Author Topic: Cease and Desists  (Read 2117 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Cease and Desists
« on: December 09, 2022, 10:54:28 AM »
I know there were quite a few cease and desist letters sent to Topps on the Original Series. Has anyone ever seen one of these letters or have a list of the “no go” companies? I have seen it written by Jay Lynch that there was an evolving master list of companies to avoid…Does anyone know why Pepsi, for instance, was pulled, but not Dr Pepper? Where some companies just more litigious? I am assuming that rather than go to court, (where i would think parody would be a defense) Topps either pulled titles or just quickly moved onto a new series before they could be sued. I know that none if us are copyright attorneys, but does anyone have any insight into how these cease and desists happened? Just curious, this does not diminish my enjoyment of the stickers…Maybe i just spend too much time pondering the vagaries of Wackys….

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
Re: Cease and Desists
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 11:29:25 AM »
My brother actually IS a copyright attorney, but I learned about the Cease & Desist letters elsewhere. The biggest factor in Topps' favor back in the 70s was that the series would be on the shelves for such a short time before they sold out that offended product manufacturers rarely had time to find out about the offending gag, contact their attorney, and get the legal notice mailed out before the gag was gone already. The letter would arrive at Topps, and they could sell any remaining stock on the shelves before suit was instituted. In today's suit-happy society, people are much quicker on the draw with attorneys, and many companies maintain "in house" counsel. Some manufactures are famous for how aggressively they protect their brand names. With deep pockets to fund expensive legal battles, it changed the equation significantly, and it makes more economic sense to avoid the manufactures who are known to "bite" hard. The actual cases decided on the issue of parody are very supportive of Topps, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be expensive and time consuming to fight the issue in court. The profit margin on the cards isn't significant enough to make such fights worthwhile. I've never seen an actual Cease & Desist letter, but I can tell you that dozens of my ideas have been shot down simply for fear of annoying the wrong brand owner!

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 11:53:39 AM »
Does  their parodying their own products, or the disclaimer “no kidding, these are all fine products” provide them with any legal cover?

Offline drono

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 12:03:24 PM »
You should watch the season 2 episode 6 of "The Toys that Built America."  It's about Cabbage Patch Kids but around the 40 minute mark they talk about Topps and Garbage Pail Kids.  Xavier Roberts, who stole the Cabbage Patch Kids idea from Martha Nelson, in turn sued Topps for making GPK too similar to CPK dolls.  I forget who they interviewed from Topps, but he said one day when he came into work, all the files were gone, and he knew there had been a lawsuit.

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 12:16:09 PM »
Does  their parodying their own products, or the disclaimer “no kidding, these are all fine products” provide them with any legal cover?

Not as much as the fact that the product parodied and the card gag are so substantially different from each other that there is no chance of commercial confusion. If Topps was producing full sized replicas of the items, it might be a bigger headache. Since the minis are so darn tiny, they also avoid the risk of actual confusion. I have the copy of the one case involving Wacky Packages that actually went to trial socked away somewhere. It makes interesting reading!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 01:13:43 PM »
I have the copy of the one case involving Wacky Packages that actually went to trial socked away somewhere. It makes interesting reading!
OS 15 Petley, correct?

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 01:26:54 PM »
I think less of any company that can’t take a joke. Or maybe its more of “how dare you make money off of spoofing our trade dress!”

Offline mikecho

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 01:44:09 PM »
OS 15 Petley, correct?
Yes, that's the one. Topps won the lawsuit by proving that they parodied their own products as well as those of others, but by then, it was too little, too late.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 03:52:15 PM by mikecho »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 02:52:57 PM »
I know there were quite a few cease and desist letters sent to Topps on the Original Series. Has anyone ever seen one of these letters or have a list of the “no go” companies? I have seen it written by Jay Lynch that there was an evolving master list of companies to avoid…
If you look at the OS1-16  titles not used in the 1979-80 Reissues, you should have more or less the list you’re asking about.  Of course there are some outliers, like titles not included in Reissues but repeated in the 1982 minis, or the modern-day Flashbacks, although in the latter case there are so many years between the two that the laws could have changed or companies could have changed their views. As has also been mentioned, some companies were even disappointed to have NOT been parodied.  There’s no surgically precise answer to this.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2022, 09:18:40 AM »
In the early 2000's, there was a dust-up over Moron Salt because after 35 years, the company still couldn't take a joke. Eventually, Morton backed off, figuring the bad publicity would be more damaging. Moron later appeared in the 2008 Flashbacks.

http://wackypacks.com/history/moronsalt.html

Offline mikecho

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2022, 11:59:19 AM »
In the early 2000's, there was a dust-up over Moron Salt because after 35 years, the company still couldn't take a joke. Eventually, Morton backed off, figuring the bad publicity would be more damaging. Moron later appeared in the 2008 Flashbacks.

http://wackypacks.com/history/moronsalt.html
Yes, it was Flashback I that Moron Salt appeared in, along with eight other Die-Cuts. This was the first time these nine appeared as peel-and-stick stickers. Since then, only two Die-Cuts haven't been rerleased as regular-sized peel-and sticks - Cracked Animals and Fearstone Tires (the second one, however, did appear in a smaller-sized peel-and-stick in the 1982 Album Series and the unpublished 1986 Album Series).

In fact, if you look at one of the threads I started called titled "The third Abrams Wacky Packages book", I had an idea that those two could've been bonus stickers for that book, along with Toadal and The Clodfather.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2022, 02:15:05 PM »
Was the most recent Topps Wacky Packages C&D from Disney to stop doing Wacky Packages takes on Disney owned properties which made Topps cancel a planned in 2014 Star Wars Wacky Packages series?

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2022, 11:29:22 AM »
Was the most recent Topps Wacky Packages C&D from Disney to stop doing Wacky Packages takes on Disney owned properties which made Topps cancel a planned in 2014 Star Wars Wacky Packages series?

I didn't hear the magic words "Cease & Desist", but about a year ago I was told nothing parodying Coke/Coca-Cola would be considered. Draw your own conclusions.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2022, 02:11:00 PM »
I don't know, either, but my guess is it might've been.

And don't forget the lost 1992 Series, if it had been released, would've had four Disney product parodies, three of which were films and TV series episodes on VHS videocassettes (two of them (the films) in clamshell boxes and one of them (the TV series episodes) in a slipsleeve box) and one of which was a toy.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 06:31:58 PM by mikecho »

anything