Author Topic: Need opinions!  (Read 16715 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Need opinions!
« on: November 29, 2010, 02:13:41 PM »
Hi all, I wanted to know how others felt about this situation I recently experienced.  I recently purchased a Spit & Spill variation card off of eBay for about 30 bucks.  When I got the package home, it was in a bubble mailer and taped on both ends with heavy packaging tape.  I couldn't get an edge of tape to peel off with my fingers, so I cut the very edge of the package with scissors, and as it turned out the card was loose in the package and the corner of the card got clipped off.  He had heavy cardboard inside the envelope, and a plastic toploader inside the cardboard.  The critical part that was missed was the fact that the end of the toploader wasn't taped or secured in any way, plus the toploader he used is one of the slightly wider ones that can fit 3-5 cards, so only one card is very loose inside and will slide right out.  So the card came completely out of the toploader and was sticking out of the cardboard pieces by about an inch or so, and just happened to be right on the edge where I made the cut.

I am in the process of exchanging emails with the seller and will probably send him these pics, but at this point he hasn't offered me anything.  On one hand I think that I shouldn't have cut the edge and I can see that he tried to package the card well, but I think the fact that he left out a critical piece of the packaging by not taping the top of the toploader puts at least partial blame on the seller.

What do others feel about this?

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline bigtomi

Re: Need opinions!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 03:33:38 PM »
Hi all, I wanted to know how others felt about this situation I recently experienced... On one hand I think that I shouldn't have cut the edge and I can see that he tried to package the card well, but I think the fact that he left out a critical piece of the packaging by not taping the top of the toploader puts at least partial blame on the seller.

What do others feel about this?
This is unfortunate and is a toughy to take sides on. I get packages from eBayers (especially from foreign lands) that do a really crappy job of packaging, especially when it comes to the aspect of having to open the package without destroying the contents. It's very frustrating, indeed. I agree that his use of a toploader which did not hold the card securely was a poor choice (which, BTW, I never tape them closed, either), but cutting the end off without feeling for any product in the way was your error. Did you tap the other end of the package on the table or shake it to help settle the contents to the other end before cutting? Sometimes it takes me several minutes to open one of the above mentioned packages, but I feel it ultimately my responsibility to get the package open successfully and with no damage done. If it takes a few extra minutes to achieve this, it is worth it.

Hopefully, the seller will be willing to accept some of the responsibility for what happened and maybe you can get a least a partial refund.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 03:35:07 PM »
that's a bummer that the card wasn't held in place completely.
However, my view is that since it wasn't damaged by the seller or during transit, but by your own actions, you really shouldn't expect anything here.

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 03:43:44 PM »
While I don't think he's obligated to offer you anything, I do think as a matter of courtesy he should offer something - maybe like $10 since he did a very poor job packaging it.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 03:57:10 PM »
This is unfortunate and is a toughy to take sides on. I get packages from eBayers (especially from foreign lands) that do a really crappy job of packaging, especially when it comes to the aspect of having to open the package without destroying the contents. It's very frustrating, indeed. I agree that his use of a toploader which did not hold the card securely was a poor choice (which, BTW, I never tape them closed, either), but cutting the end off without feeling for any product in the way was your error. Did you tap the other end of the package on the table or shake it to help settle the contents to the other end before cutting? Sometimes it takes me several minutes to open one of the above mentioned packages, but I feel it ultimately my responsibility to get the package open successfully and with no damage done. If it takes a few extra minutes to achieve this, it is worth it.

Hopefully, the seller will be willing to accept some of the responsibility for what happened and maybe you can get a least a partial refund.

Thanks for the replies guys. 

I did feel the package and felt the firmness of the cardboard which was favoring one side, so I cut the opposite end that didn't have the cardboard thinking the card had to be inside of it.  Live and learn I guess. 

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 05:07:48 PM »
I concur with everyone else on this one. Dang, sorry that happened!

Lately I've been using blue painter's tape (like masking tape but not as sticky) -- comes off easily but stays stuck. It's awesome.

I fold a piece of paper over the open end of the top loader and use the painter's tape to hold the paper in place. This way no sticky stuff every touches the card. I also do something I wish everyone else did: I fold the end of the tape over onto itself to give people something to grab to take the tape off. This way they don't have to pick at the tape with their fingernails (possibly damaging the contents). The painter's tape also lets people reuse the toploaders without any tape residue (like the EVIL non-Scotch tapes leave -- what I call Botch tape!).

What we need is a: "How to Package Wackys" (or Non-Sports Cards) page with instructions.

I too am always somewhat nervous about opening some packages I receive. Some are superbly packaged (by people who know), some are not. I tend to remind sellers to package it the right way (and explain it) in cases where I think they may not know. Never hurts.

Offline Kook

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 05:31:55 PM »
I think this is a tough one, more because of who will pay, rather than who is responsible. My view is that, but for the poor packaging, there wouldn't have been a problem. If Rob didn't cut the card, and it had got folded or bent during shipment because it slid out of the toploader (which may have been the case anyway), it would have been the seller's fault 100%. Even in that case, a seller not looking to stand behind his packaging would say it was rough handling by the post office. Rob cutting the card complicates the issue because now he can't return it, and the seller has a gray area to avoid responsibility because Rob has now damaged the card. It is unfortunate, but if the seller properly packaged the item, this never would have happened. I think it deserves 0 out of 5 stars for shipping & a negative if the seller doesn't absorb some or all of the cost. At least it wasn't a nm Ratz or Cracked Animals!

Does/could ebay buyer protection apply at all here?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 05:50:07 PM »
If I come across very strong tape I use a razor to slit the end across the top edge which has little chance of damaging a loose card. I concur with other statements made here and hope you could get a small concession from the seller. Possibly a discount on a future purchase.  I hope it works it for you.

Regards,  Andrew

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 07:12:12 PM »
I receive packages that are completely taped up and sometimes it has taken me about 15 min trying to figure out how to open without damage. It's really unbelievable that people think they have to tape these up so tight. I use a post it note on the top loaders so you only have to put tape on one end of the post it so you can pop it open pretty easy. I do wrap one sheet of paper around the top holder so it won't get damaged from moving around in the padded envelope. If I send sets I will put them in a team bag put top loaders on the top and bottom and only use 4 pieces of tape for each side. I also then wrap it up in paper to help hold everything together. Never had an issue.

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
Personally I would fault the seller for his incompetent packing job, and request a refund.  If he doesn't give it to you, I'd file a complaint with ebay.  Granted, it technically survived the shipping (although it easily could have gotten bent or dinged floating around in a bubble mailer).  But as a buyer, you should reasonably expect to be able to cut the end of the package without damaging the product when that's the only way to open the package.  Ebay almost always sides with buyers on complaints, so I bet you'd win the case if the seller won't compensate you in some way (I would hope he'd send you another sticker of equal value if he won't do a refund).

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 07:25:25 PM »
I usually tape the top loader into the inside of the envelope to keep it from sliding around during shipping. I have received some in the mail where the top loader has almost jabbed it's way through the envelope.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

VX HYPERSPACE

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 07:46:32 PM »
 ;) I use these...

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 07:54:59 PM »
I concur with everyone else on this one. Dang, sorry that happened!

Lately I've been using blue painter's tape (like masking tape but not as sticky) -- comes off easily but stays stuck. It's awesome.

I fold a piece of paper over the open end of the top loader and use the painter's tape to hold the paper in place. This way no sticky stuff every touches the card. I also do something I wish everyone else did: I fold the end of the tape over onto itself to give people something to grab to take the tape off. This way they don't have to pick at the tape with their fingernails (possibly damaging the contents). The painter's tape also lets people reuse the toploaders without any tape residue (like the EVIL non-Scotch tapes leave -- what I call Botch tape!).

Using the tape like you do is smart.  I'd say I have about 100 recycled toploaders from past transactions and about 90% of them either have tape stuck on them or residue where it was stuck. Brads idea works well too and is easy to apply and easy to remove.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 10:09:11 PM »
I receive packages that are completely taped up and sometimes it has taken me about 15 min trying to figure out how to open without damage. It's really unbelievable that people think they have to tape these up so tight. I use a post it note on the top loaders so you only have to put tape on one end of the post it so you can pop it open pretty easy. I do wrap one sheet of paper around the top holder so it won't get damaged from moving around in the padded envelope. If I send sets I will put them in a team bag put top loaders on the top and bottom and only use 4 pieces of tape for each side. I also then wrap it up in paper to help hold everything together. Never had an issue.
I always leave a folded tab of tape so they can peel it off. I like that you do the post-it thing. There are very experienced card sellers who have no regard for how the buyer is going to open their ridiculous packing. There are a few old timers right here on the forum who wrap their cards like they're mummifying the fuckin' things. In Rob's case I'd hold the seller at least partially responsible.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 05:57:07 AM »
I just stick the toploaders in a team bag and seal that. They're really very cheap and great for unopened packs as well.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 06:02:16 AM »
I usually tape the top loader into the inside of the envelope to keep it from sliding around during shipping. I have received some in the mail where the top loader has almost jabbed it's way through the envelope.

Wow, I've never seen that, or thought about it.  I generally put small trades where I'm using a regular envelope in a toploader, inside a ziploc snack baggie.  Maybe I should start taping the baggie to the envelope?

I like to use plastic bags when I send Wackys because I live in an area where the mailman has to walk the route, and things I receive can be quite damp in bad weather.  I also always try to bring outgoing trades directly to the PO, so they don't sit outside, and then maybe get carried around in the rain.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 07:14:02 AM »
Wow, I've never seen that, or thought about it.  I generally put small trades where I'm using a regular envelope in a toploader, inside a ziploc snack baggie.  Maybe I should start taping the baggie to the envelope?

I like to use plastic bags when I send Wackys because I live in an area where the mailman has to walk the route, and things I receive can be quite damp in bad weather.  I also always try to bring outgoing trades directly to the PO, so they don't sit outside, and then maybe get carried around in the rain.

When I'm doing a trade for a cheap card in a regular envelope I tape the toploaders down as well so it doesn't move around.  The baggie is a good idea too and I've had wet packages before, never to the extent that it damaged the card but I could see it happening for sure.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 09:15:37 AM »
Aye, I like the idea of the baggie and taping it to the inside of the envelope (or taping to some hard card stock that you then slide in the envelope so it's easy to get out).

... wrap their cards like they're mummifying the f***in' things! ROFL!!  :]

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 06:41:58 PM »
Aye, I like the idea of the baggie and taping it to the inside of the envelope (or taping to some hard card stock that you then slide in the envelope so it's easy to get out).

... wrap their cards like they're mummifying the f***in' things! ROFL!!  :]

Just don't get carried away with the tape!

Offline loki

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 08:57:50 PM »
I would fault the seller because it was obviously not packaged "properly"

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 06:50:56 AM »
I'd ask the seller to consider kicking back some of the cost - compromise might be the best path to take, since there is a little fault on both sides.  If it's any consolation, the clip was very slight and came nowhere near the artwork or even the black.  Although it can't be compared to a Ratz Crackers, I think most would agree that the "Magnificent 7" titles will always be collectable in any condition due to their relative rarity, so if you can get past the eyesore of the corner clip and the card looks otherwise nice, maybe it's still worth keeping.  If you can't get past the visual issue, maybe post it up for sale on ebay and at least get something for it to partially offset your out-of-pocket.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 08:06:12 AM »
I'd ask the seller to consider kicking back some of the cost - compromise might be the best path to take, since there is a little fault on both sides.  If it's any consolation, the clip was very slight and came nowhere near the artwork or even the black.  Although it can't be compared to a Ratz Crackers, I think most would agree that the "Magnificent 7" titles will always be collectable in any condition due to their relative rarity, so if you can get past the eyesore of the corner clip and the card looks otherwise nice, maybe it's still worth keeping.  If you can't get past the visual issue, maybe post it up for sale on ebay and at least get something for it to partially offset your out-of-pocket.

Although the clip is minor I think realistically it drops a $30.00 card to about 5 bucks unfortunately.  At least it wasn't a $200.00 card or worse. 

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 08:41:42 AM »
You could ask the seller for some kind of compensation, but don't be shocked if he offers none.  After all, it was your action with the scissors that cut the card.  You should have been more careful with opening the package.

If it had happened to me, I would have been blaming my own actions and not that of the shipper.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 10:13:24 AM »
You could ask the seller for some kind of compensation, but don't be shocked if he offers none.  After all, it was your action with the scissors that cut the card.  You should have been more careful with opening the package.

If it had happened to me, I would have been blaming my own actions and not that of the shipper.

That's pretty much what I decided.  It wasn't packaged properly but in the end if I had used an exacto to break a seam instead of scissors it probably would have been ok.  I won't make the same mistake twice.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 04:54:20 PM »
Using the tape like you do is smart.  I'd say I have about 100 recycled toploaders from past transactions and about 90% of them either have tape stuck on them or residue where it was stuck. Brads idea works well too and is easy to apply and easy to remove.

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate event. I use blue removable painters tape to tape the end of the toploader when shipping a card. Leaves no residue. I would contact the seller, tell him exactly what happened and see if he or she will take it as a learning experience for the future and at least refund you some of your payment since it wasn't packaged in a way that I would call "secure". The did do a good job other than the most important aspect, securing the card. Everything else was good, even taping the ends because some of those bubble mailers have just that sticky stuff and it could come undone, or be opened and then resealed losing the contents. Reinforced against the cardboard was good too, but once again, the most important part "the card" was really not secured. Hope they can work something out with you and learn from this.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 09:38:53 PM »
... I think most would agree that the "Magnificent 7" titles will always be collectable in any condition due to their relative rarity...

[offtopic]

I gotz t'know what are the "Magnificent 7"? Bum Chex, Choke Wagon, Spit & Spill - Spic & Span, Grime Heavy, and ? Are we talking Paul Maul, Mutt's, and Band-Ache? Just curious...

[/offtopic]

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 09:59:15 PM »
[offtopic]

I gotz t'know what are the "Magnificent 7"? Bum Chex, Choke Wagon, Spit & Spill - Spic & Span, Grime Heavy, and ? Are we talking Paul Maul, Mutt's, and Band-Ache? Just curious...

[/offtopic]
I've always thought the Mag7 to be: bandache, Run Tony, Spit N Spill var, Bum, Choke, Grime Heavy, Pupsi....then Scoot No Copy came along and made it eight.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 10:18:23 PM »
[offtopic]

[/offtopic]
I'd reserve the term "magnificent" for better titles. These are the "Notable 7".

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 04:48:53 AM »
I'd reserve the term "magnificent" for better titles. These are the "Notable 7".
concur. Rarity does not equal hilarity.
if they weren't tougher to find, some of those would not be looked at twice.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 06:44:24 AM »
concur. Rarity does not equal hilarity.
if they weren't tougher to find, some of those would not be looked at twice.
funny post, "Rarity does not equal hilarity"

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 07:08:41 PM »
funny post, "Rarity does not equal hilarity"
                           (Image removed from quote.)

Great applause pic. Can't please everyone. Look at that guy with the white hair and tie. About 1/2 inch down from the top and a 1/4 inch in from the left side. What a dud. Geeeze.   :^)
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 09:53:12 AM »
The "magnificent" label is not meant to suggest they're the best, only the rarest (as pulled titles) and priciest in the Original 1-16 run.  I coined this term before the prices of 16th singles went through the roof though; arguably today there are 16th titles worth more than some of the Mag 7 titles.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 12:40:44 PM »
The "magnificent" label is not meant to suggest they're the best, only the rarest (as pulled titles) and priciest in the Original 1-16 run.  I coined this term before the prices of 16th singles went through the roof though; arguably today there are 16th titles worth more than some of the Mag 7 titles.

The 10 titles I have in screwdowns from S1-16 are............

BandAche
Paul Maul
Mutts
Lavirus
Spit & Spill
Bum Chex
Choke Wagon
Grime Heavy
Pupsi
Scoot N/C

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2010, 03:13:43 PM »
You coined this term?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2010, 05:08:53 PM »
Did you know The Clash sang about Wackys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DsWBXciHcA