Author Topic: I Love the ANS 7 Cereal Boxes  (Read 7710 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

I Love the ANS 7 Cereal Boxes
« on: November 05, 2010, 06:11:42 PM »
Admittedly I'm tough to excite when it comes to new wackys, but I have to admit that these cereal box trays are really cool. It's a combination of two factors:

1. The vintage cereal box wackys packaging

2. The format is reminiscent of what Topps did with sports cello packs from 1970 - 1972, a period near and dear to me. Cello packs during these years came in an individual cardboard box with the cello pack inside:

Really, it's the first ANS item that has really grabbed me without my having to "try to get excited." Kudos to Topps!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 06:22:22 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
Re: I Love the ANS 7 Cereal Boxes
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 08:52:33 PM »
I agree they are great! I would love to see more
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 09:22:15 PM »
Admittedly I'm tough to excite when it comes to new wackys, but I have to admit that these cereal box trays are really cool. It's a combination of two factors:

2. The format is reminiscent of what Topps did with sports cello packs from 1970 - 1972, a period near and dear to me. Cello packs during these years came in an individual cardboard box with the cello pack inside:

(Image removed from quote.)

Really, it's the first ANS item that has really grabbed me without my having to "try to get excited." Kudos to Topps!
I love them too.  I had no idea 1972 baseball cards were sold that way, I didn't get into cards heavily until 1975 when my wacky pack collecting fell by the wayside!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 09:51:20 PM »
I didn't get into cards heavily until 1975 when my wacky pack collecting fell by the wayside!

I love the cereal boxes also. I'm not sure what you mean by this. Does this mean you didn't start collecting sports cards until 1975?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 10:08:34 PM »
I love the cereal boxes also. I'm not sure what you mean by this. Does this mean you didn't start collecting sports cards until 1975?
Yup
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 10:20:33 PM »
Yup

What ever happened to your sports cards? I sold all of mine back in 1979 to a friend for $75. It was real money at the time and now I totally regret it. Ironically there were 1979 wacky reissues in the lot along with a shit load of non-sport cards that I was unaware of at the time. I later found out he kept them. I was able to get the non-sport cards from him in a trade for a Terrell Davis rookie card but my baseball and football cards were not the case.
To make a long story short....when I got those wacky's from him I started collecting the original series again. This was around 2003. Then I found out there was an ANS1 series and found Greg's site. The rest is history.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
What ever happened to your sports cards? I sold all of mine back in 1979 to a friend for $75. It was real money at the time and now I totally regret it. Ironically there were 1979 wacky reissues in the lot along with a shit load of non-sport cards that I was unaware of at the time. I later found out he kept them. I was able to get the non-sport cards from him in a trade for a Terrell Davis rookie card but my baseball and football cards were not the case.
To make a long story short....when I got those wacky's from him I started collecting the original series again. This was around 2003. Then I found out there was an ANS1 series and found Greg's site. The rest is history.
I have ALL of my sports cards in a closet piled from floor to ceiling.  None are minty mint, many are dog earred as we flipped cards regularly.  I collected baseball cards until early 1980's.  I have like every variation in that ridiculous first Fleer set, imprinted hands and all.  I didn't collect much with other sports but I believe I have some early series stadium club football hockey.  I sold all my wackys to Andrew Relkin, it was a pile of extras, I believe my keeper wackys were lost in one of the mid 1970s hurricanes that also claimed my football cards so my football card collecting ended there.  I then regretted selling my wackys to Relkin and took the money to buy a massive collection of wackys from a guy in Michigan who wanted to sell his wackys to buy slot cars.  I got almost a complete run series 1 through 15 for $200.  It started my addiction to buying collections in the old Prodigy days.....and now here we are!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 04:23:36 AM »

I think the cereal trays are cool!  I left one set sealed up, to look like a real cereal sampler from the supermarket, and I have a couple of the individual boxes out in my living room.  Still cannot understand why they changed the Cap'n Crud text, but it's so great to have that one!

I remember preferring cello packs of baseball cards because I could pick and choose to get specific players.  But, I don't recall seeing them in cardboard boxes - that's a cool item!  I'd have liked those for sure, since the box would hold the cards safely.  I probably wasn't buying baseball cards that early.  The hanging cello packs that had three sections were my favorite, as I could tell 6 cards.  Playworld used to have a full endcap of those, and I'd stand there going through them all to pick the two or three packs I thought were best.  Don't think I have anything valuable, I was just looking for players from favorite teams.  In the 90's I started going after Nolan Ryan cards, but I haven't bought any sports cards in years now.

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 07:03:50 AM »
I have ALL of my sports cards in a closet piled from floor to ceiling.  None are minty mint, many are dog earred as we flipped cards regularly.  I collected baseball cards until early 1980's.  I have like every variation in that ridiculous first Fleer set, imprinted hands and all.  I didn't collect much with other sports but I believe I have some early series stadium club football hockey.  I sold all my wackys to Andrew Relkin, it was a pile of extras, I believe my keeper wackys were lost in one of the mid 1970s hurricanes that also claimed my football cards so my football card collecting ended there.  I then regretted selling my wackys to Relkin and took the money to buy a massive collection of wackys from a guy in Michigan who wanted to sell his wackys to buy slot cars.  I got almost a complete run series 1 through 15 for $200.  It started my addiction to buying collections in the old Prodigy days.....and now here we are!

It was probably Hurricane Belle in 1976.  I vividly remember that one really slammed the East Coast, the NYC area in particular. 

I was also an active baseball card collector from 1976 to about 1987.  Unfortunately like you, most of my cards were prime flipping material so, other than sentimental value, are pretty worthless now.  I was fortunate enough to pick up a 1976 mint Topps baseball set a long while ago for about $40 which is worth a decent amount more now, but all my other mint sets (1981 to 1987 Topps and Fleer) are fairly worthless as I've since learned there were literally tens of millions of these sets printed.

My few valuable sports cards are from 1980s OPC hockey sets with Gretzky and Lemieux rookie cards.  I also have a 1986 Fleer basketball rookie Jordan card that's a PSA 8, which is probably the gem of my collection.

And my originally collected Wackys from the 1970s - well, they were all put to good use as I "stuck 'em anyplace".

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 07:56:54 AM »
The hanging cello packs that had three sections were my favorite, as I could tell 6 cards.  Playworld used to have a full endcap of those, and I'd stand there going through them all to pick the two or three packs I thought were best.  Don't think I have anything valuable, I was just looking for players from favorite teams.  

Yeah, I bought rack packs heavily from 1975 on. They were made from the late '60's on, but I don't believe they were well distributed until 1975, as I was buying heavily in 1974 but don't remember ever seeing one.

Here's a nice 1975 rack on ebay now...only $15,000! Cross post to the "Nuts" thread?

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 08:19:33 AM »
Yeah, I bought rack packs heavily from 1975 on. They were made from the late '60's on, but I don't believe they were well distributed until 1975, as I was buying heavily in 1974 but don't remember ever seeing one.

Here's a nice 1975 rack on ebay now...only $15,000! Cross post to the "Nuts" thread?

Those '75 cards hold a warm spot in my heart. I completed the mini set, which might have been the first series I was able to complete, and I had most of the regular set. Somewhere, I still have a letter from Topps in response to my letter wondering why there were two sizes of cards. As I recall, they said that the mini set was a test set; and that I happened to live in an area (Michigan) that had both sets available.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 08:33:58 AM »
Those '75 cards hold a warm spot in my heart. I completed the mini set, which might have been the first series I was able to complete, and I had most of the regular set. Somewhere, I still have a letter from Topps in response to my letter wondering why there were two sizes of cards. As I recall, they said that the mini set was a test set; and that I happened to live in an area (Michigan) that had both sets available.
I heard they made them smaller because of a paper shortage in the mid 70's. Interesting.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 08:56:05 AM »

WOW!!  :o

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 10:03:27 AM »
I heard they made them smaller because of a paper shortage in the mid 70's. Interesting.

I think that's probably an urban myth, as Topps printed both a regular sized and mini set.  I'm not sure how successful the mini set was, but it wasn't until about a decade later when they started up mini sets again.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 04:49:10 PM »
It was probably Hurricane Belle in 1976.  I vividly remember that one really slammed the East Coast, the NYC area in particular. 

I was also an active baseball card collector from 1976 to about 1987.  Unfortunately like you, most of my cards were prime flipping material so, other than sentimental value, are pretty worthless now.  I was fortunate enough to pick up a 1976 mint Topps baseball set a long while ago for about $40 which is worth a decent amount more now, but all my other mint sets (1981 to 1987 Topps and Fleer) are fairly worthless as I've since learned there were literally tens of millions of these sets printed.

My few valuable sports cards are from 1980s OPC hockey sets with Gretzky and Lemieux rookie cards.  I also have a 1986 Fleer basketball rookie Jordan card that's a PSA 8, which is probably the gem of my collection.

And my originally collected Wackys from the 1970s - well, they were all put to good use as I "stuck 'em anyplace".

That could be the hurricane, i just remember literally 3 feet of water in our streets and people with rowboats.  Our basement was trashed and my cards with in a bag on a shelf but the water level reached the shelf!  One of my favorite cards is the Bump Wills Blue Jays card as it was my first exposure to an error card.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 04:51:18 PM »
You and me both, 1975 was my first major baseball collecting year.  My neighbor came back from his Aunt's(Virginia?) and had two minis.  We couldnt' for the life of us figure out what they were!  Never saw minis again until years later.  I bought an uncut sheet of 1975 cards which represents a piece of that set. 

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 05:44:05 PM »
You and me both, 1975 was my first major baseball collecting year.  My neighbor came back from his Aunt's(Virginia?) and had two minis.  We couldnt' for the life of us figure out what they were!  Never saw minis again until years later.  I bought an uncut sheet of 1975 cards which represents a piece of that set. 

I guess no one I knew was able to figure out what they were, either. Hence my letter to Topps - apparently, I just had to know what the deal was! If it was now, I could have just looked on the interwebs and found out.

I bet that uncut sheet looks pretty cool.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 09:40:11 PM »
I guess no one I knew was able to figure out what they were, either. Hence my letter to Topps - apparently, I just had to know what the deal was! If it was now, I could have just looked on the interwebs and found out.

I bet that uncut sheet looks pretty cool.
I got the 1975 sheet on ebay for like $125.  I will try to remember to post a scan.  Some major all stars on it.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 06:00:34 AM »
I agree 100%!  Well, at least I agree that the cereal boxes are very cool (I've been excited about other ANS stuff as well, however).  I would love to see more cereal boxes in future ANS releases.  I'm not sure how many cereal boxes are left to use but if Topps would milk that format for a couple more series, I'd be happy.  Not sure if there are other products that would work as well as cereal, but I think it'd be great for Topps to try.  I know sports cards have come in tin cans before and I would love to see a Chef Girl-Ar-Dee tin holding 20 or so stickers.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 08:37:10 PM »

Definitely one of the coolest items to come from Topps in the modern era! 

I was fortunate enough to find these in the wild when I went on my first "wild excursion" for ans7....at walmart of all places!

The one thing that would have made them too cool for school would have been to use the snatch-a-pak threesome for one of them....maybe they'll do that for ans8!

Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 09:27:46 AM »

Definitely one of the coolest items to come from Topps in the modern era! 

I was fortunate enough to find these in the wild when I went on my first "wild excursion" for ans7....at walmart of all places!

The one thing that would have made them too cool for school would have been to use the snatch-a-pak threesome for one of them....maybe they'll do that for ans8!

I would like to see Super Cigar Crisp as well!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »
That's always been one of my "unsung" favorites from os6....love it!

I would like to see Super Cigar Crisp as well!
Send me your borderless wackys!