Author Topic: Most unusual thing you stuck Wackys on?  (Read 2266 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Most unusual thing you stuck Wackys on?
« on: November 16, 2022, 09:45:38 AM »
I looked very carefully through threads here and all i could find was “creative uses of duplicates” which was not on point. For old times sake, who can recall where they actually stuck Wackys as a kid. I recall covering a dresser and getting spanked, my friend put about 20 on his parents’ car and got spanked and grounded. Notebooks and binders don’t count, since everyone stuck Wackys on those….

Offline drono

Re: Most unusual thing you stuck Wackys on?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 10:24:46 AM »
I don't recall every sticking them on anything.  :'(  I guess I was either a weirdo or ahead of my time.

I did, however, decorate my closet door with the Topps NBA logo stickers from 1973-74. 
Here's what they look like: https://www.ebay.com/itm/144676775203

I also ruined the complete set that I kept by peeling off the bottom pennants and moving them to the sticker with the matching logo.  I bought a complete set many years later to rectify that mistake.

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 10:40:50 AM »
    This won't be directly on point, but it's still a good story. I was first involved in designing Wackys back in the ANS days, and the retail sets meant kids had access to the stickers, just like back in the old days when we were little miscreants. I can remember spending a weekend at St. Pete Beach in 2014, and after hours in the sun got hungry, so I went to the little beach shack nearby for snacks and drinks. While waiting for my order to come up, I noticed a newspaper dispenser for the local free rag. It had a glass front, and some smart ace had plastered it with stickers. There were 8 of them on there, and they had faded and weathered in the sun, but I could tell that they were Wackys. I'd seen the same kind of thing dozens of times as a kid in the 70s, but then I did a double take and realized 5 of them were my designs! It gave me the most amazing rush to see my ideas on display like that. It is my favorite Wacky moment. We HAVE to find a way to bring retail sets back!

Offline faustxxx

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 11:00:13 AM »
     I can still remember seeing the stickers from the 2nd series that I had just opened that I put on my father's billiard table around the outside pockets and score area. He had a temper about it, but I was not punished since I was only eight at the time.

Matt.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 11:42:59 AM »
Covered the top of a toy chest as well as my brother's dresser.

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 11:47:26 AM »
Stuck the first several series stickers in checklist order on the cardboard that came with dry cleaned shirts to create an "album"

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 03:18:51 PM »
When I used to get three or four extras of a title, I would give some of them to my little sister. She stuck them on the walls in the rooms of her doll house. She invented Wacky Packages wall paper long before those large clings.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2022, 04:29:30 PM »
Believe it or not, as a kid... I actually never peeled & stuck ANY.  I just liked collecting them, and actually did the OPPOSITE by peeling them OFF of my friend's dresser and onto discarded tanbacks to add to my sets (back then, grading didn't mean a thing... if you had the title, you had it).  But when I got back into Wackys in the late 90's, though, first thing I did was buy a stack of cheap 79 Reissue sets and every time I went to eat a Wahoo's Fish Taco, stuck them everywhere.  (It's a CA and CO thing... Hawaiian Mexican food place with surf & skate & band stickers all over the walls).  Even stuck 'em on the edges of the bathroom mirrors.  Made up for lost time, I guess.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2022, 05:22:38 PM »
Had stuck some to the headboard of my early childhood bunk bed.  Have no recollection of doing it, but sometime in the late 80’s I came across the disassembled bed frame in my parents’ attic, and there they were, perfectly intact.  Couldn’t peel them off without shredding and destroying them, unfortunately.  Also found some inside the lid of a small metal storage box, and was able to peel those fairly well.  Put them on spent Reissues but the glue was too weak and the stickers would curl and peel off.  Put them in a penny sleeve and stored with other cards under pressure and eventually they stayed on the backing paper.  All sounds pathetic now, but at the time I felt like an archaeologist discovering ancient artifacts.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2022, 06:13:35 PM »
Stuck them on all the household products that they parodied.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2022, 06:56:10 PM »

I brought a big stack of Flashbacks to Cambodia and Thailand years ago, so when street urchins came up to me asking for money, I gave them those.  I also stuck one on a tuk tuk...  and gave the driver some.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2022, 01:05:11 PM »

I did that as well.  I was lucky to have a friend that owned our corner store so we always got the Wacky's as soon as they came in.  We thought we were so clever by sticking Clammy stickers on all of the Camay bars of soap in the store  ;)
Still looking for Series 17

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2022, 01:29:06 PM »

I made this handsome serving tray, suitable for serving cheesy hoers doevres on. Fear not, they are all re-issues and Flashback stickers…

Offline bandaches

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2022, 05:54:53 PM »
I did that as well.  I was lucky to have a friend that owned our corner store so we always got the Wacky's as soon as they came in.  We thought we were so clever by sticking Clammy stickers on all of the Camay bars of soap in the store  ;)
oh even cooler, sticking them on products in the store!!  Love it! 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline freetoes

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2022, 09:35:41 AM »
When I had my office in Providence, I wanted to stick a Shrunken Donuts magnet on what was then the Dunkin Donuts Center. (Drunken Donuts would have been better, but a magnet comes right off, so no vandalism.)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2022, 10:31:40 AM »
When I had my office in Providence, I wanted to stick a Shrunken Donuts magnet on what was then the Dunkin Donuts Center. (Drunken Donuts would have been better, but a magnet comes right off, so no vandalism.)

I stuck one on my employee locker at a Dunkin' store, but it only lasted until the boss came in.  He was not amused.

Offline quas

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2022, 01:16:34 PM »
I stuck one on my employee locker at a Dunkin' store, but it only lasted until the boss came in.  He was not amused.

Shoot, he could have taken it in stride and said, "Hmm, Shrunken Donuts - that could just be an alternate fun name for the donut holes we sell."
Marc

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2022, 02:15:26 PM »
We thought we were so clever by sticking Clammy stickers on all of the Camay bars of soap in the store
May as well stick 'em since they're all off center anyways, lol.

I don't recall ever peeling/sticking any Wackys. Not sure why, it just seemed wrong to me, even then.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2022, 05:50:51 PM »
I don't recall ever peeling/sticking any Wackys. Not sure why, it just seemed wrong to me, even then.

Yay!  I wasn't the only one not sticking them as a kid.  Although, I didn't even stick Crazy Covers either... and those were subpar to Wackys.  So, I probably should have.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2022, 02:01:43 PM »
I recently stuck one to my laptop. I know someone who picked up with the wrong laptop after putting it through the xray at the airport and only discovered this once she got home. What an ordeal it was to get her own computer back! Can't hurt to personalize.

Yay!  I wasn't the only one not sticking them as a kid.  Although, I didn't even stick Crazy Covers either... and those were subpar to Wackys.  So, I probably should have.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2022, 11:41:56 AM »
I recently stuck one to my laptop. I know someone who picked up with the wrong laptop after putting it through the xray at the airport and only discovered this once she got home. What an ordeal it was to get her own computer back! Can't hurt to personalize.
great idea!

Offline drono

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2022, 12:38:57 PM »

Maybe a good idea for luggage too?  I bought this ugly bright lime green luggage and my wife has bright purple.  It's easy to spot on the carousel whenever I check bags.  I also had to change a flight one time and needed to have my bags moved to the new plane.  I was quite happy to tell them, they'd have no trouble spotting my bright green luggage.

Offline DonTen

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2023, 10:50:09 AM »
I stuck a bunch all over the dog house outside. It was about the only place I could do that and not get in trouble for it  :]

anything