Author Topic: Strike 10 against E-bay  (Read 4651 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Strike 10 against E-bay
« on: May 16, 2023, 10:59:42 AM »
So….yet another new e-bay trick…not sure when it started, but recently. If you want to make a seller an offer e-bay will not make the offer until you list a form of payment. Then instead of getting an e-mail that the seller has accepted, and then being asked to pay…if the seller accepts your offer, e-bay automatically pays the seller. Not sure what the difference is, except it is e-bay forcing more rules down your throat if you are a buyer…

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Strike 10 against E-bay
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 11:14:00 AM »
So….yet another new e-bay trick…not sure when it started, but recently. If you want to make a seller an offer e-bay will not make the offer until you list a form of payment. Then instead of getting an e-mail that the seller has accepted, and then being asked to pay…if the seller accepts your offer, e-bay automatically pays the seller. Not sure what the difference is, except it is e-bay forcing more rules down your throat if you are a buyer…

That is strange, since the analogous thing would be to force you to enter payment information before bidding on an auction. Why enter payment information before you know whether the offer will be accepted?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 11:23:16 AM »
This article discusses what you are referring to, but it is from Fall, 2021. Strange that it is only happening now. Beta test?

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2021/11/1635971952.html

Offline lcummins

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 12:08:43 PM »
This started for me over a year ago, but strangely, it stopped a few months ago. The last few offers I've made did not require payment info.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 12:24:21 PM »
This is the FIRST time it has happened to me…..

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 12:36:50 PM »
Guys…let’s say you want to pay with PayPal…you’re telling me you have to go through the entire payment process before the offer is accepted? If that’s the case, I’m done making offers.

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 12:44:02 PM »
Guys…let’s say you want to pay with PayPal…you’re telling me you have to go through the entire payment process before the offer is accepted? If that’s the case, I’m done making offers.

I just made an offer on a card and I did not have to through that process.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 12:51:38 PM »
I just made an offer on a card and I did not have to through that process.

It sounds like beta testing is going on…

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 01:38:00 PM »
That happened to me about a week and a half back - in my case i did win the auction -
A

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023, 06:00:53 PM »
I haven't made any offers on things lately, but definitely remember having to go ahead and specify payment method on some offers that I made on some items last year.  I remember that the offer process indicated that if the offer was accepted, the payment would be made automatically.

Honestly, I don't really see this as something that would prevent me from making offers.  If I am making an offer and it is accepted, I would have paid for it anyway.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Kook

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2023, 06:16:22 PM »

I was recently subjected to this process as well and found it annoying. In order for me to send an offer to the seller, I needed to specify how I would pay, so I needed to tell them I'd be using paypal and specify which credit card to use. Then, if the seller accepts the offer, they automatically run the payment. I would imagine all future offers will use this payment method unless I specify otherwise.

This forced aspect of the offer transaction only started for me about a month ago.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2023, 07:27:12 PM »
I was recently subjected to this process as well and found it annoying. In order for me to send an offer to the seller, I needed to specify how I would pay, so I needed to tell them I'd be using paypal and specify which credit card to use. Then, if the seller accepts the offer, they automatically run the payment. I would imagine all future offers will use this payment method unless I specify otherwise.

This forced aspect of the offer transaction only started for me about a month ago.

That’s ridiculous. I can see that if you’re just paying with a card, but not if you’re using paypal. You’re supposed to give eBay your paypal password? How else could they “run the payment” once the offer is accepted?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2023, 10:43:50 AM »

I've made several offers recently without this necessity. I rarely sell on ebay. Is this possibly an option that the seller can select?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2023, 10:54:50 AM »
Not sure, but it felt like it was a setting imposed by e-bay…the last several years, their stupid and arbitrary rules are making it very unpleasant to do business on e-bay….but sometimes its the only way to buy something you want…

Offline Kook

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2023, 10:55:05 AM »
That’s ridiculous. I can see that if you’re just paying with a card, but not if you’re using paypal. You’re supposed to give eBay your paypal password? How else could they “run the payment” once the offer is accepted?

I'm not sure how they do it, but they do. When I'm logged into ebay and go to make a payment, the paypal window pops up and lists my payment methods and says "We recognize you on this device so you don't need to login..." This was the case before the forced payment method selection.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2023, 10:59:48 AM »
I'm not sure how they do it, but they do. When I'm logged into ebay and go to make a payment, the paypal window pops up and lists my payment methods and says "We recognize you on this device so you don't need to login..." This was the case before the forced payment method selection.

I make sure that I don’t remain logged into PayPal on any device. A couple of times PayPal has set it that way, and I manually went in and turned it off. Do you think that is the difference?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2023, 06:57:09 PM »
From all I've read and heard about eBay in this place, shouldn't this be strike 100 against them? Or even 1,000, or maybe 1,000,000? I've really lost count by now, lol.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2023, 10:08:40 PM »
From all I've read and heard about eBay in this place, shouldn't this be strike 100 against them? Or even 1,000, or maybe 1,000,000? I've really lost count by now, lol.
I was thinking the same thing - only 10?  Probably 100+ is more like it.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2023, 06:28:11 AM »
We are like drug addicts…we ought to quit using e-bay…but sometimes you want what they have…

Offline mikecho

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2023, 06:37:15 AM »
I was thinking the same thing - only 10?  Probably 100+ is more like it.
Ah, great minds think alike!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2023, 08:15:05 AM »
We are like drug addicts…we ought to quit using e-bay…but sometimes you want what they have…

They are pretty much the only game in town for some stuff   :sad:

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2023, 08:39:17 AM »
Greg's new Wacky Mall has good stuff, but the more obscure/rare items seem to only appear on eBay.

Offline Kook

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2023, 09:10:58 AM »
I make sure that I don’t remain logged into PayPal on any device. A couple of times PayPal has set it that way, and I manually went in and turned it off. Do you think that is the difference?

I think it has something to do with ebay. They may have an agreement with paypal somehow, kind of like how you can login with a google ID to many different websites. I say this because if I go to paypal directly, the website doesn't recognize me as logged in. I must physically login.

The paypal window I get from ebay is actually a popup window on top of my ebay session, it's not a new tab.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2023, 10:09:36 AM »
They are pretty much the only game in town for some stuff   :sad:
Wackys aside, there is so much relatively obscure stuff from the past that I never would have found elsewhere.  Sports memorabilia being just one example - old magazines, game programs, yearbooks, photos, ticket stubs, cards, etc.  I could go on and on and on....

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2023, 10:11:21 AM »
But it’s also a blessing and a curse - as many of us know, all this fun stuff can really pile up after 20+ years of eBaying . . .

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2023, 11:39:51 AM »
But it’s also a blessing and a curse - as many of us know, all this fun stuff can really pile up after 20+ years of eBaying . . .

50 years of collecting, including that 20+ years of ebay, and of never throwing anything out.  My piling up days are over due to lack of space.  Lots to get rid of!!  Something has to leave for every item I now collect!!

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2023, 01:03:13 PM »
50 years of collecting, including that 20+ years of ebay, and of never throwing anything out.  My piling up days are over due to lack of space.  Lots to get rid of!!  Something has to leave for every item I now collect!!

The new Postcards are coming in, so get those Chromes and ANS7-9 gold foils out.

:P

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2023, 04:45:07 PM »

Sign me up to attend when you have an open house and garage sale!

I unfortunately had to start getting rid of things 30 years ago due to lack of space.  I'd love to now go through some of the things that I had.

Offline quas

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2023, 06:48:07 PM »
Ebay - Can't live with it.  Can't live without it.
Marc

Offline mikecho

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2023, 07:26:49 PM »
Ebay - Can't live with it.  Can't live without it.
However, what did we do before we had it?

Offline quas

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2023, 08:33:45 PM »
Same as before cell phones.  We managed just fine.  But now it's hard to imagine life without.
Marc

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2023, 10:13:03 PM »
Coincidentally was here today - teaching mahjong -
A

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2023, 02:25:50 PM »
Same as before cell phones.

And dont forget the Wrapper magazine classified ads!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2023, 11:10:12 AM »
And dont forget the Wrapper magazine classified ads!

Those were a lifeline between local shows!!

Offline drono

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2023, 04:58:34 AM »
I can't explain it, by I'm always drawn to the auctions from this seller

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304994165411
https://www.ebay.com/str/whozitsnwhatzitsvintagefinds

anything