Author Topic: 1-sticker packs?  (Read 2203 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
1-sticker packs?
« on: March 24, 2023, 10:33:35 AM »
So i was playing around with the pack opening simulator on the other Wacky Packages website, just to see how many virtual packs it would take to pull a Pupsi (3) Bandaches (11) or Bum Chex and Choke Wagon (20 packs netted both) Once in a great while, across several different series it said “Sorry, You Got Burned, Only One Sticker!” And gave me one sticker, a checklist, and gum. Does anyone here ever recall getting shorted a sticker in your pack? I realize some mathematician put this glitch into the simulator, but am wondering whether it is based on reality….and yes, i realize i am pretty hard up for entertainment, opening virtual packs, but it actually IS pretty fun..

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: 1-sticker packs?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 10:58:42 AM »
Yeah, I remember opening packs with only one sticker.

Bear in mind the simulator isn’t really realistic because it is picking two random stickers, when in reality the stickers were loaded into packs based on their position on the uncut sheet.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 11:20:15 AM »
So i was playing around with the pack opening simulator on the other Wacky Packages website, just to see how many virtual packs it would take to pull a Pupsi (3) Bandaches (11) or Bum Chex and Choke Wagon (20 packs netted both) Once in a great while, across several different series it said “Sorry, You Got Burned, Only One Sticker!” And gave me one sticker, a checklist, and gum. Does anyone here ever recall getting shorted a sticker in your pack? I realize some mathematician put this glitch into the simulator, but am wondering whether it is based on reality….and yes, i realize i am pretty hard up for entertainment, opening virtual packs, but it actually IS pretty fun..

Yes, I remember getting skunked a few times.  I also remember being VERY indignant that I had been robbed and not gotten my nickel's worth!!!

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 12:26:43 PM »
I am not great at math, but are you saying Paul Maul that the same two stickers usually or even always, appeared in the same pack together?

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 12:38:48 PM »
" REPOST "

Oh, 1 other point. My very first pack of Wackys was a 3rd series pack. And it had only 1 sticker in the pack, (it was crackola). I really remember making a big stink about this cause my sisters pack had 2 stickers. (and by big stink i mean cry). lol  :D         

Can anyone else remember their first pull?
By pull i mean Wacky!
And by Wacky i mean the stickers.
And by stickers i dont mean stuck together.

(insert puns) as needed

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 12:47:56 PM »
I am not great at math, but are you saying Paul Maul that the same two stickers usually or even always, appeared in the same pack together?

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by that. I am saying that the two stickers within a given pack are related by their positions on the uncut sheet (via a knight’s move pattern). A picture is worth 1000 words. So if you can see one sticker through the pack you can have a pretty good idea what the other one is.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 01:06:19 PM »
Got it. We were probably too naïve (or at least I was) as kids, to figure out placements on the sheet or even placement patterns within the packs,  but it’s fun to try and remember….
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 01:59:19 PM by JailOJohn »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 05:56:42 PM »
I thought the knight’s move only applied to strictly tan-back sets. Is that not the case?

Pinball

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 06:01:41 PM »
I thought the knight’s move only applied to strictly tan-back sets. Is that not the case?

No, it applies to all sets.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2023, 06:53:52 PM »

Pinball
I called this out when killing series 16 packs so definitely applied to white backed stickers too.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2023, 09:18:06 AM »
Does anyone here ever recall getting shorted a sticker in your pack?

I also remember getting only one sticker in a pack a couple times. I believe it was series 3 or 4. My mom, who was pretty good at complaining, encouraged me to write a letter to Topps, which I did. Topps sent back a letter, that I still have somewhere, explaining that this sometimes happens, and they included 3 6th series stickers. I remember being disappointed that the Wackys were from the 6th series since I had completed that series by then.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2023, 10:54:50 AM »
The good old days when people actually read and responded to correspondence. I sent Topps a letter at the end of the 1974 season complaining that my set was one card short - Jim Campanis - and I just couldn’t get one after buying hundreds of packs.

They sent me a nice response along with the Campanis card.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2023, 01:00:21 PM »
The good old days when people actually read and responded to correspondence. I sent Topps a letter at the end of the 1974 season complaining that my set was one card short - Jim Campanis - and I just couldn’t get one after buying hundreds of packs.

Charlie Brown should have tried this after he couldn't get that elusive Joe Shlabotnik.

I don't recall any one-sticker packs. The way I remember it, many packs had three cards. This happened so often that when I read in the Summer Weekly Reader (pictured in the Gallery) that the stickers were packaged "usually two at a time," it didn't sound right. OTOH, the store charged us ten cents per pack instead of a nickel. Strange doings.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2023, 01:18:54 PM »

Ah yes, those were the days.  I remember Hallmark responding to me when there was a Lucy Christmas ornament in a Charlie Brown set that I couldn't get because the store sold them in the wrong week.  They responded to my letter with an apology and the ornament I was missing.  Very classy, and good customer relations.  I later spent a lot of money on their collectible ornaments!!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2023, 01:20:22 PM »
MSRP

Suggested

The Price Is Right

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2023, 01:25:59 PM »
Charging double sounds pretty greedy…

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2023, 02:17:26 PM »
Charlie Brown should have tried this after he couldn't get that elusive Joe Shlabotnik.
I vaguely remember this from one of my childhood Peanuts paperbacks. Didn’t he say he got like five Marv Throneberrys?

It’s rare for me to remember specific newspaper comic strips, even favorites.  Just too much material over the years, relatively bland humor, etc.   One exception is The Far Side.  Those are so off the wall that they’ve stuck in my head for decades.  Kind of like favorite Seinfeld episodes - unlike anything made before or since.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2023, 04:42:13 PM »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2023, 04:44:09 PM »