Author Topic: Godaddy Hosting Notice  (Read 10302 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Godaddy Hosting Notice
« on: October 26, 2010, 01:15:17 PM »
I don't know what to make of this message I just got from GoDaddy because everything seems to be working fine. Anyone know?

HOSTING ACCOUNT UPDATE

Dear Brad Kaufman,

As part of a continuing effort to provide the highest quality
service for our valued customers, your hosting account has
been migrated to a new server that will provide you with
increased performance and reliability.

Please note that it can take up to 24 hours from the time the
update was completed for any newly-published content to be
visible on your Web site.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: Godaddy Hosting Notice
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 01:26:11 PM »
I don't know what to make of this message I just got from GoDaddy because everything seems to be working fine. Anyone know?

HOSTING ACCOUNT UPDATE

Dear Brad Kaufman,

Brad, Just looks like an informational message letting you know of the change.
Doesn't look like any action or reply is necessary. It's kinda nice they even
notified you... at least if things start going downhill, you have an idea what
might have caused it. In the nasty world of IT, this was a rare nicety.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Kook

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 01:29:03 PM »

HOSTING ACCOUNT UPDATE

Dear Brad Kaufman,

Sounds like they moved (or are moving) the website. I have noticed that I've been getting the timeout message on almost all pm or thread posts today. May be due to this.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 01:30:59 PM »
Brad, Just looks like an informational message letting you know of the change.
Doesn't look like any action or reply is necessary. It's kinda nice they even
notified you... at least if things start going downhill, you have an idea what
might have caused it. In the nasty world of IT, this was a rare nicety.

What throws me is it could take 24 hours if anything has been updated to the site. They also changed my IP address and shows that my domain has been updated to reflect this new IP address. I don't have any non-primary hosting domains so I hope this isn't an issue.
I just wish this was seamless and not have me worried :]

The other issue is I'm taking off tomorrow and won't be by my computer if I need to FTP any files. I will have my crappy work Dell and my iPad so I can get into admin but I won't be able to upload and this could be an issue if the forum can't see the right address. There is a file I need to upload so I can manually change setting if something needs major changes.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 01:34:18 PM by BumChex »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 01:50:07 PM »
Actually I forgot I have an iPad app that let's me run my Mac desktop from anywhere. I can admin anything from afar!

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 01:56:17 PM »
What throws me is it could take 24 hours if anything has been updated to the site. They also changed my IP address and shows that my domain has been updated to reflect this new IP address. I don't have any non-primary hosting domains so I hope this isn't an issue.
I just wish this was seamless and not have me worried :]

The other issue is I'm taking off tomorrow and won't be by my computer if I need to FTP any files. I will have my crappy work Dell and my iPad so I can get into admin but I won't be able to upload and this could be an issue if the forum can't see the right address. There is a file I need to upload so I can manually change setting if something needs major changes.

I think the 24 hour thing is just a cover-their-butt statement in case anything goes wrong. A change like this is almost instantaneous these day. By the way, how should I interpret the sentence "...my crappy work Dell and my iPad ...". Should that be read as "...my crappy work Dell and my crappy work iPad ..." or as "...my crappy work Dell and my terrific, wonderful, shiny  iPad ..."? ;)     I just ordered one a few days ago and am hoping it arrives before the weekend.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 02:01:37 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 02:04:15 PM »

I think the 24 hour thing is just a cover-their-butt statement in case anything goes wrong. A change like this is almost instantaneous these day. By the way, how should I interpret the sentence "...my crappy work Dell and my iPad ...". Should that be read as "...my crappy work Dell and my crappy work iPad ..." or as "...my crappy work Dell and my terrific, wonderful, shiny  iPad ..."? ;)     I just ordered one a few days ago and am hoping it arrives before the weekend.

No, It would be the terrific, wonderful, shiny iPad! You saw my previous message that I have an app that will let me view my Mac from anywhere that has Wi-Fi. No subscription either!

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 02:06:34 PM »
No, It would be the terrific, wonderful, shiny iPad! You saw my previous message that I have an app that will let me view my Mac from anywhere that has Wi-Fi. No subscription either!

Thats sweet. We used to be able to use apps like PCAnyWhere from home to remote our PCs at work (or vice versa) until they tightened the firewall.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »
Thats sweet. We used to be able to use apps like PCAnyWhere from home to remote our PCs at work (or vice versa) until they tightened the firewall.

Here you go

https://secure.logmein.com/US/welcome/iphone/?wt.ac=1-1

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 02:37:02 PM »
I'm noticing the site is extremely slow today, and I also got some timeouts sending PMs. Hopefully that won't last too much longer.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 02:54:38 PM »
I'm noticing the site is extremely slow today, and I also got some timeouts sending PMs. Hopefully that won't last too much longer.

I don't know. It's flying for me.

Offline MountainGoo

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »

HOSTING ACCOUNT UPDATE

Dear Brad Kaufman,

...means your website is being migrated to a new computer web server....basically means your website should be faster and have less problems.  GoDaddy is considered an excellent web hoster.
Run To The Hills...Run For Your Life

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 05:10:13 PM »
No, It would be the terrific, wonderful, shiny iPad!
I ask some store employees about the Kindle and they tell me to buy an iPad...“Why would you purchase a 1 function item?” they ask me.
I tell them, “I don't want a browser” . . . please!

I made a commitment to myself about 2 years ago not to purchase a Blackberry, iPhone, or any other pocket sized browser, and so far I’ve stuck to my guns. When I look into some people’s eyes, I can see the browsers inside their head that occupy a significant portion their brain. I suspect pocket sized browser’s are a lifelong relationship, much more so than marriage. I doubt anyone who owns an iPhone today will not own one in 20 years. I’m determined not to.

I’ve developed a theory that every browser you own decreases your attention span and IQ by 50%.
One browser is plenty for me.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 06:06:28 PM »
I ask some store employees about the Kindle and they tell me to buy an iPad...“Why would you purchase a 1 function item?” they ask me.
I tell them, “I don't want a browser” . . . please!

I made a commitment to myself about 2 years ago not to purchase a Blackberry, iPhone, or any other pocket sized browser, and so far I’ve stuck to my guns. When I look into some people’s eyes, I can see the browsers inside their head that occupy a significant portion their brain. I suspect pocket sized browser’s are a lifelong relationship, much more so than marriage. I doubt anyone who owns an iPhone today will not own one in 20 years. I’m determined not to.

I’ve developed a theory that every browser you own decreases your attention span and IQ by 50%.

Well, if you really just want a device for reading books, ya can't beat the Kindle (except with a Sony Reader said the Sony employee). The iPad is nice for books but the Kindle/Nook/Sony Reader do all have a special "paper white" screen that is easier on the eyes for reading long periods of time. Nothing wrong with specialized devices. But the iPads ARE mighty sweet (said the guy expecting receipt of the iPad he ordered for his borthday in a few days).

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 06:20:53 PM »
Well, if you really just want a device for reading books, ya can't beat the Kindle (except with a Sony Reader said the Sony employee). The iPad is nice for books but the Kindle/Nook/Sony Reader do all have a special "paper white" screen that is easier on the eyes for reading long periods of time. 
made me think of that amazon kindle ad I saw last week
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGmRKSds9OY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGmRKSds9OY</a>

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 06:40:04 PM »

I tell my wife that it's her phone, and her business.....BUT......it drives me crazy that she has her face in her iPhone a lot of the time, no matter where we are; doing something on it or when it's sitting down somewhere it beeps, buzzes, bloops, rings, whizzes, chimes or alarms etc. seemingly nonstop 24 hours a day. I call her phone her iFace. My phone is a $10 Virgin Mobile p.o.s. that costs $5 a month and I don't really even use it! I am not that important. The only reason I have it is in case I am upside down in a ditch in my car (again) I can call AAA.  :]

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 08:19:46 PM »
I tell my wife that it's her phone, and her business.....BUT......it drives me crazy that she has her face in her iPhone a lot of the time, no matter where we are; doing something on it or when it's sitting down somewhere it beeps, buzzes, bloops, rings, whizzes, chimes or alarms etc. seemingly nonstop 24 hours a day. I call her phone her iFace. My phone is a $10 Virgin Mobile p.o.s. that costs $5 a month and I don't really even use it! I am not that important. The only reason I have it is in case I am upside down in a ditch in my car (again) I can call AAA.  :]

Seinfeld's "Blackberry People" bit was posted here previously, but I hadn't seen the Conan one before:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYDA7__znfY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYDA7__znfY</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3irf4IAv9U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3irf4IAv9U</a>

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 08:26:11 PM »
And can I just say how PAINFULLY slow this forum is now! OMG it takes like 30 secs to a minute to post or go to different threads. And oh, the timeouts on spell check... Ugh. I hope it really does only last the 24 hrs or whatever... It's killin' me! I've already tried deleting cookes, etc., rebooting...

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 08:50:14 PM »
And can I just say how PAINFULLY slow this forum is now! OMG it takes like 30 secs to a minute to post or go to different threads. And oh, the timeouts on spell check... Ugh. I hope it really does only last the 24 hrs or whatever... It's killin' me! I've already tried deleting cookes, etc., rebooting...
it hasn't been slow at all for me - but I did get a hardcore timeout. It wasn't the usual where you are dumped back to the Post Reply screen with the friendly red message saying "you timed out and the message wasn't posted" and you can just hit "Post" again and all is fine.
No. I got a totally white screen with some small black text "your request timed out. please try again". Except everything is gone and you're dead in the water. Luckily I could still back up a screen and copy all my text for a completely new retry.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 09:15:38 PM »
it hasn't been slow at all for me - but I did get a hardcore timeout. It wasn't the usual where you are dumped back to the Post Reply screen with the friendly red message saying "you timed out and the message wasn't posted" and you can just hit "Post" again and all is fine.
No. I got a totally white screen with some small black text "your request timed out. please try again". Except everything is gone and you're dead in the water. Luckily I could still back up a screen and copy all my text for a completely new retry.

Yep, those are the nasty timeouts I get too. But sometimes when I go back, my text is GONE. So now I am copying any text before I hit post.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 09:40:18 PM »
I haven't noticed any timeouts or delays with reading through topics. The only difference I have noticed tonight is a longer delay in the time from when someone posts a reply in a topic I am following and the time when I receive the email notification of the new message. Seems to be taking between 6 and 10 minutes. Seems like it was about 2 or 3 minutes previously.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 04:24:15 AM »
I haven't noticed any timeouts or delays with reading through topics. The only difference I have noticed tonight is a longer delay in the time from when someone posts a reply in a topic I am following and the time when I receive the email notification of the new message. Seems to be taking between 6 and 10 minutes. Seems like it was about 2 or 3 minutes previously.

I've been getting a lot of timeouts, including the ones where you lose what you typed, and am now copying text before hitting 'post' or 'send'.  Also, I couldn't even access the site earlier this morning.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 05:55:56 AM »
I don't know. It's flying for me.

Just noticed this morning it's taking a while to go from one page to another.  Prior to today it had been very fast with no delays.  I'm guessing it's related to this server change.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 06:13:45 AM »
Just noticed this morning it's taking a while to go from one page to another.  Prior to today it had been very fast with no delays.  I'm guessing it's related to this server change.
but are we now on the new server, and getting poorer service, or is this a transitional effect?

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 08:53:54 AM »
I too am seeing slower response to pages coming up  today.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline MountainGoo

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 10:26:18 AM »
I too am seeing slower response to pages coming up  today.

Me too....so much for faster web server...sort of reminds of the Six Million Dollar man...  We can rebuild him (it---the web server).  We have the technology.  We'll make him (it--the web server)  better, stronger, faster.....lol
Run To The Hills...Run For Your Life

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 03:09:40 PM »
I just got to Boston and happy to see the forum still up. Hopefully the server move will be done soon because speed seems spotty.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2010, 05:12:52 PM »
Currently (5:15pm Pacific) it's faster than it's ever been.  
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys