Author Topic: Wacky Packages Old School - PRE-SALE THREAD - non-spoiler!  (Read 90784 times)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: Wacky Packages Old School - PRE-SALE THREAD - non-spoiler!
« Reply #315 on: March 30, 2011, 09:19:23 AM »
same for me as well - went out for delivery @ 6:59AM..hopefully today before 6pm...last year the UPS guy walked on my newly sealcoated driveway with his boot...what a moron..I had flags and ropes too...I should charge them for that...but I didn't have a camera...to prove it..

'By end of day' - sounds like the cable guy lingo....

Hmmmm, I'm beginning to see a pattern here. Most of us get UPS delivery after 4:00pm. What do they do
the rest of the gall-blasted day?!?!? Seriously though, do they run their business routes first then hit residential areas? I guess it depends on a lot of things. We live about 15 miles south of Terre Haute out in the boonies so I guess we are just the end of the day deliveries. It occurs to me the only person reporting they received pre-4pm delivery was Bum Chex (audible gasp from the crowd as spotlight turns on him).  DA-DUN-DUN!
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #316 on: March 30, 2011, 09:21:21 AM »
The tan backs are pretty flimsy as noted already. I have opened 2 boxes and have a few with bumped corners and a few with bend or creases in the middle. This might be a tough NM set to get.

Is it wrong of me to think that's actually kind of cool?  
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #317 on: March 30, 2011, 09:28:06 AM »

It will give a whole new perspective on getting a NM set and prices will rise because of it...it might also increase trading and selling of one-off stickers that have these problems...just like OS...I think its cool..of course NOT having received any boxes yet..."TRUE OLD SCHOOL"  :great:issues...don't like the creases in the middle though??? might lend itself to a "Topps return / receive" new policy...hopefully the Sketch cards aren't BENT!!(like the cigarettes  :P :P)

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #318 on: March 30, 2011, 10:10:15 AM »
Hmmmm, I'm beginning to see a pattern here. Most of us get UPS delivery after 4:00pm. What do they do
the rest of the gall-blasted day?!?!? Seriously though, do they run their business routes first then hit residential areas? I guess it depends on a lot of things. We live about 15 miles south of Terre Haute out in the boonies so I guess we are just the end of the day deliveries. It occurs to me the only person reporting they received pre-4pm delivery was Bum Chex (audible gasp from the crowd as spotlight turns on him).  DA-DUN-DUN!
MINE ARRIVED AT 11:00,HOWEVER IN THE PAST IT HAS BEEN 10:00
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #319 on: March 30, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »

Did you have to sign for your package?
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

« Reply #320 on: March 30, 2011, 10:55:47 AM »
Did you have to sign for your package?
NO,HOWEVER MY NEIGHBOR WAS OUTSIDE WHEN UPS GUY ARRIVED,THEY BOTH CAME UPSTAIRS I HAD MY DOOR OPEN AND PAULETTE CALLED OUT MY NAME.
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

« Reply #321 on: March 30, 2011, 11:07:52 AM »
Unreal between opening 24 packs,making a overall number 1 selection,dealing with garbage and getting the package ready to go to Anders and Hayden exactly 2 hours have passed!!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 04:41:22 PM by deadpresidentsvisa »

« Reply #322 on: March 30, 2011, 11:18:35 AM »
WHERE CAN I GET MAILING BOXES THAT ARE SLIGHTLY BIGGER THAN THE 24 PACK OLDS BOXES?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #323 on: March 30, 2011, 11:19:29 AM »
Unreal between opening 24 packs,making a overall number 1 selection,dealing with garbage and getting the package ready to go to Anders and Hayden exactly 2 hours have passed!!!
BTW I am not convinced Hayden is an actual living person

He may be some kind of biological computer intelligence that has transcended consciousness, who has a strange attraction to funny pictures.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #324 on: March 30, 2011, 11:24:44 AM »
WHERE CAN I GET MAILING BOXES THAT ARE SLIGHTLY BIGGER THAN THE 24 PACK OLDS BOXES?

If you didn't already know, you can get boxes at www.usps.com for FREE and they even deliver them to you. Just make sure you don't order a bunch of boxes with the intention of using them for anything other than shipping purposes.

« Reply #325 on: March 30, 2011, 12:23:45 PM »
If you didn't already know, you can get boxes at www.usps.com for FREE and they even deliver them to you. Just make sure you don't order a bunch of boxes with the intention of using them for anything other than shipping purposes.
OKAY...........THANK YOU

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #326 on: March 30, 2011, 12:39:01 PM »
Just make sure you don't order a bunch of boxes with the intention of using them for anything other than shipping purposes.

I must ask why??

« Reply #327 on: March 30, 2011, 12:59:48 PM »
I WON'T TELL IF YOU DON'T

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #328 on: March 30, 2011, 04:10:39 PM »
I must ask why??

I used to order Priority Mail boxes and then assemble them inside-out so I could mail them with regular first-class postage.  Now the post office prints "priority mail" on the inside of the boxes so you can no longer do that.

They do make great boxes for wrapping Christmas presents in!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #329 on: March 30, 2011, 06:28:50 PM »
I used to order Priority Mail boxes and then assemble them inside-out so I could mail them with regular first-class postage.  Now the post office prints "priority mail" on the inside of the boxes so you can no longer do that.

They do make great boxes for wrapping Christmas presents in!

thanks - b/c i might have tried that...

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #330 on: March 30, 2011, 07:45:10 PM »
Daylight Savings Time strikes again.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #331 on: March 30, 2011, 08:23:12 PM »

Got my single (allowed) preorder box today. Ya know, the one box limit allowed from missing the Pre-Sale. Still I appreciate Dave's time to allow that to happen. Already ordered more on the Topps site with the Binder. I wonder, will the Binder from the Topps site come with the Wrapper too or was that just an Exclusive Pre-Order deal? The binder picture is funny on the Topps site, it looks like the binder is priced at $2. by looking at the top right corner. Guess that just means Series 2.
 The cards seem to be a little lighter weighted than the previous Olds1. The set is great, nice job Dave! Great mix and balance as stated already. No problems assembling a NM/Mint set, but I did notice that some of the cards seemed to be pre-dented in various locations. Can't figure out how that happened...? What is strange is that I did not get a full puzzle! 24 Cards and no BM. Will have to do some trading with the other doubles.
 Awesome Sketch by Brent Engstrom, nice Artist Concept Cards, very cool & fun Olds2 poster inside and the Postcard sized Cards Rock!!
Worth the wait, very nice Old School Two set.
 I know it's the non-spoiler thread, I couldn't spoil anyway knowing that others haven't received their boxes yet... I can tell you this, more threads will need to be born for this series...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:57:35 PM by Playbug »
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #332 on: March 30, 2011, 08:26:01 PM »
Playbug, this weekend I will setup a vote thread for OLDS2. We can also do a thread on the actual products.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #333 on: March 30, 2011, 08:28:09 PM »
Playbug, this weekend I will setup a vote thread for OLDS2. We can also do a thread on the actual products.

Awesome !!!  :great: :great: :great:

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #334 on: March 30, 2011, 08:31:40 PM »
but I did notice that some of the cards seemed to be pre-dented in various locations. Can't figure out how that happened...?

The dents in certain spots on the stickers (tending to be in the same spot on many of the same title) is caused  by mishandling of the paper when it is in the form of full sheets. Take an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper and hold it straight out by one corner and jiggle it a little bit and watch the crinks appear as the paper tries to collapse. This is basically what is happening to the stickers when they are still full sheets. I've never seen a wacky series as bad with these marks as this series is. Thin paper and improper handling equals much damage.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #335 on: March 30, 2011, 09:12:15 PM »
The dents in certain spots on the stickers (tending to be in the same spot on many of the same title) is caused  by mishandling of the paper when it is in the form of full sheets. Take an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper and hold it straight out by one corner and jiggle it a little bit and watch the crinks appear as the paper tries to collapse. This is basically what is happening to the stickers when they are still full sheets. I've never seen a wacky series as bad with these marks as this series is. Thin paper and improper handling equals much damage.
1. It makes it more nostalgic.
2. Makes it harder to put together a full NM set.
3. At least no oxidized borders.
4. Did I mention it makes it harder to put together a NM set? I have opened 4 boxes and have only put together 5 sets so far. I have a bunch that aren't worthy.
5. They are cool!
6. Now I wonder how many of the OS tan backs we get were actually bent out of the packs?
7. Migrant workers are cheap labor.
8. Dave still did a fantastic job on the art!
9. Great concepts all around. Better than OLDS1!
10. Who the hell put Chip in charge of printing!

I actually should have done those in reverse. It's kinda my Letterman top 10. I'm sure others can do much better.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #336 on: April 02, 2011, 06:18:02 PM »

I think it's time for a vote thread! We could discuss our favorites there. That would be a good thread to also put the actual products onto as well and possibly the entire series checklist of Olds 2 stuff ?

Offline Mashbox

• Drive Yourself Buggy
« Reply #337 on: April 04, 2011, 03:49:39 PM »
Keeping non-spoilers here...

When I was going through my stickers, I didn't notice any that were damaged or had really soft corners. The stock is a little flimsy, so you do have to be careful.

As with OLDS1, I got two complete sticker sets. Unlike OLDS1, I got two complete puzzles this time... as I recall, I was a couple piece short of two puzzles in the OLDS1 box I bought.

The extras included are great.

Offline bigfoot67

« Reply #338 on: April 06, 2011, 01:26:10 AM »
Loren, I agree.  Seeing how many forum folks here ordered (I read the thread after placing my order), I am not surprised things went quickly.  Remember too there are many folks on Dave's email list.  Any number of folks ordering upwards of 100 to 200 boxes apiece would very easily suck up the supply of pre-order boxes.

I found recently that it isn't only WP Forum Members getting in on the presales. I found all of Dave's Pre-Order emails copied and pasted in a nonsport chat forum informing the masses- links, codes, etc.....apparently adding to the pre-order supply suck up.
 :sign0065:
FOLLOW ME, I'LL BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #339 on: April 06, 2011, 05:09:18 AM »
I found recently that it isn't only WP Forum Members getting in on the presales. I found all of Dave's Pre-Order emails copied and pasted in a nonsport chat forum informing the masses- links, codes, etc.....apparently adding to the pre-order supply suck up.

Interesting. I can't really control what one of the 250+ people do with the info once I email it to them other than ask they don't post it somewhere else but I doubt a non-sport forum added too many other people to the mix. Topps also sent out a mailing notice to other customers which is what
I think added put it over the top so fast.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #340 on: April 06, 2011, 02:56:08 PM »
Interesting. I can't really control what one of the 250+ people do with the info once I email it to them other than ask they don't post it somewhere else but I doubt a non-sport forum added too many other people to the mix. Topps also sent out a mailing notice to other customers which is what
I think added put it over the top so fast.

Aside from the message and link from you for the midnight madness, I also got an email from Topps, but that one came after 3am - not sure how many boxes were left at that point.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #341 on: April 06, 2011, 03:20:53 PM »

Tell us under what name the person posted other boards.

Offline bigfoot67

« Reply #342 on: April 06, 2011, 11:25:09 PM »
Tell us under what name the person posted other boards.
I don't feel it's necessary to out an individual. I just wanted to make mention that the presales are not exclusive to us only. The info wasn't hard to find....I wasn't even looking for it.
Thanks again Dave for giving those of us who missed the original presale a second chance!
FOLLOW ME, I'LL BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #343 on: April 07, 2011, 02:22:56 AM »
I don't feel it's necessary to out an individual. I just wanted to make mention that the presales are not exclusive to us only. The info wasn't hard to find....

MAKE IT HARD TO FIND!

maybe its not necessary to out an individual. But i am a COLLECTOR who has to pay TOP dollar to People who are only out for PROFIT!!!  I have been collecting for 37 years. I am new here. I didnt get ANY postcard sets at cost. BUT DEALERS DID! only to charge up to 10X COST. 

If anybody could curb this in any manor, THEY SHOULD!

You want to know what i think? (maybe not) but here goes... i think Topps should sell ALL of this on E-Bay, or other auction sites. why? SO THEY, and THEY alone should PROFIT from First, Secondary OR any Market. NOT LEECHES...(in turn pay more for ARTISTS!)

I do not dislike anyone who likes WACKYS. We are a small group. We should huddle when it comes to COLLECTING. 
ANS is for new collectors...ect.    OS is for Soul collectors!! as is anything limited from topps.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #344 on: April 07, 2011, 02:42:06 AM »
I stumbled onto the Pre-sales. They were not advertised on ShopTopps. So Where does ANYONE get this information FIRST-HAND???

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #345 on: April 07, 2011, 05:54:54 AM »
I don't feel it's necessary to out an individual. I just wanted to make mention that the presales are not exclusive to us only. The info wasn't hard to find....I wasn't even looking for it.
Thanks again Dave for giving those of us who missed the original presale a second chance!

Shaming people is a great motivator.

The more someone is protected, the more they will continue doing what they are doing. Sometimes people need to be shamed into doing the right thing.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #346 on: April 07, 2011, 01:26:37 PM »
I stumbled onto the Pre-sales. They were not advertised on ShopTopps. So Where does ANYONE get this information FIRST-HAND???

You can PM your e-mail address to Slam Jim(Dave Gross) on this very forum. He sends out early notification concerning pre-sales and the like. Neil Camera(the artist primarily responsible for the postcard series) also uses this e-mail list to make notification of upcoming releases.