Author Topic: Shelf life of ANS gum?  (Read 1481 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Shelf life of ANS gum?
« on: September 15, 2023, 08:07:32 PM »
I have a ton of gum sticks on cello from some ANS boxes i opened. How horrible am I fir thinking about handing it out at Halloween? I hate to waste it…

Offline Plastered Peanut

Re: Shelf life of ANS gum?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2023, 12:04:54 AM »
I have a ton of gum sticks on cello from some ANS boxes i opened. How horrible am I fir thinking about handing it out at Halloween? I hate to waste it…

You really ARE Napoleon Dynamite, aren't you?
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline drono

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2023, 05:49:04 AM »

Well, if you want to wake up to toilet paper all over your house - or eggs, then go right ahead. It couldn't be any worse than Frank Barone's chocolate coins.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 07:40:27 AM »
I just was not raised to waste food….But i really dont want to clean up TP and soap, so i will let the gum pass away peacefully….
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 08:16:46 PM by JailOJohn »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 08:24:14 AM »
I just was not raised to waste food….But i really dont want to clean up TP and soap, so i will let tje him pass away peacefully….
I was raised similarly, but not to the abandonment of common sense.  Just realize it’s not really food, just sugary gum that offers zero nutritional value.  Add to that I don’t think gum was included in packs beyond maybe ANS 4 or 5, so you’re talking 15+ years.  Most candy is noticeably stale within less than a year beyond the sell date, so this should be an easy one.  Trash it.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2023, 12:20:55 PM »
I just was not raised to waste food….But i really dont want to clean up TP and soap, so i will let tje him pass away peacefully….

If the gum is that old, for all intents and purposes it was wasted a long time ago. Just toss it. The world will go on turning.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2023, 08:19:58 PM »
My kid is the one who actually insisted on saving the gum when we killed that box….it probably was foolish to consider giving it to kids to consume. In my defense, dont they claim a Twinkie will last 40 years?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2023, 08:35:56 PM »
My kid is the one who actually insisted on saving the gum when we killed that box….it probably was foolish to consider giving it to kids to consume. In my defense, dont they claim a Twinkie will last 40 years?
I think that I saw somewhere (I don't know where) that that was disproven a while ago. Can anyone please help me out here?

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2023, 01:54:21 AM »
I can't believe you're even considering this.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2023, 06:19:48 AM »
I can't believe you're even considering this.
Spend $4 for a bag of Dum Dums pops, or risk potential illness with rancid gum, thereby ruining Halloween for potentially hundreds of kids.  What to do?  What to do?

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2023, 06:32:59 AM »
No, you are right, i am not going to risk making kids sick or breaking their teeth on 15 year old gum. I have sprung for some mini snickers….
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 06:35:03 AM by JailOJohn »

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2023, 06:41:02 AM »
I have some doubles of ANS. Ill try giving those out as well…

Offline drono

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2023, 03:57:43 AM »
Hopefully the parents still check their kids candy and would just throw it out.  I remember putting the gum sticks from my baseball cards into a plastered peanuts can and my dad giving it out to our baseball team before games - of course it was gum from the current season's cards.

You could always try putting it on eBay. Didn't the Lost Wackys or one of those other bootleg stes have a sticker of a piece of broken gum?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2023, 08:45:11 AM »
Greg's website has a thread on gum. Check it out.

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2023, 10:28:38 AM »
I can say that I've tried some of those ancient pieces of gum, and while they did not make me sick at all, they also didn't get anywhere close to what we remember the gum experience being like. They broke into tiny bits, but never congealed into a wad of gum no matter how much you chewed them. That big, sugary rush you used to get when you started chewing was gone, and you only got the faintest hint of any sweetness or even gum-like taste. It was probably closer to chewing a bit of sheet rock or plaster. I can say I did it, but it wasn't worth the trouble. Not pleasurable at all! Definitely toss them!

Offline drono

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2023, 10:31:45 AM »
Greg's website has a thread on gum. Check it out.

Gee, if the search worked on Greg's website, that might have been useful to know.  Here's something just as useful - Amazon sells gum, check it out.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2023, 04:13:19 PM »
When I got back into Wackys around 1999 or 2000, it tried to eat a piece of gum from a '79 reprint pack.  The gum almost instantly dissolved in my mouth and tasted like cardboard.  Needless to say, I never tried that again!!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

anything