Author Topic: Where do the 1973/4 Posters fit into the timeline?  (Read 25542 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: Where do the 1973/4 Posters fit into the timeline?
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2012, 04:28:27 PM »
Nah, the Apps I got were all low #s.  Sorry.  So, you're saying that there are also GOLDS and SKETCHES for series 9?  What the...?  They've gone completely chase-card insane!  How is THAT fun?  You'd have to buy $1000 worth of boxes to get a complete set, then.  I guess it's "fun" for Topps.  But tedious for you guys.  No way am I going to contribute to that madness.  The common sets offer plenty of eye candy.  Who needs all the extra junk?  I can't even imagine how many folders & pages it takes to have a complete set of everything... and it would end up being worth more than an original run of 1-16.  Toadal insanity.  How do you guys put up with it?  Doesn't it annoy the heck out of you being forced to buy that many boxes just to get a shot at all of it?

So, how many collectors here have a totally complete run of ANS 1 to 8 (with all variations) so far? (Just curious).

It is true that chasers are here are probably here to stay.  Sketch cards have been the recent fad have created a lot of buyers buying box after box just to get a sketch.  With certain series the sketch cards are a huge selling point and keep collectors buying boxes long after they've completed their sets.  It adds a whole new element to collecting that can be fun, albeit expensive if you want one from every artist.

The negative to the chasers like the golds and the sketch cards is that it is virtually impossible to keep up with for the average collector because it requires too much money, which is frustrating for many collectors who used to be completists.  I personally had a run going of every variation including golds, but I bowed out when I found out that ANS9 would have 55 golds.  I finally gave up.  To put a set of ANS9 golds together would take between $5K - $7K, so with several series like that it gets silly.  I'll try to keep everything but the golds going, but even that can be tough! 

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2012, 04:42:59 PM »
... So, how many collectors here have a totally complete run of ANS 1 to 8 (with all variations) so far? (Just curious).

I come close but only get one gold border for each set and usually just get 1 sketch card. Still don't have a sketch for ANS7 though.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2012, 05:02:25 PM »
I do excluding the Golds and alot of sketches. (And still missing a few silvers)
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2012, 05:04:15 PM »
To put a set of ANS9 golds together would take between $5K - $7K, so with several series like that it gets silly.  I'll try to keep everything but the golds going, but even that can be tough! 

Yah, for THAT price, I'd MUCH rather have a piece of original art, or something NOT mass-produced.  I always wonder, too, if the people working at the printing houses, etc., could easily just print up extras of chase cards & put them on eBay.  OR change how many are printed from what it says on the box.  It's certainly unethical, against policy, and strictly regulated... but would it be illegal?  Probably not.  It's not currency or an official document.  So, I can't really put much value on "manufactured rarities" like that.  I like "rare" to occur when something is changed unexpectedly.  Rare like "Bumchex".  Rare like "Toadal".  Rare like a day where you don't hear coverage of "who tweeted who about the Kardashians" on the Network news.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2012, 05:13:20 PM »
Toadally agree.  I have never sought complete sets of pinks, greens, silvers, and definitely not golds.  I added Lents to that list with ANS7.  I'd like to have at least one of each per series to display in my collection, but know that even one gold or one sketch is a pipe dream.  I have been lucky enough to get a gold every now and then.  Never a sketch. 

Yah, for THAT price, I'd MUCH rather have a piece of original art, or something NOT mass-produced.  I always wonder, too, if the people working at the printing houses, etc., could easily just print up extras of chase cards & put them on eBay.  OR change how many are printed from what it says on the box.  It's certainly unethical, against policy, and strictly regulated... but would it be illegal?  Probably not.  It's not currency or an official document.  So, I can't really put much value on "manufactured rarities" like that.  I like "rare" to occur when something is changed unexpectedly.  Rare like "Bumchex".  Rare like "Toadal".  Rare like a day where you don't hear coverage of "who tweeted who about the Kardashians" on the Network news.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2012, 09:28:06 PM »

I also totally or Toadally agree. I only completed my pinks, silvers and easier chase cards because I like opening packs and ended up with having the sets almost anyway. Just traded here for what remaining cards I needed. This forum is GREAT for that. I many cases, I've sold the manufactured rare stuff on ebay and actually ended up having a lot of stuff for practically no cost.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World