Author Topic: Halloween is upon us. What to Watch?  (Read 7620 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Halloween is upon us. What to Watch?
« on: October 02, 2010, 10:32:53 PM »
Now that is October we need to start a tradition of watching scary movies. Some forums have members watching a scary movie every night for 31 days. We don't have to go that far but here are a couple you should check out:

Trick-R-Treat - This came out last year on DVD and it's fantastic. I don't remember this ever being in theaters but it is one to put in the Netflix queue! It really brings back the spirit of Halloween! Must See!

Let the right one in - http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Let-the-Right-One-In/70099621?strackid=145576e99cf7b060_0_srl&strkid=1408979963_0_0&trkid=222336
Hey, you can stream it from Netflix. It's the original Swedish movie for the movie that is out now - Let me in! This one is really good even though it has subtitles. I do enjoy a good subbed movie. I feel like I'm reading a book. Some people may not like this one but it really is a great vampire movie!

Another streamer - The Orphanage - http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The-Orphanage/70077549?strackid=12ac14cde452b780_0_srl&strkid=1585143419_0_0&trkid=222336
This is a great ghost story movie. The same guy that did Pan's labyrinth did this one. It is another subbed movie but very good. Pan's is really good but this is just a notch below that one. I really like this director! Who doesn't like movies about dead kids? Creepy!

OK, now I'm in this foreign movie thing so here is another that is really well done. Some of you may have known this as 'Quarantine' but that was just a remake of REC

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/-REC/70106452?strackid=6db35f01f27b3c34_0_srl&strkid=1964733723_0_0&trkid=222336
Put it in your queue NOW! Great movie and is also subbed. Sorry, I'm on a foreign movie kick. Did you guys know that most of our modern stuff has been done before? We obviously can't think of anything new so we rip everyone off.

Let's not forget some other streamers
Dead Snow - http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Dead-Snow/70112467?trkid=1211018
Phone -http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Phone/70019282?trkid=1211018
Not for the squeamish- brutal ending - Audition -  http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Audition/60026319?strackid=673bb03f4d35116b_0_srl&strkid=1176716835_0_0&trkid=222336

Zombieland - Awesome! http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Zombieland/70123542?trkid=1211018

OK, These are a lot of foreign movies. The problem is that we have seen almost everything available and now it's time to look overseas. If you can deal with subs then you just might find a jewel in the rough of bad movies. I watch these movies while traveling and watch them streaming through Netflix on my iPad. It's amazing!

This is not a horror movie but a great movie none the less. It is also a foreign movie but something I think the Cohen brothers wish they could have done first. It's a simple movie that seems to get really complicated.
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Terribly-Happy/70120524?trkid=1211018
Stream it NOW! It's that good!

One last thing to leave you guys with is a great monster movie. Think Godzilla with a great human twist. I really liked it:
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/The-Host/70059029?trkid=1211018

There you have it! Great foreign movies that will scare you and you haven't seen them!

Offline mikecho

Re: Halloween is upon us. What to Watch?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 08:27:28 PM »
I'd like to recommend the four scariest movies I've ever seen: The Birds (1963), The Stepford Wives (first version) (1975) and a pair of films about insects: The Hellstrom Chronicle (1971) and Phase IV (1974).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 10:25:25 AM by mikecho »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 08:57:29 PM »
Mike, Phase IV is one of my all time favorite movies and the only one directed by the great title designer Saul Bass but I never found it scary.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 05:32:05 PM »
I thought it was. It was very atmospheric in that the "monsters" weren't giant monsters or aliens from another world. They were just...ants. No bigger than a fingernail. The question was-why couldn't anyone stop them? The photography on this and The Hellstrom Chronicle were done by the same person, and it's excellent! But the scariest part of all-as with The Birds and The Stepford Wives (first version)-was the ending! Scared the pants off of me when I first saw it...and still does. I guess you had to be there. By the way, missing footage from that ending was recently found, and I'm hoping and praying with all my heart that Paramount gets wise and both puts it back in the film and, after all these years ,re-releases it in an unedited director's cut, because if they do, I'd buy it in a nanosecond the instant they did it!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 10:28:29 AM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 05:05:34 PM »
I've just ordered a DVD of Phase IV from Olive Films! A while back, the same company also released The Hellstrom Chronicle, also. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 10:34:09 AM by mikecho »

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 06:04:54 PM »
Some horror movies that I don't see anymore, but they're not really scary but worth it just to see some major stars act in bad movies, are Who Slew Auntie Roo and Whatever Happened to Auntie Alice (which may be a made for TV movie). Saw these when young and would probably laugh at them now, but they're probably considered campy now. Auntie Roo had Shelley Winters and Mark Lester, a then famous child actor. Alice had Ruth Gordon. A

Offline Jason Brower

• jasonbrowerart.com
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 06:15:48 PM »
October? I watch horror movies continually all year.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 05:16:48 PM »
October? I watch horror movies continually all year.
I'm the same way, but Halloween season always gives me that jolt and jump-starts my enthusiasm for the horror genre.  Haven't watched anything lately except Ssssssss!!! (1973) which was on cable a few months back.  Silly campy stuff by today's standards, but pretty convincing FX for its time.  A friend had recommended it (I think he's partial to the 'creature feature' sub-genre), and I knew this movie was featured in the You'll Die Laughing card set, which automatically piques my curiosity.  Ultimately nothing special though.

A relative lent me a new documentary Blu-Ray called 'Just Desserts' which tells the story of the making of the 1982 film Creepshow.  And I recently caved in and bought the new Blu-Ray of Basket Case, which is supposed to be the first time the director was able to produce the film from the original 35mm negative for the picture quality he always intended.  All prior versions were made by blowing up from 16mm using a beat up print copy, which made for a somewhat dark, grainy picture.  Not sure if I described that accurately, as I'm no film student, but I've read about that in recent years.  I've had the DVD for years but I love this twisted little flick so much I couldn't resist.  So Just Desserts and Basket Case on Blu-Ray will be first on deck for this Halloween season.

Offline Jason Brower

• jasonbrowerart.com
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 06:00:18 PM »
Though not set in stone, I tend to watch the Universal classics the most around Halloween time and the month of October. Also, stuff like Halloween, The Exorcist, Night of the Living Dead, etc.

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 08:46:15 AM »
Hocus Pocus

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 12:46:50 PM »
Salem's Lot.

Offline Jason Brower

• jasonbrowerart.com
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 02:11:55 PM »
Salem's Lot.
One of my favorites! That's a year-round title for sure.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 02:53:15 PM »
I'm in the minority and hate all the blood and gore.  I'll be waiting for the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

Now if it were Hitchcock, that's classic!  I love the implied, unknown twists and turns, the "McGuffins."

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 05:56:36 PM »
I'm in the minority and hate all the blood and gore.  I'll be waiting for the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

Now if it were Hitchcock, that's classic!  I love the implied, unknown twists and turns, the "McGuffins."
We think a lot alike my freind :)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 07:14:03 PM »

I'm in the minority with you.  I might watch Young Frankenstein!  And I do enjoy most of the Hitchcock 30 and 60 minute shows.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 07:48:19 PM »
We think a lot alike my freind :)

See you all in the Pumpkin Patch at midnight, when the Great Pumpkin appears!

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 09:15:35 AM »

You may not be in the minority! I like suspense and eeriness definitely over blood and gore.
That said, I saw that the original The Shining will be in movie theatres for special showings in late October...
A

Offline mikecho

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 10:55:48 AM »
Just saw my DVD of Phase IV last night. Olive Films did this one real good-it was even in widescreen! Only one flaw in this diamond-it didn't have the missing footage back where it belongs in the film. It didn't even have it as a extra feature, along with the theatrical trailer (which had the footage in it). Oh well, even a DVD isn't perfect. I guess I'll just have to wait until someone gets wise after all.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 10:35:28 AM by mikecho »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 06:36:23 PM »

Although I don't shy away from slashers, I have an affinity for the more innocuous stuff as well.  I haven't checked their schedule, but Turner Classics usually airs some bygone classics and interesting B-films this time of year.  I've watched Freaks, Mr. Sardonicus, The Wasp Woman, The Brain That Wouldn't Die and a few others in recent years.  Also like psychological horror, like Rosemary's Baby, and in general stuff that amps up the creepiness factor without the need for much overt violence.  More modern horror flicks are moving increasingly in that direction, as opposed to the slice and dice stuff.

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 07:19:52 PM »
I'm in the minority with you.  I might watch Young Frankenstein!  And I do enjoy most of the Hitchcock 30 and 60 minute shows.

I guess I'm in the minority, too! Movies like Young Frankenstein are great. Not a lot of gore, but a well balanced story with some spooky imagery and a good dose of humor.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 02:09:55 AM »
I guess I'm in the minority, too! Movies like Young Frankenstein are great. Not a lot of gore, but a well balanced story with some spooky imagery and a good dose of humor.

Minority? I think we are the majority. Gore and blood are for crappy storys, Good storys excite the mind!

Need some good Halloweeeny movies....try some B/W's

IT, the terror from beyond space - 1958

The Thing From Another World - 1951

The Land Unknown - 1957

20 Million Miles to Earth - 1957

Invaders From Mars - 1953

And don't forget all The Universal Monsters!!!

Enjoy and Happy Halloween

Jim

Offline drono

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 02:09:51 PM »
And the best part is that you can find most of these in a collection of 20 or so on one DVD for about $5 -- or $1 a movie at Wal-Mart.

My favorites are Vincent Price movies -- The Fly, House of Wax, House on Haunted Hill, The Tingler, The Last Man on Earth, The Tomb of Ligeia, and The Bat (along with Agnes Moorehead, who you'll know just from her voice).  And if Roger Corman produced it, then it's even better!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 02:17:28 PM by drono »

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 12:07:04 PM »
Day of the Triffids!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 12:53:47 PM »
If anyone wants to see the missing footage from Phase IV, it's on the Internet. It's on YouTube under the title "Phase iv lost ending". Just watch this footage and you'll see what I'm talking about when I say that this should be put back into the film.

Quote from: mikecho
#Invalid YouTube Link#

Why is this this an invalid link? I typed it in exactly as it said it was on the screen. Can someone please help me with this?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 10:55:58 AM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2020, 11:11:22 AM »
Since no one's looked at this thread in a while, I figured I'd bump it to say I really need help with the You Tube link from my previous post.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2020, 11:57:10 AM »
This week I impulsively bought the new F13th boxed set.

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2020, 03:16:40 PM »
I bought it directly from Shout Factory and trying to make it through all the movies in sequential order.

Just watched Part 3 in 3D last night.

If you didn't know, Shout Factory actually has a replacement program for 3 of the discs and have included a link:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/blog/friday-the-13th-replacement-disc-program/

I always like a good Universal Horror Film on Halloween: Frankenstein or Dracula will do.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2020, 04:03:46 PM »

I always like a good Universal Horror Film on Halloween: Frankenstein or Dracula will do.
Funny you should mention, I think Svengoolie is airing ‘Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man’ this Sat. Night at 8.  Can’t get better timing than that!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2020, 06:03:59 PM »
I bought it directly from Shout Factory and trying to make it through all the movies in sequential order.

If you didn't know, Shout Factory actually has a replacement program for 3 of the discs and have included a link:

Always enjoyed the films, but never watched anything beyond Part V A New Beginning.  Were any of the later ones equally good?

Part 3 was the first one I saw on the big screen, 3D glasses and all.  First showing on the first day of release to boot, back in the summer of ‘82!

Offline drono

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2020, 07:02:11 PM »
Turner Classic Movies has "Halloween" themed movies most of the day Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
https://www.tcm.com/schedule?icid=mainnav15-daily-schedule

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2020, 07:47:26 PM »
Turner Classic Movies has "Halloween" themed movies most of the day Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
https://www.tcm.com/schedule?icid=mainnav15-daily-schedule
Thanks for the tip.  I’ve been monitoring listings over this month to see if anything interesting is airing, but it’s mostly been the usual stuff, especially on amc.  The TCM schedule has some titles that don’t get aired much on TV.  Definitely going to DVR some of them.  Never saw Island of Lost Souls, for one.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2020, 09:37:24 AM »

Good heads up.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2020, 09:54:36 AM »
Anybody remember this made for TV movie from 1973 called "Frankenstein, The True Story" ?

It was aired as a two night mini-series event and I remember it made quite an impression on me as a nine-year old kid!  There are a few parts of it that seem corny now but for the most part it still holds up well.

Even though it calls itself "The True Story", it doesn't really follow the original Mary Shelley story that closely but it is still one of my favorite Frankenstein movies.

You can watch the whole movie here:

https://archive.org/details/Frankenstein.The.True.Story.La.Verdadera.Historia.De.Frankenstein.vz

Oh and it has Jane Seymour in it too!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 09:58:49 AM by BustedFinger »
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2020, 02:10:35 PM »
I recommend the original, oddly insane 1973's The Wicker Man.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2020, 11:21:11 PM »
Funny you should mention, I think Svengoolie is airing ‘Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man’ this Sat. Night at 8.  Can’t get better timing than that!

Yep, I've seen that advertised on MeTV.  At 10 pm they have the Star Trek "Catspaw" episode.  Kirk calling McCoy "Bones" is too funny!

anything