Author Topic: Forum Members' Teen/Amateur Wacky Packages  (Read 8803 times)

Offline bludevilok

Forum Members' Teen/Amateur Wacky Packages
« on: February 06, 2023, 10:17:10 PM »
Hi, all!  Some of you may know me through trading.  As a young teenager, like 13-16, I was impatient waiting for the new series to come along, so I drew my own on the side.  I found my drawings a few years ago, but with all the new Wackys coming out, I didn't think it necessary to post any of these.  Now that we don't have new Wackys every week or even every month, I thought I'd just share them with y'all to maybe satisfy any Wacky withdrawals. 

What you will see were drawn around 1974-1977, so these are really "old school."  I was very prolific and wound up drawing several series' worth, about 33 per series.  I was on my 10th series when I had to quit because honors classes started to consume all my time.  Before you look at them, keep in mind a few things.  First, I didn't have the concept of drawing them big and reducing them; I just drew them and colored them in a "book" of stapled white paper.  (Thus, you may see where the previous or next page color leaked through.)  Second, some of the products you may not recognize because they were products I just found around my house, and my mom sometimes bought house brands.  Some of these products even I don't remember.  Third, remember the first ones are from when I was around 12 years old, so the artwork isn't the best.  However, IMHO, I got better and the drawings became more the size of real Wacky Packages cards as I gained experience.

Here is the first series.  I hope you get a kick out of them.  If you want me to post more, let me know....I have them!

Paul

« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 11:15:28 PM by bludevilok »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 10:55:33 PM »
Those are really cool!  Bet you were thrilled when you found them!!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 11:30:56 PM »
Paul, these are superb!  The variety of products, fun designs and bright colors make them a joy to see.  Please post more!

Offline MadMike

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 12:03:54 AM »
I think they are awesome and would love to see more.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 03:03:56 AM »
Looking good! Please post more.

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 06:12:17 AM »
Outstanding!

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 06:15:32 AM »
Absolutely FANTASTIC! I'm sure every one of us wanted to do exactly that back then! I'm so glad you shared them! I'm pretty sure your Frosted Snakes actually became a card, and a handful of others could easily be made into viable submissions. Please post more of your series, as they're a hoot to look at!

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 11:24:40 AM »
Bet you were thrilled when you found them!!

Yes, I found them buried in my closet in a box.  I found them with some homemade Mad magazines, which I collaborated on with my friend in school.  Neither of us were very athletic, so we spent our lunch periods drawing satire.

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2023, 11:31:59 AM »
Paul, these are superb!  The variety of products, fun designs and bright colors make them a joy to see.  Please post more!

Wow!  Thanks for the kind words, Joe!  I'm sure that not being inhibited by Topps' litigation lawyers had something to do with the variety of designs...ha!  As for the bright colors, yeah, I was surprised I didn't have to Photoshop enhance the scans.  I guess the colors in the markers held well.  If my 12-year-old self would have known he would be getting praise from a real Wacky Packages artist, he'd be jumping up and down!

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2023, 11:40:30 AM »
Absolutely FANTASTIC! I'm sure every one of us wanted to do exactly that back then! I'm so glad you shared them! I'm pretty sure your Frosted Snakes actually became a card, and a handful of others could easily be made into viable submissions. Please post more of your series, as they're a hoot to look at!

Thanks, Roughwriter!  My 12-year-old self would also be excited getting praise from a real gag writer!  Yes, I believe Frosted Snakes did become a Wacky in the past 20 years.  Also, Choke was one, too.  I remember being surprised that Choke had not been done.  Topps had done Poopsie and Pupsi-Cola, but ignored the obvious gag on Coke/Choke.  Probably a possible litigation thing at the time.  There will probably be more that would actually became Wackys later in the ANS.

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2023, 11:55:29 AM »
Thanks for the praise from all!  My elementary and middle school art teachers would be proud!   :-[

Some memories occurred to me as I read these.  While most of the model packaging I used from mom's cupboard, not all of it did.  For example, my parents did not smoke, but it seemed that a Wacky series could not be complete without cigarettes; my, how times have changed!  I remember browsing through magazines, looking at ads and getting ideas, and drawing from those.  Also, I remember taking a small drawing pad into grocery stores to quickly sketch and make notes on products that I had ideas for but my mom didn't buy.  I'm sure customers thought I was a weird kid, drawing pictures of products!

It seems to be the consensus that I continue posting, so I will, but it may be an every-few-days thing.  There are 9 1/2 series' worth, after all....ha!

Offline drono

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 12:12:47 PM »
I remember doing the same thing, but your drawing skills are better than mine.  I even tried drawing my own comic book of "The Incomparables."  Now I'm wondering what I did with all those things I drew back in the mid to late 1970s.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 03:29:14 PM »
I also have my own pencil sketches of Wacky Packages parodies somewhere. I could post them here, but I don't want to steal any thunder from bludevilok.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 05:55:19 PM »
Thanks for the praise from all!  My elementary and middle school art teachers would be proud!   :-[

Some memories occurred to me as I read these.  While most of the model packaging I used from mom's cupboard, not all of it did.  For example, my parents did not smoke, but it seemed that a Wacky series could not be complete without cigarettes; my, how times have changed!  I remember browsing through magazines, looking at ads and getting ideas, and drawing from those.  Also, I remember taking a small drawing pad into grocery stores to quickly sketch and make notes on products that I had ideas for but my mom didn't buy.  I'm sure customers thought I was a weird kid, drawing pictures of products!

It seems to be the consensus that I continue posting, so I will, but it may be an every-few-days thing.  There are 9 1/2 series' worth, after all....ha!

Nice work, thanks for posting these! I could tell you spent some time on them, and it's always fun seeing those distinctly '70's products that were never Wackified (e.g. Koogle). Looking forward to seeing more.

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2023, 09:32:28 PM »
I also have my own pencil sketches of Wacky Packages parodies somewhere. I could post them here, but I don't want to steal any thunder from bludevilok.

I know I would love to see those, Swiski, as I'm sure others would.  Feel free to post, no thunder lost here.  We could broaden the subject to "Forum Members' Teen/Amateur Wacky Packages," but I don't know how to do that, so someone would have to explain to me how, maybe through a PM if that's possible.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2023, 11:12:20 PM »
Incredible stuff!  Thanks for sharing!
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2023, 11:24:59 PM »
Enjoyed seeing these!
A

Offline Swiski

Re: Forum Members' Teen/Amateur Wacky Packages
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2023, 09:03:29 AM »
I know I would love to see those, Swiski, as I'm sure others would.  Feel free to post, no thunder lost here.  We could broaden the subject to "Forum Members' Teen/Amateur Wacky Packages," but I don't know how to do that, so someone would have to explain to me how, maybe through a PM if that's possible.

Cool! I need to find them...stored in a box somewhere. But I think I know where they are.

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2023, 09:52:38 PM »
Many thanks to whoever was able to change the subject line for this topic!  Now any member will feel welcome to share their Wacky work.   :D

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2023, 02:39:46 AM »
Many thanks to whoever was able to change the subject line for this topic!  Now any member will feel welcome to share their Wacky work.   :D

You're welcome!

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2023, 01:58:35 PM »
As requested, here is Series 2.  I was still 12 when I did these, according to a note in the "book" I made. Only 30 in this series.
 Enjoy!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2023, 02:36:03 PM »
I am impressed with the way you placed all of these very clever and colorful parodies on the page!  I love the Star Trek kit!  That SO needed to be done back then!!

Offline Mr._Stubble

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2023, 02:39:59 PM »
I really like Funky Face!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2023, 05:24:03 PM »
Paul, another fun and “funky” all new series!  Wonderful art all around and as pointed out ‘Funky Face’ and ‘Star Trash’ are classics and would have made superb Wackys back in the day but Tragic H Bomb is my personal fav in this series!  You should consider printing them up on card stock and putting together ’Paul’s Parodies’ sets for forum members.  I know I’d want one!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 05:40:52 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2023, 04:46:02 AM »
I love the Shab E Tom parody of Snap E Tom! That would have been a great Wacky of a product never parodied before!

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2023, 05:56:57 AM »
These are a BLAST! You should definitely post the whole collection (eventually). We might want to have Dave Gross look these over for possible inclusion of some in his Old School series! Great work!

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2023, 10:38:52 PM »
I love the Star Trek kit!  That SO needed to be done back then!!

In addition to loving Wacky Packages (and other forms of satire), I was a BIG Star Trek fan....still am!  I was also disappointed that it never showed up in Wackys.....but I was elated when I finally saw Star Trek cards parodied in Old School and in other ANS cards.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 11:02:56 PM by bludevilok »

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2023, 10:43:45 PM »
You should consider printing them up on card stock and putting together ’Paul’s Parodies’ sets for forum members.  I know I’d want one!

I thought of a method to do this, but it would require a LOT of work:  copying, cutting out, re-scanning, re-sizing, etc.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time to devote to that project just yet.  In the meantime, I'm very glad all of you are enjoying them as much as I enjoyed creating them all those years ago.

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2023, 10:47:57 PM »
We might want to have Dave Gross look these over for possible inclusion of some in his Old School series! Great work!

I was always thrilled when a real Wacky Package would pop up with a title that I had used way back in the day, like Choke or Frosted Snakes.  If Dave can use any of these ideas, I'd be happy--well, ecstatic--to converse with him.

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2023, 10:59:26 PM »
I'm so glad members are finding products they remember from the '70s and are enjoying the parodies of them.  (Ah, Funny Face, the alternative to Kool-Aid.)  Yes, there are a variety of products here that had/have never been parodied yet.  A couple of comments come to mind about this series.  The "T.D.&H." memo book idea came from "T.G.& Y." 5&10 stores.  They were everywhere here in Oklahoma; I don't know how far they got.  "Sonache" is obviously Sonic, which, having started in Oklahoma, was also everywhere in Oklahoma in the '70s, even before that, probably.  I don't think Sonic moved out of state until at least the '80s or later.  But I had it already in the '70s to parody....ha!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 11:01:23 PM by bludevilok »

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2023, 12:12:30 PM »
Here is Series 3.  Sorry it took a week to get it out, but I've been busy this week with Valentine's Day and all.  Enjoy!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2023, 01:01:47 PM »
Paul, once again a killer series!  OK, it’s official, you are a Wacky gag writer!  So many of your ideas have become “official” Wackys, it’s awesome!  Fun that you did another Coca-Cola and the art on 3 Mouseketeers cracks me up! 

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2023, 01:46:54 PM »
My favorite series 3 titles are Cancel, Melt-o-meal and Mayday.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2023, 02:16:45 PM »
Outstanding!

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2023, 03:59:59 PM »
Here is Series 3.  Sorry it took a week to get it out, but I've been busy this week with Valentine's Day and all.  Enjoy!

Wait, what's Iceflop spoofing?

anything