Author Topic: Kiss Off  (Read 1476 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Kiss Off
« on: August 09, 2023, 03:19:09 PM »
Does anyone recall exactly when Topps stopped kiss cutting Wackys? Either by year or by series? Without my binders in front of me, I want to say around ANS 10…Was any explanation ever given? Im sure it was a cost savings for Topps, but every Wacky collector I know misses the kiss cuts. Sorry if this has bern covered in years past, but I could not find a specific thread on the forum regarding just this issue…

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Kiss Off
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 03:45:33 PM »
After the 2015 series?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 04:40:56 PM »
Wacky MLB in early 2016 was the last cut set.
After that, both the online and retail sets lost the cut. e.g. OLDS 6, 50th anniversary, etc.
Supposedly the extra cost to make the kiss cut was "cutting" into profits and the PTB declared that 'no one peels them anyway, so no one will miss it'
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 05:03:02 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 04:45:29 PM »
It then becomes self fulfilling…they assume no one peels and sticks ‘em anyplace…so they price and distribute sets beyond the reach of the regular people or youngsters…Thus fulfilling their own arrogant declaration that no one peels and sticks the stickers any more…
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 09:32:27 AM by JailOJohn »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 05:49:20 PM »
It then becomes self fulfilling…they assume no one peels and sticks ‘em anyplace…so they price and distribute sets beyond the reach of the regular people or youngsters…Thus fulfilling their own arrogant declaration that no one pella and sticks the stickers any more…
I like to use this little timeline for perspective:

1973: $2.40 per box (48 packs)
2013: $2.00 per pack (5 or 6 cards)
2023: $2.00 per CARD

With the 2008-09 Flashbacks it was great having plenty of extras to stick, make homemade magnets, etc., but at today’s prices I would probably look to past releases for those purposes.  Arguably we have reached a point, at least for Series 3 on, where decent condition OS titles can be obtained at a cost comparable to their counterpart 2023 reprints, maybe even less.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2023, 07:06:33 PM »
Micro Wackys ARE Kiss Cut.  :)

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 08:18:38 PM »
I like to use this little timeline for perspective:

1973: $2.40 per box (48 packs)
2013: $2.00 per pack (5 or 6 cards)
2023: $2.00 per CARD

A quick web search shows:

Value of $1 from 1973 to 2023
$1 in 1973 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $6.87 today, an increase of $5.87 over 50 years. The dollar had an average inflation rate of 3.93% per year between 1973 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 587.18%.

That would mean, if my math is correct, that a 48-pack box of 1973 stickers would cost about $16.50 today, which would come to a little over 17 cents a sticker (nevermind the costs for the checklist, wrapper, and gum).   17 cents a sticker?   No, they are now 2 dollars a sticker, and that is without the kiss cut.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 04:40:25 AM »
As others have pointed out, for $2 per sticker, you can buy mid series Original Series Wackys for that…or at least Flashback Wackys that were kiss cut. Its pretty clear they are just milking the hard core collectors (one might call us fanatics) at this point…It seems like collectors are more excited about the Wacky minis at this point. At least they are new, or at least different. (and kiss cut.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 04:45:36 AM by JailOJohn »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 03:15:17 AM »
As others have pointed out, for $2 per sticker, you can buy mid series Original Series Wackys for that…or at least Flashback Wackys that were kiss cut. Its pretty clear they are just milking the hard core collectors (one might call us fanatics) at this point…It seems like collectors are more excited about the Wacky minis at this point. At least they are new, or at least different. (and kiss cut.)

One thing I have noticed is that Wacky Mini Collectors who are primarily into physical minis tend to be female and not very old; while Wacky collectors in general tend to be male and older.
No polling data here; just observations from messaging people on ebay and meeting them at shows.  Mini collectors get into it by buying minis for their kids now; while as we know, Wacky collectors purchased these cards as kids.

Offline quas

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2023, 04:38:10 AM »
One thing I have noticed is that Wacky Mini Collectors who are primarily into physical minis tend to be female and not very old; while Wacky collectors in general tend to be male and older.
No polling data here; just observations from messaging people on ebay and meeting them at shows.  Mini collectors get into it by buying minis for their kids now; while as we know, Wacky collectors purchased these cards as kids.

I agree with that observation, having set up at the Philly show. And it's refreshing to see these Moms are not so concerned with kids swallowing the minis that they refuse to buy them.  It was so much more fun as a kid when cereals and Cracker Jacks would have little fun items inside the boxes other than "safe" things or, as is the case now for cereals, nothing at all.
Marc

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2023, 08:53:39 AM »
I agree with that observation, having set up at the Philly show. And it's refreshing to see these Moms are not so concerned with kids swallowing the minis that they refuse to buy them.  It was so much more fun as a kid when cereals and Cracker Jacks would have little fun items inside the boxes other than "safe" things or, as is the case now for cereals, nothing at all.

I loved it when cereals had cut-out records on the box. And my dad loved it if we played said records on his expensive hi-fi record player.  :P
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2023, 01:51:07 PM »
I loved it when cereals had cut-out records on the box. And my dad loved it if we played said records on his expensive hi-fi record player.  :P

I am grateful that I grew up in the Golden Age of Cereal Prizes. I recall buying Quisp and Quake as well as Freakies mainly for the cool prizes.

Andrew

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2023, 02:01:07 AM »

I remember playing the shortened cereal back version of the Archie's Sugar Sugar on my portable kiddie phonograph. No way was I going to put it on the stereo!
A

anything