Author Topic: It's impossible.... sigh  (Read 5885 times)

Offline Brian Mc

It's impossible.... sigh
« on: November 08, 2010, 10:28:35 AM »
  I'm 42, and an old fan of Wackys. I recently got back into collecting, and have been focusing on the ANS sets. I had been using Greg Grants site for info and purchased MANY items from him. I thought I had everything from 2004 up till now (bonus cards, promos, book cards, etc etc), then I came across this Forum and some other Wacky sites and realized that I will NEVER get them all. It is impossible. I have 4 children, a home, etc etc.... I simply can't spend EVERY DOLLAR on Wackys, as much as I (and my kids) love them.

I'm kind of a completist, but I only want the trading card-sized stickers. I'm not interested in sketches, bios cards, etc etc... just the official stickers. I recently ordered all the Postcard sets from Topps, and a Halloween set from eBay.... and realized that the bonus stickers I'm getting are different than the bonus cards from the "first" release of the Postcards. So, I'll be missing stickers like Grave Nuts, Hoppy Meal, Gaggin' Strips, Philly's Runt....   Not to mention, the 2010 Philly show promo of Reeses Peepers..... and Lord knows how many others. I can't keep up with them, frankly (I just found out about the Osaka Popstar sticker.. are you kidding??). On top of the disappointment of finding out that my collection is missing these virtually unknown items, I have to pay handsomely to add them on the secondary market. I haven't even tried to find the 2010 Philly card... I imagine it will be something like $50 on eBay ....I'm too frustrated to even look! LOL  I mean, seriously, I have to buy a collectors binder to get Poligripe? And spend 20 something dollars for one sticker?? Boo!

I know I'm just spouting off, and I don't mean to gripe so much... it's just frustrating. Almost to the point of giving up collecting...and I don't want to give it up! My 9 year old daughter JUST started with base ANS7 set, but I'm getting disillusioned. All these "double-secret-probation stickers" are sucking the fun and satisfaction out of it for me.

By the way, I understand that a lot of these "chase cards" are seen as rewards for the truly dedicated collectors... like many of you here.... but, they're mainly beginning to dissuade me from collecting.  :-[

Thanks for letting me vent! I hope I make it through!

Brian Mc
Brian Mc

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: It's impossible.... sigh
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:55:15 AM »
Don't get discouraged. I know it's a lot to keep up with but take it one day at a time. Put a list together of what you are looking for. People on the forum can help because quite a few of us acquire more than one of each card and such. The prices may scare you a bit depending on budget but you may find some good deals.
Put your list up in the trading or buying section and let people help you out.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 11:10:31 AM »
  I'm 42, and an old fan of Wackys. I recently got back into collecting, and have been focusing on the ANS sets. I had been using Greg Grants site for info and purchased MANY items from him. I thought I had everything from 2004 up till now (bonus cards, promos, book cards, etc etc), then I came across this Forum and some other Wacky sites and realized that I will NEVER get them all. It is impossible. I have 4 children, a home, etc etc.... I simply can't spend EVERY DOLLAR on Wackys, as much as I (and my kids) love them.

I'm kind of a completist, but I only want the trading card-sized stickers. I'm not interested in sketches, bios cards, etc etc... just the official stickers. I recently ordered all the Postcard sets from Topps, and a Halloween set from eBay.... and realized that the bonus stickers I'm getting are different than the bonus cards from the "first" release of the Postcards. So, I'll be missing stickers like Grave Nuts, Hoppy Meal, Gaggin' Strips, Philly's Runt....   Not to mention, the 2010 Philly show promo of Reeses Peepers..... and Lord knows how many others. I can't keep up with them, frankly (I just found out about the Osaka Popstar sticker. are you kidding??). On top of the disappointment of finding out that my collection is missing these virtually unknown items, I have to pay handsomely to add them on the secondary market. I haven't even tried to find the 2010 Philly card... I imagine it will be something like $50 on eBay ....I'm too frustrated to even look! LOL  I mean, seriously, I have to buy a collectors binder to get Poligripe? And spend 20 something dollars for one sticker?? Boo!

I know I'm just spouting off, and I don't mean to gripe so much... it's just frustrating. Almost to the point of giving up collecting...and I don't want to give it up! My 9 year old daughter JUST started with base ANS7 set, but I'm getting disillusioned. All these "double-secret-probation stickers" are sucking the fun and satisfaction out of it for me.

By the way, I understand that a lot of these "chase cards" are seen as rewards for the truly dedicated collectors... like many of you here.... but, they're mainly beginning to dissuade me from collecting.  :-[

Brian Mc

Brian, I would suggest that you first try to set some parameters based on your budget, and it's ok if you can't afford to buy everything right away.  Most of us are only around halfway through our life so that leaves another 45 years or so to collect! 

You mentioned only wanting the trading card sized stickers, than why are you including the postcards and Peepers postcard on your need list?  Peepers is not trading card size.  On the other hand, the bio-cards are trading card size and represent the postcard titles well, so you may want to add them to your list.  The postcard bonus cards are going to run you about $20.00 each in the aftermarket.

When I feel overwhelmed like you are now I focus on trying to figure out what you actually want to collect, and then write a list of them, and don’t buy things that don’t fit your specific parameters. 

I can help you figure out all of the Post-2004 cards to collect because I’ve kept very good checklists for all series and variations, so PM me if you want them.  Just be prepared that you may find even more cards you weren’t aware of!

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 01:08:19 PM »

I'm kind of a completist, but I only want the trading card-sized stickers. I'm not interested in sketches, bios cards, etc etc... just the official stickers. I recently ordered all the Postcard sets from Topps, and a Halloween set from eBay.... and realized that the bonus stickers I'm getting are different than the bonus cards from the "first" release of the Postcards. So, I'll be missing stickers like Grave Nuts, Hoppy Meal, Gaggin' Strips, Philly's Runt....   Not to mention, the 2010 Philly show promo of Reeses Peepers..... and Lord knows how many others. I can't keep up with them, frankly (I just found out about the Osaka Popstar sticker.. are you kidding??). On top of the disappointment of finding out that my collection is missing these virtually unknown items, I have to pay handsomely to add them on the secondary market. I haven't even tried to find the 2010 Philly card... I imagine it will be something like $50 on eBay ....I'm too frustrated to even look! LOL  I mean, seriously, I have to buy a collectors binder to get Poligripe? And spend 20 something dollars for one sticker?? Boo!

Brian Mc

If you only want trading card sized stickers, that takes a lot off your list!  The postcards and associated bonus and bio cards are cards, not stickers.  And the Peepers promo postcard is postcard sized, and just like the other postcards, it is not a peelable sticker.  All I can think of from postcards that you might want is a Croca-Cola promo sticker, and I can send you one to get you pysched back up.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 03:53:30 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the replies and the ideas to make my hobby a little easier to manage.

To begin, my only real desire is to collect the trading card-sized stickers. Having said that, I DID just order all the postcard sets from Topps. Why? Well, they were all "new" gags and they were only like $8 per set. The price was right, so, I bent my "rules" a little (plus I got some bonus stickers!). I also bought the binder so I could keep them in one place. The money spent on these was very reasonable IMO. It's not like I spent $25 for one sticker.. LOL.

I did not realize that the Reese's Peepers was postcard sized... as such, it has fallen WAY down my list. So, thanks for the clarification on that. And, I just won a Croca Cola promo sticker on Ebay last night for like $2... again, the price was right!

I did not realize that the Bio cards had the postcard gags on them. So, they're not stickers, but otherwise within my parameters. But, aren't the Bio cards cost prohibitive to collect? The "regular" Postcard series that are still available from Topps were so cheap, I just bought those so I could have the gags without spending my whole paycheck.... :-)

Popper, I would love to see an ALL INCLUSIVE set of checklists of all the post 2004 stuff. I think I have 98% of it, but it would be nice to know for sure. Please send me your lists so I can check! I had been using the lists on Greg Grant's site, but it seems they may have been a little short, if you know what I mean. Plus, it looks like he stopped updating that site a while ago.

Here's where I am on the vintage stuff:

I refuse to pay 200, 300, 500+ dollars for that stuff. That's why I was so THRILLED with the 2 Flashback series. If Topps does more FB series and eventually reprint EVERY VINTAGE WACKY... I will be in heaven. See, I just want the images.. the art... the gags. It doesn't have to be an original die cut from 1968.... I just want the image. If it was a reprint from 2009... who cares??  I know I'm probably in the minority on that, but I determined early on that I could not afford to spend all that money just so I could have an "original". If a FB card is EXACTLY like some card from 1972...awesome...and cheaper!  :-)  Because i am hoping Topps continues the "flashback" series, I have completely stayed away from buying the original stuff on the secondary market. I got both FB series together for like $10 on eBay. Those cards, in original form probably would have siphoned $500 out of my wallet, at least.

I guess my first post was more of a rambling rant than a well composed thought, so, sorry about that. I'm just getting frustrated with something that I really do love. If I didn't love it so much, I suppose I would have walked away already, huh?

Brian Mc

PS- After I get some "definitive" checklists, I'll know a little more about where my collection stands. Then, I'll see what I'm missing... make lists... all that stuff you guys suggested. Thanks again!
Brian Mc

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 05:34:09 PM »

Popper, I would love to see an ALL INCLUSIVE set of checklists of all the post 2004 stuff. I think I have 98% of it, but it would be nice to know for sure. Please send me your lists so I can check! I had been using the lists on Greg Grant's site, but it seems they may have been a little short, if you know what I mean. Plus, it looks like he stopped updating that site a while.

Greg's site has good info on ANS1-ANS6 and both Flashback series, but it doesn't include everything, and he kind of stopped adding to it a year or so ago, so it doesn't have many series like Old School and the Postcards.  I'll PM you about my lists!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 06:06:12 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the replies and the ideas to make my hobby a little easier to manage.

To begin, my only real desire is to collect the trading card-sized stickers. Having said that, I DID just order all the postcard sets from Topps. Why? Well, they were all "new" gags and they were only like $8 per set. The price was right, so, I bent my "rules" a little (plus I got some bonus stickers!). I also bought the binder so I could keep them in one place. The money spent on these was very reasonable IMO. It's not like I spent $25 for one sticker.. LOL.

I did not realize that the Reese's Peepers was postcard sized... as such, it has fallen WAY down my list. So, thanks for the clarification on that. And, I just won a Croca Cola promo sticker on Ebay last night for like $2... again, the price was right!

I did not realize that the Bio cards had the postcard gags on them. So, they're not stickers, but otherwise within my parameters. But, aren't the Bio cards cost prohibitive to collect? The "regular" Postcard series that are still available from Topps were so cheap, I just bought those so I could have the gags without spending my whole paycheck.... :-)

Popper, I would love to see an ALL INCLUSIVE set of checklists of all the post 2004 stuff. I think I have 98% of it, but it would be nice to know for sure. Please send me your lists so I can check! I had been using the lists on Greg Grant's site, but it seems they may have been a little short, if you know what I mean. Plus, it looks like he stopped updating that site a while ago.

Here's where I am on the vintage stuff:

I refuse to pay 200, 300, 500+ dollars for that stuff. That's why I was so THRILLED with the 2 Flashback series. If Topps does more FB series and eventually reprint EVERY VINTAGE WACKY... I will be in heaven. See, I just want the images.. the art... the gags. It doesn't have to be an original die cut from 1968.... I just want the image. If it was a reprint from 2009... who cares??  I know I'm probably in the minority on that, but I determined early on that I could not afford to spend all that money just so I could have an "original". If a FB card is EXACTLY like some card from 1972...awesome...and cheaper!  :-)  Because i am hoping Topps continues the "flashback" series, I have completely stayed away from buying the original stuff on the secondary market. I got both FB series together for like $10 on eBay. Those cards, in original form probably would have siphoned $500 out of my wallet, at least.

I guess my first post was more of a rambling rant than a well composed thought, so, sorry about that. I'm just getting frustrated with something that I really do love. If I didn't love it so much, I suppose I would have walked away already, huh?

Brian Mc

PS- After I get some "definitive" checklists, I'll know a little more about where my collection stands. Then, I'll see what I'm missing... make lists... all that stuff you guys suggested. Thanks again!

Some of the most expensive Wackys cost around $3000 a piece so there are very very few complete collections anywhere in the world. If you just want the images then Greg's site should have you covered. There are collectors who print their collections from Greg's scans. Fortunately collecting is not a job. You don't have to do it.

wackyone

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 10:40:29 PM »
I feel your pain Brian and that's why i don't collect everything but i love all the bio's and bonus cards and in most cases it's the only way to obtain the great art in trading card sized cards.
The other bonus cards you listed are all still avalable for about $15-50 each on average and i know many guys that have more then a few of each tucked away still and are always turning up on e-bay every few weeks it seems,considering there were only a few hundred or 500 of these in most cases printed i'm shocked they still turn up.
The amount of serious collectors in this hobby are less then i thought i guess.
When i got back into it a few years ago i was allot like you,,,i refused to pay $100's for chase cards and never intended to start putting together the sets of the 1st-16th cards from the 70's or buy the non-repeated die-cuts from '67 but the series 1-4 reprints from '79-80 were just not enough for me.
Now my collection is almost complete and have even replaced many titles 3 times looking for the perfect card,it's an addicting habit and with health issues i have not had a real job in a couple years so it's been tough but hang in there and you get yours up to par as well,buy watching e-bay and making side deals you'll be surprised what you can afford in this market,5 years ago i would have never paid the money to put togther a 16th set but it's cheaper these days for sure!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:44:00 PM by wackyone »

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 07:02:16 PM »
Been reading through the "Request to buy" page on this site.... I'm afraid to post a list and get hit with 300 PM's and a $1,000 bill!! hahaha

Still waiting for some definitive checklists for all the post-2004 stuff before I post a Want List.

Brian Mc
Brian Mc

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 08:35:57 PM »
I hear you as well. I started back into the hobby last spring after a hiatus of 30+ years and have been putting together my collection a bit at a time.

I started out wanting to have at least one sticker from every one of the standard Wacky series. From there I picked a couple of vintage sets that were my favorites -- ones that held particular importance for me since I collected them when I was a kid. After that it was the ones I "liked" the best, and like you I started to put together the ANS sets one piece at a time.

I've let go of some of the seriously hard to obtain items (some for now and some forever). I decided not to try and complete the parallel color-bordered sets from the FB1 and FB2 (and now ANS7) sets, but instead decided to get one of each color for my favorite sticker from each. I am not planning on ever getting a gold ANS7 card (too rare imo), but have one gold FB1 and one gold FB2 on my "wish list". If I never get them, I'm ok.

Vintage sets like the die-cuts, Wacky Ads, and 16th I'm ok with never completing, but I've got some of each and am slowly building my collection. If I never own a Cracked Animals and Ratz die-cuts I will be ok. Remember: half the fun (at least) is in the collecting of them! At some point (when life settles down -- hopefully next summer/fall) I'm going to sell off my "extras", which will be a whole new experience.

Also if the art is what you are after -- especially from the vintage series -- then you should definitely go for the four "rerun" series from 1979 to 1980. They have lots of great stickers from the vintage 1st to 16th series, and are much cheaper to put together as sets (you will often see entire sets for sale). Originally I wasn't as thrilled with them because I grew up with the vintage sets, but over time I've grown to love ALL Wackys, even the ones I didn't like at first blush. The 3rd rerun series is notorious for being printed with less than the usual color quality, but it's still nice to have.

As others have said, it's a hobby and you can take your time. Stuff keeps showing up on eBay all the time. I've been surprised lately that prices on some things have been going nice and low, which is discouraging on one hand (when I see I've overspent!) but encouraging on the other (shows that they will never completely disappear and will always be available).

One of the hardest things for me so far is to learn to be patient (I want to have 'em all, now!) -- often waiting for Wackys that just came out can save you big $$$'s on eBay. I also recommend using an eBay sniping service like eSnipe.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 08:49:49 PM by Ducko »

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 03:31:32 PM »
I officially started back with ANS 2 after being away from the hobby since the mid 70s when Wackys were popular. Because of e bay and people on this forum. I have been able to get  nearly all the Series 1- 16 Original Series and all the new ANS series. This was not something that I had to break the bank or spend huge funds. With patience you can build a nice collection.

I've had to cut back a bit recently with the bad economy biting into my finances. So I'm careful as to what I can get. Wacky is a hobby that you can enjoy for years and don't get discouraged that you DONT have everything. With time, these things will come.

Have fun!

Choke_Wagon

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 08:07:27 PM »
OK, I just received a spreadsheet of all the Wacky (and Non-Wacky...YES!!) titles. Going through it now and.... well.... I am completely bowled over. Speechless really. A big thank you to Rob for sending it my way. The word "impossible" popped in my mind when I opened the file.  :-)

Brian Mc
Brian Mc

wackyone

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 08:20:09 PM »
OK, I just received a spreadsheet of all the Wacky (and Non-Wacky...YES!!) titles. Going through it now and.... well.... I am completely bowled over. Speechless really. A big thank you to Rob for sending it my way. The word "impossible" popped in my mind when I opened the file.  :-)
Brian Mc

I really don't know why people buy or collect any non-wacky style cards,,they pale in comparison and the money could be better spent on REAL wackys.
The list can't be that bad,,,when i bought all the ASN stuff i bought it all from the same person and it cost less then then most people spend for a night out,and these day on e-bay you can buy the ASN cards in one giant set for $25

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 09:00:06 PM »
I really don't know why people buy or collect any non-wacky style cards,,they pale in comparison and the money could be better spent on REAL wackys.
The list can't be that bad,,,when i bought all the ASN stuff i bought it all from the same person and it cost less then then most people spend for a night out,and these day on e-bay you can buy the ASN cards in one giant set for $25

This list is EVERY Wacky, EVER. Plus every conceivable variation, promo, bonus card , postcard, reprints, wrappers, OPC, Irish, Hostess, Wonder.....and on, and on, and on.

It's WAYYYY more than I'll ever try to collect, but the sheer volume of it all astounded me.

Non-Wackys are personal choice. I like some of them (Pranky, Silly Supermarket, Package Parodies) and they are very economical IMO. Plus, I already had some of the old Crazy Labels, so, they're in too. The "rare" (and therefore, expensive) Non Wackys are off my list. Like you said, I'd rather spend that money on real Wackys. But, I picked up two whole series of Silly Supermarkets for $15. That's totally worth it, to me.

EVERY ANS card ever produced for $25?  Ummm, wow.

Brian Mc
Brian Mc

wackyone

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 09:10:21 PM »
ya i can't afford it all,,,so i draw the line at boxes,wrapper's and OG art and other high end stuff.
i have almost everything else otherwise from die-cuts to 16th w/puzzles and the newer stuff,,all bonus stuff and variations.
It only took me about 3 years and did it on a very limited income

wackyone

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 09:13:24 PM »
EVERY ANS card ever produced for $25?  Ummm, wow.
Brian Mc

ASN1-7 plus both FB sets for $25
the bonus cards and foils can be had for cheap as well,,,just gotta keep your eyes peeled for deals

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 06:06:11 AM »

My first love is definitely Wackys, but when I started re-collecting them again about 10 years ago I developed an interest in any other similar parody cards that parodied products , and was surprised to find many of these sets superseded Wackys.  The art on these sets obviously isn't on-par with Saunders work, but from a collecting standpoint they are fun to collect, and they definitely have a place in the history of parody cards.     

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 07:12:53 PM »
but from a collecting standpoint they are fun to collect, and they definitely have a place in the history of parody cards.     

I agree. Wacky's aren't the ONLY parody cards in history. Just the best! :-)
Brian Mc

anything