Author Topic: Something Wacky this way comes...  (Read 61491 times)

Offline Kook

Re: Something Wacky this way comes...
« Reply #175 on: October 20, 2010, 07:46:19 PM »
HERE! HERE!  I like you Bill!  You and I think alike.  LOL!

Rob (completist)

This "master set" would be a perfect candidate for a subscription product. Giving a completist a way to get a set is also a way to keep people from considering bailing out on the product if they end up missing one of these "frenzied" sale dates (these releases remind me of waiting on line for concert tickets in the 80s) and don't want to drop a grand to play catchup.

If the completists are able to get a set, they are less likely to want/need to burn through many single sets to put a set together and that would leave more single sets for the majority of the people who just want 1 or a few from each release. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #176 on: October 20, 2010, 09:02:54 PM »
The Jack-o-lantern on Mike and Yikes has a very Shiverbones look to it...  ;)
Can't wait to see that one up close Matthew!

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #177 on: October 20, 2010, 09:07:31 PM »
 ;) guilty as charged. I try to put a little of myself in there while staying true to Wacky spirit. I am curious to see it in person too!   :D
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #178 on: October 20, 2010, 11:16:46 PM »
Absolutely.

Some people are slaves to money then they die.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #179 on: October 20, 2010, 11:19:58 PM »
Before we start questioning the ethics of people who want to make money selling collectibles I'd like to ask these questions first.

1. Since Topps put out a series that requires you buy six to complete your set, then sets a limit of five sets per customer, is it still unethical to find a way to buy more sets?

2. When one of us sells a sketch card on ebay and makes a crazy profit on it, is that seller unethical because he didn't offer it at what you think is a "fair" price?

3. Should we condemn every collectibles dealer in the world for their "profiteering"? Or maybe just the ones who are "official" dealers. The rest of us aren't allowed to profit, right?

4. Have you ever been grateful that something you missed out on came available on ebay, even at a high price? I sure have!

5. Before we start burning people at the stake I want to make sure of something. Are we talking about frivolous collectibles or the last of the word's clean drinking water?

I dont think your post justifies answering but i will anyway. There's nothing wrong with people buying a few extra of these to profit on. Nothing wrong with that at all! It's the people that have found a way to buy 20-30 sets by using friends, relatives, etc, and thus depriving other collectors- that is what people are angry about. If you want to pat those people on the back then go right ahead, but I won't be joining you, sorry!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #180 on: October 20, 2010, 11:43:22 PM »

That's very Bittersweet

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #181 on: October 21, 2010, 03:38:49 AM »

I dont think your post justifies answering but i will anyway. There's nothing wrong with people buying a few extra of these to profit on. Nothing wrong with that at all! It's the people that have found a way to buy 20-30 sets by using friends, relatives, etc, and thus depriving other collectors- that is what people are angry about. If you want to pat those people on the back then go right ahead, but I won't be joining you, sorry!
I'm glad you feel there's nothing wrong with profiting on Wacky Packs. I spent 10K on the hobby this year so you better believe I'm going to profit if I can. But you're not the one who's bashing people for it so the post wasn't meant for you. By the way, there's a difference between defending someone's actions and patting them on the back for it.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #182 on: October 21, 2010, 04:59:22 AM »

This is the world we live in. Look at what happens when any cool new gadget comes out like the Wii. No one could find one and when you did you sold it for huge profits. This will never change.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: October 21, 2010, 05:14:13 AM »
As of 4:10 am, my postcard sets are out for delivery, so I should have some scans tonight!

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #184 on: October 21, 2010, 05:27:13 AM »
As of 4:10 am, my postcard sets are out for delivery, so I should have some scans tonight!

Thanks, in advance, for getting scans for the group to see.  I look forward to seeing Neil's work.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #185 on: October 21, 2010, 05:30:49 AM »
I'm glad you feel there's nothing wrong with profiting on Wacky Packs. I spent 10K on the hobby this year so you better believe I'm going to profit if I can. But you're not the one who's bashing people for it so the post wasn't meant for you. By the way, there's a difference between defending someone's actions and patting them on the back for it.

I used the word "profiteering" which is succinct and accurate. You are the one attaching a moral interpretation to the word. I bought my 5 allotted sets and I understand I was a fortunate one who:

1) Was informed when and where the sale would be
2) Had access at the correct time
3) Had the funds to make the purchase.

I can write more later, I'm at work now. I realize the reality of supply and demand.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 05:39:25 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #186 on: October 21, 2010, 05:46:04 AM »
Did everyone get shipping confirmation? Not me.

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #187 on: October 21, 2010, 05:49:38 AM »
Did everyone get shipping confirmation? Not me.

I have not received a shipping confirmation yet.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #188 on: October 21, 2010, 05:50:59 AM »

Nor I, but I just went with normal shipping.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #189 on: October 21, 2010, 06:09:10 AM »
Nor I, but I just went with normal shipping.

Me either. Of course, I didn't order any - but one can always hope.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #190 on: October 21, 2010, 06:17:35 AM »
Me either. Of course, I didn't order any - but one can always hope.

The ultimate optimist! 

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #191 on: October 21, 2010, 06:50:56 AM »
The ultimate optimist! 

Well, I see Topps has again taken down the link for the Halloween Postcard set. I had been refreshing the link repeatedly hoping (optimistically) that a set or two might appear. I suppose I'm going to stop that, so there are limits to my optimism (generally, the limits involve the point where I have to do any actual work - or in this case where the actual work gets to be completely pointless). But since hoping for a shipping confirmation on a set I never bought involves no actual work, I will continue to hope!

Hmm, maybe if I buy 5 sets of the binder I can claim that I was really trying to buy 5 sets of the postcards. Dang! I should have thought of that yesterday.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #192 on: October 21, 2010, 06:56:28 AM »

........and after they die they have to deal with their life on earth, and money doesn't help in the afterlife!  Lol! 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #193 on: October 21, 2010, 07:02:04 AM »
Before we start questioning the ethics of people who want to make money selling collectibles I'd like to ask these questions first.

1. Since Topps put out a series that requires you buy six to complete your set, then sets a limit of five sets per customer, is it still unethical to find a way to buy more sets?

2. When one of us sells a sketch card on ebay and makes a crazy profit on it, is that seller unethical because he didn't offer it at what you think is a "fair" price?

3. Should we condemn every collectibles dealer in the world for their "profiteering"? Or maybe just the ones who are "official" dealers. The rest of us aren't allowed to profit, right?

4. Have you ever been grateful that something you missed out on came available on ebay, even at a high price? I sure have!

5. Before we start burning people at the stake I want to make sure of something. Are we talking about frivolous collectibles or the last of the word's clean drinking water?

Those are all solid points and reflect a nice "devil's advocate" perspective.  I just think with this particular series it was clearly produced for the collector in-mind, not like a mass produced series, so when people network to secure 20 sets with no intention of collecting the sets themselves but profiting instead, it does leave a bad taste in my mouth.   

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #194 on: October 21, 2010, 07:13:40 AM »
I got mine this morning. I paid for overnight shipping, and boy did I get it! I love the set, I am really happy with everything, but was really hoping I'd get one of my own bio cards, alas no dice  :'(
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #195 on: October 21, 2010, 07:15:35 AM »
so... should I post any spoilers? >:D

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #196 on: October 21, 2010, 07:45:34 AM »

Sure, why not. Maybe in a new thread for spoilers/discussion?

Offline Kook

« Reply #197 on: October 21, 2010, 07:50:32 AM »

I say yes too. I thought there was a "Hidden" button/feature so those that don't want to see it can pass it by.

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #198 on: October 21, 2010, 07:52:45 AM »

Let's see what you got!  :o

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #199 on: October 21, 2010, 07:55:37 AM »
ok, some quick bits of info from my 5 sets

[spoiler]Neil's Sketch cards are puzzle pieces! At least the two I received were. Also, your bio card matches the sketch card, I guess that means there are less than 100 of each bio card, which makes them among the lowest printed wackies ever. Mark Parisi has sketch cards for the 1st time and they are really nice.[/spoiler]

Offline Beanball

« Reply #200 on: October 21, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »
Neil.......thankz to you and your band of artists,I am sure these will be super once again!!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         I thank them az well. they look excellent. cant wait to see posts of sketch cards. Wow. :great:

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #201 on: October 21, 2010, 04:43:59 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         I thank them az well. they look excellent. cant wait to see posts of sketch cards. Wow. :great:

Got my postcards today !!! Not enough time to post any more. I'll throw up a pic. of the Sketch I got later. I guess I'll use the Halloween thread for that. Gotta go, company.....  Oh yeah, it's from Neil !
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #202 on: October 21, 2010, 05:42:32 PM »
Those are all solid points and reflect a nice "devil's advocate" perspective.  I just think with this particular series it was clearly produced for the collector in-mind, not like a mass produced series, so when people network to secure 20 sets with no intention of collecting the sets themselves but profiting instead, it does leave a bad taste in my mouth.   
Fair enough. I thought I was seeing a mob start to form against anyone who might want to sell some postcards. I'm not someone who would bash the guy who bought up all the series 1 sets even though I never got one so I certainly don't think it would be fair to target me if I decide to sell some stuff. Selling is part of the fun of collecting. Selling puts the stuff in the hands of other collectors. Maybe some aren't fortunate enough to afford them but then again, some aren't fortunate enough to know there was a product release at all. Some can't even afford Topps price.

When I was a kid in 1979 there was one local drug store that I was allowed to wander out to for Wackys. The clerk would only let us buy one pack a day so more kids would get to taste the pie. He wanted to "spread the wealth", thereby depriving my desire to complete a set. So I never completed a set. I think it still haunts me to this day because I usually buy more Wackys than most would. I still buy every re-issue box that comes along, outside of the way overpriced ones. 

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #203 on: October 21, 2010, 06:46:41 PM »

When I was a kid in 1979 there was one local drug store that I was allowed to wander out to for Wackys. The clerk would only let us buy one pack a day so more kids would get to taste the pie. He wanted to "spread the wealth", thereby depriving my desire to complete a set. So I never completed a set. I think it still haunts me to this day because I usually buy more Wackys than most would. I still buy every re-issue box that comes along, outside of the way overpriced ones. 

Do you know where that clerk lives now?  We could go stick a few thousand flashback stickers on his house as payback.

Offline Playskull

« Reply #204 on: October 21, 2010, 06:56:57 PM »
Uh oh.  I just noticed something!  One of my friggin sketches is BENT in the upper left corner!!  The 2 cards that came with it inside the penny sleeve are fine, but of course the most important one is screwed up!  It's the Mellow Cup Hippy sketch.  Damnit this pisses me off!  I was going to trade or sell this to get a sketch I wanted more. What would Topps do, if anything, to compensate for this?  This bend surly devalues the sketch! :sad:

VX HYPERSPACE

« Reply #205 on: October 21, 2010, 08:37:43 PM »
Uh oh.  I just noticed something!  One of my friggin sketches is BENT in the upper left corner!!  The 2 cards that came with it inside the penny sleeve are fine, but of course the most important one is screwed up!  It's the Mellow Cup Hippy sketch.  Damnit this pisses me off!  I was going to trade or sell this to get a sketch I wanted more. What would Topps do, if anything, to compensate for this?  This bend surly devalues the sketch! :sad:

I had that happen to an ANS7 sketch & Gold...

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #206 on: October 21, 2010, 09:06:55 PM »
Uh oh.  I just noticed something!  One of my friggin sketches is BENT in the upper left corner!!  The 2 cards that came with it inside the penny sleeve are fine, but of course the most important one is screwed up!  It's the Mellow Cup Hippy sketch.  Damnit this pisses me off!  I was going to trade or sell this to get a sketch I wanted more. What would Topps do, if anything, to compensate for this?  This bend surly devalues the sketch! :sad:

Send it back

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #207 on: October 21, 2010, 09:09:02 PM »
Fair enough. I thought I was seeing a mob start to form against anyone who might want to sell some postcards. I'm not someone who would bash the guy who bought up all the series 1 sets even though I never got one so I certainly don't think it would be fair to target me if I decide to sell some stuff. Selling is part of the fun of collecting. Selling puts the stuff in the hands of other collectors. Maybe some aren't fortunate enough to afford them but then again, some aren't fortunate enough to know there was a product release at all. Some can't even afford Topps price.

Mark, don't sweat it. I may sell some also to get what I want. There is nothing wrong with selling a card. I sold a lot of OLDS to recoup my cost to get the cards I wanted. Why is this bad? It's actually no different than trading. So you trade for money instead of another card. You then use the money to buy the card you want. Same difference.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #208 on: October 22, 2010, 09:08:57 AM »

I did receive shipping confirmation this morning. Looks like a Monday delivery for me via Big Brown.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:11:39 AM by sco(o)t »

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #209 on: October 22, 2010, 09:47:43 AM »
These limited sets sure get all of our blood pumping!  I wanted to comment on what I think the two major issues are that get people riled.  No,  I am not making any earth-shattering new revelations here.  I will post each one as a separate post to try and stay brief.

One thing people are frustrated with, is the absence of an equitable way to sell a very limited quantity of product. No matter what time of the day or what the venue of the sales is, there will be those who are unavailable to participate. I envision the selling of one of these sets in my mind like the days when they opened territory for the land rush. We are all at the starting line with our buckboard wagons, women, cows, etc. waiting for the starting gun to sound. We furiously start hitting the refresh icon looking for that first sign of change on the web site.

Several have suggested a prescription approach which, at first sounded very appealing to me. But then I started thinking that that would really just move the frenzy to the point where registration opens. You still have the issue of the first X people who can register being the haves and those that missed out being the have nots.  I don’t hear anyone lobbying for a “lottery approach” where you register your name to win a chance at purchasing sets. I just don’t like the taste of that myself.

The only “fairer” way I can think of would be to do the sales just as they did on Wednesday, except perhaps break the inventory into half or thirds and have several sales over a period of a day or two at different published times. I know, its not a very elegant solution and from Topps perspective would be more time consuming and costly. That’s the best I got.  The reality is, some will always get in on the initial sale and some won’t Topps will never have an iron-clad way to guarantee someone is not purchasing more than the prescribed amount.  In fact, the technology that make it so easy to purchase quickly is the same technology that would make it easier for someone to purchase under multiple accounts/IDs/addresses.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 07:28:35 PM by sco(o)t »