Author Topic: Bad form on Ebay?  (Read 4132 times)

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
Bad form on Ebay?
« on: November 05, 2010, 02:04:44 PM »
Don't know if anyone's ever dealt with a guy named "michaelsfossils2009" on ebay, but he withdrew a bid for $77.77 on my Halloween postcard sketch auction and claimed he "entered the wrong amount" as the reason.  Meanwhile, it took him a day to realize the amount he entered was "wrong"?  Really?  I'm both highly skeptical and irritated by this type of protocol. 

I guess there's no recourse huh, sort of like a person not paying after winning an auction.  Except in this case I can't leave bad feedback!!

Offline Plan 9

Re: Bad form on Ebay?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 02:53:14 PM »
I had a guy cancel his bid on me last week. No explanation. It bothered me but I realized it shouldn't make any difference. If he didn't want it then I shouldn't want to force it on him. Especially when there's so many other buyer out there.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 02:57:25 PM »
Don't know if anyone's ever dealt with a guy named "michaelsfossils2009" on ebay, but he withdrew a bid for $77.77 on my Halloween postcard sketch auction and claimed he "entered the wrong amount" as the reason.  Meanwhile, it took him a day to realize the amount he entered was "wrong"?  Really?  I'm both highly skeptical and irritated by this type of protocol. 

I guess there's no recourse huh, sort of like a person not paying after winning an auction.  Except in this case I can't leave bad feedback!!

I had an opposite experience with him recently.  He bought one of my sketches on ebay, and after exchanging a few emails with him I ended-up selling him another item for $75.00.  Instead of sending him a paypal invoice I accidentally sent him a payment, so I was paying him to buy my card.  The ebay card was already mailed and he could have kept the money, but he did the right thing and refunded me the money plus the payment for the other item. 

He seemed like a good guy to me, but I'm sorry to hear he cancelled a bid.  It may have been indirectly because of my auction.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 05:32:33 PM »

Hmm...He's currently the high bidder on my Halloween postacard set/pack I have on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370452014510&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

I have no reason to think he won't honor his bid if he wins, but your post makes me a bit nervous.

Offline Feetena

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 06:08:58 PM »
I had an opposite experience with him recently.  He bought one of my sketches on ebay, and after exchanging a few emails with him I ended-up selling him another item for $75.00.  Instead of sending him a paypal invoice I accidentally sent him a payment, so I was paying him to buy my card.  The ebay card was already mailed and he could have kept the money, but he did the right thing and refunded me the money plus the payment for the other item. 

He seemed like a good guy to me, but I'm sorry to hear he cancelled a bid.  It may have been indirectly because of my auction.

Thanks Rob, I appreciate that but it's certainly not your fault.  I sorta suspect he probably canceled because he found a better offer/sketch but that's the way the cookie crumbles.  It's weird, I've had at least a few hundred successful auction sales (almost entirely non-Wacky items) and this is the first time someone's ever canceled a bid on me.  On a couple of occasions I've had people not pay, but never a cancellation.

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 12:30:59 PM »

He won a halloween postcard set I had on ebay and he paid very fast, no problems with him. Is withdrawing a bid considered bad behavior? I'm just wondering as I have never ran into it before.

Offline wackygarbage

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 01:06:52 PM »
This is Michael (michaelsfossils2009). 

I would like to respond to the allegations made by Feetena that I purposely canceled my bid just to get out of buying the item from him/her or found another one for less elsewhere.  I only canceled my bid because I entered the wrong amount, probably entered at 3 or 4 a.m. when I was half asleep.  I don't have the item number so I cannot be certain of the time the wrong bid was entered.  I meant to enter $66.66, but must have hit the 7 key and pulled that from the drop-down list by accident.  As soon as I noticed my mistake I canceled the bid.

This is NOT the norm for me!  I always pay for any item I bid on and win, usually within minutes or hours of the auction ending.  Ask anyone I have dealt with on eBay about my purchases and they will all say the same thing...

"A++, they all say.  They love me on eBay!" -Weird Al "The eBay Song"

I don't know what this person's problem was, but they need to get over it and grow up!

Thank you for your time,

Michael

Offline Feetena

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 01:26:36 PM »
This is Michael (michaelsfossils2009). 

I would like to respond to the allegations made by Feetena that I purposely canceled my bid just to get out of buying the item from him/her or found another one for less elsewhere.  I only canceled my bid because I entered the wrong amount, probably entered at 3 or 4 a.m. when I was half asleep.  I don't have the item number so I cannot be certain of the time the wrong bid was entered.  I meant to enter $66.66, but must have hit the 7 key and pulled that from the drop-down list by accident.  As soon as I noticed my mistake I canceled the bid.

This is NOT the norm for me!  I always pay for any item I bid on and win, usually within minutes or hours of the auction ending.  Ask anyone I have dealt with on eBay about my purchases and they will all say the same thing...

"A++, they all say.  They love me on eBay!" -Weird Al "The eBay Song"

I don't know what this person's problem was, but they need to get over it and grow up!

Thank you for your time,

Michael

Ok ok ok Michae... No problem!  It looked suspicious to me originally because of the time that had elapsed between when you put the bid in and when you retracted it, that's all.  I understand now and apologize for anything wrongful I insinuated about your character.  I'm over it and grown up now.

Just one question, why didn't you just re enter the bid the $66.66 after you canceled the $77.77 bid?

Offline wackygarbage

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 01:50:51 PM »
Hi Feetena,

I thought I had re-entered the bid of $66.66 later on.  If not, I apologize for that.  Just understand that I was not just trying to get out of buying the sketch card from you, as I still need it!  I made an honest mistake and, I guess, did not enter my new bid on the item.

Michael

P.S. - I'm grown up now too!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 02:26:57 PM »
I've done this before. It's not really that big of a deal. I know it sucks when you are the seller but sometimes things happen and you may have found a better deal or lost too much in poker the nite before ;)

Offline Feetena

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 02:38:17 PM »
Yep, very true.  It was an honest mistake and everything's cool. 

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 02:38:31 PM »
I've done this before. It's not really that big of a deal. I know it sucks when you are the seller but sometimes things happen and you may have found a better deal or lost too much in poker the nite before ;)
Texas Hold'em I would rather watch paint dry!!
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL