Author Topic: "Who is going to the Philly Show"  (Read 163459 times)

Offline HeadAndBoulders

Re: "Who is going to the Philly Show"
« Reply #385 on: October 25, 2011, 10:17:59 PM »
No, it's a promo for the Halloween postcards even though it's not in the set. Don't ask me, I don't make the rules...
thats disappointing since I didnt get one   :sad:

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #386 on: October 26, 2011, 01:14:11 AM »
I am really bummed I missed this show but my sister's marriage ranked as quite a bit higher than this show  :o

Where are all of the notes about the great finds?  Nobody found any luds, $5 grime Heavy's, high series stickers for $1 each, anything?  Are the dealers this wiped out of stuff these days or is nobody looking any more?

I havent got to the best best part of the show yet, The Artists!!  I seemed to have missed placed my camera, and cant get a shot of the sketches i had done. If i cant find it by tomorrow i will borrow one. I really do want people to see these. Just being able to talk to those guys and how down to earth they really are was great, and the best part, They Are Wacky Fans just like us. Talking Wackys with them took up a big chunk of my time.

I did manage to score a $30 Kirscht Halloween 2011 sketch. I bought 3 OLS2 boxes for $45 each, no shipping or tax, that was nice. My wife bought me the ANS 8 binder for Christmas $15. Mike from Topps sold me some other stuff and treated me very very well THANKS MIKE!

I was sitting right there when the "Bubble Boy" puzzle piece was being looked at, i dont know if he commented on it but i know i looked at it for a few seconds hard. Some secrets were told by people who will remain nameless, and my large ears and eyes were able to gain this information. But I'll never tell. You will all know soon enough, I could be bought though.

The pizza sucked. I don't know where my wife got it from but it sucked. There is nothing like NEPA(north east PA) pizza, thin and Old Forge style.

more to come...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #387 on: October 26, 2011, 02:04:39 AM »
Great stuff. I'm surprised Topps let this through. Baby w/chainsaw :)  I can't read the baby's tattoo though.

The tattoo says Ruth less.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #388 on: October 26, 2011, 02:11:49 AM »
I am really bummed I missed this show but my sister's marriage ranked as quite a bit higher than this show  :o

Where are all of the notes about the great finds?  Nobody found any luds, $5 grime Heavy's, high series stickers for $1 each, anything?  Are the dealers this wiped out of stuff these days or is nobody looking any more?

I didn't see any steals like you're mentioning.  $75 Paul Mauls, slabbed yellow poster packs, stickers sorted by series, with the higher series going for more, etc.  One dealer had a nice box of blue poster packs for $350.  I picked up a party pack sticker sheet for $20.

Online Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #389 on: October 26, 2011, 07:03:14 AM »
I didn't see any steals like you're mentioning.  $75 Paul Mauls, slabbed yellow poster packs, stickers sorted by series, with the higher series going for more, etc.  One dealer had a nice box of blue poster packs for $350.  I picked up a party pack sticker sheet for $20.

not a lot of deals - got some Series 2 erasers good price...good price on some die cuts and Series 16 stickers..not a whole lot...I did scour each table though...my daugher got free stuff - so she scored ok...

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #390 on: October 26, 2011, 07:34:10 AM »

Most of my "scores" were on post-2004 items.  I still haven't learned to dig through all of the dealers stuff thorough enough to find those hidden gems.   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Soremel

« Reply #391 on: October 26, 2011, 07:58:57 AM »
I had an awesome time at this show! It's the first show I've been to since 2007 and it was worth the wait. Sharing a table with Fred Wheaton was one of the highlights for me! He is one of the nicest people I have ever met and is ultra-talented! I enjoyed watching him do commissioned sketches and also looking through his art binders ~ great stuff!

The other highlight was being able to reconnect with old Wacky collector friends, as well as meeting some new ones and seeing the faces behind the avatars!

Going out to dinner with Mike Jasperson, Jeff Z. and Fred was the proverbial icing on the cake! (I haven't laughed that hard in a LONG time!)

I'm planning on going to the Spring show (as a collector!) and possibly get to do some trading, buying, chatting, etc. Mega-thanks to all of you that stopped by the table to talk Wacky Packages (Hot Wheels, heavy metal, etc!)

Best,
George

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #392 on: October 26, 2011, 09:24:07 AM »
not a lot of deals - got some Series 2 erasers good price...good price on some die cuts and Series 16 stickers..not a whole lot...I did scour each table though...my daugher got free stuff - so she scored ok...

I don't have kids, but I have to remember to bring one with me when I attend in the future. Just kiddin'. It's great to hear that the artist's were so cool to her and that she is growing up knowing about Wacky's.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Online Hustler08

« Reply #393 on: October 26, 2011, 09:49:39 AM »
I don't have kids, but I have to remember to bring one with me when I attend in the future. Just kiddin'. It's great to hear that the artist's were so cool to her and that she is growing up knowing about Wacky's.

Yes thx..last show she met Jay Lynch and he signed one of Greg's WP Box posters to us both and this show Jeff Z. comp her a sketch...not too bad...she actually collecting,for both of us, the '67 die cuts. She has a VG - Jolly Mean #43 and now a EX++ Jail-O...its a start...some day RATZ...who knows...

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #394 on: October 26, 2011, 10:47:28 AM »
The tattoo says Ruth less.

Brilliant touch.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #395 on: October 26, 2011, 05:20:34 PM »
Yeah, same thing for me.  Got an upgrade on a series 13 sticker I needed (Doomed Matches), but not exactly something that would have made anyone's eyes pop.  Also got a very nice Topps "blockhead" -- but not a ludlow in sight!

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #396 on: October 26, 2011, 08:10:47 PM »

Great to see you Joe & Meli as well, I picked up 3 of the regular Halloween postcard sets, The comic book that Jay did, A complete set of the Ser 2 erasers ($30) and a few loose ser 2 erasers for a member on here.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #397 on: October 26, 2011, 08:12:05 PM »

Great to see you Joe & Meli as well, I picked up 3 of the regular Halloween postcard sets, The comic book that Jay did, A complete set of the Ser 2 erasers ($30) and a few loose ser 2 erasers for a member on here.
What is a regular halloween post card set?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #398 on: October 26, 2011, 08:14:28 PM »
Yeah, same thing for me.  Got an upgrade on a series 13 sticker I needed (Doomed Matches), but not exactly something that would have made anyone's eyes pop.  Also got a very nice Topps "blockhead" -- but not a ludlow in sight!
I really like Doomed Matches.  I think its a cool Wacky.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #399 on: October 26, 2011, 08:52:03 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, George. I thoroughly enjoyed sharing the table with you, meeting the collectors, and even decorating the pumpkins. Let's do it again!

I had an awesome time at this show! It's the first show I've been to since 2007 and it was worth the wait. Sharing a table with Fred Wheaton was one of the highlights for me! He is one of the nicest people I have ever met and is ultra-talented! I enjoyed watching him do commissioned sketches and also looking through his art binders ~ great stuff!

The other highlight was being able to reconnect with old Wacky collector friends, as well as meeting some new ones and seeing the faces behind the avatars!

Going out to dinner with Mike Jasperson, Jeff Z. and Fred was the proverbial icing on the cake! (I haven't laughed that hard in a LONG time!)

I'm planning on going to the Spring show (as a collector!) and possibly get to do some trading, buying, chatting, etc. Mega-thanks to all of you that stopped by the table to talk Wacky Packages (Hot Wheels, heavy metal, etc!)

Best,
George

Offline bandaches

« Reply #400 on: October 26, 2011, 08:54:50 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, George. I thoroughly enjoyed sharing the table with you, meeting the collectors, and even decorating the pumpkins. Let's do it again!

YEah, someone who actually took a picture! 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #401 on: October 26, 2011, 09:02:47 PM »
Jim - Here are my snapshots of the sketches that I drew--they were a lot of fun!

I seemed to have missed placed my camera, and cant get a shot of the sketches i had done.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #402 on: October 26, 2011, 09:08:57 PM »
Jim - Here are my snapshots of the sketches that I drew--they were a lot of fun!

Those are EXCELLENT !!!   :great:
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline bandaches

« Reply #403 on: October 26, 2011, 09:14:34 PM »

I love your style, my keeper ANS7 sketch is one of yours.  Can you send me a PM of how much a commissioned sketch costs?

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #404 on: October 26, 2011, 09:16:57 PM »

Awesome, Fred!!!

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #405 on: October 26, 2011, 09:38:04 PM »
YEah, someone who actually took a picture! 

Cool!
Come on people, there's got to be more members who snapped some cell phone pics?

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #406 on: October 26, 2011, 09:39:58 PM »

Incredibly Spook-tacular!!!

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #407 on: October 26, 2011, 09:46:18 PM »

Wow!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #408 on: October 27, 2011, 02:28:28 AM »
Cool!
Come on people, there's got to be more members who snapped some cell phone pics?

My cellphone is a cheapo, no pics.

Offline chickenfat2010

« Reply #409 on: October 27, 2011, 08:40:21 AM »
Going to the Non-Sport Card show last weekend made me feel exactly like a kid in a candy store (again)! It was so great meeting Fred Wheaton, George Wright and Jeff Zapata and they are all extremely nice guys and as you can imagine very funny. As well as of course amazing artists/creators/present day carriers of the Wacky torch. The highlight for me (easily of the whole year) is a moment when I was having a wacky conversation with Fred, Jeff and George and none other then the great Jay Lynch called up Jeff on his cell phone with a wacky halloween postcard sketch question (something about where do you sign your signature on the return cards or something). Jeff put him on speaker phone! What a great bunch of guys and a phenomenal wacky day. Check out the super cool color sketch Fred did for me (MENTOADS...one of my favorite ANS8 characters). Fred told me he thought of the 1973 Toadal toad as he painted ANS8's MENTOADS. Thanks again! Best Regards, Joe

« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:43:34 AM by chickenfat2010 »

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #410 on: October 27, 2011, 11:03:27 AM »
Going to the Non-Sport Card show last weekend made me feel exactly like a kid in a candy store (again)!

I know the feeling! Great to meet you and talk Wackys.

Online Hustler08

« Reply #411 on: October 27, 2011, 12:30:21 PM »

same hear...didn't even think to do that..too busy talking and scouring for wacky finds...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 12:32:07 PM by Hustler08 »

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #412 on: October 27, 2011, 07:02:15 PM »
What is a regular halloween post card set?

One without the sketch cards in the envelope.

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #413 on: October 27, 2011, 09:28:50 PM »

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #414 on: October 27, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »
George and I are in a couple of snapshots in these Philly Show pages:

http://www.nsu-magazine.com/55th-philly-non-sports-card-show-photo-gallery/

http://www.nsu-magazine.com/philly-non-sports-card-show-wrap-up-report/

[expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-NhT7gbn/0/L/i-NhT7gbn-L.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-r2gnzHw/1/O/i-r2gnzHw.jpg[/expando]

Cool!  More faces to connect to the names.  Thanks Fred!
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #415 on: October 31, 2011, 09:44:39 AM »
Does anyone have an extra Mr. Babble promo card? I did the concept for that one and didn't even get one!

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #416 on: November 03, 2011, 07:50:36 PM »
On Sunday morning of the Philly show, Non-Sport Update held a gathering for the members of their message board. The centerpiece of that was a panel discussion with card company reps. Video of the panel can be seen here:

http://www.nsu-magazine.com/manufacturers-panel-at-the-55th-philly-non-sports-card-show/

Mike Jaspersen of Topps Vault made a couple of announcements of interest to Wacky fans, around the 34:35 mark in the video.

It's not in the video, but at the end of the panel some of the attendees won prizes in a drawing. Among the prizes were Old School boxes, Wacky Erasers boxes, and Halloween Postcards.

Offline paste_anyplace

« Reply #417 on: November 03, 2011, 07:52:46 PM »
Check out the entries in the Philly Show pumpkin decorating contest... including the Wacky winner:

http://www.nsu-magazine.com/the-great-pumpkin-contest/

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #418 on: November 03, 2011, 09:31:38 PM »
Mike Jaspersen of Topps Vault made a couple of announcements of interest to Wacky fans, around the 34:35 mark in the video.

Thanks for that. Great time to be a Wacky collector!!!

Offline UK CardCast

« Reply #419 on: November 03, 2011, 10:26:41 PM »
Hi! Apologies in advance if this looks like spamming, which I don't intend to do, but I was also at the recent Philly Show and interviewed both Fred Wheaton and George Wright for my non-sport trading card podcast UK CardCast, which I hope to have online soon!  If anyone is interested, I could post a link when it's available.
Fred has already appeared on my other, artist focussed, podcast, Behind The Canvas, and I hope to get George on that too!
I'm relatively new to the Wacky world, but I did get a box of Old School at the show and got a Mark Parisi sketch card - which was nice!

It was great meetign Fred, George and Jeff at the show, and I know I chatted to a few Wacky Fans when I was at Fred and Georges table, so it was nice meeting you as well!
Au Res.,
Paul (aka UK CardCast)

anything