Author Topic: Wacky Packages Old School - PRE-SALE THREAD - non-spoiler!  (Read 90474 times)

wackyone

Re: Wacky Packages Old School - PRE-SALE THREAD - non-spoiler!
« Reply #175 on: November 30, 2010, 06:38:58 PM »
O.K. I'll p.m. you my addy, send it to me.  :great:

LOL,,I waste so much money on this stuff anyway i may as well just give it away
it don't really matter,,,we'll see what happens,,,i'll buy them at some point
i just get a riot outa how all this goes down every time

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2010, 06:42:48 PM »
Because i had a deal with Brad to buy a few boxes with him i never got on your list {Dave} so now i'm outa the pre-sale all togther is my issue.
It's not that big a deal really with them on sale at the end of the month {if so} but with no limits of ANY kind at that time your gonna see huge numbers flyin' out the door,,i know Topps don't care but that's the whole problem.

Wait, so you made a deal with Brad to get boxes? You should check with Brad to see if that is still valid with him. If you are shut out of the pre-sale maybe some other people here will get you some boxes at the discount price, or the binder.

I posted about the pre-sale 4 days before it started. I also sent out an email warning 4 days before and Topps sent out their million person (or whatever) mailing list about it and posted it on Twitter and Facebook. The only place I can see you not knowing about it at all would have been if you were hanging out only at Greg's and I didn't post it there because...well...I can't. Banned ya know.

As for huge numbers flying off the shelves...well...I hope so! That's the point. But you think that only a few people are going to grab all 4000 boxes in a matter of hours?? Days maybe? If they didn't try to swipe in on this deal to corner everything at a discounted price with free shipping, a binder offer and no limit why would they do it later at all normal price and having to buy up 4000! I just don't see anyone doing anything remotely close to that.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2010, 06:44:55 PM »
Because i had a deal with Brad to buy a few boxes with him i never got on your list {Dave} so now i'm outa the pre-sale all togther is my issue.
It's not that big a deal really with them on sale at the end of the month {if so} but with no limits of ANY kind at that time your gonna see huge numbers flyin' out the door,,i know Topps don't care but that's the whole problem.

So why is huge numbers flying out the door a problem?  What exactly are you looking to collect here?  Sets will be dirt cheap so you won't have to spend more than $10 to get a set.  I am sure plenty of sketches will be available at good prices too.  What exactly is it you desire?  I don't get it. 

I would really like to hear from each person who is so terribly upset, exactly what their goal was?   Was it to flip some boxes and make a couple of bucks due to getting boxes at a small savings?  I got ZERO boxes too and I am not crying a river.  If I want some boxes, I will buy during the regular sale for a few bucks more. 

If there was no presale at all, then what?  Topps has no obligaton to do presales.  We would be exactly where we are now.  Why aren't people crying rivers about no presale on ANS wackys?  We are collectively becoming stupid enough by whining about these presales that Topps might as well stop doing them.  They stopped shipping sketch posters due to whining about dinged edges.....really, mint posters?  Who the hell cares?  If the poster is framed, the edges don't show anyway.  If it is displayed without framing, I guaratee it doesn't stay minty mint for long. 

Let's all keep complaining and watch the various special deals disappear....
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

wackyone

« Reply #178 on: November 30, 2010, 06:50:08 PM »
Brad was doin' the right thing at the time and helping out a few people and with him because of my location i would have saved money.

wackyone

« Reply #179 on: November 30, 2010, 06:51:54 PM »
Brad was doin' the right thing at the time and helping out a few people and with him because of my location i would have saved money.

this is not news,,,he posted it to help us out,,was no secret

Taz

« Reply #180 on: November 30, 2010, 06:54:54 PM »
I'd like to ask for I think I missed the details on this:
Was there a specific box count that needed to be purchased in order to get a flyer?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #181 on: November 30, 2010, 06:58:12 PM »

Here's the thing. People asked for a pre-sale the first time. Topps never does pre-sales but we talked them into it. They gave up a ton of money with that sale with the steep discount, free shipping, posters and all the problems. I thought there was a good chance that with all that and the success of the series they wouldn't even have another pre-sale. Yet they did and everyone here, on my list and a number of others are still going to get a discount, free shipping and some freebies at Topps loss. To ask them to throw another 500, 1000 out there because it was too much of a success is a bit delusional. Not too mention the all important part I spoke of earlier where they are getting accusations of playing favorites with customers. They just can't do that. Remember that mailing list is mine NOT Topps. I was just tipping people off early and it was 4 days early. I find it hard to believe that (a small few) people are getting this mad. If you are surprised they were all gone by 6am well we all were surprised with you. There are no guarantees. Look at it this way. If you showed up at Best Buy at 5am on Black Friday (knowing in advance of the crazed sale) and a few hundred people were already sitting outside the store and when you finally got in they were out of that Wii you wanted well Best Buy is not making you a special deal to get that Wii a few weeks later. It is what it is but at least I am able to get a big amount of people at least the one with the free shipping and some additional freebies. The end result is the only people that will lose out on anything significant is people who are really chasing tons of sketches to collect. And for them it's a $5 a box "hike" to the normal box rate. The sketch cards are worth far greater than that anyway so I see it not being a huge problem for them.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 09:15:26 PM by slamjim »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #182 on: November 30, 2010, 07:01:08 PM »
I'd like to ask for I think I missed the details on this:
Was there a specific box count that needed to be purchased in order to get a flyer?

Not the flyer but a binder (5 boxes). I have the promos for people and am waiting on flyers but cannot handle that until a few weeks from now as I still have work to finish on the series and the pre-sale and aftermath has been killing a ton of time. Will let everyone know about it as soon as I get everything else finished up.

Taz

« Reply #183 on: November 30, 2010, 07:06:39 PM »
Not the flyer but a binder (5 boxes). I have the promos for people and am waiting on flyers but cannot handle that until a few weeks from now as I still have work to finish on the series and the pre-sale and aftermath has been killing a ton of time. Will let everyone know about it as soon as I get everything else finished up.

Thanks for update!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #184 on: November 30, 2010, 07:09:52 PM »
We are collectively becoming stupid enough by whining about these presales that Topps might as well stop doing them.  They stopped shipping sketch posters due to whining about dinged edges.....really, mint posters?  Who the hell cares?  If the poster is framed, the edges don't show anyway.  If it is displayed without framing, I guaratee it doesn't stay minty mint for long.  

I can't begrudge anyone for leaving a hobby - whatever the reasons.  It's an option, and if you don't enjoy it, you'd be crazy to continue to take part.   That said, I would hope those that missed out on the pre-sale take a moment to remember what others have pointed out - you have merely missed out on the pre-sale, not the series.  

Like Ernie, I fear that the only result from the complaints will be that Topps forgoes a pre-sale at all.  I would hope that we can all agree, that would be a big negative.  

I do hope that, with future Old School and Post Card sets, adjustments are made so that the fewest amount of people get left out - because when passionate collectors miss out - that's not good.  

So, while I recognize and respect that some folks may just not be that interested in contemporary Wacky Packages, I have to say that I'm more excited than ever.   Even though I've missed out on some of the post card stuff (I never did get a Reese's Peepers, either) - I think they're awesome.  With regards to Old School, for me I couldn't have imagined a more enjoyable and exciting contemporary series of Wacky Packages.  

I'm so jazzed to see what products were parodied and all of the other goodies that are coming with the boxes!!
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #185 on: November 30, 2010, 07:11:56 PM »
So why is huge numbers flying out the door a problem?  What exactly are you looking to collect here?  Sets will be dirt cheap so you won't have to spend more than $10 to get a set.  I am sure plenty of sketches will be available at good prices too.  What exactly is it you desire?  I don't get it. 

I would really like to hear from each person who is so terribly upset, exactly what their goal was?   Was it to flip some boxes and make a couple of bucks due to getting boxes at a small savings?  I got ZERO boxes too and I am not crying a river.  If I want some boxes, I will buy during the regular sale for a few bucks more. 

If there was no presale at all, then what?  Topps has no obligaton to do presales.  We would be exactly where we are now.  Why aren't people crying rivers about no presale on ANS wackys?  We are collectively becoming stupid enough by whining about these presales that Topps might as well stop doing them.  They stopped shipping sketch posters due to whining about dinged edges.....really, mint posters?  Who the hell cares?  If the poster is framed, the edges don't show anyway.  If it is displayed without framing, I guaratee it doesn't stay minty mint for long. 

Ernie, your right. Generally I observe, people would (sadly) like to see no one get anything special offered at all if THEY can get in on it. O.K., no one expected the sell out to happen that fast. But so what. Others got in on time and some didn't. I didn't, but I'm not whining. As a matter of fact, I hope the one's who did get in on the limited Olds2 offer get some great pulls on their purchases and enjoy them to the max. I mean that sincerely. Could there be jealosy, envy or selfishness in this complaint train somehow? I too would not like to see good offers ruined because of a bunch of whiny complaints. That's life, sometimes you don't miss the boat but when you do - SO WHAT, swim damn it - don't sink and bitch.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #186 on: November 30, 2010, 07:15:13 PM »
Ernie, your right. Generally I observe, people would (sadly) like to see no one get anything special offered at all if THEY can get in on it. O.K., no one expected the sell out to happen that fast. But so what. Others got in on time and some didn't. I didn't, but I'm not whining. As a matter of fact, I hope the one's who did get in on the limited Olds2 offer get some great pulls on their purchases and enjoy them to the max. I mean that sincerely. Could there be jealosy, envy or selfishness in this complaint train somehow? I too would not like to see good offers ruined because of a bunch of whiny complaints. That's life, sometimes you don't miss the boat but when you do - SO WHAT, swim damn it - don't sink and bitch.

I sure hope you are right about the preorder pulls. If Topps doesn't shuffle those boxes around enough and all the preorders end up with the basics there will be a lot of pissed off people.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #187 on: November 30, 2010, 07:22:10 PM »
I sure hope you are right about the preorder pulls. If Topps doesn't shuffle those boxes around enough and all the preorders end up with the basics there will be a lot of pissed off people.

I could see disappointed - but pissed off?  I hope that's really not the case.   I fear that, in general, setting expectations too high is one of the problems we're dealing with here.  

If I read it correctly, a previous post seemed to indicate that a person was frustrated (and stopping collecting the new stuff) because they hadn't pulled "great" inserts.  I can't entirely dismiss the sentiment, as the hope for these color sketches or what-have-you is a big deal to a lot of us, and a big draw - but when that becomes the overriding factor you are hoping for - a collector really sets themselves up for disappointment.  
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #188 on: November 30, 2010, 07:22:54 PM »
I'm really confused by this. Dave is helping out 86 people with one box each for a savings of $5. Topps is taking a big loss by this because of how much it will cost just to send one box. So you guys are in an uproar over $5? I don't get it. You didn't even talk about ordering 5 boxes to get the free binder. That is a bigger deal. You would save $25, get a free binder, and get free shipping. You all can still buy your one box when they go on sale at the end of the month. There is no shortage!

I was thinking the same thing but I was reading all of the posts before responding to try to figure out what I was missing.  The ones that have issues over this are basing their frustration on $5.00 a box?  Seriously?  I can see being frustrated over the Postcard series because it sold out so fast and those that missed out have to scramble somehow to get a set, but in this case these will be readily available for plenty of time for everyone that wants them, in multiple quantities.  The only thing some missed out on were the special rate, but it was a SPECIAL.  Maybe Dave shouldn't do the special pre-orders anymore and just have Topps sell them at the same rate to everyone. 

What am I missing here guys?

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #189 on: November 30, 2010, 07:29:42 PM »

Just wishing folks the best Brad, nothing else. Who know's what will be? I DO know that I can't be mad at others because they ordered before me, or I cant be mad at Topps for having a pre-sale, Dave for trying to help us or at any of the new series. I like a lot of the new parodies and am thankful they have come our way and am looking forward to the new OLDS 2. I do not have any expectations when I open a box and do not feel unrealistically like I am due anything personally. Just hope for the best.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #190 on: November 30, 2010, 07:37:37 PM »
i don't give a fuck about $10

So if your issue isn't money what is it then?  Are you really in fear of having 4,000 boxes sell out so fast that you won't be able to get any? 

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #191 on: November 30, 2010, 07:38:55 PM »

My guess is that some of this frustration is coming from the fact that a number of collectors also recently missed out on the Halloween post cards so, even though this is just a pre-sale, and not really missing out on Old School 2 - the response, on top of the Halloween post card missing out, is frustration.  

While I do not share their frustration - I at least understand it, and if people want to quit because of it, that's unfortunate, but what else can be done?  Dave, with the help of other forum members, has made moves to at least ease some of the disappointment people are encountering due to the quick sell-out.  Along with that, he's also making thoughtful suggestions as to how the next pre-sale can avoid this same situation.  

In the end, you can't make someone want to collect something.  People lose interest in all sorts of hobbies all the time, for any number of reasons.   If the moves and adjustments Dave and Topps are making to address these frustrations, going forward, is not enough to keep these folks excited to collect - that sucks, but you can't say that serious efforts have not been made to keep people happy.  

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #192 on: November 30, 2010, 07:46:17 PM »
I hate to add my 2 cents in such an emotional time, but really, there are 4000 boxes left, no one missed out on anything here.
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #193 on: November 30, 2010, 07:47:42 PM »
My guess is that some of this frustration is coming from the fact that a number of collectors also recently missed out on the Halloween post cards so, even though this is just a pre-sale, and not really missing out on Old School 2 - the response, on top of the Halloween post card missing out, is frustration.  

While I do not share their frustration - I at least understand it, and if people want to quit because of it, that's unfortunate, but what else can be done?  Dave, with the help of other forum members, has made moves to at least ease some of the disappointment people are encountering due to the quick sell-out.  Along with that, he's also making thoughtful suggestions as to how the next pre-sale can avoid this same situation.  

In the end, you can't make someone want to collect something.  People lose interest in all sorts of hobbies all the time, for any number of reasons.   If the moves and adjustments Dave and Topps are making to address these frustrations, going forward, is not enough to keep these folks excited to collect - that sucks, but you can't say that serious efforts have not been made to keep people happy.  

Well said Jason, and as I mentioned I do understand the frustration over missing out on the postcard series, but this is a different deal and they shouldn't be lumping them together.  Now if the balance of the boxes sold out in 24 hours and a bunch of collectors missed out entirely, that's a different story, but that's not going to happen.  Even if it blows away Series 1 we will still be talking several weeks, not hours.  As long as members check the forum every day or so there should be no way they get shut out. 

Offline bandaches

« Reply #194 on: November 30, 2010, 08:05:43 PM »
I am still perplexed by your post, you didn't miss out on these!  All you missed was a small discount!  You can get a box and pull a great sketch just like anyone else!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #195 on: November 30, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
I was thinking the same thing but I was reading all of the posts before responding to try to figure out what I was missing.  The ones that have issues over this are basing their frustration on $5.00 a box?  Seriously?  I can see being frustrated over the Postcard series because it sold out so fast and those that missed out have to scramble somehow to get a set, but in this case these will be readily available for plenty of time for everyone that wants them, in multiple quantities.  The only thing some missed out on were the special rate, but it was a SPECIAL.  Maybe Dave shouldn't do the special pre-orders anymore and just have Topps sell them at the same rate to everyone. 

I'm not one of the guys who is going to quit, but I did express frustration, so I'll chime in here. My frustration is with Topps not putting a buy limit on this series. I would think the point of having a pre-order is to help out the hard core fans, not the eBay flippers. I can afford the extra $5 a box (plus shipping, I imagine), so it's really not about the money (although, I'll probably buy 1 or 2 fewer boxes this way). Jason pointed out that some of us (me included) missed out on the Halloween Postcard set as well, and that plays a role in my frustration. It gets frustrating missing out on something SPECIAL, no matter how small.

I certainly don't want to see Topps end the pre-orders, even if I miss out. As I stated before, I'm very glad to hear that there will be changes to upcoming Old School pre-orders. I was merely expressing my point of view, to try to encourage Topps to make those changes - and I feel like I was heard, so color me happy, and I'll refrain from responding any further.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #196 on: November 30, 2010, 08:18:31 PM »
I'm not one of the guys who is going to quit, but I did express frustration, so I'll chime in here. My frustration is with Topps not putting a buy limit on this series. I would think the point of having a pre-order is to help out the hard core fans, not the eBay flippers. I can afford the extra $5 a box (plus shipping, I imagine), so it's really not about the money (although, I'll probably buy 1 or 2 fewer boxes this way). Jason pointed out that some of us (me included) missed out on the Halloween Postcard set as well, and that plays a role in my frustration. It gets frustrating missing out on something SPECIAL, no matter how small.

I certainly don't want to see Topps end the pre-orders, even if I miss out. As I stated before, I'm very glad to hear that there will be changes to upcoming Old School pre-orders. I was merely expressing my point of view, to try to encourage Topps to make those changes - and I feel like I was heard, so color me happy, and I'll refrain from responding any further.

This seems like a reasonable response. 

I think everyone, the forum, Dave, and Topps, were surprised by the incredibly rapid sell-out of the pre-sale.  This was not an issue at all with the Old School 1 pre-sale, so the precedent was that it shouldn't be a problem this time.  That's a reasonable thing, so I can understand why no one thought to put a box limit on the pre-sale.  But clearly, things have changed.  And now they know. 

Sounds like next time, there will be some kind of initial window of box-limits during the pre-sale period - so at least it's addressed next time.

Offline loki

« Reply #197 on: November 30, 2010, 08:19:26 PM »
The binder?  I was planning on buying that when they go on sale anyway because I wasn't going to buy 5 boxes just so I could get a binder. Apparently now I'll have to buy another box at regular price anyway so I can just add the binder in with that order.

I'm glad that we're getting at least one box per person from this pre-sale, and everything else that has been said about having an order limit on the pre-sale makes sense, I'm not sure why Topps didn't think of it, but not for the regular sale. In hindsight if there was a limit of 5 per and 1000 available, that's at least 200 very lucky people vs the regular price at least.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #198 on: November 30, 2010, 08:19:46 PM »
OK, I have the one box situation covered so everything with that and the posters will work out fine.

Two forum members graciously gave up a number of boxes to help this all work so thanks to them. One of them was Brad so a big thanks to him! If the other person is OK with it I will post who that was.

To be honest I don't see what the major uproar is though in terms of being SO upset as to give up on newer Wackys altogether. There will still be 4000 boxes available so it's not sold out. This is just a discounted price special which is something Topps does not do for any other series anyway. If there had never been one people wouldn't even be talking of being upset because you would just buy them the same way as ANS. In this case everyone is still getting some kind of discount and freebies and at least one box so it's far different than what happened with the postcards where if you missed out you're dependent on the secondary market and highly inflated prices. Boxes will be plentiful in a few weeks at only $5 more.

A simple 5 box limit over a 48 hour period with a start time lowered to 9pm EST should do the trick next time. Anything left after the first 48 hours is fair game for the people who wanted 6 or more. I'll work with them to fine tune it. Again, the first series lasted the full three days so no one saw any reason that this wouldn't as well (and this one was a bit more expensive too). It's just bad luck and a learning experience.

Thanks to Brad and the anonymous forum member for helping the rest of us out. You guys rock!

Thanks also, Dave, for all the time and effort you're investing to work this thing out.

The 5 box limit for the first 48 hours with a 9PM EST start time sounds great!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #199 on: November 30, 2010, 08:20:30 PM »
OK, I have the one box situation covered so everything with that and the posters will work out fine.

Two forum members graciously gave up a number of boxes to help this all work so thanks to them. One of them was Brad so a big thanks to him! If the other person is OK with it I will post who that was.

To be honest I don't see what the major uproar is though in terms of being SO upset as to give up on newer Wackys altogether. There will still be 4000 boxes available so it's not sold out. This is just a discounted price special which is something Topps does not do for any other series anyway. If there had never been one people wouldn't even be talking of being upset because you would just buy them the same way as ANS. In this case everyone is still getting some kind of discount and freebies and at least one box so it's far different than what happened with the postcards where if you missed out you're dependent on the secondary market and highly inflated prices. Boxes will be plentiful in a few weeks at only $5 more.

A simple 5 box limit over a 48 hour period with a start time lowered to 9pm EST should do the trick next time. Anything left after the first 48 hours is fair game for the people who wanted 6 or more. I'll work with them to fine tune it. Again, the first series lasted the full three days so no one saw any reason that this wouldn't as well (and this one was a bit more expensive too). It's just bad luck and a learning experience.

Yo Dave,

Way late to the party here!!! Are you saying that the 86 people who missed out are going to get posters ( sketch and regular) while the ones that ordered via Topps won't be getting any posters?? just the binders if you ordered 5 or or boxes?Did I get that right?? NOW I AM PISSED!!!
BTW what comes in the binders???
Or is Topps sending FREEBIES and those are part of it...like OLDS1 based on the # of boxes?
I think you are going above and beyond the call - kudos to you - can you send me posters as well???

Are the same people whining about missing the pre-sale the same people whining about the PostCard series miss?? FYI...You guys need to be MORE CALCULATED!!!
Dave - Whe are you seding out the flyer and promo??...BTW great job...  

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #200 on: November 30, 2010, 08:25:27 PM »
This seems like a reasonable response. 

I think everyone, the forum, Dave, and Topps, were surprised by the incredibly rapid sell-out of the pre-sale.  This was not an issue at all with the Old School 1 pre-sale, so the precedent was that it shouldn't be a problem this time.  That's a reasonable thing, so I can understand why no one thought to put a box limit on the pre-sale.  But clearly, things have changed.  And now they know. 

Sounds like next time, there will be some kind of initial window of box-limits during the pre-sale period - so at least it's addressed next time.

Dude,

I don't think Topps is doing a pre-sale next time!! after all the whining and complaining.."you can please some of the peeps..etc..." you get the point...

They are probably fed up...the limit on pre-sale won't work either..more constraints for them...they'll just bag it...I would...then others will complain they missed out on that one too....

Offline bandaches

« Reply #201 on: November 30, 2010, 08:32:59 PM »
Dude,

I don't think Topps is doing a pre-sale next time!! after all the whining and complaining.."you can please some of the peeps..etc..." you get the point...

They are probably fed up...the limit on pre-sale won't work either..more constraints for them...they'll just bag it...I would...then others will complain they missed out on that one too....

How does one get on this mystery email list of Topps?  I have ordered from Topps online many times yet I am not on any email list, that is for sure....

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #202 on: November 30, 2010, 08:48:45 PM »

I’ve wondered how boxes with sketches are randomized.

I’m imagining a huge game of musical chairs in the Topps shipping warehouse. 

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #203 on: November 30, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
Are you saying that the 86 people who missed out are going to get posters ( sketch and regular) while the ones that ordered via Topps won't be getting any posters?? just the binders if you ordered 5 or or boxes?Did I get that right?? NOW I AM PISSED!!!

No, Topps is not sending people posters. This is not a Topps deal. I am organizing getting the single box for each of 86 people myself through working with some people that had bought many extras and dealing with the limited amount of boxes left after some people's credit cards were declined. That will be 86 total for 86 people. The only thing Topps is doing for me and everyone is shipping them for free. I am going to give the posters I get from Topps as part of my deal with them to the 86 people who missed out on getting extra boxes/ the binders or whatever. That's like $2500 or so in posters I am giving of my own. These posters are mine and have nothing to do with Topps. I am only going to ask people cover the tube and postage through PayPal.

The binder comes with an OLDS2 wax wrapper.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 09:06:34 PM by slamjim »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #204 on: November 30, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
I’ve wondered how boxes with sketches are randomized.

I’m imagining a huge game of musical chairs in the Topps shipping warehouse. 

I have brought up with them making sure all the sketches are completely mixed up. They said they were last time but I am emphasizing it to them again as something people want to desperately see happen.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #205 on: December 01, 2010, 05:29:38 AM »

Yo Dave,

Way late to the party here!!! Are you saying that the 86 people who missed out are going to get posters ( sketch and regular) while the ones that ordered via Topps won't be getting any posters?? just the binders if you ordered 5 or or boxes?Did I get that right?? NOW I AM PISSED!!!

OK, so getting angry is the correct reaction to missing out on something. Got it.

Or is Topps sending FREEBIES and those are part of it...like OLDS1 based on the # of boxes?
I think you are going above and beyond the call - kudos to you - can you send me posters as well???

Are the same people whining about missing the pre-sale the same people whining about the PostCard series miss?? FYI...You guys need to be MORE CALCULATED!!!
Dave - Whe are you seding out the flyer and promo??...BTW great job...  

Maybe you need to be less calculated so you don't miss out on the extras the late people get!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #206 on: December 01, 2010, 05:30:47 AM »
Dude,

Careful, it's starting to sound like you're whining and complaining.

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2010, 06:16:29 AM »
How does one get on this mystery email list of Topps?  I have ordered from Topps online many times yet I am not on any email list, that is for sure....

Ernie, I've had the same problem with Topps.  Fortunately I've kept up with new releases via Dave's emails and this forum, but not once has Topps corporate ever sent me an email announcing anything Wacky related.  I DO get occasional emails promoting various sports sets I couldn't care less about, but that's it.  I'm not sure they're set up to notify anyone about Wacky Packages related items.

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #208 on: December 01, 2010, 06:58:08 AM »
No, Topps is not sending people posters. This is not a Topps deal. I am organizing getting the single box for each of 86 people myself through working with some people that had bought many extras and dealing with the limited amount of boxes left after some people's credit cards were declined. That will be 86 total for 86 people. The only thing Topps is doing for me and everyone is shipping them for free. I am going to give the posters I get from Topps as part of my deal with them to the 86 people who missed out on getting extra boxes/ the binders or whatever. That's like $2500 or so in posters I am giving of my own. These posters are mine and have nothing to do with Topps. I am only going to ask people cover the tube and postage through PayPal.

The binder comes with an OLDS2 wax wrapper.

Dave,
Thanks for going through all these contortions trying to get some kind of deal for those of us who missed out on the pre-sale.  This whole topic is on verge of becoming a case of "beating the dead horse," but I'll chime in with my 2 cents anyhow:

•  The pre-sale was announced pretty clearly on this forum, so for people like myself who just assumed we'd have a couple of days to order, that's our fault for not getting to it fast enough.  I do think that Topps would have been wise to limit the pre-sale quantities to 5 per customer, but Dave's already said they'll do that next time (assuming there is a next time for this pre-sale), so that's taken care of.  It's a bummer for those of us who missed out, but I still think it's better than weak sales.  Poor sales = no future releases.  Personally, I am hoping for an Old School 3.

•  The cheaper price and free shipper were a nice bonus, but as Dave said, you can still buy the boxes at the regular price (which isn't THAT much more than the presale price, especially if you're only buying a couple of boxes).  

•  If you weren't on Dave's mailing list and are not happy about that, then just PM him and ask to be on it for the next time something like this comes up.  Problem solved!

•  I agree with Dave that there's no reason to limit sales on the regular release date.  Topps isn't making Wackys out of the goodness of their hearts; they actually want to sell product - all of it, if possible.  So there's no upside to them in holding back sales and potentially ending up with unsold product.  It just doesn't make sense from a business standpoint, especially when they already did a presale at a significant discount.  If you're really worried about it selling out, then be sure to get online right when they go on sale.  With 4000 boxes available, they're not going to sell out in an hour, or even a day, I would guess.  

•  The one thing that I am still bummed about is missing out on the free binder with the 5 box order, as I think those binders are a bit pricey to being with.  Dave, is there any chance that Topps might offer ONE free binder to anyone who buys a certain number of boxes during the regular sale?  Maybe you'd need to buy more than 5 boxes for to get it (perhaps 10?), but at some point, I'd think the overall total sale price would warrant something extra.  They could still charge for the extra shipping that binder may require; it would just be a bonus item thrown into the shipper box.  And since you'd only get one free binder regardless of how many boxes you bought beyond the minimum, it wouldn't be a big bonus for high quantity ebay buyers; more of an individual collector incentive.  What do you think?

•  Again, I feel that Dave has gone above and beyond with this whole thing trying to make all of us happy.  It's not like Topps is paying him to spend hours writing posts, sending emails and giving out posters to help out the core collectors.  So I hope we can all at least appreciate his efforts here, even if we're frustrated with Topps and how this played out.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 06:59:47 AM by Tic_Toc »

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #209 on: December 01, 2010, 07:08:52 AM »
The 5 box limit for the first 48 hours with a 9PM EST start time sounds great!

I too think this might help. 

However, do remember what Dave posted earlier: there was his mailing list (a couple hundred folks), Topps' mailing list (with thousands of folks on it), plus updates on Twiter and Facebook (which has the potential to reach thousands and thousands more folks).  So, even if next time they offer 1000 in pre-sale and limit it to 5 per person, all it would take is 200 folks buying the max of 5 to sell it out.  With the far-reaching expanse of the Internet, this could still easily sell out in a couple hours.  We have to remember that there are most likely a lot more people in the world collecting Wackys than just those on the forum(s).

As Dave noted with his Black Friday Best Buy example, if folks want to get in on a bargain they have to sacrifice a little for it.  Otherwise, just buy your boxes during the regular sale.  If I had not gotten my two boxes at 5:20am on Wednesday the 24th (probably two of the last boxes by accounts) I would have just bought two come the end of December.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 07:15:53 AM by Crakola Crayons »
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

anything