Author Topic: POSTCARD WAITING LIST UPDATE  (Read 20376 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: POSTCARD WAITING LIST UPDATE
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2010, 12:01:20 PM »
Easy solution is that forum regulars get to sign up for 5 sets on a first come first served basis. Once everyone has as many sets they want (up to 5 sets) then the general public can have their shot. People who have violated the 5 sets per person rule in order to make a profit should be automatically barred from signing up for any sets.

The key word there is "regular" forum members, because the sellers would join just to get on the list.  It's a good idea if Neil/Topps want to cater to the forum, but it would add a whole other element to coordinate and manage for Neil.  Determining who makes the list and who doesn't could get tricky.  Just trying to bring up a devil's advocate perspective on it.  It would also only be fair to include both forums, so you would have the same issue to deal with on Greg's as well. 

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2010, 12:15:39 PM »
And nobody completes a set.

I assume you're referring to the "sets" of bio cards, "sets" of sketches, etc.   Though personally I have just been collecting one of each limited/unlimited, Topps has enhanced the quick sell-through (or exacerbated the sellout problem) of the limited sets by creating these other sub-sets that can only be completed with access to multiple postcard sets. 

To my eye, the problem to be solved here is this:  How do you keep these postcard sets exciting, special, and buzz-worthy (which they certainly are now) while alienating the least amount of collectors in the process?

A long time ago I suggested that Topps could create a Wacky Packages collectors club, much in the way that Mattel has had a Hot Wheels club, and I think that even Topps had a baseball card club of some kind.  That idea seems to be inline with the subscription service someone was offering. 

But if you do something like that, you have to address Plan9's concern that those who want to put together complete sub-sets (without spending crazy amounts of dough) would be left in the cold. 

I don't know if Topps plans to get rid of the unlimited post card sets going forward, and I'm still unclear of why they opted out of a standard run for the Halloween set.  One solution might be to limit things like the bio cards, or simply include them all with each limited set.   Would that be too damaging to their ability to sell-thru quickly?
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2010, 12:21:13 PM »
The key word there is "regular" forum members, because the sellers would join just to get on the list.  It's a good idea if Neil/Topps want to cater to the forum, but it would add a whole other element to coordinate and manage for Neil.  Determining who makes the list and who doesn't could get tricky.  Just trying to bring up a devil's advocate perspective on it.  It would also only be fair to include both forums, so you would have the same issue to deal with on Greg's as well. 

Yeah, that was my first thought -  Who gets on the list and who gets bumped? That would get tricky!

One thing that I've tried in the past was to limit cards to people who had signed up on the forum before a certain date. That's worked with the giveaways I do for the "Officially Unofficial National Wacky Packages Day" in June. It keeps some of the fringe hoarders from joining the forum just for a card. Anyway, I'm not sure how topps would feel about that idea, but I can always suggest it.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2010, 12:21:50 PM »

Well to include 2 forums would get too tricky. And as for "regular" forum members, I agree, but it can be done.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2010, 01:29:01 PM »
Yeah, that was my first thought -  Who gets on the list and who gets bumped? That would get tricky!

One thing that I've tried in the past was to limit cards to people who had signed up on the forum before a certain date. That's worked with the giveaways I do for the "Officially Unofficial National Wacky Packages Day" in June. It keeps some of the fringe hoarders from joining the forum just for a card. Anyway, I'm not sure how topps would feel about that idea, but I can always suggest it.
Does Topps even care if someone is on a forum? I would think for the sets to sell out quickly is what Topps wants to see. We are all very passionate about this but it would require too much time for Topps. It does stink that some are able to get around the system of buying 5. We really don't know how many people are getting more than 5 so for the most part the 5 card limit by Topps does help out a bit.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2010, 03:15:12 PM »
The key word there is "regular" forum members
I eat a lot of fiber, so does that mean I'm on the list?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2010, 03:46:43 PM »
I would think for the sets to sell out quickly is what Topps wants to see.

You might be right, although with Old School, they were clear that they wanted product available in the store for some time. 

With the postcards, perhaps they simply want them to create buzz within the hobby market.  And, whether it's trading cards or video game consoles, shortages create a lot of buzz.  Maybe that's why an unlimited set was not done this time - to get people really excited about Topps product.

Of course, there is a big potential downside to shortages, and that's what we've also seen a good deal of, at least here on the forum.  So, as much as people are excited, perhaps even more people are upset that they missed out.

Back in the 1990's, Playmates Toys had a highly successful enterprise with their Star Trek action figures.  The sales were good and they were quite popular with fans and collectors.  The company decided to do special "1701 editions"; three different figures in a year, each produced in extremely limited quantities - only 1,701 of each.  What followed were tens of thousands of collectors who had, up until then, been trying to get them all.  Suddenly, those buyers/collectors were off the hook.  And they stopped buying.  The line's rapid decline seemed to follow directly from that marketing stunt. 

No doubt, those 1,701 figures sold out the minute people found them (they were randomly inserted in case packs) - but it did not serve the company, or the hobby that surrounded the figures. 

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2010, 03:47:10 PM »
Does Topps even care if someone is on a forum? I would think for the sets to sell out quickly is what Topps wants to see. We are all very passionate about this but it would require too much time for Topps. It does stink that some are able to get around the system of buying 5. We really don't know how many people are getting more than 5 so for the most part the 5 card limit by Topps does help out a bit.

Topps may or may not care about who buys the sets and whether or not they are on the forum, but fortunately Neil does.  Either way these sets will sell out, so if there is a way to improve the system I'm sure Neil will discuss it with Topps, and we'll keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best!   

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2010, 04:48:58 PM »
I eat a lot of fiber, so does that mean I'm on the list?
If your regularity is a result of eating Raisin Brain, then yes, you make the list!

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2010, 05:57:47 PM »
And nobody completes a set.

No silly, the subscription option is in addition to the current "first come first served" method. It's sole purpose insures that no Wacky fan is left behind.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2010, 09:17:46 PM »
You might be right, although with Old School, they were clear that they wanted product available in the store for some time. 

With the postcards, perhaps they simply want them to create buzz within the hobby market.  And, whether it's trading cards or video game consoles, shortages create a lot of buzz.  Maybe that's why an unlimited set was not done this time - to get people really excited about Topps product.

Of course, there is a big potential downside to shortages, and that's what we've also seen a good deal of, at least here on the forum.  So, as much as people are excited, perhaps even more people are upset that they missed out.

Back in the 1990's, Playmates Toys had a highly successful enterprise with their Star Trek action figures.  The sales were good and they were quite popular with fans and collectors.  The company decided to do special "1701 editions"; three different figures in a year, each produced in extremely limited quantities - only 1,701 of each.  What followed were tens of thousands of collectors who had, up until then, been trying to get them all.  Suddenly, those buyers/collectors were off the hook.  And they stopped buying.  The line's rapid decline seemed to follow directly from that marketing stunt. 

No doubt, those 1,701 figures sold out the minute people found them (they were randomly inserted in case packs) - but it did not serve the company, or the hobby that surrounded the figures. 

Yep, those Playmates Star Trek "1701" figures killed a lot of collector enthusiam, and I think were directly responsible for the demise of the line.  I know I stopped trying for one of everything after that fiasco, and I had been spending a LOT of money on their small and large figure lines.  I was even keeping up with the KayBee exclusive 9" figures, like Piece of the Action, but that 1701 thing totally rubbed me the wrong way.  They did attempt to placate collectors afterwards by bumping up the last figure to 3,000 pieces, and then with a boxed set of reissues, but it didn't work.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2010, 09:20:43 PM »
No silly, the subscription option is in addition to the current "first come first served" method. It's sole purpose insures that no Wacky fan is left behind.

In addition? That sounds great to me. I wonder if a subscription would cost extra. If that were the case then we'd have to weigh it against just paying the extra on ebay to get exactly what we're looking for.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2010, 06:56:10 AM »

I’m not a big Star Trek fan and just spent a minute scanning Wikipedia in order to understand the significance of 1701  ;D
(That seemed like a weird production number)

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2010, 07:29:41 AM »
In addition? That sounds great to me. I wonder if a subscription would cost extra. If that were the case then we'd have to weigh it against just paying the extra on ebay to get exactly what we're looking for.

I would hope not, because that would defeat the purpose. Then like you say why not just go to ebay... Although would Topps bother to maintain a subscription list without compensation for the extra time and labor involved? Probably not.

Maybe charging $1 extra per subscriber would help recoup the cost? I would pay the $1 to guarantee not getting shut out. Hmm... this is sounding like "Wacky Postcard insurance"...  :-\

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2010, 09:44:31 AM »
Not including all the bio cards in a LE set pretty much ensured that I am no longer going to try and collect these, unfortunately. I'm not sure why Topps went from all to one here. Why not include two or three in each LE set?

Also I think not having the regular post cards available for the public on their site seemed strange. I do think they are running the risk of alienating collectors with these.

And did anyone else notice the bonus card for the Halloween set is selling for much less than last time? I bought one for $35 when I missed out on the LE sets just to have one and I'm seeing them for $8 on eBay. I noticed the same thing happened for TS9 but not as drastic. Seems like the sketch (and now bio) mania may be killing the rest of the cards?

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2010, 09:48:56 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I have two extra sets of the postcards.  Mind you, it's just
the basic set plus the wrapper and the Mr. Ghoulbar card
that came with it, no bios or sketches.  I was lucky enough
to get an order in on that day, and wanted to get enough
to get most of the bio cards.

If someone really missed out, send me a pm and I'll see about
sending it over to you. 

I just have the two, so I'll go by when I get the pm's.  I can't
see any other way to try and be impartial, and for those who
know me, I just want to be able to help some of you out.

Please, all I ask is that you don't already have a set and are going
to keep it for your own enjoyment. 

Thanks,
Zen

wackyone

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2010, 09:59:03 AM »
And did anyone else notice the bonus card for the Halloween set is selling for much less than last time? I bought one for $35 when I missed out on the LE sets just to have one and I'm seeing them for $8 on eBay. I noticed the same thing happened for TS9 but not as drastic. Seems like the sketch (and now bio) mania may be killing the rest of the cards?

ya i saw that too,,,pisses ya off after spending that much i'm sure
the Philly card is only limited to 300 and 500 of this TS10,but still ya i'm shocked they sell for so cheap

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2010, 10:04:32 AM »
Not including all the bio cards in a LE set pretty much ensured that I am no longer going to try and collect these, unfortunately. I'm not sure why Topps went from all to one here. Why not include two or three in each LE set?

Also I think not having the regular post cards available for the public on their site seemed strange. I do think they are running the risk of alienating collectors with these.

I think Neil said Topps was going to skip bio cards entirely, and that he got them to do the one per set as a sort of compromise.  Maybe the cost of the extra postcard had something to do with it?

I did notice that the Mr. Ghoulbar was much less than $35, but I thought that was from the outset (weren't people here asking $10?), and it seemed reasonable since there are 500 of them out there, instead of 300 of the TS9.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2010, 10:30:07 AM »

You have to consider the fact that there were 500 sets produced this time around, as opposed to 300 for series 6.  That certainly helps explain why the TS9 is selling lower. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2010, 03:49:05 PM »

I think people might me missing the fact that this was a special edition and not part of the postcard series as there will be a PC7 after the new year. It's just a seasonal item and that is why they probably didn't make a standard non-LE set. I don't know about the future of bios but I think we all know Neils life history now :-*

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
I think people might me missing the fact that this was a special edition and not part of the postcard series as there will be a PC7 after the new year. It's just a seasonal item and that is why they probably didn't make a standard non-LE set. I don't know about the future of bios but I think we all know Neils life history now :-*

My guess is that Neil goes back to the regular set of bio-cards per set, or at least make it easier to get all of them.  I just finished collecting an extra bio-set that I'm going to list on eBay with all of the series bio-cards, like a complete set.  I thought it would be neat to sell a set that way.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2010, 05:43:33 PM »
My guess is that Neil goes back to the regular set of bio-cards per set, or at least make it easier to get all of them.  I just finished collecting an extra bio-set that I'm going to list on eBay with all of the series bio-cards, like a complete set.  I thought it would be neat to sell a set that way.

One guys been trying to sell the Halloween bio set for $300 for couple weeks now with no bites. Jeffcaff has a set for $200. I see someone sold series 4,5,6. Bio sets as a 16 card auction for $27. Hard to tell what that would go for. The problem is that some people only need on set and not all three or they may need just one of the Halloween cards to finish a set.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 05:50:05 PM by BumChex »

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2010, 06:06:40 PM »
One guys been trying to sell the Halloween bio set for $300 for couple weeks now with no bites. Jeffcaff has a set for $200. I see someone sold series 4,5,6. Bio sets as a 16 card auction for $27. Hard to tell what that would go for. The problem is that some people only need on set and not all three or they may need just one of the Halloween cards to finish a set.
I was going to hold out and pick up the bio set singles in a few months when the bottom falls out on prices but I ended up working a very fair trade to get a set so I am happy.  I still don't understand panic buy mentality in this hobby.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2010, 06:26:29 PM »
I was going to hold out and pick up the bio set singles in a few months when the bottom falls out on prices but I ended up working a very fair trade to get a set so I am happy.  I still don't understand panic buy mentality in this hobby.

For me it's getting what I want now instead of having to wait and see if they ever show up again. Especially for these limited runs. Look at the plates from FB2. There has only been like one show up in the last year. Also look at the golds from FB2. A couple collectors only need one or 2 cards but they haven't shown up. I know that Leslie paid around $400 for one of those at the time and everyone thought that was crazy. That's a steal for the 2 guys that need that card to complete the set. Just a couple examples.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2010, 07:52:54 PM »
don't know about the future of bios but I think we all know Neils life history now :-*
LOL!!!
Maybe the bio cards should be updated with each release like blogs. Neil Camera bio card #3: Been catching up on some yardwork. Also took the cat to get neutered.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2010, 09:04:58 PM »
For me it's getting what I want now instead of having to wait and see if they ever show up again. Especially for these limited runs. Look at the plates from FB2. There has only been like one show up in the last year. Also look at the golds from FB2. A couple collectors only need one or 2 cards but they haven't shown up. I know that Leslie paid around $400 for one of those at the time and everyone thought that was crazy. That's a steal for the 2 guys that need that card to complete the set. Just a couple examples.
Golds and plates?  Come one, give me something that at least is pretty to view and actually has something to do with a gag or cool art or something of that nature in which there are quantities produced.  Bonus cards, Bio sets, various sketches ALL drop in price after the initial round of "gotta have it now, oh my gosh panic buyers" are done.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2010, 04:57:27 AM »
Golds and plates?  Come one, give me something that at least is pretty to view and actually has something to do with a gag or cool art or something of that nature in which there are quantities produced.  Bonus cards, Bio sets, various sketches ALL drop in price after the initial round of "gotta have it now, oh my gosh panic buyers" are done.

Do you see any PC4 or 5 sketches on Ebay now?

Offline Kook

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2010, 05:28:55 AM »

This "grab it while it's here" process is a lot like advertising in business. The quote goes like this "I waste half my advertising budget every year. The problem is I never know which half." That's the same circumstance with these wacky items. Some of these "limited" items show up a few months after the rush dirt cheap. Some don't show up at all, or at a higher price. The problem is that you don't always know which will be which...

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2010, 06:41:01 AM »
This "grab it while it's here" process is a lot like advertising in business. The quote goes like this "I waste half my advertising budget every year. The problem is I never know which half." That's the same circumstance with these wacky items. Some of these "limited" items show up a few months after the rush dirt cheap. Some don't show up at all, or at a higher price. The problem is that you don't always know which will be which...

That's why I feel strongly about keeping the postcards a genuine limited edition. Up to this point, we've kept the production run in the hundreds. Too often, you find that companies put that tag on their products, and then turn out thousands of peices.

wackyone

« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2010, 06:56:42 AM »
I think that because the bulk of serious people are here on this forum,,and maybe a few from Greg's,,if there is any still over there,,have all about by now signed up to your waiting list,so you must have a average number now of what to expect.That amount should be reserved to you to distribute to us as a limited run,then sell what's left on the Topps site,if there's only a couple hundred then so be it,,we come 1st!

The people that you know of that have been exploiting them on e-bay,in the form of selling muliple sealed sets or other poor behavior should be pulled from your list if their are even on it,,which i dout any are but at least you'll have some control.

I'm sure Topps won't let you try this but after all it's your baby and they sure as hell can't look after it.

Offline Playskull

« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2010, 04:14:32 PM »
I don't consider myself a "completist" with the postcard sets.  With almost every LE set, I've been perfectly content having just one keeper set/sketch.  But with this latest Halloween set, I just felt the need to have every bio card.  I think its because they look like regular Wackys.  For me, not owning each of them would be like not having the Mr. Ghoulbar bonus card.  Put another way, this series had eight "bonus cards," not one.  But you could only get two of them at a time, with one of them being a common (Ghoulbar).  It has been an expensive and frustrating process trying to collect them all.  I really hope they do ALL or NONE with the bio cards the next time around. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:17:23 PM by Playskull »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2010, 09:28:24 PM »
There were piles of them a few weeks ago when John P(forgetting his last name) decided to bail on collecting them and nobody bid on his auctions for weeks on end.  Then he decided to pull them all so I assume a sketch hoarder decided to buy them all or he decided to keep them.  They certainly didn't move much.  What exactly is your point?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2010, 09:30:27 PM »
That's why I feel strongly about keeping the postcards a genuine limited edition. Up to this point, we've kept the production run in the hundreds. Too often, you find that companies put that tag on their products, and then turn out thousands of peices.

I agree that these sets should stay the course.  Anything that sells out immediately is doing something right and there will always be folks who are unhappy whether a product is too short printed or overprinted(hence what they buy has no future value).

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2010, 06:04:59 AM »
There were piles of them a few weeks ago when John P(forgetting his last name) decided to bail on collecting them and nobody bid on his auctions for weeks on end.  Then he decided to pull them all so I assume a sketch hoarder decided to buy them all or he decided to keep them.  They certainly didn't move much.  What exactly is your point?

He didn't sell them because he wanted too much for them. I made him very reasonable offers and he refused. My point is they will rarely show up after the initial release. This goes especially for the highly desired ones.

Offline Kook

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2010, 06:07:21 AM »

I think Brad's point is that the supply is very limited, and if you want one, you need to act when the opportunity arises (at a price you feel comfortable with). I saw that handful of sketch auctions also. That was 1 person selling a limited amount of sketches. The problem with those auctions was the price was too high. Those sketches were mostly worth between $75 and maybe $150 or possibly a little more at auction, but they were all $250 buy it nows. Most people that will spend that kind of money on a standard sketch (no color, no combo etc...) would have done it when they came out but those numbers were even high for then. I would have bought 2 of the sketches at $100, maybe at $125 ea, but $250 ea was too much for me.

He might have gotton closer to that too if the sketches were auctions with reasonable starting bids. I see that people are always willing to spend a bit more if they feel someone else thinks it's a good price also and they're right on your heels. That is risky too because past auctions would indicate a much lower number. To pull the trigger at an extremely high number (untested by auction) for a standard sketch is very unlikely even for these items, although not impossible.

One recent example comes to mind:
A 7pup 4th series sketch recently (within a couple of months) sold for $160 or so at auction. Those were selling in the $40 to $100 range when they came out. This most likely would not have sold at a $250 buy it now auction, but $160 is still a nice price for that sketch.