Author Topic: Something Wacky this way comes...  (Read 61547 times)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: Something Wacky this way comes...
« Reply #210 on: October 22, 2010, 10:16:10 AM »
These limited sets sure get all of our blood pumping (part 2) !  I wanted to comment on what I think the two major issues are that get people riled.  No,  I am not making any earth-shattering new revelations here.  I will post each one as a separate post to try and stay brief.

The other  controversial issue is resale of the hot commodity. Profiteering, price-gouging. scalping, capitalism… whatever you want to call it. I don’t really see anyone completely detesting any type of profit made from the resale of WPs. No one is suggesting price fixing or a regulatory committee. Seems like we all participate in it to some extent… ahhh, there’s the rub. What differs is each person’s tolerance for what they consider a “fair markup” or “honest profit”.

No amount of arguing is going to settle that. People have mentioned all types of opinions on what they consider palatable and unsavory and under what situation. The bottom line is some people have a stronger moral feeling than others. I hate to use the word “moral” in fear I am misconstrued as to where I fall on this but I don’t know what else to call it.

Some of us would feel guilty flipping an item we just purchased for $40 on eBay with a starting bid of $200. Others of us would not think twice.  As for myself, somehow my conscience feels better if I start it at a lower price and let the bidders determine the value… that’s my internal “moral compass”. Basically, I am the one I have to be able to face in the mirror each day, not the other WP collectors/sellers.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 07:28:17 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #211 on: October 22, 2010, 10:21:26 AM »
It's no different than buying a Wii, Xbox, iPhone, iPad, or any other item on day one and turning it for a profit. If something is hot it will sell on the open market. You also notice these packs aren't really flying off the ebay shelves at the higher prices so people will take a stand and not pay these premium prices. Just because a person lists it high doesn't mean it will sell for that price.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #212 on: October 22, 2010, 10:46:31 AM »
These limited sets sure get all of our blood pumping (part 3) !  

So, it appears to be the combination of the two issues (availability and resale) that really triggers everyone’s emotions. I certainly understand the frustration on missing out on the initial sales opportunity. The 6th series postcards were the first I was able to participate in.  My only recourse for earlier sets was to pay current prices on eBay or buy and trade within the forum or other like groups. Oh wait… I also had the option of NOT BUYING AT ALL.  I think we sometimes forget this option exists because we all are very passionate about WPs. The thought of going without, drives us all crazy.  But, we don’t have to pay the $200 price for a $40 set of paper . Bottom line.

Personal control is after all personal.  No one at Topps holds a literal gun to our heads. We may not like that Topps limits us to 5 sets then taunts us with sets that require 7 bio cards to make a complete set (or whatever each person defines that to be… I always enjoy the discussions on each set of sketch cards and what each person determines  their criteria of a complete set to consist of).  But this still boils down to a personal control issue.  You can buy your 5 sets from Topps then trade in the forum and/or pay eBay prices to get the rest of whatever your complete set is, or you can break Topp’s intended rules and use alternate means to obtain more sets at the lower price. A personal call.    
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 07:32:23 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #213 on: October 22, 2010, 02:30:08 PM »
I did receive shipping confirmation this morning. Looks like a Monday delivery for me via Big Brown.

Same situation here, I was hoping to get them this weekend but it's not going to happen. I wish I had ordered 5 sets instead of just two. They look awesome!

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #214 on: October 22, 2010, 03:32:54 PM »
Just boycott the assholes !!!
eBay ID: vintage-trading-cards

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #215 on: October 22, 2010, 04:29:56 PM »
If I want to buy 5 packs just so I can open one and shove the others in a drawer forever then that's acceptable to the whiners. I can do anything a collector might normally do and that's fine with them. They just don't want me profiting. Meanwhile, half the forum talks about collecting almost exclusively as if the hobby is a junior stock market.

By the way, when that link mistakenly lead me to buying 5 albums yesterday I asked them to cancel my order. So the stupid dimrods canceled my album order AND my postcard order. So I guess I'll be paying top dollar on ebay for mine. I'm glad the whiners haven't stopped them or I'd have no way of getting any.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #216 on: October 22, 2010, 04:35:37 PM »

By the way, when that link mistakenly lead me to buying 5 albums yesterday I asked them to cancel my order. So the stupid dimrods canceled my album order AND my postcard order. So I guess I'll be paying top dollar on ebay for mine. I'm glad the whiners haven't stopped them or I'd have no way of getting any.

That's not right. I'm sure you've already done so, but I would let Neil know to see if he can help.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #217 on: October 22, 2010, 04:42:16 PM »
If I want to buy 5 packs just so I can open one and shove the others in a drawer forever then that's acceptable to the whiners. I can do anything a collector might normally do and that's fine with them. They just don't want me profiting. Meanwhile, half the forum talks about collecting almost exclusively as if the hobby is a junior stock market.

Not necessarily. If the profiteers didn't buy so many, there could be some left. Or at least more left for forum members to buy who might turn them around at a fair rate. Also, calling people whiners is nasty. Let people state their opinions without calling them names. You state your opinions all the time.

I hope you get your set at a reasonable rate.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #218 on: October 22, 2010, 07:03:38 PM »
Lots of anger this series, which could have been avoided with the postcard "subscription" thing (maybe next series?)

Are we calling everyone who sells a postcard set a "profiteer" and condemning them? I hope not. There seems to be 3 situations this time around:

Those who stayed under Topps limit of 5 and want to sell some/all of them
Those who bought more than 5 sets to try to complete a full set of 7 Sketches/Bio cards (since there were 7 artists this round)
Those who bought more than 5 sets only to profit on ebay

So do people agree that the first two are acceptable but the third one is not?

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Missed this one...
« Reply #219 on: October 22, 2010, 08:02:18 PM »
Dang... I know how I missed this one (haven't been on the site in a week or so), but I cannot believe I missed this one.  Sigh...

Been helping a friend out shooting his film the past five days.  Early, and long days. 

I did get a chance to meet and see Dylan Baker work, which was cool.  And helping out a friend pursue their dream is its' own payment... but damn!

That said, is there a thread/request list for members looking to get extra sets from other members?  I'd like to get on that list, if there is one. 

Didn't we discuss some kind of subscription list the last time this happened? 

Not the end of the world - they're just things, after all... but it'd be fun to have not missed out.  :-)

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #220 on: October 22, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Fair enough. I thought I was seeing a mob start to form against anyone who might want to sell some postcards. I'm not someone who would bash the guy who bought up all the series 1 sets even though I never got one so I certainly don't think it would be fair to target me if I decide to sell some stuff. Selling is part of the fun of collecting. Selling puts the stuff in the hands of other collectors. Maybe some aren't fortunate enough to afford them but then again, some aren't fortunate enough to know there was a product release at all. Some can't even afford Topps price.

When I was a kid in 1979 there was one local drug store that I was allowed to wander out to for Wackys. The clerk would only let us buy one pack a day so more kids would get to taste the pie. He wanted to "spread the wealth", thereby depriving my desire to complete a set. So I never completed a set. I think it still haunts me to this day because I usually buy more Wackys than most would. I still buy every re-issue box that comes along, outside of the way overpriced ones. 

I'm lucky enough to have, up until know at least, been able to get one set of each limited edition post card series.  Until now. 

I'm not trying to whine that I missed out.  I AM bummed, because I was having fun collecting the ongoing series of post cards.  Based on how I personally collect - that fun will diminish if my series run is ended, because I'm also not personally willing to spend the amounts currently being asked on Ebay.   I'd like to think I'll still want to pick up future series of post cards - but as with most things in entertainment, "jumping off points" come in many forms - and missing a release in a series like this is a big one. 

But I know why I missed out - I was off the forum for a week.  That's on me.  For those more dedicated this month, and who might have been on the forum every day, they get a reward.  It's also on me that I'm not willing to spend $100+ on a set of six post cards that came out two days ago. 

As for the folks selling these sets on Ebay for profits big and small - well, whaddya gonna do?  They're free to do it, but if they are - then so are the folks who want to characterize their actions as messed-up for doing so.  And of course you can characterize THOSE folks as whiners...  it goes on and on and on.

I just think it'd be cool to get one of those sets for $35.  :-)

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #221 on: October 22, 2010, 09:11:06 PM »
Are you looking for just the postcards?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #222 on: October 22, 2010, 10:05:24 PM »
I posted some postcard sets on ebay. My thing is to collect the sketch cards, bio cards, & a couple of bonus and PC card sets. I don't need 3 extra PC and bonus card sets laying around. I have a lot of other PC extra's because I kept everything together and now realize it really doesn't matter. Collectors collect for various reasons so the other extra's must go. I don't want to be a hoarder :o

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #223 on: October 22, 2010, 11:19:36 PM »
There are plenty more variables that could lead to someone selling postcard sets, sealed or not. It's utter no-self-control communistic bullshit to condemn anybody for buying and selling. If you happen to be one of those persecutors, you'd better have a good explanation if you don't sell a sketch card on ebay for a "fair" price. Because according to your moral stature you should have brought it to the forum and offered it at a "fair" price. Oh, but you didn't need the card. So what? You'll cash in, won't you? I didn't start this debate. The guys who declaring their postcard morality started it.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #224 on: October 22, 2010, 11:24:31 PM »
Not necessarily. If the profiteers didn't buy so many, there could be some left. Or at least more left for forum members to buy who might turn them around at a fair rate. Also, calling people whiners is nasty. Let people state their opinions without calling them names. You state your opinions all the time.

I hope you get your set at a reasonable rate.
You might want to refresh yourself on this thread. I didn't start the name calling or this debate. The moral minority did. I won't call them whiners anymore. I was just using a term someone else stated and declared himself immune to.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #225 on: October 23, 2010, 03:19:35 AM »
You might want to refresh yourself on this thread. I didn't start the name calling or this debate. The moral minority did. I won't call them whiners anymore. I was just using a term someone else stated and declared himself immune to.

And really, if someone is honest with themselves, isn't the true cause of frustration the extremely limited availability of these sets at initial sales time (500 units sold in 50 minutes! Not even hot cakes sold this much like hot cakes). Its the high number of have-nots that result that is causing the irritation. The complaints of eBay prices, etc. is a byproduct. I have not seen complains about $300 price tags for ANS7 gold bordered cards on eBay because everyone feels they have an equal chance to get one themselves in the wild. The opportunity still exists. These discussions occur, in my opinion, because people do not feel they had the opportunity to be involved with the initial sale of the postcard sets. So shouldn't the discussion be focused on whether there is a way that the initial sales could, realistically, be done any differently to change that? Keeping in mind, as others have pointed out, that Topps does not have much of a vested interest in changing the current situation. After all, they sold out in 50 minutes, What could be better for them?

Out of curiosity, is anyone here very familiar with the reason Topps decided to produce these postcard sets the way they did? I mean in such limited quantities and only direct point of sales.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #226 on: October 23, 2010, 05:03:42 AM »
And really, if someone is honest with themselves, isn't the true cause of frustration the extremely limited availability of these sets at initial sales time (500 units sold in 50 minutes! Not even hot cakes sold this much like hot cakes). Its the high number of have-nots that result that is causing the irritation. The complaints of eBay prices, etc. is a byproduct. I have not seen complains about $300 price tags for ANS7 gold bordered cards on eBay because everyone feels they have an equal chance to get one themselves in the wild. The opportunity still exists. These discussions occur, in my opinion, because people do not feel they had the opportunity to be involved with the initial sale of the postcard sets. So shouldn't the discussion be focused on whether there is a way that the initial sales could, realistically, be done any differently to change that? Keeping in mind, as others have pointed out, that Topps does not have much of a vested interest in changing the current situation. After all, they sold out in 50 minutes, What could be better for them?

Out of curiosity, is anyone here very familiar with the reason Topps decided to produce these postcard sets the way they did? I mean in such limited quantities and only direct point of sales.

I think you're right. It all stems from availability. Topps could sell more if they raised production to 1000 sets or more. But people involved with the production including Neil want to keep a lower production quantity to preserve a level of speciality, if that's a word. At this point Neil is probably fighting to keep Topps from RAISING the production quantity. I do appreciate Neil's approach, even though it results in a few casualties along the way. The only wrench is the works is that people are flinging aside the postcards to get to the sketch card. I'm hopeful that the sketch card industry will peak and collapse. Every card series out there is cranking out millions of sketch cards. By this time next year there's going to be about 10,000 Wacky Packages sketch cards floating around. Then more and more and more. Maybe by that time artists will be doing their best work ever yet the cards will be extremely affordable.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #227 on: October 23, 2010, 06:10:03 AM »
Appreciate your comments, Mark. And I definitely agree, the sketch cards are changing the game (hopefully for the better)! I do see the artist's sketches getting better with every release, so that's a big positive! Anyway, I don't know what future sets will look like, but we keep edging closer to mass market, which as you know, I'm not a big fan of. But it doesn't really matter, since that's not my call. As for this set, 500 sets seemed like plenty, especially since there's such a small window for a holiday release. I guess I need a marketing department to analyze the data...oh wait, I've got the forum!javascript:void(0);
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 06:14:02 AM by koduck »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #228 on: October 23, 2010, 09:06:16 AM »
Appreciate your comments, Mark. And I definitely agree, the sketch cards are changing the game (hopefully for the better)! I do see the artist's sketches getting better with every release, so that's a big positive! Anyway, I don't know what future sets will look like, but we keep edging closer to mass market, which as you know, I'm not a big fan of. But it doesn't really matter, since that's not my call. As for this set, 500 sets seemed like plenty, especially since there's such a small window for a holiday release. I guess I need a marketing department to analyze the data...oh wait, I've got the forum!javascript:void(0);

I don't see the sketch cards going away anytime soon.  They are too fun and cool to fade away like a fad!  The fact that each one is unique, and the artist can use their imagination as to what they will look like makes them very addicting. As long as they keep them similar to the existing format I could see them hanging around longterm.  I could see the secondary market prices drop somewhat though as more and more of them
come out with each series, and that's a good thing.  That would enable some who didn't want to pay crazy prices get some.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #229 on: October 23, 2010, 09:51:21 AM »
It really is the sketches that are driving this. I love the postcards also but it's the fun and unique sketch cards that drive us to buy more. Who needs 5 sets of postcards? Actually the postcards are fairly easy for people to obtain. There are sets on ebay now so people can get them. They just won't get the sketch or the bio's. The postcards are also listed cheaper than the sets from Topps.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #230 on: October 23, 2010, 09:55:12 AM »
I don't see the sketch cards going away anytime soon.  They are too fun and cool to fade away like a fad!  The fact that each one is unique, and the artist can use their imagination as to what they will look like makes them very addicting. As long as they keep them similar to the existing format I could see them hanging around longterm.  I could see the secondary market prices drop somewhat though as more and more of them
come out with each series, and that's a good thing.  That would enable some who didn't want to pay crazy prices get some.

I expect them to drop as well for this reason. Same reason the original paintings dropped. The more that come out the less people look at them as unique and start to focus on favorites over volume.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #231 on: October 23, 2010, 09:59:02 AM »
It really is the sketches that are driving this. I love the postcards also but it's the fun and unique sketch cards that drive us to buy more. Who needs 5 sets of postcards? Actually the postcards are fairly easy for people to obtain. There are sets on ebay now so people can get them. They just won't get the sketch or the bio's. The postcards are also listed cheaper than the sets from Topps.

I think the sketch cards are driving the anger not the actual postcard series. If there were no sketch cards I still think this series sells out but it would over a much longer period of time and everyone that wanted a set would get one instead of maybe 80-100 different people in an hour's time. The postcards already proved to be a success before they started using sketch cards in later releases.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #232 on: October 23, 2010, 01:46:09 PM »
I think the sketch cards are driving the anger not the actual postcard series. If there were no sketch cards I still think this series sells out but it would over a much longer period of time and everyone that wanted a set would get one instead of maybe 80-100 different people in an hour's time. The postcards already proved to be a success before they started using sketch cards in later releases.

The original postcard sets did have sketch cards though, they just looked different and were all obviously done by Neil since he was the only artist at that point. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #233 on: October 23, 2010, 01:53:58 PM »
Would a postcard magazine having images from 4 or 5 postcard series be a possible solution?The first magazine would have sets 1 thru 5 the 2nd magazine would sets 6 thru 10 and so on.
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Playskull

« Reply #234 on: October 23, 2010, 02:21:14 PM »
The original postcard sets did have sketch cards though, they just looked different and were all obviously done by Neil since he was the only artist at that point. 
Yep, that original series is still my favorite.  Simple but effective gags, only 3 sketches and one artist to worry about, without all the flashy extras.  It's the only series that I have all the sketch variations for.  I guess if I can only do it with one series, that's the best one to have being that it was limited to 100 sets and is the series that started it all!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #235 on: October 23, 2010, 05:28:06 PM »

Other factors could change the sketch card game. Artists are putting more and more effort into their cards while others capitalize on their efforts. That can't last. Sketch cards may around for a long time but we may be in the midst of the sketch card heyday.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #236 on: October 23, 2010, 05:34:44 PM »
Would a postcard magazine having images from 4 or 5 postcard series be a possible solution?The first magazine would have sets 1 thru 5 the 2nd magazine would sets 6 thru 10 and so on.

Interesting idea! I'd love to see a printed magazine with all of the different cards! My only concern would be the cost. At one point, Dave Gross suggested a guide for the sketch cards. But I think doing a web page with sketch cards & postcards might be more practical, since it doesn't cost as much to produce. But man, a magazine would be awesome!

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #237 on: October 26, 2010, 01:03:22 PM »

Wow, that really sucks.  You get severly hosed just by trying to make your order right.  I didn't bother to orsder any of these.  I am not a big colleter of these sets, but now that I see the artwork and choices, I like them.  I probably won't buy any of them based on what it would cost me though.  I should get more active and buy the series 7 set that is coming out soon.
Still looking for Series 17

anything