Author Topic: Wacky Packages Old School - PRE-SALE THREAD - non-spoiler!  (Read 90880 times)

Offline ratchet007

Re: Wacky Packages Old School - PRE-SALE THREAD - non-spoiler!
« Reply #245 on: December 05, 2010, 04:11:09 PM »
Good point. I don't want any men handling my package.

Plan, all I can say is thanks for the laugh.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #246 on: December 05, 2010, 04:20:06 PM »
I admit at first I had a small panic that, when the pre-orders were closed, that there weren't going to be enough
boxes afterwards available, but soon learned that wasn't the case and I'm (still) happily awaiting the release.

There's no way to please everyone, Dave.  You've went far above and beyond trying to accomodate us
regulars here on the forum, and it's greatly appreciated.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #247 on: December 05, 2010, 05:18:08 PM »
Plan, all I can say is thanks for the laugh.
!Yo tambien! Gracias por la risa, Plan de Nueve

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #248 on: December 05, 2010, 06:08:16 PM »
Just read the Non-Sport Update issue with the Old School article. I wonder if the writer ever even looked at OLDS1? He actually asked for a Koogle Wacky to be made. Um, yeah, already done. Also, I didn't do every gag for the series. Jay, Mark and Fred worked on some stuff. And there were no roughs rejected over copyright infringement. Any rejects or gag changes happened due more to Topps being a bit too safe on some subjects. Sue Mee was chosen as the series 2 promo because we all liked it. Nothing more. Ah well. Some mistakes but an overall decent article. Pics look a bit saturated. Would like to see them toned down for the actual stickers. I will definitely be checking up on that process.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #249 on: December 06, 2010, 05:56:42 AM »
Just read the Non-Sport Update issue with the Old School article. I wonder if the writer ever even looked at OLDS1? He actually asked for a Koogle Wacky to be made. Um, yeah, already done. Also, I didn't do every gag for the series. Jay, Mark and Fred worked on some stuff. And there were no roughs rejected over copyright infringement. Any rejects or gag changes happened due more to Topps being a bit too safe on some subjects. Sue Mee was chosen as the series 2 promo because we all liked it. Nothing more. Ah well. Some mistakes but an overall decent article. Pics look a bit saturated. Would like to see them toned down for the actual stickers. I will definitely be checking up on that process.

It sounds like who ever at Topps was in charge of approving the article should have had you glance it over first for inaccuracies before it was published.   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #250 on: December 06, 2010, 07:49:30 AM »
It sounds like who ever at Topps was in charge of approving the article should have had you glance it over first for inaccuracies before it was published.   
Do they even allow Topps to read the articles before publishing?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #251 on: December 06, 2010, 08:53:15 AM »
Do they even allow Topps to read the articles before publishing?

No, Mike did not see the article either.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #252 on: December 06, 2010, 12:10:33 PM »
I'm sure the Sue Mee reference was just his attempt at making a joke. That's how I saw it anyway.
For some reason it's hard for magazine writers to get their facts straight. I've dealt with it numerous times. Even word for word interviews get re-interpreted.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #253 on: December 06, 2010, 05:11:40 PM »
I'm sure the Sue Mee reference was just his attempt at making a joke. That's how I saw it anyway.
For some reason it's hard for magazine writers to get their facts straight. I've dealt with it numerous times. Even word for word interviews get re-interpreted.

I've had the same experience with newspaper interviews. No matter how professional, supportive and nice a reporter is, there are always errors. And rarely do you ever get a chance to preview an article.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #254 on: December 06, 2010, 05:46:21 PM »

This is so true.  It sucks and is all too common, but we shouldn't forget that there are still professional journalists out there - even if they appear to be a dying (and mostly unwanted) breed.   I've experienced both kinds in my time.

Re-interpretations, or mis-quotes are annoying, wherever they occur - and it's never fun when folks don't get their facts straight, when we're the subject of a piece. 

I recently saw this wonderful quote -- "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts,"  --Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #255 on: December 16, 2010, 11:14:13 AM »
While I don't totally disagree with you, Plan, there is one huge difference between your experience as a child and those that Ducko was referring to who skirt the limit.  As a kid, you wanted them because you liked them and wanted to keep them.  The people who "cheat" the system with postcards are flipping them immediately.  If someone beats the postcard system to buy 20 sets for themselves that they are going to keep for their collection, well, so it goes.  If I get shut out, I'm not thrilled with them, but that's the way it goes.  If I get shut out and someone is immediately flipping dozens of sets, well, I'm pretty pissed. 
While I don't totally disagree with you, Plan, there is one huge difference between your experience as a child and those that Ducko was referring to who skirt the limit.  As a kid, you wanted them because you liked them and wanted to keep them.  The people who "cheat" the system with postcards are flipping them immediately.  If someone beats the postcard system to buy 20 sets for themselves that they are going to keep for their collection, well, so it goes.  If I get shut out, I'm not thrilled with them, but that's the way it goes.  If I get shut out and someone is immediately flipping dozens of sets, well, I'm pretty pissed. 
Well said.  I don't think anyone complaining (about the direction the hobby is taking) is concerned about having to spend $5 more a box plus shipping when the OLDS2 series becomes generally available.  No doubt Dave has gone out of his way to help everyone here on a presale of something that will still be available anyway.  I think they are fed up (me included) with people buying exhorbitant amounts of a limited product with the sole intention of flipping stuff on ebay. 

They have also (imho) become frustrated (me included) with the seemingly ever-increasing cards (nevermind the other stuff) that are near impossible to get unless you have money to burn or time and money to burn flying all over the country to attend shows. 

For example, I would love to have just one gold-bordered Wackomercial from ANS7.  I like to have the base set plus one copy of each variant (pink, silver, etc) in my keeper collection.  1:701 chance of a gold wackomercial?!  Forget it!  The only reason I am able to have one gold FB1 and one gold FB2 sticker in my keeper collection is the kindness and generosity of a forum member here.

And all the cards that are available only at shows; again, you have to know someone who is attending and is willing to give (or at least gain only a minimal profit) something they got for free rather than flipping it on ebay for incredible profits to the people who have money to burn.

When we were kids there was a very reasonable chance of collecting everything available at a very reasonable price.  Rarities were created outside of Topps' control (C&D).  Now, between 2 bucks a pack, manufactured rarities, hoarders and ebay flippers, I don't blame anyone who has become so frustrated to the point of leaving the hobby.

I love Ducko's suggestion of a subscription list that allows avid collectors (not profiteers) to be guaranteed at least one of everything that is released.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #256 on: March 22, 2011, 04:16:43 PM »
Bumped this up because this is the non-spoiler OLDS2 thread.

I will have concrete news on the shipping tomorrow. I was pretty pissed that I had not heard anything the past 5 days. This packing company is a bunch of a-holes. I think it was just shipped TODAY but I still don't have a final answer on that. Looks like some serious spite issues on their part.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #257 on: March 22, 2011, 05:33:27 PM »

I will have concrete news on the shipping tomorrow. I was pretty pissed that I had not heard anything the past 5 days. This packing company is a bunch of a-holes. I think it was just shipped TODAY but I still don't have a final answer on that. Looks like some serious spite issues on their part.

Thanks for the updates (both now and tomorrow's), Dave.  I'm curious; is this the same packing company used for OLDS 1?  Did you have any issues with them then?

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #258 on: March 22, 2011, 07:36:35 PM »
Thanks for the updates (both now and tomorrow's), Dave.  I'm curious; is this the same packing company used for OLDS 1?  Did you have any issues with them then?

Dave wrote about this on the other "spoiler" thread. Hold on, I'll copy and paste it here for ya...

Here ya go:

The packer is peeved because they had to house the pallets for months because the sketch cards were not done and had to reschedule the packing date a few times when the sketches were still not finished. However, they fined Topps for that so to then hold it up AFTER they got the sketches a few weeks ago seems like spite to me. They should have been sent out on the truck two Friday's ago.

Topps is going to pack them out themselves next series as they have condensed all their operations including these smaller projects. At that point they can only fight with themselves.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline dth1971

« Reply #259 on: March 22, 2011, 07:38:04 PM »
Keep your fingers crossed...

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #260 on: March 22, 2011, 08:24:17 PM »
Keep your fingers crossed...

Fingers, toes, legs, eyes, ears....  8)

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #261 on: March 22, 2011, 11:21:02 PM »

If it's a recognized Packing company, I'd make a Wacky for a future gag on OS3 :] :great:

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #262 on: March 23, 2011, 05:01:05 PM »
If it's a recognized Packing company, I'd make a Wacky for a future gag on OS3 :] :great:

That would make an interesting Bonus Card ! :P

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #263 on: March 28, 2011, 01:47:26 PM »
I just received shipping notification from Topps, My Old school 2 boxes have been mailed :)

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #264 on: March 28, 2011, 03:04:12 PM »
I just received shipping notification from Topps, My Old school 2 boxes have been mailed :)
Ditto for mine. Ho...friggin...rah.  :great:

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #265 on: March 28, 2011, 03:05:30 PM »
ORDER RIGHT NOW OR MISS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!              GO
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline dth1971

« Reply #266 on: March 29, 2011, 05:50:52 AM »
Will there be OS3 pre-orders later this year?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #267 on: March 29, 2011, 06:07:55 AM »

Can't we enjoy series 2 first? 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #268 on: March 29, 2011, 06:24:07 AM »
Can't we enjoy series 2 first? 

Here here!  What's the rush with today's society for "the next thing" the moment the current thing ships?  I don't get it.  Enjoy the here and now.  Life is too short to spend it constantly in waiting mode.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #269 on: March 29, 2011, 06:26:29 AM »
Here here!  What's the rush with today's society for "the next thing" the moment the current thing ships?  I don't get it.  Enjoy the here and now.  Life is too short to spend it constantly in waiting mode.
I blame Dave. from today's mass email:

"Hope everyone enjoys the series! I'm gearing up to start OLDS3 in May after I complete my ANS8 work."

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #270 on: March 29, 2011, 10:00:25 AM »
This is not a spoiler but I wanted to let people know if they aren't looking in the spoiler section:
I'm a bit peeved with the binder. It's just that - a binder. No pages and no wrapper.

Online Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #271 on: March 29, 2011, 10:22:53 AM »
This is not a spoiler but I wanted to let people know if they aren't looking in the spoiler section:
I'm a bit peeved with the binder. It's just that - a binder. No pages and no wrapper.

Brad,

Did you get the ' 2 Concept cards' in your boxes?? Are you happy about OLDS2? or disappointed??

just don't spoil it...

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #272 on: March 29, 2011, 10:57:33 AM »
Brad,

Did you get the ' 2 Concept cards' in your boxes?? Are you happy about OLDS2? or disappointed??

just don't spoil it...
I won't spoil anything. I did get the concept cards and if you want to see them I put them up on ebay.

This set is absolutely amazing. It's light years ahead of OLDS1, in my opinion. I think I love each one. The art is just amazing. I think the wait was now worth it. This series might even rival any one of the OS. It's that good. Perfect balance. Dave really out did himself on this one. Also the tan backs are fantastic. You will see a lot of bumped corner cards in the wild.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #273 on: March 29, 2011, 10:59:36 AM »
Brad,

just don't spoil it...

I don't even remember a mention of concept cards in the pre-release info.  I hope I haven't been spoiled. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Online Hustler08

« Reply #274 on: March 29, 2011, 11:03:17 AM »
I don't even remember a mention of concept cards in the pre-release info.  I hope I haven't been spoiled. 

Jason,

I am surprised :o :o as attention to detail and writing as you are...can't believe you missed that...and 'yes' I do read your posts with the same attention...I guess I am too detailed...It was most certainly mentioned in the pre-sale email sent by Dave...just like the 'wrapper' was for the binder that WE WON'T BE GETTING !!!  >:D >:D >:D

Online Hustler08

« Reply #275 on: March 29, 2011, 11:10:15 AM »
I won't spoil anything. I did get the concept cards and if you want to see them I put them up on ebay.

This set is absolutely amazing. It's light years ahead of OLDS1, in my opinion. I think I love each one. The art is just amazing. I think the wait was now worth it. This series might even rival any one of the OS. It's that good. Perfect balance. Dave really out did himself on this one. Also the tan backs are fantastic. You will see a lot of bumped corner cards in the wild.

DUDE,

THX  that's Awesome!! Can't wait...someday I will get my order...maybe... it will be worth MY wait and I will get a COLORED Sketch... :] :]..ahhhh the TAN BACKS...

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #276 on: March 29, 2011, 11:14:56 AM »
Fair question. The OS were coming out practically every two months back in the 70's. I can look at 33 new stickers and be satisfied all in the same week and want more the next. So keep 'em coming! Bring on Old School 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.....

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #277 on: March 29, 2011, 11:18:21 AM »
...just like the 'wrapper' was for the binder that WE WON'T BE GETTING !!!  >:D >:D >:D

I do hope they provide the wax wrappers with the binders - that was what made them so cool, in my opinion, and was my main motivation for wanting to get the series 2 binder.  Of course, I am getting one for free, with my five box order.   Let's hope they work something out, and still give a wrapper with each binder. 

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #278 on: March 29, 2011, 12:17:53 PM »
I do hope they provide the wax wrappers with the binders - that was what made them so cool, in my opinion, and was my main motivation for wanting to get the series 2 binder.  Of course, I am getting one for free, with my five box order.   Let's hope they work something out, and still give a wrapper with each binder. 

I don't understand. The description on Topps site says it includes pages and a wrapper:
http://www.toppsonlinestore.com/servlet/the-708/Wacky-Packages-Official-Collectors/Detail

[spoiler=Spoiler?]Wacky Packages Official Collectors Binder Old School 2
SKU: WPOS-CK2
$16.95
Includes:

• Official Deluxe-Edition Collectors Binder
• Exclusive Wacky Packages Old School Commemorative Wax Pack Wrapper
• Bonus Ultra-Pro 10 9-Pocket Card Pages[/spoiler]

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #279 on: March 29, 2011, 12:23:19 PM »
I hate hearing that the binders do not have the wax wrapper. Had I known that I would not have pre-ordered 5 boxes. I would have gone for 3 and bought a binder separately. I feel kinda cheated by Topps on this.

So I assume that if I want a wrapper, I now have to go and buy a whole new binder from Topps (leaving me with a binder that I don't need). That sucks! Now I feel extra cheated.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who