Author Topic: Wacky Packages Old School - PRE-SALE THREAD - non-spoiler!  (Read 90818 times)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
Re: Wacky Packages Old School - PRE-SALE THREAD - non-spoiler!
« Reply #140 on: November 24, 2010, 05:12:34 PM »
If this sells out before the Friday night end I'll see if they can put some additional ones up ASAP as I want to make sure everyone that got the email or is on the forum can get some if they like.

Dave, I just got a chance to get online (Wednesday night 8pm ET) and noticed that I didn't stand a chance on ordering any boxes even though I thought Olds2 would be on sale for 3 days. No where near 3 day's. Didn't even make a 1/2 a day. I sent you a reply to the e-mail you've sent about missing this pre-sale deal. I only want to order 5 boxes not 75, 300 or 1000. Geeeeze. Can't help but feel bummed.  :'(
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 05:30:19 PM by Playbug »
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

wackyone

« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2010, 11:23:08 PM »
Dave, I just got a chance to get online (Wednesday night 8pm ET) and noticed that I didn't stand a chance on ordering any boxes even though I thought Olds2 would be on sale for 3 days. No where near 3 day's. Didn't even make a 1/2 a day. I sent you a reply to the e-mail you've sent about missing this pre-sale deal. I only want to order 5 boxes not 75, 300 or 1000. Geeeeze. Can't help but feel bummed.  :'(

no worries..he'll get ya hooked up  :great:

Offline Beanball

« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2010, 10:47:48 PM »
If this sells out before the Friday night end I'll see if they can put some additional ones up ASAP as I want to make sure everyone that got the email or is on the forum can get some if they like.
That would be nice of them. I could use a few boxes.

Offline Liptorn

« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2010, 01:44:54 PM »
Is there an approx. shipping date for Old School pre-orders?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2010, 02:09:54 PM »
Is there an approx. shipping date for Old School pre-orders?

Approx. shipping date is Dec 28th

Offline loki

« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2010, 02:32:03 PM »
I too, went on the site when I got the email, apparently they were already sold out when I saw it. This was Nov. 24th at about 5PM EST, disappointing that they sold out this fast and the limited amount of notice which was given. I would have ordered 2 boxes, not a ridiculous amount like 1000... if anybody has a couple to spare from their order I'd be interested, send a PM or something.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2010, 02:57:30 PM »
I too, went on the site when I got the email, apparently they were already sold out when I saw it. This was Nov. 24th at about 5PM EST, disappointing that they sold out this fast and the limited amount of notice which was given. I would have ordered 2 boxes, not a ridiculous amount like 1000... if anybody has a couple to spare from their order I'd be interested, send a PM or something.

I did send out an email 4 days before the email with the link to warn people ahead of time. I just added you to the list for select people to get a new email around Tuesday to get the boxes at the pre-sale price. The list is getting large so they may have a box limit (though 2 should not be a problem). They will also not take orders from anyone that did get orders in during the sell out.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2010, 08:25:34 PM »
I did send out an email 4 days before the email with the link to warn people ahead of time. I just added you to the list for select people to get a new email around Tuesday to get the boxes at the pre-sale price. The list is getting large so they may have a box limit (though 2 should not be a problem). They will also not take orders from anyone that did get orders in during the sell out.

Hi Dave. If they limit the boxes we can order (although I do feel that would not be fair due to the ad saying availability for 3 days) would we still be able to get the binder and wrapper with the "box limit" order?  :^)  I know they didn't expect to sell out that fast, but maybe the ad should of had a disclaimer that could of warned of such a thing like, this pre-sale offer has a limited supply and may not be available for the whole 3 day period. Something like that would of got my ass on the computer that night. But I literally felt like, hey, I got 3 day's to do it (although I tried at the first chance I got). I must admit, it was kinda cool to think that I could actually put my order in and not have to worry or panic about it - boy was I wrong. I am not exaggerating, I really did think this.
So now I have to ask: Tuesday will we have a limited time to act, cuz I know I'll probably get this e-mail when I am AT work. Do I need to call out sick (which I never do) or quit in the middle of the day?   :-\ 
Alright, now I am getting Wacky.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2010, 08:45:50 PM »
Hi Dave. If they limit the boxes we can order (although I do feel that would not be fair due to the ad saying availability for 3 days) would we still be able to get the binder and wrapper with the "box limit" order?  :^)  I know they didn't expect to sell out that fast, but maybe the ad should of had a disclaimer that could of warned of such a thing like, this pre-sale offer has a limited supply and may not be available for the whole 3 day period. Something like that would of got my ass on the computer that night. But I literally felt like, hey, I got 3 day's to do it (although I tried at the first chance I got). I must admit, it was kinda cool to think that I could actually put my order in and not have to worry or panic about it - boy was I wrong. I am not exaggerating, I really did think this.
So now I have to ask: Tuesday will we have a limited time to act, cuz I know I'll probably get this e-mail when I am AT work. Do I need to call out sick (which I never do) or quit in the middle of the day?   :-\ 
Alright, now I am getting Wacky.
Dave did say there would be a limit on number of presale boxes "Limited amount of pre-sale boxes but I don't know the total (probably around the same amount as last time)."
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2010, 09:12:51 PM »
As Ernie just posted I did mention that it would be limited with the same as last time and mentioned 1000 but possibly a bit more. They decided on 1000.

Since it's now Midnight Friday I am closing the pre-sale/ pre-sale list. I have 86 people to try to get Topps to get boxes for. I honestly don't know how many extra boxes Topps will allow with this extension and if there will be a limit. I highly doubt they won't give people a chance for at least 5 so they can get the binder offer. As I posted earlier there were quite a few people who only need one-three boxes. I have to email Topps the email list, they will look over it to make sure there are no people who already ordered and give me a new link for people on the list only. IF YOU POST THE LINK ANYWHERE YOU WILL FORFEIT YOUR CHANCE TO BUY AT THE PRE-SALE PRICE. No email except what is on this new list can buy. I'm sure they will give the people on the list more than the one day since they know exactly who will be buying. I won't know any new news until late Monday.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2010, 02:18:35 AM »
As usual, Dave is going above and beyond here for forum members. I enjoyed the Midnight Madness sale. I live in NJ and it was very late night for me but Wackies are worth being tired for occasionally.

Regards,  DrDeal

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2010, 05:02:39 AM »
As Ernie just posted I did mention that it would be limited with the same as last time and mentioned 1000 but possibly a bit more. They decided on 1000.

Since it's now Midnight Friday I am closing the pre-sale/ pre-sale list. I have 86 people to try to get Topps to get boxes for. I honestly don't know how many extra boxes Topps will allow with this extension and if there will be a limit. I highly doubt they won't give people a chance for at least 5 so they can get the binder offer. As I posted earlier there were quite a few people who only need one-three boxes. I have to email Topps the email list, they will look over it to make sure there are no people who already ordered and give me a new link for people on the list only. IF YOU POST THE LINK ANYWHERE YOU WILL FORFEIT YOUR CHANCE TO BUY AT THE PRE-SALE PRICE. No email except what is on this new list can buy. I'm sure they will give the people on the list more than the one day since they know exactly who will be buying. I won't know any new news until late Monday.

Thanks again for the update Dave and congrats on this new series. Looking forward to getting them!  :great:

Offline loki

« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2010, 06:50:58 PM »
Sorry, just so you know, I only received the email on the 24th not the one 4 days before, warning of the presale.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2010, 04:24:52 PM »
Surprised no one has posted the latest from Dave regarding OLDS2:

Hello,

Well, I have bad news mixed with a little good news.

Bad news first (for anyone that wanted more than one box). Topps told me today that they cannot do another pre-sale link. Apparently, a number of people called into Topps complaining about me promising a select group of people the special offer again. The claim is that I am selecting people to get the special rate over other people who have as much right to it should it be offered again. Since everyone had the same warning and chance to get them they can't choose people based on my list since they also sent out a general mailing list and the links were also placed on Facebook and Twitter. They already did not have enough boxes they could release to cover the 86 people who contacted me (possibly running up to 400 more boxes) so adding anyone else would have been out of hand.

What I think happened: There were around 5-8 people that bought multiple boxes in the 20+ range. Obviously, if they had bought around 5 then pretty much everyone would have been covered. Based on last years pre-sale which was also 1000 boxes and three days no one had any idea this would sell out in 6 hours. The last pre-sale sold 985 boxes and lasted the full three days. Can't really blame Topps based on last year's results and can't really blame the heavy box buyers because they didn't have any restrictions and in fact, there were just way more buyers this time. There were many people not on my list that were left out too. It's just one of those unfortunate things. So next time around there will be a limit placed on pre-sale orders to ensure everyone has the fair chance to get around 3-5 boxes (whatever the plan is next time) at the sale price and with any shipping or goodies thrown in. We will work to make sure this situation does not happen again.

OK, the good news: I am still working on getting all 86 people at least one box at the pre-sale price and with free shipping. You just have to give me a few weeks to work it out (and finish up my getting my very late OLDS2 paintings done!). Around 20 or so people only asked for one anyway so those people will end up happy. For everyone else, not as much. BUT...Topps owes me a ton of posters for this series so what I'm going to do for anyone (of the 86 that were left out) interested is give you a free OLDS2 poster and free OLDS2 sketch poster from my stash. You would only have to pay me for the tube and shipping which we can do through PayPal when the time comes. This will come from me, not Topps so they would not be playing favorites. I would. That's a $32 (I think) value which would essentially replace the binder as a freebie and you would save some additional cash to cover the $5 more the regular price of OLDS2 will be when it goes on normal sale in late December if you choose to pick up additional boxes. The regular price is only $5 more than the pre-sale and both posters together are worth around $10 more than the binder. Hope this takes some of the sting out of the situation. With these thrown in the reality of the situation is if you were buying around 5 boxes it would cost you around $10 or so more and you'd get the 2 posters instead of the binder. For anyone who was planning to buy a lot of box for dealing or whatever you essentially will just have to factor in $5 more per box for your plans. Not too bad anyway considering the sketch card itself is potentially worth more than the entire box price.

Again, the situation is unfortunate but you never know how these things are going to play out and the fact that there is even a pre-sale at all is pretty good considering Topps does not pre-sell any of their other card lines. So at least everyone is getting some kind of discount. I tried, and based on the current situation, I think my new plan is pretty good for most of the people here. I will LYK along the way how things are progressing but I need until at least the 15th or so of this month to move it along.  If you are still angry you can call Topps about it because I don't have any other pull beyond what I attempted to do!

Thanks,
Dave
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »
This actually has made a long time decision for me easier to finally make.

I am through with new Wackys.  As I look back at the seven ANS series and the OLDS1 series, I realize that there are probably less than 10 titles total that I really like as much as the originals.  I have spent a lot of money hoping to get some cool chase cards only to be disappointed every time.  I realize now that I should have been spending that money on vintage stuff.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

VX HYPERSPACE

« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2010, 04:48:01 PM »
I got that e-mail too. I appreciate Dave working hard to help people. I was a little surprised at first when I read about people calling Topps complaining…but after thinking about it…I shouldn’t have been surprised since complaining is “epidemic”.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2010, 05:23:40 PM »
Thanks, Dave, for working so hard for those of us who missed out on the pre-order. And it is extremely generous of you to help us out with the poster give-away. Thanks!

On the other hand, I am very disappointed in Topps for not setting a limit on the number of boxes one person can order. I remember suggesting they do so for the first Old School series for just this reason; and with the after-market for sketch cards as hot as it is, I don't think this quick sell out was unforeseeable. Bottom line is they did not look out for their core collectors this time. I am happy to hear they are learning from their mistakes and will institute a limit next time.

I share Loren's frustration with these developments. While I'm not ready to give up collecting, I am definitely not ready to give up sleep or a day of work (or even golf) to be able to sit in front of the computer waiting to purchase this stuff. Luckily, the members of this forum are very sharing and generous, and we help each other out. I would love to see Topps start a membership of some sort as has been suggested by others (I especially remember Jason coming up with this idea).

wackyone

« Reply #157 on: November 30, 2010, 05:37:10 PM »
so are they gonna limit the sales per at the end of Dec>???
if not then it don't really matter,we'll still miss out i'm sure,,this hole thing stinks bigtime

i'm shocked that a company that big can't pull it's head outa their ass and get this stuff worked out better
I'm soooo sick of this sh!t

Offline Playskull

« Reply #158 on: November 30, 2010, 05:55:29 PM »

I am through with new Wackys.  As I look back at the seven ANS series and the OLDS1 series, I realize that there are probably less than 10 titles total that I really like as much as the originals.  I have spent a lot of money hoping to get some cool chase cards only to be disappointed every time.  I realize now that I should have been spending that money on vintage stuff.
It's funny you should say this.  Over the past few weeks, I have seriously been toying with the idea of giving up on the new wave of Wackys (2004 and newer).  There are a variety of reasons I have given this so much consideration.  One of them is that it simply drives the "completist" in me crazy that I cannot possibly collect everything from the new era.  There was a time early on in this modern era that I actually thought I could.  It was sometime around the release of the beach towels a few years back that I finally threw my hands up.  Still, I tried to collect *most* things and always thought I could at least get all the cards and their variations. Well, Flashback gold borders killed that dream.  Plus, there have been many other card turnoffs along the way, such as Osaka Popstar and Poligripe, where I am forced to buy $20 items that I have no interest in, just for the card.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet.  Perhaps sell everything 2004 and newer and just keep 1 base set from each series?  Maybe hold on to everything for now in case I get motivated again some day to collect all this stuff.  I can tell you I don't have any bonus cards from ANS7.  I just don't feel like spending money on that series for some reason.  ANS, in general, has never really done much for me.  The postcards & Old School, on the other hand, are both very cool.  But, all the hoarding and flipping with those 2 sets has really gotten ugly and out of control.  It's just not that much fun anymore. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 05:58:06 PM by Playskull »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #159 on: November 30, 2010, 06:09:10 PM »
OK, I have the one box situation covered so everything with that and the posters will work out fine.

Two forum members graciously gave up a number of boxes to help this all work so thanks to them. One of them was Brad so a big thanks to him! If the other person is OK with it I will post who that was.

To be honest I don't see what the major uproar is though in terms of being SO upset as to give up on newer Wackys altogether. There will still be 4000 boxes available so it's not sold out. This is just a discounted price special which is something Topps does not do for any other series anyway. If there had never been one people wouldn't even be talking of being upset because you would just buy them the same way as ANS. In this case everyone is still getting some kind of discount and freebies and at least one box so it's far different than what happened with the postcards where if you missed out you're dependent on the secondary market and highly inflated prices. Boxes will be plentiful in a few weeks at only $5 more.

A simple 5 box limit over a 48 hour period with a start time lowered to 9pm EST should do the trick next time. Anything left after the first 48 hours is fair game for the people who wanted 6 or more. I'll work with them to fine tune it. Again, the first series lasted the full three days so no one saw any reason that this wouldn't as well (and this one was a bit more expensive too). It's just bad luck and a learning experience.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 06:18:16 PM by slamjim »

wackyone

« Reply #160 on: November 30, 2010, 06:13:27 PM »
Boxes will be plentiful in a few weeks at only $5 more.

yes but,, any limits on them per buyer?

wackyone

« Reply #161 on: November 30, 2010, 06:13:51 PM »
It's funny you should say this.  Over the past few weeks, I have seriously been toying with the idea of giving up on the new wave of Wackys (2004 and newer).  There are a variety of reasons I have given this so much consideration.  One of them is that it simply drives the "completist" in me crazy that I cannot possibly collect everything from the new era.  There was a time early on in this modern era that I actually thought I could.  It was sometime around the release of the beach towels a few years back that I finally threw my hands up.  Still, I tried to collect *most* things and always thought I could at least get all the cards and their variations. Well, Flashback gold borders killed that dream.  Plus, there have been many other card turnoffs along the way, such as Osaka Popstar and Poligripe, where I am forced to buy $20 items that I have no interest in, just for the card.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet.  Perhaps sell everything 2004 and newer and just keep 1 base set from each series?  Maybe hold on to everything for now in case I get motivated again some day to collect all this stuff.  I can tell you I don't have any bonus cards from ANS7.  I just don't feel like spending money on that series for some reason.  ANS, in general, has never really done much for me.  The postcards & Old School, on the other hand, are both very cool.  But, all the hoarding and flipping with those 2 sets has really gotten ugly and out of control.  It's just not that much fun anymore. 

I know how you feel,,your NOT alone.
Many of us are thinkin' like this as well,this whole thing has gotten outa control.
I'm so happy my 1st-16th is in shape for the most part,,,they really are the only REAL wacky's any more.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #162 on: November 30, 2010, 06:17:20 PM »
yes but,, any limits on them per buyer?

I see no reason to put limits on 4000 boxes. 4000 boxes is a huge number. It took 2 1/2 months to sell 2650. That is counter productive to the series selling at a normal rate and ensuring future series. A pre-sale is one thing. A normal sale is totally different. 

wackyone

« Reply #163 on: November 30, 2010, 06:23:37 PM »
I see no reason to put limits on 4000 boxes. 4000 boxes is a huge number. It took 2 1/2 months to sell 2650. That is counter productive to the series selling at a normal rate and ensuring future series. A pre-sale is one thing. A normal sale is totally different. 

LOL,,your kidding right!!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #164 on: November 30, 2010, 06:24:28 PM »
The postcards & Old School, on the other hand, are both very cool.  But, all the hoarding and flipping with those 2 sets has really gotten ugly and out of control.  It's just not that much fun anymore. 

Any hoarding or flipping on OLDS shouldn't affect you unless you were trying to collect tons of sketches. Everyone got a sketch. It's only how many more do you want. Plus the base and chase cards were very easy to get. It's very different than the gold borders. Postcards is in a worse situation than OLDS in that they have a very tight limit. The sketch cards might be far more detrimental to that series but people love them so what do you do? I have some ideas I think will help but I will tell Neil in private first and let him think about it.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #165 on: November 30, 2010, 06:24:36 PM »
OK, I have the one box situation covered so everything with that and the posters will work out fine.

Two forum members graciously gave up a number of boxes to help this all work so thanks to them. One of them was Brad so a big thanks to him! If the other person is OK with it I will post who that was.

To be honest I don't see what the major uproar is though in terms of being SO upset as to give up on newer Wackys altogether. There will still be 4000 boxes available so it's not sold out. This is just a discounted price special which is something Topps does not do for any other series anyway. If there had never been one people wouldn't even be talking of being upset because you would just buy them the same way as ANS. In this case everyone is still getting some kind of discount and freebies and at least one box so it's far different than what happened with the postcards where if you missed out you're dependent on the secondary market and highly inflated prices. Boxes will be plentiful in a few weeks at only $5 more.

A simple 5 box limit over a 48 hour period with a start time lowered to 9pm EST should do the trick next time. Anything left after the first 48 hours is fair game for the people who wanted 6 or more. I'll work with them to fine tune it. Again, the first series lasted the full three days so no one saw any reason that this wouldn't as well (and this one was a bit more expensive too). It's just bad luck and a learning experience.
Funny how tremendous success equates to bad luck!  If we all had this kind of bad luck, we would be lucky to have it!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #166 on: November 30, 2010, 06:25:44 PM »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #167 on: November 30, 2010, 06:26:15 PM »
Funny how tremendous success equates to bad luck!  If we all had this kind of bad luck, we would be lucky to have it!

I know, totally weird.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #168 on: November 30, 2010, 06:28:26 PM »

I'm really confused by this. Dave is helping out 86 people with one box each for a savings of $5. Topps is taking a big loss by this because of how much it will cost just to send one box. So you guys are in an uproar over $5? I don't get it. You didn't even talk about ordering 5 boxes to get the free binder. That is a bigger deal. You would save $25, get a free binder, and get free shipping. You all can still buy your one box when they go on sale at the end of the month. There is no shortage!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #169 on: November 30, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »

Hey Dave, thanks for trying on our behalf. Look forward to getting the next e-mail from ya after a few weeks. Now finish those paintings!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #170 on: November 30, 2010, 06:30:17 PM »
Great. So now people want to splinter into factions of ANS haters and supporters? Let's bring Ron back to head the "ANS aren't real Wackys" brigade. I can't believe people are so upset about not saving five bucks. You didn't miss out on Old School. You just missed out on a chance to save five measly dollars. WTF?!

wackyone

« Reply #171 on: November 30, 2010, 06:31:51 PM »
Great. So now people want to splinter into factions of ANS haters and supporters? Let's bring Ron back to head the "ANS aren't real Wackys" brigade. I can't believe people are so upset about not saving five bucks. You didn't miss out on Old School. You just missed out on a chance to save five measly dollars. WTF?!

i don't give a fuck about $10

wackyone

« Reply #172 on: November 30, 2010, 06:32:11 PM »
Because i had a deal with Brad to buy a few boxes with him i never got on your list {Dave} so now i'm outa the pre-sale all togther is my issue.
It's not that big a deal really with them on sale at the end of the month {if so} but with no limits of ANY kind at that time your gonna see huge numbers flyin' out the door,,i know Topps don't care but that's the whole problem.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #173 on: November 30, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
i don't give a fuck about $10

O.K. I'll p.m. you my addy, send it to me.  :great:

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #174 on: November 30, 2010, 06:37:26 PM »
Because i had a deal with Brad to buy a few boxes with him i never got on your list {Dave} so now i'm outa the pre-sale all togther is my issue.
It's not that big a deal really with them on sale at the end of the month {if so} but with no limits of ANY kind at that time your gonna see huge numbers flyin' out the door,,i know Topps don't care but that's the whole problem.

There is more to this than your letting on. If you don't care about the $10 then what is it? You can still order!

anything