Author Topic: Bum Chex/Choke Wagon  (Read 2001 times)

Offline 70s_Kid

Bum Chex/Choke Wagon
« on: November 17, 2022, 09:43:12 PM »
I remember as an 8 year old in 1973 never being able to acquire these elusive stickers to complete my 4th series set.  So, when I discovered the original series stickers in the mid 90's on Ebay, these were 2 of the first stickers I looked for.  To this day, other than series 3 these 2 stickers have the most nostalgic value for me.... your thoughts?

Offline freetoes

Re: Bum Chex/Choke Wagon
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 06:18:49 AM »
I started collecting with Series 4, after those two titles were pulled. Bum and Choke didn't appear on the checklist, and I never knew they existed until I rediscovered Wackys 25 years later.

For reasons of nostalgia, Series 4 remains my favorite.

Offline drono

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 07:08:17 AM »
I never knew they existed either until the early 80s.  I had a hard time finding Windhex to complete my set.  I finally had to trade to someone who had stuck it on their notebook.  I peeled it and put it on the back of another sticker.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 07:22:07 AM »
I never knew they existed either until the early 80s.  I had a hard time finding Windhex to complete my set.  I finally had to trade to someone who had stuck it on their notebook.  I peeled it and put it on the back of another sticker.
Now that is a die hard collector!!!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 11:14:23 AM »
I remember as an 8 year old in 1973 never being able to acquire these elusive stickers to complete my 4th series set.  So, when I discovered the original series stickers in the mid 90's on Ebay, these were 2 of the first stickers I looked for.  To this day, other than series 3 these 2 stickers have the most nostalgic value for me.... your thoughts?
Sounds like the switch to Windhex/Mess Claroil had already occurred but the original Choke/Bum checklists we’re still in the packs you were getting.  Do you remember finding the two new titles and wondering why they didn’t appear on your checklists?  That would be the clincher.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 05:37:25 PM »
I had bum chex and choke wagon I'd never heard of windhex and mess claro till I recollected in the 1990s.   Windhex and mess  have no nostalgic value to me.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 08:25:11 PM »
I knew Bum and Choke existed because they where still on the checklists but I never was able to get them. I got a glimpse of a Choke Wagon stuck on a girl's notebook and life felt so unfair because I was sure it meant little to her yet it meant the world to me. I didn't even know what Bum Chex looked like until the internet came along. They were like the holy grail.

I started collecting with Series 4, after those two titles were pulled. Bum and Choke didn't appear on the checklist, and I never knew they existed until I rediscovered Wackys 25 years later.

For reasons of nostalgia, Series 4 remains my favorite.

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 05:17:57 PM »
I never saw these two titles collecting as a kid, but gad a checklist with them on it. I just figured they were super rare, didn’t realize they were pulled. I have both today. What prices do these two titles fetch these days? 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 07:45:34 PM by JailOJohn »

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 06:50:58 PM »
I never saw these two titles collecting as a kid, but gad a checklist with them on it. I just figured they were super rare, didn’t realize they were pulled. I have both today. What prices donthese twobtitles fetch these days?

it depends on condition and what someone is willing to pay.  If I had extras and was willing to sell them, I would ask $150 for the pair..  that's me though.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 08:59:13 AM »
Checked Fleabay after reading this thread. A Choke Wagon went for $200 yesterday (22 different bidders) and a Bum Chex sold for $72 (9 different bidders)…..
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 09:01:47 AM by JailOJohn »

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2022, 09:43:00 AM »
$200 is an awful lot for one Choke Wagon unless it was mint and perfectly centered.  But still.....
Still looking for Series 17

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2022, 03:15:09 PM »
My Dad used to say “they don’t know the war is over,” whenever something was super expensive. Maybe today, we should change that to “they font know Covid is over.”..,,