Author Topic: Future of Wacky Packages  (Read 3290 times)

Offline cmgmd

Future of Wacky Packages
« on: March 16, 2022, 01:10:35 PM »
Since only approximately 500 sets of monthly Wacky Packages are being sold so far in 2022 at a price of $60 for one or $540 for 10, this does not appear to be a huge annual profit margin item for a company with a $10 billion dollar valuation.  Keeping in mind this is a niche product for a primarily Gen X audience, not Fanatics key demographic, what do you think the future of Wacky Packages will be in both the short and long term?

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: Future of Wacky Packages
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 01:51:15 PM »
Since only approximately 500 sets of monthly Wacky Packages are being sold so far in 2022 at a price of $60 for one or $540 for 10, this does not appear to be a huge annual profit margin item for a company with a $10 billion dollar valuation.  Keeping in mind this is a niche product for a primarily Gen X audience, not Fanatics key demographic, what do you think the future of Wacky Packages will be in both the short and long term?
I have been assuming that it's profitable otherwise topps which was struggling couldn't justify keeping it so while it's penny's to the large company I think the large company will keep anything  making a profit. They can find ways to do tie ins and so on and so forth bigger ticket items.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 02:19:48 PM »
I have been assuming that it's profitable otherwise topps which was struggling couldn't justify keeping it so while it's penny's to the large company I think the large company will keep anything  making a profit. They can find ways to do tie ins and so on and so forth bigger ticket items.

And continuing new releases of Wackys probably gives a boost to whatever licensing fees they are getting from Super Impulse.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 01:40:46 PM »
Assuming Topps ended the line or placed it in an indefinite hiatus there seems to be a few artists who would pick up the reign and put out their own interpretation of the hobby we enjoy.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 02:22:38 PM »
Assuming Topps ended the line or placed it in an indefinite hiatus there seems to be a few artists who would pick up the reign and put out their own interpretation of the hobby we enjoy.

I'm definitely in for another Brand Busters set!

Offline Corndog

• Corndog....the NEW Blunder
  • There's no need to fear, because Corndog is here.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 01:03:13 PM »
Maybe if they start putting wacky packs back in the stores, there just might be more interest/sales. In my area (here in Wisconsin) they can't keep them on the selves.

Heck maybe even put a cheesy web ad on FB or TikTok... like back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gha2PXm_ip4

Offline mikecho

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 01:12:43 PM »
Maybe if they start putting wacky packs back in the stores, there just might be more interest/sales. In my area (here in Wisconsin) they can't keep them on the selves.

Heck maybe even put a cheesy web ad on FB or TikTok... like back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gha2PXm_ip4
Oh yes, I remember that one. That was back in 2004, when the modern run was just getting started with ANS1. Ah, the good ol' days...we, the fans, had no idea whether or not it would work, but sure enough, it did, and the end, so far as I can see, is nowhere in sight. Let's just hope and pray it stays that way for a long, long time
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 01:15:20 PM by mikecho »

Offline quas

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 02:43:31 PM »
Topps could put a "bonus" GPK card in unopened Wacky packs, one that is exclusively available in such packs, to somewhat artificially boost sales of Wackies in a "crossover" fashion.
Marc

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 03:09:38 PM »
Topps could put a "bonus" GPK card in unopened Wacky packs, one that is exclusively available in such packs, to somewhat artificially boost sales of Wackies in a "crossover" fashion.

Why not? As we all know, Topps has done the very same thing in reverse for the past several years where Wacky subsets have been included as “rare” cards in GPK releases. Time for a little tit-for-tat. In fact, when I see these 10 card WP sets selling on eBay for $650 or more, makes me feel that the GPK resellers on eBay are basically funding the purchases of their cases on these chase sets alone.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 03:45:11 PM »
Isn't there some huge Wacky Packages return this fall to retail? It was teased here late last year.

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2022, 04:46:53 AM »
I thought they had said a retail set in the Fall…Not sure if that is still on with Fanatics taking them over. Things didnt turn out as badly as some feared when disney took over marvel comics several years ago, but the difference there is Disney mines the comics for characters and stories for its movies. Fingers crossed for Wacky survival…

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2022, 08:05:38 PM »
I certainly have no insight/insider info, but my hope, of course, is that Wackys will continue.  I hope there are both stickers and licensed items and that at least something is available at retail.  I like being able to chase them in the wild and collect a set rather than simply purchase a complete set online (though that has its benefits as well).  When I see all the GPK licences items, I wonder why at least a fraction of those wouldn't succeed as Wackys.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2022, 03:38:38 AM »
I would think the success of Wacky Mini's has increased Topps confidence in the future of the brand at retail.

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2022, 11:35:03 AM »
Have Wacky Minis really been a success at retail (aside from this small community)?  I still see series 1 & 2 cups languishing on shelves at Target / Walmart.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2022, 05:45:13 PM »
Have Wacky Minis really been a success at retail (aside from this small community)?  I still see series 1 & 2 cups languishing on shelves at Target / Walmart.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the combination of our small but free-spending community, plus modest sales among the Junior Circuit, are enough to turn a profit.  I saw plenty of instances where dated ANS material hung around in stores well after the next series came out, but that didn’t stop Topps from chugging along for 10+ years of retail releases.

The whole question of what’s been happening the last few years and what the future looks like makes me think back to a very interesting and informative internet article I read a few years back about Silver/Bronze Age X-Men comics.  Apparently although there were high hopes for X-Men from its 1963 inception, within a few years sales were languishing in comparison to Marvel’s other titles.  What the brain trust decided X-Men needed was an international flavor and an expanded cast of characters, but they needed time to develop the concept, conjure up some storylines, etc.  So they began reprinting earlier issues as new ones, sometimes as double issues, sometimes tweaking cover art, etc.  I guess they figured the most casual comic fans wouldn’t notice they were running reprints, and all would seem well in the X-Men world.  The second, and IMO far more important step Marvel took, was to write one-Shot appearances of X-Men characters into other titles during this period - Iceman in Amazing Spider-Man, Banshee in Captain America, Beast in Marvel Team-Up, and several more.  Brilliant move - this kept the characters alive in readers’ minds while the revamp was in the works.  Even X-Men fans who might have given up on the title because of the reprints could branch out into these other titles and get new stories.  Then the reboot got launched, and the rest is history - X-Men exploded in popularity from that time circa 1975 and never looked back.

Although I doubt Wacky Packages will ever peak again like they did 1973-75, the minis to me are somewhat like a smaller example of the X-Men phenomenon.  Keep the brand alive, even with only occasional releases, and a new marketing idea can bear fruit.  Difficult to predict for sure what will happen with the changes at Topps, but no reason to kill the brand with the potential still there.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2022, 01:41:55 PM »
Haha, tough question

« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 01:43:57 PM by Gurgle »

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2022, 03:05:06 PM »
I see in today’s WSJ that equity firms invested another $700 million in fanatics, making it worth $31 billion. I hope bandaches is correct, and that they will keep Wackys going, because even though its a drop in their bucket, it must be making them  money…Lets hope this doesn’t end like FTX or other scams..Sports merchandise and memorabilia are legitimate businesses, but these idiots throwing millions of dollars into it just overheat the market ….

Offline mikecho

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2022, 07:00:50 PM »
On a related note, I started a thread on pg. 3 of this section titled "Possible fate of Wackys in brick-and-mortar stores?"

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2022, 05:02:34 PM »
Based on what's going on in the world, in entertainment, and in comedy especially, it's hard to imagine Wackys lasting much longer unless they start covering mainly Memes and silly Cats and Dogs.  "Chimkin' Numgets" or "I'm a Happy Happy Happy Dog - Dog Food" might sell.  Ugh.  Someone PLEASE invent a time machine soon!  I want my MTV.