Author Topic: Most $$$ you've spent on a single Wacky?  (Read 7049 times)

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
Most $$$ you've spent on a single Wacky?
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:04:24 PM »
Ok, I just spent the most $$$ I've ever spent on a single Wacky, but I feel like I got a great deal. I've been wanting one card from the 1981 Irish Test Set forever, and this one was very high on my list (I didn't think I'd ever actually find one):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400146272683

I'm interested to know from you Wacky Veterans out there if you would agree (I'm freaking out a bit actually!), and also I'd like to hear your story of the most $$$ (or bartered goods (other than sexual favors)) you've spent on a single Wacky. Pics too please if you can.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Most $$$ you've spent on a single Wacky?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 10:14:48 PM »
I'm not sure if your money was spent wisely so others need to chime in but I did buy an ANS7 sketch for $1000. That, to me, is extreme!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 11:18:20 PM »

I'm interested to know from you Wacky Veterans out there if you would agree (I'm freaking out a bit actually!), and also I'd like to hear your story of the most $$$ (or bartered goods (other than sexual favors)) you've spent on a single Wacky. Pics too please if you can.

The most I can remember ever spending an a single official Topp's Wacky Package item is about $130. But you have to keep the following things in mind...

1) I did most of my original series 1 thru 16 collecting before 1985 and had actually collected most of these when they first came
    out in stores. Prices where much different for items back then (mid-80s) than now. Some items that are considered scarce
    now,  seemed to be available in plenty then, such as series 16 titles.

2) I am a tight wad

3) I still have holes in my Die Cut and Poster collections (I don't own the rare, limited release titles... probably never will).

4) I am a tight wad

5) I prefer to trade whenever possible rather than make cash transactions. This is not to say I haven't done eBay proud over the
    years. My early days of trading on Prodigy probably netted me over 75% of what I didn't already have in my collection at that
    point in time.

6) Did I mention that I am a tight wad

7) I am not usually a completist. For example, I don't have a full set of both colored ludlow backs, etc. I am generally happy to  
    have one of each of these type of variations in my collection as an example.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 11:20:24 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 01:01:46 AM »
Ok, I just spent the most $$$ I've ever spent on a single Wacky, but I feel like I got a great deal. I've been wanting one card from the 1981 Irish Test Set forever, and this one was very high on my list (I didn't think I'd ever actually find one):

The most I've paid so far for a Wacky was $260 for another rare Irish sticker, Kill. I posted a pic in the "This Week in Your Collection" thread not long ago. I tend to pay bigger bucks for other Wacky items instead. Boxes, art, the Gadzooka Wacky truck, Jay Lynch's fingernail clippings, etc.

Online bigtomi

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 07:32:36 AM »
Ok, I just spent the most $$$ I've ever spent on a single Wacky, but I feel like I got a great deal.

I would say that you may have overpaid a bit for that, but not excessively so. After all, it is a more desirable title from a rare set...

To my recollection, the most I paid for a single sticker was $225 for a PSA 7 Band-Ache whiteback.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 07:48:01 AM »

I have good experience with the Irish Test series.  I have a complete set and I bought several packs and did several deals to complete it.  You got a very good deal on this one!  Besides Kill I would say that Porkies is the 2nd most desirable in the set, and it was certainly one of the hardest to find in the packs.  I would say
that one is worth at least $750.00 so like I said you should feel very good about it.  If it was the "proof" card with no die-cut score it would be a different story.

The most I spent was $5,500.00 for both Ratz and Cracked Die-cuts, so like $2,750.00 each. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 09:01:24 AM »
  If it was the "proof" card with no die-cut score it would be a different story.
a different story in what way? do you consider the proof cards more, or less, valuable?

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 09:07:10 AM »
I have good experience with the Irish Test series.  I have a complete set and I bought several packs and did several deals to complete it.  You got a very good deal on this one!  Besides Kill I would say that Porkies is the 2nd most desirable in the set, and it was certainly one of the hardest to find in the packs.  I would say
that one is worth at least $750.00 so like I said you should feel very good about it.  If it was the "proof" card with no die-cut score it would be a different story.

The most I spent was $5,500.00 for both Ratz and Cracked Die-cuts, so like $2,750.00 each. 

I assume we are not discussing art, boxes and the like because I have spent 5 figures on art and have purchased many collections in the thousands(especially several diecut collections). For a single card, my record might be the Bandache test sticker at like $250.  I am pretty contained when it comes to spending big $ on a single sticker, sketch and the like.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 09:58:50 AM »
Thanks, guys. Excellent feedback all.

Plan 9: I cannot find that thread? Can you post a link?

Dr Popper: Awesome. A complete set of them -- holy cow. Have a feeling there aren't many complete sets in existence? Doglix and PigLips are also on my list (I like Kill for the rarity, but my wife probably wouldn't be thrilled with the sticker).

Bandaches: I've never heard of a Bandaches test sticker?!? Do you have a pic somewhere?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 01:37:34 PM »
Thanks, guys. Excellent feedback all.

Plan 9: I cannot find that thread? Can you post a link?

Dr Popper: Awesome. A complete set of them -- holy cow. Have a feeling there aren't many complete sets in existence? Doglix and PigLips are also on my list (I like Kill for the rarity, but my wife probably wouldn't be thrilled with the sticker).

Bandaches: I've never heard of a Bandaches test sticker?!? Do you have a pic somewhere?

I'm surprised you don't see the thread. It's popping to the top of the list all the time. This link should take you to it.
http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=53.0

Online dth1971

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 02:17:34 PM »
$40 on a Pupsi Cola original 10th. series Wacky Packages sticker.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 02:47:09 PM »
I'm surprised you don't see the thread. It's popping to the top of the list all the time. This link should take you to it.
http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=53.0

I knew it was around but could not find it and searching didn't reveal it. User error. ;)

VX HYPERSPACE

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 02:57:52 PM »

It’s the Topps Wacky Packages original paintings that I’m hooked on!  :D :D

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 05:47:25 PM »
a different story in what way? do you consider the proof cards more, or less, valuable?

The proof cards are less valuable, but interestingly they are identical to the pack pulled ones except for the lack of scoring.  Same exact paper stock and everything.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 05:49:42 PM »
I assume we are not discussing art, boxes and the like because I have spent 5 figures on art and have purchased many collections in the thousands(especially several diecut collections). For a single card, my record might be the Bandache test sticker at like $250.  I am pretty contained when it comes to spending big $ on a single sticker, sketch and the like.

Didn't you have a Ratz or Cracked at one point?  I thought I remember saying you had one but sold it a while ago?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 05:52:08 PM »

I probably will never have either. I also said that about series 16's  so you never know.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 05:54:18 PM »

I believe there are 4 complete sets.  I know of 3 for sure and I believe a 4th was completed over the last year!  Kill has been the toughest one to get......Pig Lips is quite a bit easier.  I had 3 Pig Lips at one point but no extra Kills.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 06:00:13 PM »
I believe there are 4 complete sets.  I know of 3 for sure and I believe a 4th was completed over the last year!  Kill has been the toughest one to get......Pig Lips is quite a bit easier.  I had 3 Pig Lips at one point but no extra Kills.

LOL, I wonder if that means those of us still holding unopened packs are more likely to have a Kill in there?

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »
I think the most I spent was about $130 for a complete Series 14. Still building on Series 15 and 16.
also spent some years back $130 for 10 wacky posters in great condition. This is also a set I'm still working on.

Online bigtomi

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 08:32:35 PM »
I had 3 Pig Lips at one point...
Sorry to hear this, maybe you should see a doctor...

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 08:52:02 PM »
I think the most I spent was about $130 for a complete Series 14. Still building on Series 15 and 16.
also spent some years back $130 for 10 wacky posters in great condition. This is also a set I'm still working on.
Just single wackys only. Were trying to figure out the cheap bastards :D

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 09:20:04 PM »
Just single wackys only. Were trying to figure out the cheap bastards :D

:welcome:

Here's me at the cheap bastard party.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 10:11:55 PM »
Didn't you have a Ratz or Cracked at one point?  I thought I remember saying you had one but sold it a while ago?
I have had several of each, never bought them by themselves, always obtained them as part of collections.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 03:28:45 AM »
:welcome:

Here's me at the cheap bastard party.

I'm one of the guys holding the banner.  I think the most I ever paid for a single Wacky was $10.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2010, 06:55:51 PM »
Here's mine.

I’m 97.5% sure this is the sticker I bought from Greg in 2004 for $145 when I went on a Ludlow binge and spent about $800 on some reds and blacks.
(Thanks to the Wayback Machine, you can go back in time and view Greg’s old pages and for stuff for sale.)

[expando]http://web.archive.org/web/20040825005539/http://www.wackypackages.org/forsale/luds/lavirus_black.jpg[/expando]

I sold them all to forum members when my gold coin buying addiction overtook my high end Wacky collecting. Maybe someone here has a super sweet red Ludlow Crust ? ? ? That one still occupies a corner of my heart. PM me if you would consider trading for a gold Sovereign. I’m the old Cult 45

Here are the scans of Greg’s "Luds" for sale at the time
http://web.archive.org/web/20040825005539/www.wackypackages.org/forsale/luds/
An old front page
http://web.archive.org/web/20031213212223/http://www.wackypackages.org/

And I wonder what Greg thinks of this now?

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 11:52:32 AM »
I can't recall the most money I have ever spent on a single sticker.  The most I ever spent on one Wacky 'item' was a series 16 full box for $5,500 about 3-4 years ago.  Like Ernie, I tend to buy things in large groups or lots, so it is hard to tell what you spend for one sticker.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 05:45:20 PM »
Like Ernie, I tend to buy things in large groups or lots ...
I wish members would occasionally share some of their more “interesting” acquisition stories, no matter if they are 25 years old. I’d like to hear a few. I’ve always been interested in how you all run into these big collections. If I visited a backwater town in Montana or South Carolina, would I see your's and Ernie’s advertisement in the local paper, requesting people call you if they stumble onto bundles of Wacky Packages in a shoebox in their closet?

I like stories, let’s hear more stories.