Author Topic: Forum Members' Teen/Amateur Wacky Packages  (Read 8810 times)

Offline Swiski

Re: Forum Members' Teen/Amateur Wacky Packages
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2023, 07:42:56 AM »
Another awesome batch! JIP peanut butter is one of my favorites from Dave Gross, and you were ahead of the curve.

Speaking of Wacky Packages predictions...when I was a kid, my favorite parodies were the cigarette parodies. When I looked at all the brands out there, I was surprised there wasn't a Bent cigarettes parody yet. Then when they made one in the 4th series, I was blown away!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2023, 12:18:29 PM »
As a big fan of Zotz back in 5th and 6th grades, I gotta like the Rotz parody. I also like the ones where you add a little extra to the name.  I think that shows some cleverness on your part, like PigPenzoil and Insani-Flush. Although, that last one wouldn't fly today for sure. I think the '70s was a time of conflicting free speech and expression. It seems like the print media was pretty open with publications like National Lampoon and even MAD getting away with quite a bit. On the other hand, radio and TV were still very strictly regulated. One thing I regret... we used to throw the words retard and retarded around as insults to one another and anything we thought was dumb. I wish I had been a little more PC back then. 
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2023, 01:23:05 PM »
Paul just superb!  All I can say is I want a Big Jip action figure!

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2023, 10:10:37 PM »
How many series did you draw in total?

I was about 1/3 of the way through Series 10 when homework started to consume more time.  The first 4 series were done in about a year, and then I tapered off the next couple of years.  All of them were done in about a 4-year period.

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2023, 10:14:02 PM »
I also see some I may want to redo for potential future Wackys too. With future releases of Wackys so up in the air, this is the best show in town right now!

I'm glad I can fill a hole in the Wacky void right now.  And Roughwriter, you already have my permission to fly with any of these ideas you think you can use...although some of these products don't even exist anymore.

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2023, 10:16:45 PM »
I was surprised there wasn't a Bent cigarettes parody yet. Then when they made one in the 4th series, I was blown away!

I know how that feels; i had the same feeling when I saw some of my Wacky ideas pop up in a future series!  Wacky minds think alike.....

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2023, 10:24:11 PM »
I think the '70s was a time of conflicting free speech and expression. It seems like the print media was pretty open with publications like National Lampoon and even MAD getting away with quite a bit. On the other hand, radio and TV were still very strictly regulated.

Yes, the '70s were still coming out of the wild and free '60s but I think the Norman Lear comedies were making society take a closer look at its insensitivities. By the way, I bought Mad magazines all the time when I was a kid.  My mother let me buy them, but she obviously didn't know what kind of magazine it was.  She just knew that it was a comic book, probably like my Dennis the Menace and Charlie Brown books.  Reading Mad magazine on a regular basis definitely enhanced my appreciation for satire and my ability to write it.

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2023, 10:26:36 PM »
Paul just superb!  All I can say is I want a Big Jip action figure!

Unfortunately, I don't have a 3D printer....ha!  But thanks for the compliment.  I'm glad you liked that one, definitely a throwback to the '70s.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2023, 05:40:07 PM »
Swiski,

AWESOME Roughs - I would love to see the ones your blurred out - too many people are too sensitive in my opinion.  Can you imagine the Jeffersons and All in the Family on TV today!!!!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2023, 05:41:04 PM »
Swiski,

AWESOME Roughs - I would love to see the ones your blurred out - too many people are too sensitive in my opinion.  Can you imagine the Jeffersons and All in the Family on TV today!!!!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline Swiski

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2023, 04:40:20 AM »
Swiski,

Richard
#StayWacky

Thanks! I wish I spent more time tightening all of those up back in the day. Both of the ones I blurred out were both related to gay jokes. One was Gay-Free mini pads and the other was Gay's potato chips. The jokes weren't hateful, but I still didn't want to offend anyone here.

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2023, 12:36:53 PM »
Sorry you had to wait a week for another posting; it's been a busy week for me.  Here is Series 7.  I hope you enjoy them, revel in some nostalgia, and get a few giggles.
Paul

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2023, 01:31:24 PM »
Sorry you had to wait a week for another posting; it's been a busy week for me.  Here is Series 7.  I hope you enjoy them, revel in some nostalgia, and get a few giggles.
Paul

Absolutely fantastic!  "Barburst".... love it!
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Swiski

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2023, 02:19:44 PM »
Paul

Your drawings get tighter with each series you created! Another amazing batch!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2023, 04:17:18 PM »
Paul you continue to amaze!  Several laugh out load moments in these!  ‘Finger Sharpener’ is a truly inspired touch and right out of the times.  I wonder if kids today still try and shove their fingers into pencil sharpeners or if classrooms still even have pencil sharpeners today?

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2023, 09:56:32 AM »
My series 7 faves… Oozy Qs,  Corny Blex, and Balding Balls.

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2023, 01:22:40 PM »
I truly appreciate all the kind comments about these series!  I enjoy reading which particular ones you related to and enjoyed the most.  Now, I present Series 8 while you wait for your All-New Series 2023 to arrive in the mail.  Again, I had to chop up the images to delete a couple I think are insensitive in the current social climate.

Around this time is when Topps started the magazine subsets, so some magazines are included here.  Also, in my teenage mind, I thought if there could be a magazine subset, why not a record album subset?  So, for the first time I can remember, here are the first Wacky Packages based on LP's from the '70s (or before).  Enjoy!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2023, 01:31:11 PM »
Paul, once again a joy to behold.  So best album gotta be Putrid Family with their hit “I think I hate you” I’m still cracking up over that one!  Best traditional Wacky for some reason Job Squid jumps out at me but I’m also a big fan of Gorry so a toss up there.  Best Wacky Magazine well MOD of course.  Also 2 Alfred E. appearances in one set!  Too cool!

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2023, 01:58:10 PM »
My Series 8 faves:  Blizzard, Gorry and Old Mold Regretzels   Love the word play on that last one,

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2023, 03:02:34 PM »
OK, this is fun Now I gotta post mine from my childhood:

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2023, 04:29:41 PM »
I truly appreciate all the kind comments about these series!  I enjoy reading which particular ones you related to and enjoyed the most.  Now, I present Series 8 while you wait for your All-New Series 2023 to arrive in the mail.  Again, I had to chop up the images to delete a couple I think are insensitive in the current social climate.

Around this time is when Topps started the magazine subsets, so some magazines are included here.  Also, in my teenage mind, I thought if there could be a magazine subset, why not a record album subset?  So, for the first time I can remember, here are the first Wacky Packages based on LP's from the '70s (or before).  Enjoy!

I particularly like Putrid Family and Old Mold.  You imagined Silly CD's before they existed!!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2023, 04:33:34 PM »

Coalgate, Fig Newts and Rotz grab me right away!!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 04:35:23 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2023, 05:53:32 PM »
I sold the concepts of Coalgate and Fig Newts to Topps so they became Wackys. I wish I could go back and tell my young self!

Coalgate, Fig Newts and Rotz grab me right away!!

Online roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2023, 05:51:57 AM »

This is GREAT! The best use of this site, in my opinion! Better than anything else, THIS brings us back to the feeling we had when we were kids! That someone finally got our sense of humor, and that we could be just as funny too! Just like with the other fans that shared their childhood drawings, these are surprisingly on target! There are three that I've seen turned into cards (MUD, Sneakers, and Rotz) and several others that could be converted into real Wackys. This thread should encourage all of us to stay Wacky!

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2023, 12:14:16 PM »
Gurgle, these Wackys are awesome! I enjoyed all of these fun and witty gags, especially the "Tricycle" and--I may be in the minority--"Crap Stick"....ha!  "Low-C" and "Rotton Balls" also made me LOL, but I enjoyed all of them.  I see that you also could not resist Alfred E. Newman; there's seems to be a connection between appreciation for both MAD and Wacky Packages...what could it be?....maybe...parody?  Ha!  Also, congrats on selling "Coalgate" and "Fig Newts" to Topps!  Youthful dreams can come true.  Thank you for sharing them with us!

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2023, 12:48:45 PM »
Happy Weekend!  Presenting Series 9, the last full series.  I'll post what I finished of Series 10 next week.  I only had to delete one this time for violent themes.  You may notice that Star Trek gets another treatment, this time for the toy phaser gun.  Also, without knowing about die-cuts or what was in Series 1 of the real Topps, I also came up with a Ratz Crackers. 

Again, I hope you enjoy these as you await a month for the real 2023 series.

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2023, 12:54:57 PM »
Happy Weekend!  Presenting Series 9, the last full series.  I'll post what I finished of Series 10 next week.  I only had to delete one this time for violent themes.  You may notice that Star Trek gets another treatment, this time for the toy phaser gun.  Also, without knowing about die-cuts or what was in Series 1 of the real Topps, I also came up with a Ratz Crackers. 

What does Hi-Die dog gone dinner spoof?

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2023, 01:08:28 PM »
Paul, Muddle Cement and a Muddle Kit.  I am so there!  Again another killer series and you came up with Ratz on your own, too classic!  My fav is the Pestors cement for pests as that is not only a product  I used throughout my childhood but it is a classic product that is still to be Wackified.  Old School 11 maybe?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2023, 01:41:06 PM »

It's cool you came up with a Ratz Crackers parody! At the time, there probably wasn't a lot of knowledge out there on the rare die cut titles, let alone the die cuts themselves. At least me and my brother were never aware of them. We assumed the Series 1 stickers were the very first Wackies released.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2023, 05:48:45 PM »

These are really exceptional.  Would love to see these fleshed out by one of the series' artists, too. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2023, 10:38:52 PM »
What does Hi-Die dog gone dinner spoof?

I'm fairly sure it was Hi-Fi Dog Food.  After an admittedly quick search on the internet, I don't see that exact label, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2023, 10:42:35 PM »
... and you came up with Ratz on your own, too classic!  My fav is the Pestors cement for pests as that is not only a product  I used throughout my childhood but it is a classic product that is still to be Wackified.  Old School 11 maybe?

It's interesting that I evidently came up with Rotz before I did a Ratz, just the opposite of Topps.  Yes, I put together several models around that time (mostly cars and spaceships).  As for whether Pestor's Cement becomes an Old School sticker....well, the invitation is out there.
 ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 10:50:42 PM by bludevilok »

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2023, 10:46:38 PM »
It's cool you came up with a Ratz Crackers parody! At the time, there probably wasn't a lot of knowledge out there on the rare die cut titles, let alone the die cuts themselves. At least me and my brother were never aware of them. We assumed the Series 1 stickers were the very first Wackies released.

I never saw a Wacky until the 2nd series.  Seeing a 2nd series, I concluded that there must have been a 1st series, but I never saw any of them until later.  Even then, I never knew there was a Ratz Crackers until doing an internet search on Wacky Packages in the '90s.

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2023, 10:48:53 PM »
These are really exceptional.  Would love to see these fleshed out by one of the series' artists, too.

Again, the invitation is out there for our resident gag writers to use as they see fit....
 :D

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2023, 11:35:33 AM »
Again, the invitation is out there for our resident gag writers to use as they see fit....
 :D

Would complement the already existing Aurora OLDS model spoofs.  :great:

Glued