Author Topic: "Who is going to the Philly Show"  (Read 162397 times)

Offline freetoes

Re: "Who is going to the Philly Show"
« Reply #560 on: April 27, 2012, 04:35:28 PM »
While I didn't witness it, I believe there was a bird and an f.u.

Confirmed.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #561 on: April 27, 2012, 04:43:26 PM »
If Brother Shoe is on here, a belated public thank you for the OS2 box.

This time, I went mainly to pick up some of the new sets I've missed.  I also picked up two very nice common dies from Matt, plus a few Original Series singles.  I'll likely never assemble that pristine 1-16 set, but it's always fun trying.

Thanks also to Dave for the open Series 6 pack.  Nothing brings back the original rush like pulling two cards and a checklist.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #562 on: April 27, 2012, 05:33:23 PM »
While I didn't witness it, I believe there was a bird and an f.u.

Surely they were discussing a gag or concept for a new Wacky title

maybe, Flipping the Bird Eye Peas

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #563 on: April 27, 2012, 05:44:29 PM »

This time, I went mainly to pick up some of the new sets I've missed.  I also picked up two very nice common dies from Matt, plus a few Original Series singles.  I'll likely never assemble that pristine 1-16 set, but it's always fun trying.

Thanks also to Dave for the open Series 6 pack.  Nothing brings back the original rush like pulling two cards and a checklist.

Pristine could be tough but a solid NM might not be that tough. Just takes patience. I don't have patience and way over spent back in 2005 but I did get some very nice sets and took the next 5 years working on upgrading a few titles. It was fun.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #564 on: April 27, 2012, 07:04:30 PM »
Just curious, what did he lie to you about?
I covered this ad nauseum in the past but basically I asked him why greg's website was the only one linked from Topps website and he told me it was because there were no other collector websites.  I told John that was a crock of shit and made sure he was aware of mine, Rustys, Tom's and John Mann's defunct site and probably some others at the time, I don't recall exactly.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #565 on: April 27, 2012, 10:10:43 PM »
Is anyone who made it to the show looking for a good home for their Melty Misfits promo sticker?  I've got lots of Wackys to trade, and other non-sports cards and promos.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #566 on: April 28, 2012, 09:37:22 AM »
Surely they were discussing a gag or concept for a new Wacky title

maybe, Flipping the Bird Eye Peas

Or maybe a Silly CD-type parody called "F*ck U2".

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #567 on: April 28, 2012, 11:41:37 AM »
Is anyone who made it to the show looking for a good home for their Melty Misfits promo sticker?  I've got lots of Wackys to trade, and other non-sports cards and promos.

What is the "Melty Misfits" promo sticker? Wacky-related? Or something else?

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #568 on: April 28, 2012, 12:17:50 PM »
From what I can tell it's Garbage Pail Kids with Ice Cream.   I don't see any Wacky connection.  There are a ton for sale on eBay so just take a look.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #569 on: April 28, 2012, 12:22:41 PM »
From what I can tell it's Garbage Pail Kids with Ice Cream.   I don't see any Wacky connection.  There are a ton for sale on eBay so just take a look.

No, I wasn't asking because of a Wacky connection to the Melty cards, just because these cards were in the promo packs that were included free with show admissions that I though many collectors here might not care about.  Although Wackys are my primary hobby, I do still collect other non-sports cards and promos.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #570 on: April 28, 2012, 12:24:59 PM »
Raw Goo, I was responding to Porkie's posting about what they were.  If anyone interested here is a really good write up.

http://www.vinylpulse.com/2012/04/buff-monsters-melty-misfits-an-amazing-garbage-pail-kids-homage.html

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #571 on: April 28, 2012, 05:57:12 PM »

It was fun to meet just about everyone in the list posted above! I want to give a proper shout-out to Mr. "Shoe" for the unopened box of WP Old School 2 that he gave me on Saturday! That was very generous and much appreciated!

Any time George.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #572 on: April 28, 2012, 05:59:15 PM »

You are welcome John.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #573 on: April 28, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »
Shoe has always been generous giving stuff away.  I got a box from him too.  My box didn't come with a sketch card so I feel a little cheated though.  Haha

LOL Good 1 Rob, Looking forward to the fall show already.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #574 on: April 28, 2012, 06:06:05 PM »
That is too bad Rob, my box had two! Haha. Just kidding, but that Shoe is a heck of a guy eh! Thanks again Mark.

Thank you for the compliment Mark, Glad I could make your day at the show good with the OS 2 box, Hope you can make the fall show as well.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #575 on: April 28, 2012, 06:10:01 PM »
same here - Thx Brother Shoe!! from my daughter as well..she had fun ripping open the packs....got two sets and was ready to sell the second on evilbay....hustlin' just like dad :] :] :] :]

Like Dad, Like Daughter, Huh Joe-LOL. It was great seeing you & her at the show last week, See you in the fall.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #576 on: April 28, 2012, 06:15:21 PM »
I received a box as well. Unexpected & very generous. Thanks Shoe!

You are very welcome Bill, If I can ever be of any help with any card needs you may have on here, Then send me a PM.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #577 on: April 28, 2012, 06:21:51 PM »
The more I hear about this exchange the more I am hearing it was quite ugly and greg fired off some loud profanity.  Can anyone verify?  Seems that would be pretty disruptive behavior towards a Vendor of the show that maybe could have been taken off line eh?  People do want Topps to attend these shows, correct? For the record, I am not a fan of John Williams as he lied to me in the past which caused me to have quite a bit of angst towards Topps too.  I just never decided to show up there to cause an in person confrontation about it.

I did hear the "F" word leave his lips at some guy that came by our trading table near the concession stand.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #578 on: April 28, 2012, 06:34:59 PM »
Greg has clearly been running a business for awhile now, no doubt about it. I also agree that there's nothing wrong with that. Perhaps it's my fault for reading more into the original comment than was intended. The context of the comment made it sound like all Greg ever cared about in the hobby was profit. We all know that isn't true, but I'm sure Brad didn't really mean it that way, so let's forget it.
[/quote

For anyone on here (Including myself) that has been at 1 of Greg's gathering groups in his apartment building over the years can clearly see from the other apt. across the hall from his main one that he stores all of his extra stuff in, He absolutely loves this hobby.

Offline Kook

« Reply #579 on: April 29, 2012, 11:42:50 AM »
I also forgot to mention something exciting (at least for me) that happened at the show.  I was going through Matt's box of series 1 whites looking for 1979 Test pack cards, and I actually found one!  It was a Minute Lice and clearly had the squared off corners.  Unfortunately I didn't need that particular title so I turned it back in to Matt and told him what it was, but it was a cool find anyway. 

It just goes to show that although they are rare and often hard to spot, there are some mixed in with regular ones, you just have to learn what to look for.

Looks like the test sticker is now on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacky-Packages-Topps-1979-TEST-Sticker-Minute-Lice-NO-RESERVE-/221012206483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33755aa393

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #580 on: April 30, 2012, 07:10:02 PM »
If anyone has an extra Ironed Man promo to trade or sell, please PM me.  Thanks!

And thanks much to Dr Popper for a very low/fair offer to sell me the Clubbed promo!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:30:57 PM by crackedjerk »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #581 on: May 01, 2012, 08:28:37 AM »
Looks like the test sticker is now on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacky-Packages-Topps-1979-TEST-Sticker-Minute-Lice-NO-RESERVE-/221012206483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33755aa393

Yup, that's it, although it looks whiter than I remember it.  Maybe the lighting at the show is dim.  It's looks great in that pic.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #582 on: October 09, 2012, 02:22:03 PM »
Well, its only a few days away. Who's going?

I am!

And Yes! I will be Walking into the show!

Offline Buzzooka

« Reply #583 on: October 09, 2012, 02:25:58 PM »

I am!

Few days? The NYCC is this Friday thru Sunday. The Philly show is a week and a few days the 20th and 21st right?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #584 on: October 09, 2012, 03:10:54 PM »

I am!

That's great to hear.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #585 on: October 09, 2012, 05:07:21 PM »

I am!

I'm going for Saturday only

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #586 on: October 09, 2012, 05:28:23 PM »

I am!

I'll be there on the 20th (Sat.)

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #587 on: October 09, 2012, 05:55:20 PM »
I intend to be there on Sat. I may be dragging my brother-in-law along. He's not a Wacky collector (though he did buy reissues when he was a kid), but he's coming for the pittance of sports stuff that shows up. He has baseball cards and the like he collects. I'm going to warn him about the Wacky folks...and our trading and BS session. That may scare him off, but I doubt it!   :o
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 05:57:10 PM by bigtomi »

Offline Soremel

« Reply #588 on: October 10, 2012, 02:32:44 AM »

I'll be there on the 20th (Sat.)

I'll be there both days. I have a table again, but won't know where it's located until I get there Saturday morning. Unfortunately, I have not had the time to finish the Topps-rejected Wacky paintings that I've started (Grosstitos, etc.) but I will have some limited trade bait with me and will be doing some sketches over the course of the weekend. I'll also have everyone's commissioned sketches from the Spring Show with me (Did I just hear hear a collective "It's about time!" LOL!)

My main trading focus will be the 16th series. I have a few pack-fresh nice singles that I would be interested in trading for equal quality specimens. I'm going to try and get a bunch of other Wacky related stuff together, but I can't make any promises as to how much and what due to time limitations with my day job. I usually end up grabbing stuff as I'm racing out the door. Feel free to send me a PM if there are any specific items that you are looking for and I'll let you know if I have it or not.

As with the Spring Show, my two main reasons for getting the table were for shameless self-promotion and a place to talk "Wacky Speak" for two days! Can't wait to see everyone again!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #589 on: October 10, 2012, 03:46:00 AM »
I intend to be there on Sat. I may be dragging my brother-in-law along. He's not a Wacky collector (though he did buy reissues when he was a kid), but he's coming for the pittance of sports stuff that shows up. He has baseball cards and the like he collects. I'm going to warn him about the Wacky folks...and our trading and BS session. That may scare him off, but I doubt it!   :o

He may just have a good time in the stores there!  Plus, he'll be able to pick up entry promo packs.

I'm hoping to be there, just have to be sure my mom's OK that day.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #590 on: October 10, 2012, 08:46:01 AM »
I plan to be there Saturday, probably with Anthony C of the FDNY....I think Kook (Bill F) will be there as well....

Offline Buzzooka

« Reply #591 on: October 10, 2012, 09:08:08 AM »
I am planning on being there Saturday.

Offline Kook

« Reply #592 on: October 10, 2012, 09:19:31 AM »
I plan to be there Saturday, probably with Anthony C of the FDNY....I think Kook (Bill F) will be there as well....

Yes, I'm planning on being there Sat too.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #593 on: October 10, 2012, 12:50:26 PM »
I will be there on Sat.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #594 on: October 10, 2012, 06:46:35 PM »
Can't make it this year and was looking forward to seeing everyone again. 3 things fell exactly on the 20th. My uncle benefit for his family since he has been diagnosed with bad cancer. I will be playing some songs. Earlier in the day there is an outside gig that my band has to play for 45 minutes. Later that night a b day party for one of my neices. If someone can pick me up a goodie Wacky promo bag, I'll gladly pay them for it. LMK, thanks - Jeff
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

anything