Author Topic: “Real” Garbage Can-dy  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Joe G.

“Real” Garbage Can-dy
« on: August 10, 2023, 11:09:59 AM »
So turns ot that Garbage Can-dy is still being produced possibly in Canada as that’s where I ordered them from.  As far as memory serves these seem pretty much identical to the late ‘70s version in terms of packaging, candies and taste.  The 8 I purchased including shipping cost me the same as a pack of current Wackys so seems like a fair deal.  Here’s some pics.

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
Re: “Real” Garbage Can-dy
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 11:47:48 AM »
Point of Parlimentary Procedure! I thought the pieces were multi-colored, instead of all white. Am I remembering that wrong? Maybe I'm confusing them with the chewable vitamins!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 12:02:46 PM »
Point of Parlimentary Procedure! I thought the pieces were multi-colored, instead of all white. Am I remembering that wrong? Maybe I'm confusing them with the chewable vitamins!
You're right, they were multi-colored: pink, yellow, green and orange. They were also shaped like dog bones (the ones that dogs chewed on, btw), fish bones, old shoes and glass soda pop bottles. The tiny plastic garbage cans were also multi-colored: blue, pink, green and purple. The candy was tart-tasting and similar in consistency to Pez candy.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 01:03:46 PM by mikecho »

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 12:28:42 PM »
So turns ot that Garbage Can-dy is still being produced possibly in Canada as that’s where I ordered them from.  As far as memory serves these seem pretty much identical to the late ‘70s version in terms of packaging, candies and taste.  The 8 I purchased including shipping cost me the same as a pack of current Wackys so seems like a fair deal.  Here’s some pics.

Being from Canada, I can vouch that they are still up here. Always cool to see. Still made in many colours.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 01:09:58 PM »
Too cool!  Wish I could grab ‘em at the corner store! 
Pete, yes now that point it out the colors are more subtle but still there.  Perhaps the old food dyes they used are no longer kosher or not used in Canada?  Oh and the taste is tart and awesome.  Kinda like a Sweet Tart.

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 04:56:11 PM »
That's cool.

At the time it was here in the U.S., I usually bought Mr. Bones which was exactly the same as Garbage candy but it came in a nice plastic coffin with bones and skulls.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 05:18:18 PM »
Well great choice!  I remember Mr. Bones and in fact Super 7 makes a Mr. Bones action figure.  You can snag ‘em on their website.  Unfortunately coffin not included.

That's cool.

At the time it was here in the U.S., I usually bought Mr. Bones which was exactly the same as Garbage candy but it came in a nice plastic coffin with bones and skulls.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 07:05:55 PM »

Could I ask where you ordered them from?  Would love to get some.

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2023, 08:20:20 PM »
Well great choice!  I remember Mr. Bones and in fact Super 7 makes a Mr. Bones action figure.  You can snag ‘em on their website.  Unfortunately coffin not included.

This is a fantastic figure and such a great way to bring back such a nostalgic item.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2023, 08:24:02 PM »
Of course, can’t promise this is the best price you will find but I got ‘em from:

https://candyfunhouse.com/products/garbage-can-dy-1pc?keyword=garba

They’re $1.39 each BUT there is a minimum shipping of $10 for any order under $40.  I decided to get 8 of ‘em and the total was $21.12.  Might be worth looking around the site to see if there is anything else worth grabbing as the shipping would be the same.  Also there is free shipping on orders over $49 but that’s a lot of candy.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2023, 04:36:30 AM »
Of course, can’t promise this is the best price you will find but I got ‘em from:

https://candyfunhouse.com/products/garbage-can-dy-1pc?keyword=garba

They’re $1.39 each BUT there is a minimum shipping of $10 for any order under $40.  I decided to get 8 of ‘em and the total was $21.12.  Might be worth looking around the site to see if there is anything else worth grabbing as the shipping would be the same.  Also there is free shipping on orders over $49 but that’s a lot of candy.
Thanks, I’ll check it out.