Author Topic: Wacky Sapphire or ANS set?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Alexeirex

Wacky Sapphire or ANS set?
« on: April 25, 2023, 11:29:47 PM »
If you had a choice, would you rather have a (probably expensive) Wacky Package Sapphire set reusing the first few series or a brand new Wacky set with new art and gags?
Would you rather buy either exclusively from Topps or would you have Target, Walmart and other stores sell these in various formats?

I have been collecting the GPK and Star Wars Sapphire sets and while I like the format, I don't like the price markups. I would like to see Wackys printed on Sapphire stock though....

A

Offline quas

Re: Wacky Sapphire or ANS set?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 12:26:11 AM »
Brand new set, as I'm not seeing anything that special about Sapphire.  But would be fine if they issued Chrome for Original Series 4, 5, and 6.
Marc

Offline mikecho

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 07:47:13 AM »
Brand new set, as I'm not seeing anything that special about Sapphire.  But would be fine if they issued Chrome for Original Series 4, 5, and 6.
I'd like Topps to do that, too. And this time there probably wouldn't have to be any subsets, since they covered all of that in the first series. They could do the refractors, though.

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 07:47:48 AM »
I personally don't see the utility in creating yet another version of the same images that have been around for decades with infinitesimal differences from the ones that came before! I'd prefer an experience that duplicates what I remember as a kid. Going to the local store, buying packs and seeing new cards for the first time. Slowly building a set over time. A retail set is crucial to the long term longevity of Wackys! If kids can't experience them the way we did as tykes, then Wackys will fade out when we do! There are so many hilarious ideas floating around out there! I can't wait to see them printed and sold in packs!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 07:57:17 AM »
You're right about that, too. Maybe retail sales can be done as well as online sales.

Offline drono

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 09:13:15 AM »
I'd prefer an experience that duplicates what I remember as a kid. Going to the local store, buying packs and seeing new cards for the first time. Slowly building a set over time. A retail set is crucial to the long term longevity of Wackys! If kids can't experience them the way we did as tykes, then Wackys will fade out when we do!

I long for those days too, but the times they are a changin'.  I don't think kids do that for anything anymore.

Who's gonna patronize a little bitty two by four kinda store anymore? Gone, gone, gone with the hogshead cask and demijohn, gone with the sugar barrel pickle barrel, milk pan, gone with the tub and the pail and the tierce.

Offline quas

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 09:17:02 AM »
And then you have the people that ransack stores like Target and Walmart at the time of deliveries (well-timed, via research) and buy up everything and resell/flip, so there is little chance for a "pure collector" buyer.  Not always, but enough to be noticeable.  I recall when there were sketch cards partially visible in packs and folks would "feel through" the packs and cherry pick packs with sketch cards. And good point about there being no more "little stores" that would sell these packs.
Marc

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2023, 09:34:23 AM »
The last time I saw a "little store" carrying retail Wackys was ANS3.......  That store also had the lunchbox, back packs and flip flops.

Offline lcummins

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2023, 10:15:15 AM »
Chain convenience stores and big box stores drove out the corner Mom & Pop stores... then convenience stores got the brilliant idea to add gas pumps and drove out the stand alone gas stations... along came cable TV, video games and the internet and kids didn't have time or money for trading cards, monster magazines, model kits and even comics anymore... it's just different growing up these days and I don't think we'll ever see trading cards as popular as they were in the 1960's and 1970's. I'm surprised we even see Topps retail releases at Walmart and Target these days, and except for the odd release like "Stranger Things", those retail releases are comprised almost entirely of "Star Wars", "Wacky Packages", "Garbage Pail Kids" and sports cards... almost nothing else. I'm just thankful Topps can still release stuff online that makes enough money to keep releasing other stuff. I would not be surprised to see the death of non-sport cards entirely before I pass from this world.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2023, 10:26:13 AM »
Well like the box to OS 10 said my answer is “New, New, New”!  Just like when we were kids, there is a unique joy to discovering a new series.  As much as I collect and like re-issues my answer will always be new, new, new.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2023, 10:49:43 AM »
Chain convenience stores and big box stores drove out the corner Mom & Pop stores... then convenience stores got the brilliant idea to add gas pumps and drove out the stand alone gas stations... along came cable TV, video games and the internet and kids didn't have time or money for trading cards, monster magazines, model kits and even comics anymore... it's just different growing up these days and I don't think we'll ever see trading cards as popular as they were in the 1960's and 1970's. I'm surprised we even see Topps retail releases at Walmart and Target these days, and except for the odd release like "Stranger Things", those retail releases are comprised almost entirely of "Star Wars", "Wacky Packages", "Garbage Pail Kids" and sports cards... almost nothing else. I'm just thankful Topps can still release stuff online that makes enough money to keep releasing other stuff. I would not be surprised to see the death of non-sport cards entirely before I pass from this world.
Walmart and Target weren't the only retail stores that released modern Wackys back then. Toys R Us did it as well, years before they recently went broke. These three retail stores were for many years the main and only places to go to get the modern Wacky series, especially their individual bonus boxes which would always have at least half of the Bonus Stickers for each series (the other half would always be in bonus blister packs that were also sold there as well). Depending on which of the three retail stores released both the boxes and the packs (and depending on the series, two of the three would do this and the third one either would or wouldn't), it would usually be five or six bonus stickers for a typical modern Wacky series on average. Walmart and Target always had the boxes and packs no matter what, while Toys R Us was always the one that either would or wouldn't have them (again, depending on the series). As least, that's how I remember it when I was buying them in retail stores and could do so at the time.

Btw, what's Sapphire, a new type of cardstock? This is news to me.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 05:41:16 PM by mikecho »

Offline drono

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2023, 12:01:47 PM »
I would not be surprised to see the death of non-sport cards entirely before I pass from this world.

I guess you haven't attended a card show lately.  The ones I've gone to in the last year had more non-sports dealers than sports card dealers but nothing earlier than 2000.  I think kids and teens have almost completely stopped collecting sports cards and have moved to non-sports.  There are a lot more options, the sets are smaller, the price is lower, and they can be marketed from TV, movies, streaming, etc. 

The adults are the ones mostly collecting the sports cards these days.  The few new school collectors who do are not like us old school "farts." They're not looking to complete sets anymore; they're looking for chasers or certain players that are either slabbed or can be slabbed and buying as an investment, hoping the value will appreciate.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 12:03:29 PM by drono »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2023, 03:39:34 PM »

Btw, what's Sapphire, a new type of cardstock? 

Blue sapphire border pattern

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2023, 04:06:52 PM »
We already had Chrome, and that’s enough of the shiny for me.
Sapphire is strictly a Lottery game, where folks buy just to try and get the tough parallels to sell for $$$.
The last GPK set had 10 different color numbered parallels, from #/125 to 1/1. Ridiculous.

ANS for me.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 04:33:53 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2023, 04:59:38 PM »
Add one vote for retail boxes/packs…..Also of new images…Recent ANS 2023 has me thinking if it aint die-cut, it aint Wackys…

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2023, 06:21:35 PM »
If you had a choice, would you rather have a (probably expensive) Wacky Package Sapphire set reusing the first few series or a brand new Wacky set with new art and gags?
Would you rather buy either exclusively from Topps or would you have Target, Walmart and other stores sell these in various formats?

I have been collecting the GPK and Star Wars Sapphire sets and while I like the format, I don't like the price markups. I would like to see Wackys printed on Sapphire stock though....

A

In terms of the first question, I would go with a new set.  I like the chrome cards, but the sapphire isn't all that appealing to me, even if it weren't priced quite a bit more (not really sure how much that type of card goes for, but I'm assuming it's quite high).

As for the second question, I really like to find them in the wild, but not in a way they can be cherry-picked (though I admit to doing some of that with magnets back in the day).

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2023, 06:23:24 PM »
I would not be surprised to see the death of non-sport cards entirely before I pass from this world.

While you may be right about that, I'm intrigued by how many GPK series/sets I see at Walmart and Target and how many officially licensed GPK products there are compared to Wackys.  It seems like the ratio is about 10:1 GPK:Wackys.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2023, 03:19:57 AM »
I want Chrome S2. Chrome S1 brought us the Altered Art/ Mix-Up Character Subset with new art and 1/1500 pack odds. 9 Cards to collect. Biggest challenge of my collecting career.  I have never heard of another complete set out there besides mine. No interest in Sapphire borders or really ANY border varies. 

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2023, 10:28:57 AM »
If you had a choice, would you rather have a (probably expensive) Wacky Package Sapphire set reusing the first few series or a brand new Wacky set with new …

What I would like, supplied by Topps or other, would be a phone/tablet app with HD images of the cards that could be viewed full screen. Something that would look nice on an iPad.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 05:54:01 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline tommybomb

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2023, 07:02:26 PM »
I was thinking of making an app just like that!

anything