Author Topic: In Memoriam  (Read 1857 times)

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
In Memoriam
« on: January 10, 2023, 06:03:52 AM »
   Today we take a moment to reflect on the passing of a dear friend, Wackys Monthly. In the two years that Wackys Monthly was with us, we were treated to a huge influx of new cards and gags. Although always limited in production, this only made the output more valuable to us, as the humor and art were top notch! Many fun innovations were seen over Monthly's lifespan, and some will be sorely missed, such as the fun seasonal gags. Monthly is survived by it's dedicated collectors, and a moment of silence will be observed in lieu of formal services. Anyone wishing to say something about the deceased may do so now...

Offline dth1971

Re: In Memoriam
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 06:31:53 PM »
Is the shipping notice for the last Wacky Monthly set of December 2022 due anytime soon?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 08:52:06 PM »
Wow.........

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 08:44:26 AM »
SanDimasHighShoolFootballRocks!!!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 10:08:19 AM »
Today we take a moment to reflect on the passing of a dear friend, Wackys Monthly. Anyone wishing to say something about the deceased may do so now...
May they R.I.B. (Rest In Binders)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 01:03:49 PM »
May they R.I.B. (Rest In Binders)

It was a good, solid run, with some excellent titles, and gave us playing cards, guest artist cards, portrait cards and little comic cards, and brought back Wonkys.  A fun ride!!

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 03:16:47 PM »
So this means they are officially cancelled, at least for this year? Is there some reason to hope that they will return in 2024?

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 03:42:01 PM »
*throwing my extras onto the casket with a tear in my eye*

Especially enjoyed the Wonkys and playing cards.

Too bad Topps hasn't decided to issue any actual playing card decks as of yet.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 04:06:51 PM »
So this means they are officially cancelled, at least for this year? Is there some reason to hope that they will return in 2024?

No there will be Wackys this year just not monthly.
Yes all of Neils sub-sets were truly a highlight of last year’s offerings!

Online mikecho

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 04:15:02 PM »
So it's obvious that my new box idea for this year - dark blue with a yellow logo - is out.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 11:40:55 AM »
So it's obvious that my new box idea for this year - dark blue with a yellow logo - is out.
No, it's what they were buried in.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2023, 12:40:25 PM »
I'm not gonna lie, I stopped buying the monthly sets at the start of '22.  Just didn't feel like it was a very good value and I don't like buying a full set and being teased with partial subsets.  I liked the subsets very much and picked up the Wacky comics.  Loved the Wonkys and playing cards, but wasn't willing to pay the price it would take to acquire them.  Here's hoping for some fun and innovative Wackys for '23 that, even better, would be available at retail again (I can dream, can't I?)

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2023, 04:34:29 PM »

Online Corndog

• Corndog....the NEW Blunder
  • There's no need to fear, because Corndog is here.
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 09:18:38 AM »
I'm not gonna lie, I stopped buying the monthly sets at the start of '22.  Just didn't feel like it was a very good value and I don't like buying a full set and being teased with partial subsets.  I liked the subsets very much and picked up the Wacky comics.  Loved the Wonkys and playing cards, but wasn't willing to pay the price it would take to acquire them.  Here's hoping for some fun and innovative Wackys for '23 that, even better, would be available at retail again (I can dream, can't I?)

I felt the same way. I don't make much, and I couldn't continue to break the bank on my Wacky obsession. I settled on collecting the base sets. I suppose I will sell any of the Wonky cards I received, but when i have time.

anything