Author Topic: Wacky Package Handbooks vs. WP Gallery  (Read 1672 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Wacky Package Handbooks vs. WP Gallery
« on: June 15, 2023, 11:01:22 AM »
I own a copy of the Wacky Packages Gallery softcover book from 2000, which is very informative. I have used it so much the pages are falling out. What is the difference between the Gallery and the two handbooks from 1996 and 1998. All three books were put out by the same two men. The only info on Greg’s web site is a cover photo of the two handbooks. Were they just earlier editions printing the same info? I have also never seen “The Beat Goes On” book…i DID find brief mention of the Gallery in one thread on this forum from 2016, but that is it. Do members still use the Gallery as the Wacky compendium????

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Wacky Package Handbooks vs. WP Gallery
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 02:15:53 PM »
I own a copy of the Wacky Packages Gallery softcover book from 2000, which is very informative. I have used it so much the pages are falling out. What is the difference between the Gallery and the two handbooks from 1996 and 1998. All three books were put out by the same two men. The only info on Greg’s web site is a cover photo of the two handbooks. Were they just earlier editions printing the same info? I have also never seen “The Beat Goes On” book…i DID find brief mention of the Gallery in one thread on this forum from 2016, but that is it. Do members still use the Gallery as the Wacky compendium????

Personally I use Greg’s site more than the Gallery. The name of the book suggests its primary purpose is the photos, and they are great. It’s got plenty of good information, and if you are not an anal nut it is mostly accurate.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 02:33:19 PM »

I have both of the handbooks, The Beat Goes On, and The Gallery.  The only one I use now is The Gallery - I have one copy in both locations where I spend my time, and a few extras for people who might ask for them, or me when the pages eventually fall out of mine.  The Beat Goes On is basically good for checklists, in my opinion.  As a price guide, it is useless.

I believe there is more than one brief mention here about The Gallery, but maybe I am remembering Greg's forum??  I recall much complaining about the backgrounds used for the Wackys.  I don't care for them myself, but they don't detract from the fact that the book has nice pics of just about everything!  I use it as a quick reference guide, but Greg's site has more information.

There is also the hardcover book that was "put out" by someone here.  That's great, but it used a lot of material without giving any credit, and is heavy to pull out for something quick.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 02:36:52 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 03:11:27 PM »
The only thing to be careful of with the Gallery is that a lot of photoshopping was used to create some the images, so items depicted do not necessarily exist exactly as shown.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2023, 07:09:48 PM »
How about new Wacky Packages coffee table books or encyclopedias, where each sticker is featured on it's own page? It could have a clear image of the sticker (like the Abrams books), a photo of the real product that it's based on, and a sidebar of facts about the sticker. The facts would include when the sticker made it's first appearance, how many times it was reprinted and what series, and little known facts (if any). An included price guide wouldn't make sense because prices always fluctuate.

I know Greg's site accomplishes all of this already, but this would be cool to have a book series that is a step above the Abrams books, AND would complete the original 16 series, plus the die-cuts, Wacky Ads, The Irish Set, and more.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 04:38:44 AM »
Another book would be great. However, there are probably few enough of us collectors at this point that the prospect is not very appealing to a large publisher…
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 04:48:07 AM by JailOJohn »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 04:42:04 AM »
Another book would be great. However, there are probably few enough of us collectors at this point thst the prospect is not very appealing to a large publisher…

It would have to cost like $800. This is what websites are for, serving tiny niche audiences.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2023, 07:52:42 AM »
Here's the link to the thread (and the book) I mentioned.  For the book, there were discount codes mentioned, but it was 7 years ago.....

https://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=4593.msg80001#msg80001

http://www.lulu.com/shop/mick-cuddy/wacky-packages-reference-guide-volume-1/hardcover/product-22709890.html

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2023, 12:28:39 PM »
Is there any particular reason they have never released a newer edition of the handbook over the last 23 years? I know only ANS material has been released since 2000, but there IS new information and also tons of ANS material that has been released…

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2023, 01:20:29 PM »
Is there any particular reason they have never released a newer edition of the handbook over the last 23 years? I know only ANS material has been released since 2000, but there IS new information and also tons of ANS material that has been released…
Yes, the internet.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2023, 04:33:25 PM »
Damn you, Internet!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2023, 05:09:16 AM »
What is the difference between the Gallery and the two handbooks from 1996 and 1998.
I would say the handbooks were intended for collectors who were at or near completing a 1-16 run plus Ads, Die-Cuts, posters, etc. but didn’t necessarily know a lot of the technical information such as box and wrapper codes, printing frequency of titles on uncut sheets, pulled and/or replaced titles, etc.  Not a lot of emphasis on visuals, in fact there were only a few color pages of images in each edition.  Conversely, the Gallery was a more comprehensive color visual guide to every series, box, wrapper, most of the uncut sheets, etc.  For a collector like myself who decided not to try and complete everything, it was a great resource to fill in those blanks.  It probably inspired me to finish a couple more sets, but not the tougher, pricier ones.  Lastly The Beat Goes On was an exciting first acquisition for me as it answered my basic initial question of what titles were in each series, but beyond that a really simple and dated guide, as Pat mentioned.