12:04:42 PM »
Anyone know what ebay charges the seller in the 2-3K range?  Also is the cracked animals card valued as much as the ratz?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 12:52:39 PM »
Anyone know what ebay charges the seller in the 2-3K range?  Also is the cracked animals card valued as much as the ratz?

Cracked & Ratz have always been very close in price so I would consider them equal in value, assuming the condition is equal. 

It looks like the listing fee is only a couple bucks and then you would be in the 9% final value fee with a max of $50.00 for an auction style listing. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 02:01:13 PM »
I've now got a total of $150 in ebay credit so I could apply that to the Ratz in January ;)