Author Topic: Need opinions!  (Read 16801 times)

Offline Kook

Re: Need opinions!
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2010, 07:49:31 PM »
The 10 titles I have in screwdowns from S1-16 are............

BandAche
Paul Maul
Mutts
Lavirus
Spit & Spill
Bum Chex
Choke Wagon
Grime Heavy
Pupsi
Scoot N/C

Not Run Tony or Bloodweiser?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 11:27:49 AM »

I'm going to pull mine out and check again because Run Tony should probably qualify, but I know it's an even # and I definitely don't have Bloodweiser in there.  I never thought of that one as a short-print.  I always thought it was done in the same quantity as the others but for whatever reason it sells a little higher than the others in Series 15.     
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 12:23:24 PM »
You coined this term?
I believe so - during the short time I was attending shows in the late '90's and learning about the rarer titles through the various handbooks and many phone conversations with the Shoe, the elite group in 1-16 always seemed to boil down to the same seven.  Being familiar with the movie title and the Clash song as well, the nickname was easy enough to conjure up.  Now whether I was truly the first to think of it I have no idea; I can only say I thought of it before hearing anyone else say it.  And Mark could probably not vouch for me either - in forum PM chats I've had with him the past few years, he had no recollections whatsoever of our earlier card show meetings and phone conversations during the '97-'98 timeframe.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 01:47:53 PM »
I'm going to pull mine out and check again because Run Tony should probably qualify, but I know it's an even # and I definitely don't have Bloodweiser in there.  I never thought of that one as a short-print.  I always thought it was done in the same quantity as the others but for whatever reason it sells a little higher than the others in Series 15.     

I thought Run Tony was pulled due to a complaint/lawsuit (like Pupsi), but Bloodweiser simply has a higher demand?

Offline Kook

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2010, 02:13:45 PM »
I definitely don't have Bloodweiser in there.  I never thought of that one as a short-print.  I always thought it was done in the same quantity as the others but for whatever reason it sells a little higher than the others in Series 15.      

That's what I've read too, but it does sell consistently higher than all other 15th series titles. For whatever reason its price is comparable ($30 to $50 in my experience) to Pupsi, Run Tony or Spit & Spill.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2010, 02:20:04 PM »
That's what I've read too, but it does sell consistently higher than all other 15th series titles. For whatever reason its price is comparable ($30 to $50 in my experience) to Pupsi, Run Tony or Spit & Spill.

I don't think it was a short print. I believe it's just shorter in the wild since most got peeled and stuck because of popularity.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2010, 02:53:07 PM »

Wow, that seems high to me. I've seen in the $20 - $25 range.

What's funny to me with it and Pupsi is people seem to forget there were the album versions of the same cards, and lots more of those!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2010, 03:26:41 PM »
I believe so - during the short time I was attending shows in the late '90's and learning about the rarer titles through the various handbooks and many phone conversations with the Shoe, the elite group in 1-16 always seemed to boil down to the same seven.  Being familiar with the movie title and the Clash song as well, the nickname was easy enough to conjure up.  Now whether I was truly the first to think of it I have no idea; I can only say I thought of it before hearing anyone else say it.  And Mark could probably not vouch for me either - in forum PM chats I've had with him the past few years, he had no recollections whatsoever of our earlier card show meetings and phone conversations during the '97-'98 timeframe.
Who are you?  I know we folks in the original wacky pack union in that same time frame started using the term.  I think Scott Broberg used the term first but maybe he heard it from you?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2010, 03:36:45 PM »
I don't think it was a short print. I believe it's just shorter in the wild since most got peeled and stuck because of popularity.
I think I have like 13,000 series 1-16 stickers so I think I have a pretty good handle on the short prints as most of my stash was collection purchases and not me hunting down short prints so my collection should pretty much represent the bell curve so to speak.  Bloodweiser is not a short pring but Catgobite is clearly a double print(to go with Mashbox, Iron-ons and Viewmonster).  Do we have an uncut sheet that explains why Catgobite was doubled?

While we are on the topic, do we have any 14th tan sheets to examine to explain the odd double printing related to those titles?  There is an unusual surplus of IRish Rings, Fanatical and several other titles.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2010, 03:58:33 PM »
I think I have like 13,000 series 1-16 stickers so I think I have a pretty good handle on the short prints as most of my stash was collection purchases and not me hunting down short prints so my collection should pretty much represent the bell curve so to speak.  Bloodweiser is not a short pring but Catgobite is clearly a double print(to go with Mashbox, Iron-ons and Viewmonster).  Do we have an uncut sheet that explains why Catgobite was doubled?

While we are on the topic, do we have any 14th tan sheets to examine to explain the odd double printing related to those titles?  There is an unusual surplus of IRish Rings, Fanatical and several other titles.

This stuff fascinates me. I've had nowhere near as much exposure as most of you but I have noticed over the years how some stickers keep showing up over and over, and wonder if there were an uneven number of them produced.

I really wish Topps had had overflow titles they could substitute in when cards were pulled (like Barf's) so you could end up with short prints of a title added late in the series rather than duplicates.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2010, 04:12:09 PM »

$30.00 - $50.00?  Really?  That sounds very high to me.  If I pick-up Bloodweiser's I know who to sell them too!  Lol! 

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2010, 04:14:16 PM »
Wow, that seems high to me. I've seen in the $20 - $25 range.

What's funny to me with it and Pupsi is people seem to forget there were the album versions of the same cards, and lots more of those!

I actually thought the high side was $15.00, and Run Tony between $25.00 and $40.00. 

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2010, 04:18:37 PM »
Bloodweiser is not a short pring but Catgobite is clearly a double print(to go with Mashbox, Iron-ons and Viewmonster).  Do we have an uncut sheet that explains why Catgobite was doubled?

Here is the only 15th sheet I have seen and all titles are equally printed...............

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2010, 04:39:38 PM »

Now I know why I was thinking 11 and not 12 titles.  I do have 12 slabbed but there are 2 Run Tony's, one for white and tanback!..................

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2010, 05:12:30 PM »
I actually thought the high side was $15.00, and Run Tony between $25.00 and $40.00. 

That seems right to me now that I think about it. Seems like Gums was $12-$15 and Bloodweiser $15 in the 15th series.

Nice set o' slabs! ;)

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2010, 06:27:11 PM »
Here is the only 15th sheet I have seen and all titles are equally printed...............

I don't think so, Rob. The first three titles on row 1 are the same as the last three on row 3 (Fearout, Mashbox and Viewmonster), true? I believe the sheet just repeats these 3 rows 4 times, so these 3 titles are double prints. Are my eyes deceiving me?

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2010, 08:09:37 PM »
I don't think so, Rob. The first three titles on row 1 are the same as the last three on row 3 (Fearout, Mashbox and Viewmonster), true? I believe the sheet just repeats these 3 rows 4 times, so these 3 titles are double prints. Are my eyes deceiving me?

Absolutely right! Dang, I must be gettin' old... ;)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2010, 08:21:20 PM »
$30.00 - $50.00?  Really?  That sounds very high to me.  If I pick-up Bloodweiser's I know who to sell them too!  Lol! 

My sales have been in the $30-$50 range as well. Hell, I sold one a few months ago that had a blue ink spot near the top right corner and it sold in the high $20's. I have also sold a pretty decent one for around $45. I haven't looked lately but these two cards were in the last year.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2010, 05:17:04 AM »
Who are you?  I know we folks in the original wacky pack union in that same time frame started using the term.  I think Scott Broberg used the term first but maybe he heard it from you?
I'm Tom Benkert - fruitoftomb567 on the old forum.  At the last show I went to, I think summer '98 in northern NJ, I actually met you - I think we had a beer at the hotel lounge.  I know we spoke on the phone a few times before that - at that time I was mostly making contacts through the Wrapper and wasn't using the Internet yet.  Most telcons were with Shoe because he just loved talking Wackys, and I had made several purchases of vintage stuff from him as well.  As for the few shows I attended, I generally went to the Friday PM sessions only because I was working in NJ at the time so I would take half day off and head to the shows from there.  At the first show I went to in Parsippany in summer '97, I met Mark, Terry Gomes, John Mellard, Macaluso and a few others (possibly Brian Lambert, Scott Broberg).  I also went to Philly in Oct. '97 and saw most of the same people.  I became a dad in 1999 which diverted my attention away from the hobby for a while.  I was never part of any of the specific Wacky collector gatherings that started developing thereafter, such as the stuff NSU organized and the get-togethers at Greg's.  Guess I dropped out of sight just before the hobby started peaking.

I definitely remember Shoe liked the term when he heard it, so it probably stuck with him and then took on a life of its own from there.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2010, 05:29:15 AM »

Ok, that makes more sense.  When I first looked at it it looked like all the same titles but I should have seen that there were 33 titles instead of 30 per block and it wasn't a perfect set.

Offline Kook

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2010, 06:13:34 AM »
My sales have been in the $30-$50 range as well. Hell, I sold one a few months ago that had a blue ink spot near the top right corner and it sold in the high $20's. I have also sold a pretty decent one for around $45. I haven't looked lately but these two cards were in the last year.

Strange as it is too, I don't recall seeing many Bloodweisers on ebay in the last 6 to 12 months. I've seen many more BumChex, Choke Wagons & Grime Heavys in the last six months than Bloodweisers.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2010, 07:02:52 PM »
I'm Tom Benkert - fruitoftomb567 on the old forum.  At the last show I went to, I think summer '98 in northern NJ, I actually met you - I think we had a beer at the hotel lounge.  I know we spoke on the phone a few times before that - at that time I was mostly making contacts through the Wrapper and wasn't using the Internet yet.  Most telcons were with Shoe because he just loved talking Wackys, and I had made several purchases of vintage stuff from him as well.  As for the few shows I attended, I generally went to the Friday PM sessions only because I was working in NJ at the time so I would take half day off and head to the shows from there.  At the first show I went to in Parsippany in summer '97, I met Mark, Terry Gomes, John Mellard, Macaluso and a few others (possibly Brian Lambert, Scott Broberg).  I also went to Philly in Oct. '97 and saw most of the same people.  I became a dad in 1999 which diverted my attention away from the hobby for a while.  I was never part of any of the specific Wacky collector gatherings that started developing thereafter, such as the stuff NSU organized and the get-togethers at Greg's.  Guess I dropped out of sight just before the hobby started peaking.

I definitely remember Shoe liked the term when he heard it, so it probably stuck with him and then took on a life of its own from there.
Hey dude, yes, those were my first shows too!  Wasn't the show at the Parsippany Hilton?  I think Scott Kravitz was there too!  Sorry I didn't connect your forum names to you.   Glad we have reconnected!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
Strange as it is too, I don't recall seeing many Bloodweisers on ebay in the last 6 to 12 months. I've seen many more BumChex, Choke Wagons & Grime Heavys in the last six months than Bloodweisers.
I have found Bloodweisers to be plentiful in funpacks, especially the yellow wrapper ones with a 12th series checklist.  I think that might prove it was not a pulled titled and surplus series 15s to go with other surplus wackys were peddled in funpacks.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2010, 08:43:57 PM »
I have found Bloodweisers to be plentiful in funpacks, especially the yellow wrapper ones with a 12th series checklist.  I think that might prove it was not a pulled titled and surplus series 15s to go with other surplus wackys were peddled in funpacks.

Is there any way to determine if funpacks contain wackys? I had a couple that did, and recorded the number off the wrapper, only to buy some others with the same number/look that contained nothing but A-Team cards, and they were awful (TONS of duplicates and really poorly made).

Offline bandaches

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2010, 08:52:38 PM »
Is there any way to determine if funpacks contain wackys? I had a couple that did, and recorded the number off the wrapper, only to buy some others with the same number/look that contained nothing but A-Team cards, and they were awful (TONS of duplicates and really poorly made).
You are describing the multicolored stripped mystery packs.  I am referring to what we commonly call "Funpacks" which look like regular original series unopened packs but they contain misc mixed stickers and puzzle.  Example, what can normally look like 14th yellow packs contain a 12th puzzle and 15th sticker instead.  You can see very easily through the yellow wrapper to determine a funpack versus 14th sticker contents.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2010, 10:02:25 PM »
You are describing the multicolored stripped mystery packs.  I am referring to what we commonly call "Funpacks" which look like regular original series unopened packs but they contain misc mixed stickers and puzzle.  Example, what can normally look like 14th yellow packs contain a 12th puzzle and 15th sticker instead.  You can see very easily through the yellow wrapper to determine a funpack versus 14th sticker contents.

Ah yes. Makes sense. Thanks!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2010, 06:00:05 AM »
Hey dude, yes, those were my first shows too!  Wasn't the show at the Parsippany Hilton?  I think Scott Kravitz was there too!  Sorry I didn't connect your forum names to you.   Glad we have reconnected!
OK great, then you remember too!  The '97 and '98 summer NJ shows were in close proximity to each other, but not exactly the same town - I'm thinking Parisippany in '97 and Whippany in '98, but I'm not absolutely sure.  I don't remember Scott specifically, but if Greg still has those group shots in his site I'll look and see if he's there and whether I recognize him.  I'm pretty sure I also met Greg at that '98 show too, but only briefly.  I don't think there were too many familiar faces at that Friday session, I'm pretty sure Shoe couldn't make it until the next day, but meeting you and maybe one or two other guys I do remember.  The summer '97 NJ and fall '97 Philly shows were monsters in terms of what was available and reasonable prices.  The '98 show seemed somewhat scaled down from the previous two, but still found some decent stuff.  I guess dealers probably hold some stuff back until the full-day sessions too though.  I can only imagine the deals Shoe and others used to find in the previous years' shows when the Wacky community was much smaller.  I think he told me his first shows were as far back as '91 or so. 

anything