Author Topic: Halloween Postcards 2012  (Read 104006 times)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: Halloween Postcards 2012
« Reply #350 on: October 31, 2012, 12:13:12 PM »
No profound statement to add on this discussion but I think that the Topps' Flashback series might have diluted the vintage collecting a bit. There are certain collectors who will always want the original sets. But there is another group of collectors that will be happy to have the old titles available in a newer series and will then be less inclined to chase the vintage sets especially given nicer condition of cards, etc. I guess the question in my mind is whether there are as many "new" people coming into WP collecting to fill the "slots" that will be vacated in future by those "advanced" collectors who will eventually sell off their collections or leave the hobby one way or the other. Or will the interest wain somewhat allowing the supply of vintage items to become more available over time.
I don't think the flashbacks will be much of a factor as I never considered picking up the 264 reissues instead of the similar series 1 to 16 titles and I don't know many who did.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #351 on: October 31, 2012, 12:29:18 PM »
I don't think the flashbacks will be much of a factor as I never considered picking up the 264 reissues instead of the similar series 1 to 16 titles and I don't know many who did.

My only point was that some new collectors may be satisfied with getting the flashback series and then content to skip original series 1 - 16.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #352 on: October 31, 2012, 01:12:21 PM »
Finally got around to opening up my postcard pack that I got at the New York show. Neil wants people to talk about the contents so let's get at them. My review:

Broke's Candy Corpse - This one is my favorite. Great colors, solid clear gag and one of my favorite candies (eating it right now in fact). Glad there is not a lot of extra gags cluttering it up. The candy corn forming a figure is inspired.

Bit -O-Hairy - Also super solid. Painting is really nice as is all the lettering. Good gag but would liked to have seen a bit of a hairy candy bar peeking out the corner as that is a cool visual. Nice to finally see a Big Foot gag.

MuMmy's - A bit of a stretch for the name but visually looks real good. Especially like the little multi-colored wrapped M&Ms. Don't like the hand coming out of the package as it doesn't fit with the little candies inside otherwise a real nice Wacky.

Mirky Way - great name and solid premise but would rather have seen something a bit funny for the visual.

Hounds - Nice painting and good wrapper. Peter Maul is one of the best gag lines. Also could have used something a bit funnier added for the visual though. It's just missing something. His hand looks like it wants to hold a candy bar or something else.

Plots - This one has that visual punch I was talking about with the candy pieces becoming tombstones. Also has my favorite line (sacraficially flavored). Pretty good painting although the lettering could be tighter.

Hunch - Good name and premise but no lumps inside the wrapper?? Like the character and Notre is a good gag. Good painting.

Strike - Nice painting and a hard product to parody so that is a plus right there. Would rather the snake head still be on the packaging and instead have puncture holes or fangs coming out the side or something but a minor quibble.

Slayday - a little R rated I'd say. Surprised to see this type of a title. Lettering on the secondary gag is way too small and thin but I like the idea of a product that hurts you when you open it. Not the strongest painting in the set but decent.

Overall a real nice set. Congrats to all the people involved for their hard work. Hope this gets others motivated to put their thoughts out there.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #353 on: October 31, 2012, 01:57:57 PM »
                                                                          I guess we will be getting Peter Paul Almond Joy in next years release
                                                                                               Will have to look at these for a 2nd time
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #354 on: October 31, 2012, 03:36:27 PM »
Didn't want you left out in all the avatar love since you've got a very spiffy new one as well!

Thanks. You’re right, it’s the Le Sore pea

A shout out to ToadallyDude for adding sparkle to the sword!

Hope ALL have a wretched Halloween!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #355 on: October 31, 2012, 05:08:48 PM »
My only point was that some new collectors may be satisfied with getting the flashback series and then content to skip original series 1 - 16.
I understood that point and certainly some would go down that route but I was suggesting that would be a very small number of people as grabbing flashbacks as opposed to Series 1-16 would be like grabbing 1979-80 reissues over series 1-16 and I know very few people who opted for reissues over originals.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #356 on: October 31, 2012, 05:30:11 PM »
I understood that point and certainly some would go down that route but I was suggesting that would be a very small number of people as grabbing flashbacks as opposed to Series 1-16 would be like grabbing 1979-80 reissues over series 1-16 and I know very few people who opted for reissues over originals.
I seem to recall a number of folks on the forums mentioning that they used reprints to fill in series 16 due to cost. It seemed that was one of the reasons the non-reprints typically sold for more.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #357 on: October 31, 2012, 08:03:53 PM »
I seem to recall a number of folks on the forums mentioning that they used reprints to fill in series 16 due to cost. It seemed that was one of the reasons the non-reprints typically sold for more.
I am pretty sure this was mainly for series 16 titles.  How many of today's active forum members have many reissue stickers or flashback stickers to cover owning the image of some series 1-16 originals?  I bet not too many....

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #358 on: November 01, 2012, 11:59:55 AM »
Finally got around to opening up my postcard pack that I got at the New York show. Neil wants people to talk about the contents so let's get at them. My review:

Broke's Candy Corpse - This one is my favorite. Great colors, solid clear gag and one of my favorite candies (eating it right now in fact). Glad there is not a lot of extra gags cluttering it up. The candy corn forming a figure is inspired.

Bit -O-Hairy - Also super solid. Painting is really nice as is all the lettering. Good gag but would liked to have seen a bit of a hairy candy bar peeking out the corner as that is a cool visual. Nice to finally see a Big Foot gag.

MuMmy's - A bit of a stretch for the name but visually looks real good. Especially like the little multi-colored wrapped M&Ms. Don't like the hand coming out of the package as it doesn't fit with the little candies inside otherwise a real nice Wacky.

Mirky Way - great name and solid premise but would rather have seen something a bit funny for the visual.

Hounds - Nice painting and good wrapper. Peter Maul is one of the best gag lines. Also could have used something a bit funnier added for the visual though. It's just missing something. His hand looks like it wants to hold a candy bar or something else.

Plots - This one has that visual punch I was talking about with the candy pieces becoming tombstones. Also has my favorite line (sacraficially flavored). Pretty good painting although the lettering could be tighter.

Hunch - Good name and premise but no lumps inside the wrapper?? Like the character and Notre is a good gag. Good painting.

Strike - Nice painting and a hard product to parody so that is a plus right there. Would rather the snake head still be on the packaging and instead have puncture holes or fangs coming out the side or something but a minor quibble.

Slayday - a little R rated I'd say. Surprised to see this type of a title. Lettering on the secondary gag is way too small and thin but I like the idea of a product that hurts you when you open it. Not the strongest painting in the set but decent.

Overall a real nice set. Congrats to all the people involved for their hard work. Hope this gets others motivated to put their thoughts out there.

Your critique echoes my experience of this set, with some great details added (love the idea of the humps in the Hunch bar! Dang, would have been sweet!).

Really like "Broke's" and happy it is a non-LE bonus card. Funny though, this is the first time I only bought 2 of the non-LE. One of my Broke's is oddly cut, though I am keeping it. And I was missing a Strike card in the other set (going to write to Topps when I get all my sets together). Hairy is definitely my fave character of this set and pulled a nice sketch card of him (by Pat Barrett). Agree Slayday was WAY over-the-top. My wife immediately pointed out it was too realistic/grim and was surprised it was allowed in the set -- I was too actually. Necko was pretty neat too.

Overall enjoyed the series. Excellent work all!  :great:

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #359 on: November 01, 2012, 12:41:55 PM »

Really like "Broke's" and happy it is a non-LE bonus card.

I am somewhat unhappy my fifty something bucks for a LE set did not get me some of the bonus titles.

It's like buying a new car that is loaded with extras, but you have to pay more if you want 4 tires

Could someone post images of them when you have a chance?  Thanks     :great:

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #360 on: November 01, 2012, 02:24:56 PM »
I am somewhat unhappy my fifty something bucks for a LE set did not get me some of the bonus titles.

It's like buying a new car that is loaded with extras, but you have to pay more if you want 4 tires

Could someone post images of them when you have a chance?  Thanks     :great:

Is this what you are talking about? This came with the regular edition set of postcards.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 02:27:00 PM by ratchet007 »

« Reply #361 on: November 01, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
Was anyone in the midwest thinking about getting a halloween binder or 2,i see the order has to be at least $100 dollars for free shipping              LMK
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #362 on: November 01, 2012, 03:47:22 PM »
Was anyone in the midwest thinking about getting a halloween binder or 2,i see the order has to be at least $100 dollars for free shipping              LMK
I'm holding off until Black Friday to see if topps has another sale like last year. I think many items were 20% off and shipping was free for orders over $75

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #363 on: November 01, 2012, 04:57:35 PM »
How did you find out about the subset???!!! Someone snitched. It was a lot of hard work (and unique foods) to make images of Wacky characters on toilet paper.

I hope I get the rare Dave TP with the gold boardered kidney stone on it!

Seems we have come full circle here with the "rarity" topic. I heard a lot of these point of views already in the past.

De-Ja Do Do

;D

Halloween Postcards Feedback:

Mirky Way: Love it! The creature is awesome, color matches the deep dark chocolate.

MuMmy's: Just O.K. for me. Great artwork

Hunch: Nice tie in to Halloween with title and managed to be a great gag too! Nice Halloween Postcard.

Bit O Hairy: Also nice gag with Halloween tie in.

Hounds: Love the artwork and how it blends spookyness into the actual products colors. Werewolf is supercool too.

Plots: Nice, I know that grave digger is in the dark, but it's a little too dark to see the cool detail of the artwork at that bottom right corner.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:06:54 PM by Playbug »
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

« Reply #364 on: November 01, 2012, 05:20:13 PM »
I'm holding off until Black Friday to see if topps has another sale like last year. I think many items were 20% off and shipping was free for orders over $75
Thanks.....would need 5 binders at $16.00 a pop

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #365 on: November 01, 2012, 05:53:25 PM »
Was anyone in the midwest thinking about getting a halloween binder or 2,i see the order has to be at least $100 dollars for free shipping              LMK

I only bought one binder but after putting all my Halloween PCs and extras its now full. I should have bought 2. I'll have to wait for OLDS4.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #366 on: November 03, 2012, 07:58:31 PM »
So, now that a good  (quantitatively speaking ;)) portion of you have gotten your postcards, I'd love to hear what you think of the Halloween set. Not necessarily the sketch cards, but some of the other elements, such as the artwork, the format, the extras, etc. Your feedback helps when it comes to future sets!
I really like the coffin-shaped postcards as a variation, and the folder to hold everything is way cool! But I think I prefer those as a special one-time thing. (That said, I was trying to come up with other shapes that would work for future years, maybe a tombstone?  Although I see the inside flap of the folder is tombstone shaped. Intriguing.) The size and image orientation on the "coffin-cuts" also allows all the wackys (except Plots) to be larger on the coffin cards, a plus for me. I like the black background on the LE postcards, makes the colors really pop.  Having the variation as the LE and then regular edition postcards is the perfect combo.  I feel as though I get great value, beyond the different bonus cards, in buying both LE and regular sets.  

Bit-O-Hairy Love the gang and the art.  Classic look.  Great coloring, absolutely glows.
Broke*s A thing of beauty.  So simple.  So effective.  Hmm, I’m getting a craving for candy corn....
Hounds I see Hounds isn’t getting the love in the (admittedly small to date) poll.  For me, it really works.  The perfect blend of “modern-day” level of detail, with old style wacky simplicity.  The moon is great, the hound, a joy.  (An almond joy? – no wait, it’s a mounds.)
Hunch Notre gag is great, and the face on the hunchback is first rate work.  But this one doesn’t move me like many of the others in this Halloween series.
Mirky Way Pick of the litter!  Classic monster, love how the swamp weeds evoke wrinkles on the wrapper.  The monster doesn’t wrap around the candy (the perspective is from one angle), but whether intentional or no, I like how it seems the creature is rising in front of the candy bar.  Great pun on the gag.
MuMmy’s The variation peanut/plain is brilliant.  Just noticed the sarcophagus on the peanut version has hieroglyphics and plain doesn’t.  And the M and M in the coffin is shaped differently in each image, the peanut one being clearly peanut-shaped.  The care in those details really clinches it.
Necko The gag is a stretch, but I love that vampire.  The line “For when you can’t bite a neck” seems overkill. (So to speak.)  But despite my quibbles, I like this one a bunch.
PLOTS This a great wacky, but the darkness on the character is an issue for me. Would be one of the tops otherwise.  Use of the “Tootsie” logo is inspired and I like the gag.  So close.
Slayday Some people have said this wacky is too gory.  The limbs are just cartoonish enough that it doesn’t bother me.  Now had they been drawn with Jason Edmiston’s super realism, that would have been creepy!
Strike Rendering on the package is really well done.  Nothing kooky about it, which is kinda disappointing, but a solid wacky.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 08:00:23 PM by Monsterettes »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #367 on: November 03, 2012, 10:11:25 PM »
I really like the coffin-shaped postcards as a variation, and the folder to hold everything is way cool! But I think I prefer those as a special one-time thing. (That said, I was trying to come up with other shapes that would work for future years, maybe a tombstone?  Although I see the inside flap of the folder is tombstone shaped. Intriguing.) The size and image orientation on the "coffin-cuts" also allows all the wackys (except Plots) to be larger on the coffin cards, a plus for me. I like the black background on the LE postcards, makes the colors really pop.  Having the variation as the LE and then regular edition postcards is the perfect combo.  I feel as though I get great value, beyond the different bonus cards, in buying both LE and regular sets.  

Bit-O-Hairy Love the gang and the art.  Classic look.  Great coloring, absolutely glows.
Broke*s A thing of beauty.  So simple.  So effective.  Hmm, I’m getting a craving for candy corn....
Hounds I see Hounds isn’t getting the love in the (admittedly small to date) poll.  For me, it really works.  The perfect blend of “modern-day” level of detail, with old style wacky simplicity.  The moon is great, the hound, a joy.  (An almond joy? – no wait, it’s a mounds.)
Hunch Notre gag is great, and the face on the hunchback is first rate work.  But this one doesn’t move me like many of the others in this Halloween series.
Mirky Way Pick of the litter!  Classic monster, love how the swamp weeds evoke wrinkles on the wrapper.  The monster doesn’t wrap around the candy (the perspective is from one angle), but whether intentional or no, I like how it seems the creature is rising in front of the candy bar.  Great pun on the gag.
MuMmy’s The variation peanut/plain is brilliant.  Just noticed the sarcophagus on the peanut version has hieroglyphics and plain doesn’t.  And the M and M in the coffin is shaped differently in each image, the peanut one being clearly peanut-shaped.  The care in those details really clinches it.
Necko The gag is a stretch, but I love that vampire.  The line “For when you can’t bite a neck” seems overkill. (So to speak.)  But despite my quibbles, I like this one a bunch.
PLOTS This a great wacky, but the darkness on the character is an issue for me. Would be one of the tops otherwise.  Use of the “Tootsie” logo is inspired and I like the gag.  So close.
Slayday Some people have said this wacky is too gory.  The limbs are just cartoonish enough that it doesn’t bother me.  Now had they been drawn with Jason Edmiston’s super realism, that would have been creepy!
Strike Rendering on the package is really well done.  Nothing kooky about it, which is kinda disappointing, but a solid wacky.

I wonder if the plots original art is so much better? The art I own seems to be so much better than the sticker.it could have to do with Topps scanning. It's really sad because the art is so vibrant. It they just spent a few more minutes adjusting the scan it would make a difference. Even some of the color sketches don't do a scan justice because they use some fluorescent colors that don't show up well in a scan.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #368 on: November 04, 2012, 04:47:34 AM »
I wonder if the plots original art is so much better? The art I own seems to be so much better than the sticker.it could have to do with Topps scanning. It's really sad because the art is so vibrant. It they just spent a few more minutes adjusting the scan it would make a difference. Even some of the color sketches don't do a scan justice because they use some fluorescent colors that don't show up well in a scan.
I was thinking the exact same thing about Plots Brad.  I'd love to see a scan of the original.  It would still be an electronic reproduction, but would give a better sense of the original.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #369 on: November 04, 2012, 09:54:33 AM »
I think Grave Nuts is a good example of this. The card is really dark compared to the art.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #370 on: November 05, 2012, 07:33:43 AM »
I see that the Simko Wacky Halloween Comic #2 has SOLD OUT on the Topps site. The one from last year is still available.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #371 on: November 05, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »
I see that the Simko Wacky Halloween Comic #2 has SOLD OUT on the Topps site. The one from last year is still available.

Hairy Mane rocks, I love it. Most complained about the shipping charge when buying it alone, but so - I recommend you buy one when placing another order on the Topps site, it is worth it. The Hunch comic is very entertaining as well. I hope these Halloween comic's keep coming out with the releases, they are really cool IMO.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline mping82

« Reply #372 on: November 06, 2012, 02:27:01 PM »
I appreciate the constructive feedback and try to make each piece I do better than the last.