Author Topic: Common 1967 Die-Cuts Item  (Read 6296 times)

Online NationalSpittoon

Common 1967 Die-Cuts Item
« on: November 23, 2022, 01:21:56 PM »
Howdy,

Found this die-cut box for sale. I think these are pretty common, but what do you guys think?

http://milehighcardco.com/Exceptionally_Rare_1967_Topps_Wacky_Packages_Unope-LOT89463.aspx

Mark

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Common 1967 Die-Cuts Item
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 02:22:21 PM »
Howdy,

Found this die-cut box for sale. I think these are pretty common, but what do you guys think?

http://milehighcardco.com/Exceptionally_Rare_1967_Topps_Wacky_Packages_Unope-LOT89463.aspx

Mark

An unopened box?  I would love to have that in my collection, but I would be too tempted to kill it...............

Offline faustxxx

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 02:57:22 PM »
Howdy,

Mark
     I agree, very common actually. I see these for sale all the time. lol

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 05:06:38 AM »
     I agree, very common actually. I see these for sale all the time. lol

I'll just stick with my empty box:

It's in nicer shape than that nasty old full one!!!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 05:08:19 AM by RawGoo »

Offline drono

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 06:35:55 AM »
Since it's BBCE wrapped, you might as well have the empty box.  In my opinion, the enjoyment of having a full box is seeing the unopened packs.  You could unwrap it, but that would diminish its resale value.  It's not something I would normally worry about unless I was paying the auction's current price of $16K+.  Money doesn't grow on trees in my part of the country.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 06:19:46 AM »
Since it's BBCE wrapped, you might as well have the empty box.  In my opinion, the enjoyment of having a full box is seeing the unopened packs.  You could unwrap it, but that would diminish its resale value.  It's not something I would normally worry about unless I was paying the auction's current price of $16K+.  Money doesn't grow on trees in my part of the country.
I think paying BBCE to wrap boxes is idiotic and it is a shame there is any premium for that.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 07:17:34 AM »
I think paying BBCE to wrap boxes is idiotic and it is a shame there is any premium for that.

I am glad you have the expertise to spot resealed material, not everyone does.

Offline drono

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 08:17:36 PM »

Didn't BBCE authenticate the $3.5Million sealed case of Pokémon that turned out to be GI Joe stickers?  I've often wondered about their ability to tell if something was truly unopened.  And what about full boxes that were filled by purchasing unopened packs from various boxes?  If the wrapper pattern is correct, could they really tell the difference?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 08:35:38 PM »
Didn't BBCE authenticate the $3.5Million sealed case of Pokémon that turned out to be GI Joe stickers?  I've often wondered about their ability to tell if something was truly unopened.  And what about full boxes that were filled by purchasing unopened packs from various boxes?  If the wrapper pattern is correct, could they really tell the difference?

The Pokémon mistake had nothing to do with checking packs.

And BBCE does not certify that a box is original unless it is from a sealed case. Their certification is just that the packs are legitimate, something they have a nearly flawless track record on.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2022, 02:23:11 AM »

What happened?

Online NationalSpittoon

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2022, 03:28:14 AM »

And BBCE does not certify that a box is original unless it is from a sealed case. Their certification is just that the packs are legitimate, something they have a nearly flawless track record on.

Are you suggesting that there is a full case of these?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 05:12:54 AM »
Are you suggesting that there is a full case of these?

No. I’m saying that the only way BBCE will certify that a box is as it originally came from the factory is if they remove it from the unopened case. In that case, they label it “FASC” and it commands a hefty premium.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2022, 05:15:15 AM »
What happened?

Steve Hart made the mistake of going beyond his area of expertise and certified that a very valuable Pokémon case was unopened. A famous YouTuber paid handsomely for it. It turned out it was fake and the packs contained GI Joe cards.

Offline drono

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2022, 06:34:48 AM »
No. I’m saying that the only way BBCE will certify that a box is as it originally came from the factory is if they remove it from the unopened case. In that case, they label it “FASC” and it commands a hefty premium.

Thanks for the info.  I'm not into wrapping, so I didn't realize there were different levels.

I looked on the BBCE web site and saw three tiers of authentication, with the highest two requiring an original factory wrapping on the box and no requirement that it came from an unopened case.  If that is the case, then vintage items should never qualify for either of these two since they were never wrapped at the factory.  If boxes from an unopened case did qualify, then I suppose since BBCE was fooled with the Pokémon case, they could be fooled with any other "apparently sealed" case when the individual boxes pre-dated factory wrapping.  The point really should be moot since unopened boxes from that era would all have the lowest of the three authentication tiers anyway.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2022, 07:32:42 AM »

If boxes from an unopened case did qualify, then I suppose since BBCE was fooled with the Pokémon case, they could be fooled with any other "apparently sealed" case when the individual boxes pre-dated factory wrapping.  The point really should be moot since unopened boxes from that era would all have the lowest of the three authentication tiers anyway.

There aren’t too many full cases of vintage boxes around, but the difference is he does have experience with something like a 1978 baseball wax or cello case, and knows a lot of details that are hard to fake. Conversely, he had zero experience with Pokémon and should have passed on authenticating it. Because as these posts illustrate, people will continually bring it up to challenge his general competence, so it does hurt his reputation a lot.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2022, 06:10:19 PM »
Including the companies certifying these things but you go ahead and keep them in business, someone has to.....
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2022, 06:35:14 PM »
Including the companies certifying these things but you go ahead and keep them in business, someone has to.....

You are completely wrong about that, but entitled to your opinion of course.

If you actually believe that buying an unopened pack that is certified by PSA/BBCE does not massively improve the chances of it being legitimate compared to an ungraded ebay pack then I don’t know what to say.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 06:37:54 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2022, 06:50:42 PM »
You are completely wrong about that, but entitled to your opinion of course.

If you actually believe that buying an unopened pack that is certified by PSA/BBCE does not massively improve the chances of it being legitimate compared to an ungraded ebay pack then I don’t know what to say.
I never said it doesn't improve the chances, I said it is idiotic to wrap full boxes(I agree with Dr Ono as there is nothing more boring than a wrapped full box you cant open) and then you went tangental on it so I responded...

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2022, 05:04:12 PM »
I never said it doesn't improve the chances, I said it is idiotic to wrap full boxes(I agree with Dr Ono as there is nothing more boring than a wrapped full box you cant open) and then you went tangental on it so I responded...

Why does Dave consistently defend the undefendable?

Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2022, 05:07:16 PM »

What are you talking about?

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2022, 05:08:42 PM »
What are you talking about?

oh good grief

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2022, 05:09:40 PM »
I would not want to keep a box like that wrapped either.

However, if I were paying over $10K for it, I would want to know that the packs were legitimate, and this is pretty much the only way to be confident of that unless you are buying from someone you know and know the provenance.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2022, 05:10:03 PM »
oh good grief

Thanks for your usual valuable contributions.

Online NationalSpittoon

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2022, 05:23:45 PM »

Why does Plastered Peanut ask such a pointless question?

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2022, 06:40:48 PM »
Why does Plastered Peanut ask such a pointless question?

well, let's see.....

He defends Greg against bullying people.

He defends "experts" against deciding without doubt on "questionable" matters.

is that enough?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2022, 06:51:45 PM »
well, let's see.....

is that enough?

Some advice David….

1. If you’re going to continually cry about Greg’s behavior, maybe don’t attack me without any provocation.

2. You clearly don’t know what you are talking about with regard to BBCE so why not stay out of it?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2022, 07:49:57 PM »
If anyone actually cares about the subject of wrapping boxes here, I have already suggested to BBCE that they should photograph all of the packs before wrapping a box so that future buyers would easily be able to see what they are really buying. Seems like a no brainer, but they have not made that happen as of yet.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2022, 08:52:45 PM »
I would not want to keep a box like that wrapped either.

However, if I were paying over $10K for it, I would want to know that the packs were legitimate, and this is pretty much the only way to be confident of that unless you are buying from someone you know and know the provenance.
Hence the catch 22, not really worth owning wrapped, seems to be perception that only wrapped is worth buying....therefore it isn't worth owning or another option pay the lower price for the lesser trusted item because at the end of the day, if the packs are never going to be killed then their being resealed is really irrelevant....it is all part of the crazy chase of collecting unopened material which is exactly why I never bothered and I am only interested in empty display boxes.  Still empty wrappers in there and it still looks pretty.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2022, 08:54:36 PM »
If anyone actually cares about the subject of wrapping boxes here, I have already suggested to BBCE that they should photograph all of the packs before wrapping a box so that future buyers would easily be able to see what they are really buying. Seems like a no brainer, but they have not made that happen as of yet.
What problem does this solve?  Is there a fear that the boxes are full of candy bars?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2022, 08:58:26 PM »
Some advice David….

1. If you’re going to continually cry about Greg’s behavior, maybe don’t attack me without any provocation.

2. You clearly don’t know what you are talking about with regard to BBCE so why not stay out of it?
when you claim you seek truths, you sure put on the breaks when it comes to challenging greg's version of things.....

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2022, 01:09:38 AM »
What problem does this solve?  Is there a fear that the boxes are full of candy bars?

It allows the buyer to see what the packs actually look like. Whether they are nice and fresh, or moldy, or whatever, beyond the paramount question of their legitimacy.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2022, 01:10:11 AM »
when you claim you seek truths, you sure put on the breaks when it comes to challenging greg's version of things.....

When did this thread have anything to do with Greg? Talk about out of left field….

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2022, 01:31:17 AM »
Hence the catch 22, not really worth owning wrapped, seems to be perception that only wrapped is worth buying....therefore it isn't worth owning or another option pay the lower price for the lesser trusted item because at the end of the day, if the packs are never going to be killed then their being resealed is really irrelevant....it is all part of the crazy chase of collecting unopened material which is exactly why I never bothered and I am only interested in empty display boxes.  Still empty wrappers in there and it still looks pretty.

Who said they are “never going to be killed?” Hal Steinbrenner has purchased expensive boxes like this because he wanted to open them. So he obviously wants to be sure they are legitimate. That is the one key issue whether the buyer wants to open the packs or not.

Online NationalSpittoon

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2022, 02:53:06 AM »
well, let's see.....

is that enough?

I don’t think I’ve seen him defend bullying on here, and I would recommend avoiding ambiguity in that second point. What is questionable to you is not questionable to someone else.

I’m glad to see we have moved on from the provenance of an unopened die-cut box to literally anything else in the same topic. I would have it no other way.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2022, 05:24:55 AM »
I’m still not clear on how they can authenticate and claim this as an “Unopened “ box, if this did not come from a case as you said.
To me Unopened implies it’s as originally packed by Topps, and it’s something much more than a box full of authentic packs. Why is this not listed as Full Box of authentic packs?