Author Topic: Early precursor to Wacky Packages?  (Read 1002 times)

Offline lcummins

Early precursor to Wacky Packages?
« on: March 30, 2023, 01:22:33 PM »
I research and document Topps issues and save images. I was looking through a set of original artwork images for a set that never made it to production... maybe even never tested. It was called "Nutty Ads" (or at least referred to by that name) and the artwork may be Wally Wood's work. It was being created sometime between 1961 and 1963, because two of the pieces refer to Eisenhower's retirement and Kennedy's move into the White House. It is possible Kennedy's death may have halted production on the issue. I have images of 23 different 'finals' and 1 rough not accounted for in the finals, so the set may have been planned for 24 titles. Anyway, one of the titles is interesting for us Wacky collectors! I won't post all the images, but the two mentioned above and the one of interest!

Anyone have any info on this set or artwork?

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Early precursor to Wacky Packages?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 01:27:04 PM »
Those look pretty similar to the back cover ad parodies run in Mad around the same time…..

Offline lcummins

Re: Early precursor to Wacky Packages?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 01:52:26 PM »
Those look pretty similar to the back cover ad parodies run in Mad around the same time…..

The art was attributed to Topps but it is very possible it was actually Mad or something else. That is why I’m trying to pin it down.

anything