Author Topic: 2023 Wacky Packages  (Read 27406 times)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: 2023 Wacky Packages
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2023, 11:47:26 AM »
Time for more comic relief...

Very cool!

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2023, 12:18:59 PM »

Does anyone really find the parallels fun?  Maybe the GPK folks who are rainbow collectors.

;D
But who finds the silver parallels fun?

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2023, 02:47:21 PM »
So my situation is a little different but as I often had just one or two Wackys in a set I really enjoyed chasing down the parallels of my cards.  It was a great way to fill a page and see fun variations on the look of the painting.  I would think parallels give collectors an added dimension to collecting the set if they choose to chase ‘em.  If not you still have the base to enjoy set so all good.

;D
But who finds the silver parallels fun?

Offline quas

« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2023, 02:55:23 PM »
Yep, just a matter of personal preference.
Marc

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2023, 04:20:08 PM »
So my situation is a little different but as I often had just one or two Wackys in a set I really enjoyed chasing down the parallels of my cards.  It was a great way to fill a page and see fun variations on the look of the painting.  I would think parallels give collectors an added dimension to collecting the set if they choose to chase ‘em.  If not you still have the base to enjoy set so all good.

Question is Joe, would you collect them if there're  not your art?

Jim

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2023, 04:47:50 PM »
Jim, well I did collect them before I started working on Wackys.  I think for awhile we all did.  Remember Flashback 1 and ANS 7. Now maybe at the time they were new and a novelty and I think, most or at least a fair number of collectors had fun chasing them.  I have parallel sets for every retail set (that had ‘em) for sure.  It’s hard to speculate but I think at a minimum I would find my favorite card from the set and have a, what did we call it, a Royal Flush I think, of it.  Certainly having a card in the set directed my collecting but did it change it significantly, I’m honestly not sure, maybe, maybe not.

Question is Joe, would you collect them if there're  not your art?

Jim

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2023, 07:48:13 PM »
J Now maybe at the time they were new and a novelty and I think, most or at least a fair number of collectors had fun chasing them.

Even though I never really collected parallels, I would enjoy collecing one representative sample of every color (except maybe gold).  But even then, it was just early on.  I'll never knock someone for collecting what they like, but I do knock Topps for acting like they're giving collectors (the vast majority, at any rate) what they want when they act like color bordered parallels are something most of us long for.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2023, 08:08:20 PM »
Well considering that Topps hasn’t given Wacky collectors colored borders in three years, I’m not sure they’re acting like it’s something the majority of collectors are longing for.  Honestly I don’t know why the silver borders were added to this set and if Topps is reading this maybe they won’t be again but perhaps with the idea of this being an ANS type release it was just as a nod to what was in past sets.

Even though I never really collected parallels, I would enjoy collecing one representative sample of every color (except maybe gold).  But even then, it was just early on.  I'll never knock someone for collecting what they like, but I do knock Topps for acting like they're giving collectors (the vast majority, at any rate) what they want when they act like color bordered parallels are something most of us long for.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #148 on: March 18, 2023, 02:51:56 AM »
Thanks!  That link worked.

I did see Norm's name mentioned, but not Jay's.  I wonder who the audience for this site/page is.

No Jay mention is monumentally wrong. They should fix that asap.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: March 18, 2023, 03:27:07 AM »
No Jay mention is monumentally wrong. They should fix that asap.

All I could think about was him saying "5000 sketches!!"

Offline Swiski

« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2023, 04:36:50 AM »

That's what I did. When the Lightsabers (Lifesavers) parody was in ANS, I made a goal to get all of the parallels for that one, even the gold. Mainly because it's a rare time you see a Star Wars parody, and that's my other passion.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2023, 05:18:53 AM »
Well considering that Topps hasn’t given Wacky collectors colored borders in three years, I’m not sure they’re acting like it’s something the majority of collectors are longing for.  Honestly I don’t know why the silver borders were added to this set and if Topps is reading this maybe they won’t be again but perhaps with the idea of this being an ANS type release it was just as a nod to what was in past sets.

I hear what you're saying.  I do wonder if Topps has ever made an honest attempt to ask WP collectors what they want in a series.  I know some of you artists pass along our suggestions, and I appreciate that.  I don't know how well Topps listens.  I sure wish we'd see more magnets, clings, and lenticular cards. 

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2023, 05:19:10 AM »
I have something you can add to that collection! I drew the original rough for it, and can send you a scan of it!

Offline dth1971

« Reply #153 on: March 18, 2023, 06:29:10 AM »
When I saw the checklist of what 50 stickers will be in the 2023 Wacky Packages set, one of the entries - "Gluey" - will be a take off of the preschool aimed cartoon "Bluey", I guess.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: March 18, 2023, 09:25:16 AM »
When I saw the checklist of what 50 stickers will be in the 2023 Wacky Packages set, one of the entries - "Gluey" - will be a take off of the preschool aimed cartoon "Bluey", I guess.
yes, that's exactly what it is.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #155 on: March 18, 2023, 11:15:22 AM »
Steve, great title and, I think, the only official Star Wars Wacky.  Very cool and seemingly not to be repeated!

That's what I did. When the Lightsabers (Lifesavers) parody was in ANS, I made a goal to get all of the parallels for that one, even the gold. Mainly because it's a rare time you see a Star Wars parody, and that's my other passion.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2023, 05:11:40 PM »
I did want to mention that Patrick has been doing an amazing job filling in the Master List thread for this set.  For those who don’t mind spoilers, he has found card art for 35 of the 50 cards and he tells me he’s soon to add sketch examples from 11 of the sketch artists.  Definitely worth a look and if you’re still on the fence about purchasing some, definitely a nice to see what’s in store.

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2023, 06:50:04 PM »
I did want to mention that Patrick has been doing an amazing job filling in the Master List thread for this set.  For those who don’t mind spoilers, he has found card art for 35 of the 50 cards and he tells me he’s soon to add sketch examples from 11 of the sketch artists.  Definitely worth a look and if you’re still on the fence about purchasing some, definitely a nice to see what’s in store.
Thanks Joe!

Master List is now updated to have two segments - first part is for all the base card info and images, and the second part is for examples of sketch cards from the artists.

The sketch card post is already getting really loaded up with images, as there are a LOT of sketches in this release.
There's enough of them to have a sketch card in every 5-pack.
Pretty good deal to get 50 base cards plus a Sketch (and a bunch of other chase cards), for $90.

Link to the Master List
http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=6786.0

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2023, 10:35:25 AM »
I just noticed this is shown as "Sold Out" on the website.  Hope everyone got their orders in!!

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2023, 10:57:46 AM »
I just noticed this is shown as "Sold Out" on the website.  Hope everyone got their orders in!!
Great news!
Looks like the 1 box option is still available. For the moment.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2023, 11:15:55 AM »
Great news!
Looks like the 1 box option is still available. For the moment.

Just came back to update my post - Topps sent an email including Wackys, and there are at least 50 single boxes left.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #161 on: March 22, 2023, 08:56:16 AM »
Even though I put in a good order I'm still curious how long are the cards for sale? Is it a time issue or quantity issue?

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2023, 09:02:05 AM »
Even though I put in a good order I'm still curious how long are the cards for sale? Is it a time issue or quantity issue?
First time in a long time that there’s no countdown clock for a Wacky release.

It’s great to finally see something without an arbitrary cutoff on sales.

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #163 on: March 22, 2023, 09:09:12 AM »
But when do they actually "sell out?" When they run out of chasers? I bought 5 boxes for $90, not expecting to get a complete set, hopefully I should be able to trade or buy my way to a full set. But Members like Bluedevilok spent $360 to $400 (depending on whether he or she bought individual boxes or 5-box packs) and if I had spent that kind of money, I would be extremely peeved if I did not get a full set. Chasing and trading is fun, but if it is too expensive, or borderline unattainable, collectors will give up. I agree with all of the posters who say different colored borders are not worth chasing, sketch cards or comics or ads are...

Offline quas

« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2023, 04:00:25 AM »
Already the "flippers" have started posting the boxes on ebay.  "Pre-order".
Marc

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2023, 12:32:36 PM »
$53 for a $20 box or $150 for a $90 multi-pack? No thank you. If its someone taking out the chasers and sketch cards and selling the regular titles they dont want, I am less appalled. This appears to be someone  buying a $20 box, adding no value nor subtracting anything, and trying to re-sell the exact same box for $53. Boo! But this is America, and a person is free to ask whatever price they want. Who knows, maybe some rich person was out of the  country the past week and missed out and is willing to pay that….

Offline Swiski

« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2023, 03:39:42 PM »
$53 for a $20 box or $150 for a $90 multi-pack? No thank you. If its someone taking out the chasers and sketch cards and selling the regular titles they dont want, I am less appalled. This appears to be someone  buying a $20 box, adding no value nor subtracting anything, and trying to re-sell the exact same box for $53. Boo! But this is America, and a person is free to ask whatever price they want. Who knows, maybe some rich person was out of the  country the past week and missed out and is willing to pay that….

And knowing scalpers these days, they are finding creative ways to sell items that they list as "brand new and sealed" but are tampered with.

They develop techniques to carefully open the boxes to examine the contents. If it didn't have a sketch card, they reseal it and sell it.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #167 on: March 23, 2023, 03:59:06 PM »
What you see is the separation between an enthusiast who enjoys the hobby and someone who looks at the franchise as just an easy way to make some money.

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: March 23, 2023, 07:49:39 PM »
I noticed that the single boxes are now sold out as well. Good to see.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2023, 07:51:03 AM »
Interesting. They used to only sell for one week…and selling by quantity this time lasted either 7 or 8 days…

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2023, 09:11:07 AM »
Me too, I get no notifications from Topps at all any more

Same here. I opted out about a year ago due to being flooded with emails about baseball cards and other things I care nothing about. Too bad we can't opt in for Wacky Packages info only.

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2023, 09:20:29 AM »
I was happy to see the announcement of a new series.  But, like others, am conflicted about what I will buy.  I'm a completist and would buy the 5 box option if I knew I'd get a full base set (and some inserts).  And while trading in person is fun, I"m not such a fan of having to do extensive trading through the mail (too time-consuming and expensive with postage unless it's just for a couple cards).  I'm guessing/hoping Topps, or the artists on this forum, will share some more info to help inform my decision.  If nothing else, I may just buy a base set on ebay.  In any case (and I'm sorry if this sounds negative), how this set is being sold is not how I would wish it to be done (ideally, in packs at retail with a decent shot to complete a base set without spending tons).  Also, I like the sketch cards and comics a lot, but rainbow foil and silver parallel do nothing for me.

I'm with you. I usually just wait for the smoke to clear a little, then go to ebay and buy what I want.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #172 on: March 26, 2023, 04:17:02 PM »
I'm with you. I usually just wait for the smoke to clear a little, then go to ebay and buy what I want.

I took a leap of faith pre-ordering the 5-box bundle. Crossing fingers the collation is organized where we get one base set. 

Either way, I can't imagine base sets selling for under $75, unless there are a lot of them listed where sellers get desperate and continue lowering their prices.

Hopefully I can get some of my money back selling the coupon cards, silver parallels and sketch card...if I'm extremely lucky! I have a feeling that a very few of us are going to want to complete the silver parallel set. I can predict those selling on eBay for low prices.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 04:19:21 PM by Swiski »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2023, 02:54:59 AM »
I think base sets will be $39.99.

Andrew

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2023, 05:24:50 AM »
I think base sets will be $39.99.

Andrew
There’s a seller on eBay asking $100. Way too high, but they are the only listing at the moment. Hope no one actually falls for that