Author Topic: 1982 Iron On - Anyone Familiar with this?  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Kook

1982 Iron On - Anyone Familiar with this?
« on: June 06, 2023, 11:16:01 AM »
I am familiar with the newspaper iron on from 1982. I have never seen the same iron on just on a blank sheet of paper. The ebay listing I added below says mail away poster, but I thought it was only included in the paper.

Does anyone have any more info on this?

Newspaper Iron On

Stand alone Iron On

Ebay auction:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/166107219492

Offline faustxxx

Re: 1982 Iron On - Anyone Familiar with this?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 08:25:42 PM »
    Did you end up grabbing this Bill? I think that price was very, very low.

Matt

Offline Kook

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 08:58:46 AM »
    Did you end up grabbing this Bill? I think that price was very, very low.

Matt

No, I wasn't sure if this was a copy or legit. I've only seen this as part of the newspaper. I have one from the newspaper. Any idea of the history and if it's legit or a copy? If there really was a mail away option or if this is some type of proof??

Offline mikecho

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 11:03:58 AM »
No, I wasn't sure if this was a copy or legit. I've only seen this as part of the newspaper. I have one from the newspaper. Any idea of the history and if it's legit or a copy? If there really was a mail away option or if this is some type of proof??
It's legit; it was a Sunday comics newspaper ad for the four Ralston cereal stickers that were connected to the 1982 Album series and were found in the four cereals they parodied, namely, Cookie Crisp - Chocolate Chip, Dinky Gonuts, Waffelos - Maple and Waffelos - Blueberry.

I don't know about the other version of the iron-on, though. That might be something new to add to the Spreadsheet. Do you know where it came from per chance?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 11:11:46 AM by mikecho »

Offline Kook

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 11:11:28 AM »
It's legit; it was a Sunday comics newspaper ad for the four Ralston cereal stickers that were connected to the 1982 Album series and were found in the four cereals they parodied, namely, Cookie Crisp - Chocolate Chip, Dinky Gonuts, Waffelos - Maple and Waffelos - Blueberry.

The Transfer on plain paper is not from the newspaper. Look at the 2 pictures at the top of the thread and you will see the difference.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 11:14:56 AM »
The Transfer on plain paper is not from the newspaper
Okay, that's one-half of the question answered. The other half is, where did it come from? Was it offered by Topps on one of their product wrappers? That would be my first guess here.

Offline lcummins

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2023, 11:52:19 AM »
It has the same info as the newspaper version, right down to the Ralston copyright. I wonder if it came in the cereal? The newspaper ad says look for stickers and posters… maybe this was the “poster” or a replacement when they ran out?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 11:58:24 AM by lcummins »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2023, 12:20:18 PM »
It has the same info as the newspaper version, right down to the Ralston copyright. I wonder if it came in the cereal? The newspaper ad says look for stickers and posters… maybe this was the “poster” or a replacement when they ran out?
The posters, I know, were actually found on the backs of the four cereals' boxes and had to be cut out from them. But the iron-on coming from inside the four cereals as a premium is also a good guess. I wonder if it did?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 07:06:45 PM by mikecho »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2023, 01:00:23 PM »
Does anyone have any more info on this?
I don't really have any info on its origin, etc. but I do own one. Just like the auction, I bought one of these at the last Philly show from Matt. He had a couple of them with him, displayed out on his table. I probably should have asked some questions about it, but didn't, shame on me. Neither Greg nor he were terribly forthcoming about it, so I don't know how much accurate info I would have received, regardless. I paid for mine approximately the same as the auction ended at. I don't think it's a "copy" of any sort, I think it came from some legitimate source back in the day. If anyone wants, I could post better photos of both sides here.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2023, 04:21:10 PM »
Yes, please do!

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2023, 04:55:53 PM »
It’s folded into letter sized segments. Maybe it was a mail-in premium?

Offline Kook

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2023, 08:50:23 PM »
It’s folded into letter sized segments. Maybe it was a mail-in premium?

The folds aren't sharp, like would be required if mailed in an envelope. They look similar to a newspaper fold.

Offline Kook

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2023, 08:51:51 PM »
I don't really have any info on its origin, etc. but I do own one. Just like the auction, I bought one of these at the last Philly show from Matt. He had a couple of them with him, displayed out on his table. I probably should have asked some questions about it, but didn't, shame on me. Neither Greg nor he were terribly forthcoming about it, so I don't know how much accurate info I would have received, regardless. I paid for mine approximately the same as the auction ended at. I don't think it's a "copy" of any sort, I think it came from some legitimate source back in the day. If anyone wants, I could post better photos of both sides here.

Tom, had you ever seen one before? I hadn't. I see Matt sold it. If you bought one too, I wonder how many he has and where they came from.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2023, 03:38:23 PM »
Tom, had you ever seen one before?
I had not, which is why I ponied up for it (though I still think I got it pretty reasonably).

anything