Author Topic: Kidults Wackys not mentioned but yeah same thing  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Alexeirex

Re: Kidults Wackys not mentioned but yeah same thing
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 09:41:19 PM »
A friend of mine, who is about 15 years younger than I am, basically said the same thing. Which is why his guest room and bathroom is stacked to the ceiling with amazon boxes....

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 06:11:30 AM »
"Kidult" seems like a terribly awkward term. Blaaa. Not sure many Wacky collectors fit the profile they outlined, though. I believe many of us collected as children/teens and just kept collecting these past 50 years. After the drought of new Wackies in the early 80s, many of us did benefit from more disposable income that coincidentally came about the same time as the internet. Internet services like Prodigy and America On-line brought chat rooms, etc. that allowed collectors to communicate like never before. Lots of trading between the people I became friends with on the Prodigy service allowing us to fill holes in our collections and share information. Online auction and sales services, like Ebay, also made topping off those collections easier than ever. I guess I see my WP collecting, as more of continuing activity low these many years, rather than a nostalgic trip to the past.  Follow me for more scathing editorials like this.  :P
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 06:30:41 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 07:11:17 AM »
I think the experience of Scoot (and the few other people who collected continuously) is the exception rather than he rule. I think most original wacky buyers of the 70s took a 25 year hiatus and got pulled back in by the internet in the late 90s/early 2000s….

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 07:53:54 AM »
I think the experience of Scoot (and the few other people who collected continuously) is the exception rather than he rule. I think most original wacky buyers of the 70s took a 25 year hiatus and got pulled back in by the internet in the late 90s/early 2000s….

My fabricated outrage of the term "kidult" is exceeded only by my fraudulent amazement at now being labeled a freak!!!  :]
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2023, 08:54:13 AM »
I prefer the term "iconoclast".

And I'm one of those who never stopped collecting - I used the internet in the early 90s to complete 1-16 though I missed out on the original art craze.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2023, 12:13:12 PM »
My fabricated outrage of the term "kidult" is exceeded only by my fraudulent amazement at now being labeled a freak!!!  :]
We're not referring to you as a freak...more of an oddball.  :P

I agree with Paul_Maul, though. I would also think collectors like Scoot and Lavirus are more the exception. I believe RawGoo falls into their category, but I was one who backed away for 25+ years, like Dave mentioned.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023, 01:51:17 PM »
I also fit in here somehow. I never stopped collecting. Even when times were lean, I was still going to sports shows looking for wackys. Weird how I found out about ANS1, was at an Italian Festival in Watkins Glen NY, walked under a sports card tent and asked if he had an Wacky Packages. Bout spat my pants when he pulled out a box of ANS1.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2023, 01:52:29 PM »
pinball

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2023, 01:54:12 PM »
Lets talk about that for second. Is wanting something ever since you were a kid and finally getting it as an adult, cant possibly be the same thing.

Online Joe G.

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2023, 02:50:51 PM »

Jim, don’t know but perhaps Kidult refers to not  out “growing” the things you wanted/did as a kid.  My parents were “adults”, they didn’t participate in “kid” things.  They worked, drank, smoked, gambled, went out dancing on Saturday nights (my grandma came and watched us) read the paper, watched the news and discussed current topics with friends.  Maybe that’s the thing but don’t know for sure.

Lets talk about that for second. Is wanting something ever since you were a kid and finally getting it as an adult, cant possibly be the same thing.

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2023, 08:35:03 AM »
Info all of those  “adult” things Joe G. mentioned. I also collect comic books and Wackys….

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2023, 08:20:09 PM »
I do all of those  “adult” things Joe G. mentioned. I also collect comic books and Wackys….