Author Topic: Paper on Art Speigelman  (Read 476 times)

Offline tinyrevel

Paper on Art Speigelman
« on: March 03, 2024, 12:35:24 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm a college student, and I'm writing a paper about the evolution of Art Speigelman's work, and so of course I'd like to start by talking about Wacky Packages! Could anyone tell me/tell me where to find a list of all the illustrations he did?
I'm also a big Wacky Packages fan in general lol :) nice to meet you all!

Offline Joe G.

Re: Paper on Art Speigelman
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 12:49:15 PM »
Hello tinyrevel that sounds like a fun project.  I assume you’ve read Art’s introduction to the first Abrams Wacky Packages book so know that he was instrumental in the creation of Wackys and did a ton of roughs for the original series.  Unfortunately few of those survive but here a link to an excellent source of existing ones that do.  Some are labled as to the artist so if you look through you’ll find a handful of Arts.

http://lostwackys.com/Wacky-Packages/rough-art/

Offline tinyrevel

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 01:06:11 PM »
I had not read the book, actually, it's in the special collections section of my library and I needed to make an appointment to view it, but good to know that some of that information is in there!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 10:47:15 AM »
OK I was curious so grabbed the existing Wacky roughs I believe are by Art and here they are.  As you can see it’s only 23 and a few are my best guess as to whether he did them or not.  Not great scans but the best I could find on line.  Not all of these were completed as final stickers.  Of the last 6 only PlayBug was made as a final sticker (albiet with a different design by Jay Lynch) and the other 5 are what’s known as Lost Wackys as they never went past the rough stage.  Salami Street is a lost Wacky as well.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 12:34:01 PM by Joe G. »

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 07:07:55 AM »
This may be stating the obvious, but we really should be doing whatever is possible to preserve information about the early days before it all disappears. I've heard that Art had a falling out with Topps and refused to do any more work with them after that, but I have no idea what it was all about. Does anyone know?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 09:27:12 AM »
This may be stating the obvious, but we really should be doing whatever is possible to preserve information about the early days before it all disappears. I've heard that Art had a falling out with Topps and refused to do any more work with them after that, but I have no idea what it was all about. Does anyone know?
As I've stated before, go to the Wacky Packages Wiki and you'll see where a considerable amount of the lost Wackys from lostwackys.com ended up. Not all of it, of course, but a considerable amount. Unfortunately, I don't know how much of it is on the website and how much of it isn't on it.

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 07:25:02 PM »
Saving some roughs is great, but I'm talking about the stories behind the early days. Like what was the reason Art parted ways with Topps? Or who made the decision to stop at 16, and why? These stories will fade away and vanish if no one writes them down and gathers them together. We might even be able to scrounge enough up to put a book together! Wouldn't that be a great way to celebrate Wacky Packages' longevity?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 08:18:24 PM »
Saving some roughs is great, but I'm talking about the stories behind the early days. Like what was the reason Art parted ways with Topps? Or who made the decision to stop at 16, and why? These stories will fade away and vanish if no one writes them down and gathers them together. We might even be able to scrounge enough up to put a book together! Wouldn't that be a great way to celebrate Wacky Packages' longevity?
Yes, I think it's a great idea! How does one get started?

anything