Author Topic: Value Question - Shedd's Full Set  (Read 1798 times)

Offline sirrattles

Value Question - Shedd's Full Set
« on: March 29, 2023, 12:10:55 PM »
Hello All,

I know tough to answer without seeing any pics but any guesses on what a full Shedd's set would be worth assuming Excellent or better condition on 21/22 and VG on 1?  The excellent ones are in really good shape with very clean backs (almost look new and never in a Shedd's bucket) and solid corners.  Not looking to sell, just wondering what the set could be worth as I am going through my collection.  Thanks for any insights.

Matt

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: Value Question - Shedd's Full Set
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 02:03:33 PM »
Hello All,

I know tough to answer without seeing any pics but any guesses on what a full Shedd's set would be worth assuming Excellent or better condition on 21/22 and VG on 1?  The excellent ones are in really good shape with very clean backs (almost look new and never in a Shedd's bucket) and solid corners.  Not looking to sell, just wondering what the set could be worth as I am going through my collection.  Thanks for any insights.

Matt
Long ago I would have said this will clear $3000 easily but lately shedds have been regularly selling for well under $100 each and the ones listed for $149 and such each on ebay have been there for what seems like years.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 04:26:20 PM »
I definitely think the market for stuff like this peaked about 15 years ago. Still a very desirable set, but not like it would have been in 2005-2010.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 06:14:45 PM »
These cards were extremely hard to find and had a lot of value, $200-$300 each - until that guy from Pennsylvania showed up in 2002 with hundreds of cards and placed them on eBay one-by-one for months on end. Eventually the market was oversaturated and they wouldn’t sell even at $50 listing prices.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 06:59:21 PM »
I forgot about that. He didn’t have every title available though, right?

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 08:28:07 PM »
My curiosity is piqued. Where did he get hundreds of these? Was he an employee?

Offline sirrattles

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 12:39:53 PM »
Appreciate all the input!  Thanks all.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 02:47:47 PM »
My curiosity is piqued. Where did he get hundreds of these? Was he an employee?

As I recall, this was a former employee who had somewhere around 1,000 Shedds stickers. I don't know if he was missing any titles; at the time, I thought this would have been enough to make a full set for everyone who wanted one.

The Irish Test set was another find courtesy of an ex-Topps employee. Until 2004, none of us even knew this series existed.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 09:07:22 PM »
I forgot about that. He didn’t have every title available though, right?
I am pretty sure he had half the titles.  11 of them are easy to find where as the other 11 are not that easy. BTW  I need a Commie if someone wants to part with it.
They are still hard to find in really hard grade, so that would be a premium on price.  However there just are not that many people actively trying to complete this set.  It is a labor of love really to get them all.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 12:50:19 AM »
I stopped working on my set.  Mine were never in really high-grade anyway.  But it's one of those elusive sets that are almost impossible if you don't have the time or $, and I don't have either anymore.  I like it WAY better than the Wonderbread or 1979 sets, though, as those are only cut-variations and really not that interesting.  The fact that the Shedd's has the 1977 date on them is really cool.  I sometimes wonder how many of us flipped right past them when examining large stacks of commons at a show, etc.  One day I'll finish mine, but it's only a little better than half way, so I'm not holding my breath.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2023, 03:38:06 AM »
I am pretty sure he had half the titles.  11 of them are easy to find where as the other 11 are not that easy. BTW  I need a Commie if someone wants to part with it.
They are still hard to find in really hard grade, so that would be a premium on price.  However there just are not that many people actively trying to complete this set.  It is a labor of love really to get them all.

What’s the breakdown of easy-to-find vs. difficult-to-find?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2023, 06:13:50 AM »
The set also contains interesting oddities like the Hostage two * copyright and lettering, the Punk’s Hand, Ultra Blight and the missing Koduck bird.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 06:17:14 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2023, 02:07:16 PM »
What’s the breakdown of easy-to-find vs. difficult-to-find?

-- Is the easy/hard breakdown more even after that one dude flooded the market with them?  Or is the disparity way more (if he only had certain titles available and not others).  Seems like the overall price would go way down after that dude flooded eBay with them... but if there were titles he didn't have any of, seems like the price spread would get wider and wider, especially for good condition (as his were all not from Shedd's tins--so I heard).  Would be great to see a list.  And also wondering how many complete sets are out there now.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2023, 02:58:40 PM »
The set also contains interesting oddities like the Hostage two * copyright and lettering, the Punk’s Hand, Ultra Blight and the missing Koduck bird.
By "Ultra Blight", you mean that this Wacky was the poster art and not the sticker art, right? At least, I'm guessing that's what it is.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2023, 03:27:07 PM »
By "Ultra Blight", you mean that this Wacky was the poster art and not the sticker art, right? At least, I'm guessing that's what it is.

It was the wacky ad art rather than the 2nd series sticker art.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2023, 03:32:06 PM »
Now that I look at all of them, is it me, or does the cap appear longer on the wacky ad than on the Shedds sticker? The shadowing on the top of the lids seems different also.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 03:41:02 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2023, 04:00:09 PM »
Now that I look at all of them, is it me, or does the cap appear longer on the wacky ad than on the Shedds sticker? The shadowing on the top of the lids seems different also.

I just did some measuring, and on the Wacky Ad the lid is just about the same length as the word “Ultra.” On the Shedds, the lid is considerably shorter than that word.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2023, 04:27:36 PM »
That might just be an optical conclusion. I think the wacky ad and shedds are different sizes and perspectives, that would influence the appearance of the cap and shadowing.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2023, 04:41:39 PM »
That might just be an optical conclusion. I think the wacky ad and shedds are different sizes and perspectives, that would influence the appearance of the cap and shadowing.

What do you mean different “perspectives?” Either it is the same image or it’s not.

If it has been reduced in size, proportions should remain fixed.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2023, 01:28:39 PM »
What do you mean different “perspectives?” Either it is the same image or it’s not.

If it has been reduced in size, proportions should remain fixed.

Well yes a different perspective of the same object would be considered a different image…
It’s the same principle such that you will have a different perspective from looking down an entire hallway instead of just half of it.

anything