Author Topic: 20th Anniversary of All New Series Wackys!  (Read 4477 times)

Offline Joe G.

20th Anniversary of All New Series Wackys!
« on: April 01, 2024, 12:32:38 PM »
OK, so this year marks the 20th Anniversary of ANS Wackys.  So it might be fun to post either unique ANS items or unique moments/memories associated with the ANS series. 

Now this is something I've never posted before but in the ANS days Wacky gags could go through an extended refinement process to try and home in on the best balance of humor and design.  So here are my three versions of ANS 11's 'My Little Bony' rough showing the evolution of the final approved gag.  As you can see the rough was first submitted on Jan 7th and wasn’t approved until 2 months later after rounds of meetings I am sure!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 02:32:07 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Alexeirex

Re: 20th Anniversary of All New Series Wackys!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 06:54:58 PM »
Nice progression/history of this wacky! Did they use more than one for the final product? I know there's a variation card that I never got...
Alex

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 07:03:30 PM »
Alex, ha you are right!  I forgot that this gag had the dubious honor of being made into the first ever “infamous” Wacky ‘C’ back.  Alas no.  I wasn’t even told that had been done and had to discover it in the wild.  It’s a Hollywood zombie version of the art in the Bony’s Sharing frame.

Nice progression/history of this wacky! Did they use more than one for the final product? I know there's a variation card that I never got...
Alex
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 10:40:44 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 09:02:21 PM »
Has it really almost 20 years since the release of ANS 1? Dang! Where does the time go.

Great to see that progression and evolution of the Bony card. A behind the scenes look at the making of a Wacky.

That C card variant is a weird one. While I think it’s meant to be a hint to Hollywood Zombies, (as the other two C cards are GPK and Mars Attacks), the picture used is not from that set. It’s actually an image of Andrew W K cd cover. Although I also found an article on him that indicates he spoke at a MLP convention, so I guess there is a weird connection that way too.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 09:27:01 PM »
Patrick, thanks, that is fun trivia.  Now that I see your reference pic I realize the thing on his head, that I always thought was as an upside down icecream cone, is actually a Bony horn!  Too weird to notice new details after so many years.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 10:40:00 PM by Joe G. »

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 06:00:43 AM »
OK, so this year marks the 20th Anniversary of ANS Wackys.  So it might be fun to post either unique ANS items or unique moments/memories associated with the ANS series. 

Now this is something I've never posted before but in the ANS days Wacky gags could go through an extended refinement process to try and home in on the best balance of humor and design.  So here are my three versions of ANS 11's 'My Little Bony' rough showing the evolution of the final approved gag.  As you can see the rough was first submitted on Jan 7th and wasn’t approved until 2 months later after rounds of meetings I am sure!

Joe, you've triggered some PTSD memories for me! I can recall going through the same process numerous times for multiple designs. It was exhausting enough to redesign one multiple times until a final painting was completed, but to go through the same process and have them then "can" the idea was no fun! Life got demanding around 2014 and I no longer had time to draw like I used to, so Colin asked me to try "writing in" with gag ideas. I sent in a list of verbally described gags, but it took almost as long to type up the descriptions as it did to draw them! Out of the entire list, only Transfoamers was used. After that I bowed out for a while and didn't return until the pandemic! It seems I picked the best time possible too, as I don't think Wackys have ever been produced so quickly! We were moving at Ludicrous Speed for a while there! And I love the stuff we came up with! Hopefully the 2024 set upholds that high standard! - Pete

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 09:24:50 AM »
I love stories like this, Joe, thanks for sharing!  I always
wonder what made them, what prompted them, to
toss in a few "C" variations, and when they finally
decided on what to do, why an Andrew WK caricature?

I wish Topps would do a few quirky things like this again,
it would help increase sales, no doubt!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 10:33:44 AM »
OK I feel like I got the thread off on the wrong foot with my little (bony) behinds the scenes story.  What I was really thinking of was stories about the first time finding/purchasing ANS or a particularly thrilling score or completion.  For me I wasn’t following Wackys on line and my daughter found them at Target when we were out shopping.  It was like a lightning strike to see Wackys in stores again!  I was aware that certain nostalgia brands (l had some of the new vintage Gi-Joes at that point) were making a comeback but no idea that new Wackys were in the works!  Getting to complete that series buying packs with my daughter was an absolute blast!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 11:23:02 AM »
I found them at a TRU on my lunch hour, and was late getting back inside because I hadn't run out of packs to open!  One of the best days ever!

But to be honest, I hadn't been following Non Sport Update  :-\  or I would probably have known..........  I had stopped reading any of those at that point because of the breakup of a 20 year relationship that had me down in the dumps.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 11:25:40 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 11:31:56 AM »
Pat, Wow, both Wackys and Toys ‘R’ Us in the same day!  Two of my favorite things of all time!

I found them at a TRU on my lunch hour, and was late getting back inside because I hadn't run out of packs to open!  One of the best days ever!

But to be honest, I hadn't been following Non Sport Update  :-\  or I would probably have known..........  I had stopped reading any of those at that point because of the breakup of a 20 year relationship that had me down in the dumps.

Offline drono

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 11:48:25 AM »
Not to be off topic, but I don't remember how I discovered ANS.  I do remember, however, discovering the 1991 series in a little convenience store name Miles Market on Route 501 between Lynchburg and Rustburg, VA, population 1,500.  It was the first time I'd seen them in stores since my childhood in 1974, so I bought the entire box of 20 or so packs that were left.   

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2024, 11:55:29 AM »
With the 1991 Series, I found them at a convenience store near a ski lodge.  I bought a few packs and then went back to the store and bought them all!  It didn't hurt that we got snowed in that weekend, and could only walk to that store for food.............  I later bought a set from my dealer friend, all minty, but I remember spreading out the cards on the coffee table, trying to assemble a set.  Got close!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2024, 03:48:01 PM »
It’s certainly a sign of the times that Wackys up to the 1991 would be found in small convenience stores, corner stores, news stands and 7-11 but by 2004 it was always in big department stores like Target and Walmart.  Nothing beats finding’em the old way but for me, hunting down packs at Target did get close.  Especially when a new series was imminent and you’d go hunting to spy your first pack!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2024, 04:34:25 PM »
It’s certainly a sign of the times that Wackys up to the 1991 would be found in small convenience stores, corner stores, news stands and 7-11 but by 2004 it was always in big department stores like Target and Walmart.  Nothing beats finding’em the old way but for me, hunting down packs at Target did get close.  Especially when a new series was imminent and you’d go hunting to spy your first pack!

In the Indianapolis area, the challenge of getting Wackys in Target stores, was to find what part of the store they were in. Sometimes the trading card section, sometimes in toys, and sometimes in the end caps near the books section.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2024, 05:35:16 PM »
Hoping for a "keep your eyes peeled" tease...but is Topps going to release a 20th Anniversary of ANS set this year?!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2024, 07:01:38 PM »
I don't recall how I heard that ANS1 was happening, but I'm sure it was a big moment (which is bugging me that I don't recall it).  Probably it was Non-sport Update and then info coming in drips and drabs before finally finding some in a store.  I do recall for the early series (perhaps 2-7) that my local comic shop carried them.  I knew the manager fairly well and whenever they appeared in Previews, he'd ask if I wanted to order a box, which I enthusiastically did.  I'd buy plenty more at Targets and Walmart and TRU, but usually the first box would come from that comic shop.  There was a guy, John (?) Lockwood, who sold all the bonus boxes and whatnot quite cheap, and it was always an exciting time both to decide what to order from him and the day the box from him finally arrived.  I really loved those first six or so ANS releases before they started to get watered down with less appealing cards and base sets.  But the early ANS had some amazing insert sets (magnets!) which were quite fun to chase.

Offline drono

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2024, 07:35:31 PM »
But the early ANS had some amazing insert sets (magnets!) which were quite fun to chase.

My wife bought me whatever was left in a gravity feed box of ANS3 (I think) from Target for Christmas.  I already had all the complete sets, so I used a powerful magnet to find the packs that had the magnet inserts, and only opened them.  Yes, those days were fun.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2024, 08:03:47 PM »
I found the 1991 Wackys at the little corner Korean grocery store! I looked at the packs and couldn't believe my eyes - all new gags!
I missed the ANS1 but did find the first 2 sets with the reprints on the mod backgrounds and the gold cards and my favorite was the Killy Putty in gold - it looked really good and I paid a price that collectors would laugh at now!
Way too high...
I forgot which set had the purple backgrounds - these were in Target packs, possibly ANS11 - but once you separated them it was darn hard to tell the difference between the purples and the regular black backgrounds which was a shame...
Alex

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2024, 10:26:07 PM »
Alex if you’re talking about the Purple Parallels from Wacky Packages 2015 (the last true ANS set before 2023) I agree 100%!  I am a fan of parallels but they should be distinct.  That purple was so dark it looked like two of the same card when I put it next to the black parallel in my binder page!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 10:56:23 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2024, 12:40:51 AM »
Alex if you’re talking about the Purple Parallels from Wacky Packages 2015 (the last true ANS set before 2023) I agree 100%!  I am a fan of parallels but they should be distinct.  That purple was so dark it looked like two of the same card when I put it next to the black parallel in my binder page!

Yup - those were the cards! I'll have to remember that these were the 2015s...
A

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2024, 12:14:41 PM »
Also on the subject of ANS how about a favorite all time ANS sketch from your collection.  I don’t know why but this ANS 7 sketch always appealed to me.  Something about how messy and frantic the art and subject are always says Zapata to me!

Ps.  Sorry I meant ZapataS!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 03:54:31 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2024, 06:57:45 PM »
That is awesome and just makes me want to see you post a video whereby you page through your Wacky treasures.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2024, 10:27:04 AM »
Ha, well Mitch you’ll have to come over one day!  What I want to see is a favorite ANS sketch from some of the uber sketch collectors on the forum.  Paging Pat, Marc and Richard! 

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2024, 11:06:45 AM »
Ha, well Mitch you’ll have to come over one day!  What I want to see is a favorite ANS sketch from some of the uber sketch collectors on the forum.  Paging Pat, Marc and Richard!

This one is right up there for me:

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2024, 11:28:18 AM »
This one is right up there for me:

Oh Yea! ANYTHING painted by Pat is on a totally different level! His work always blows me away!

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2024, 11:29:24 AM »

These too:

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2024, 03:14:25 AM »
What I want to see is a favorite ANS sketch from some of the uber sketch collectors on the forum.  Paging Pat, Marc and Richard!

I don't have many from ANS, but I will look around!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2024, 09:40:35 PM »
OK so the last one I showed was a fav from my ANS 7 collection (the first Wacky retail set with sketches) here’s a fav from ANS 8.  It was actually done by the future brand manager of Wackys at the time.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2024, 09:03:39 AM »
These too:

Wow, those are some incredible sketches!  Hard to pick a fave, but I love mashups and the one with Jolly Mean and Virginia Slums is out of this world!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2024, 09:50:41 AM »
These too:

I like the Super Cigar Crisp one. IMHO, that Wacky does not get enough love, if any.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2024, 10:37:55 AM »
I like the Super Cigar Crisp one. IMHO, that Wacky does not get enough love, if any.

Well Jay did do one for ANS 7 so that’s pretty good representation!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2024, 11:48:55 AM »
OK so continuing with fav ANS sketches here’s one I have from ANS 9 which I believe was the first retail set with sketches by Smokin’ Joe which I was super happy to snag at the time. 

« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 11:50:52 AM by Joe G. »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2024, 01:00:27 PM »
Well Jay did do one for ANS 7 so that’s pretty good representation!

Oh yes, but if a Wacky Pack Flashback 3 is ever made, this one should be one of the Wackys in it.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2024, 09:52:58 AM »
Totally amazing artwork showing up in this thread! (And now Neil’s have been moved to his own dedicated sketch card art thread)
I think it’s all a great way to celebrate 20 years of ANS 1, and the revival of Wackys into so many new and unique ways beyond the original sticker and checklist format.
Hopefully we’ll soon have a new set this year to help celebrate!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 09:56:24 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2024, 11:20:16 AM »
Why was my post removed about artwork quality on ANS series? There was nothing offensive about it, and this thread is all about ANS, not just the sketches!

People are supposed to freely post their opinions here.

anything