Author Topic: Vinyls  (Read 3000 times)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Vinyls
« on: July 19, 2022, 07:08:37 PM »
Couldn't find another topic on this...

I found what must be left of my album collection, I guess I liked Glass Houses so much I grabbed two...

Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plastered Peanut

Re: Vinyls
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 12:13:34 AM »
I still have every vinyl album I ever bought....just under 200.   Most of what I bought starting in 1987 were CD's.    I still love my album collection though.   CD's are certainly more convenient, but vinyl adds so much to the experience, even down to the jacket.   I still hold my breath while cleaning the record with a Discwasher before playing.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 03:31:47 AM »
I still have every vinyl album I ever bought....just under 200.   Most of what I bought starting in 1987 were CD's.    I still love my album collection though.   CD's are certainly more convenient, but vinyl adds so much to the experience, even down to the jacket.   I still hold my breath while cleaning the record with a Discwasher before playing.
I have no way to play mine, is there a market for this stuff?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 04:46:52 AM »
That Partridge Family Sound Magazine album is one of my favorite records of all time. Perfection from start to finish.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 05:00:28 AM »
I have no way to play mine, is there a market for this stuff?
I think vinyl is making a tiny comeback.   I noticed LP shelves in the Targets when I would go shopping for mini wackies. 

I still have my original Technics phonograph player from the 70's!   I bought a small stock of dishwasher fluid many years ago thinking it would probably disappear, but I just checked amazon and the fluid is still available, though I didn't see the whole kit.   Some nice looking turntables out there too.   I have a tendency to just stick with what works.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 05:01:03 AM »
That Partridge Family Sound Magazine album is one of my favorite records of all time. Perfection from start to finish.
I remember loving that album as a kid.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 05:41:08 AM »
I think vinyl is making a tiny comeback.   I noticed LP shelves in the Targets when I would go shopping for mini wackies. 

I still have my original Technics phonograph player from the 70's!   I bought a small stock of dishwasher fluid many years ago thinking it would probably disappear, but I just checked amazon and the fluid is still available, though I didn't see the whole kit.   Some nice looking turntables out there too.   I have a tendency to just stick with what works.

I have a Panasonic rack system with a turntable, dual tape deck, and a CD player.  It was a clone of the Technics version, but $150 less.  I went to Macys every week, waiting for them to get down to the last one and mark it down.  It worked!  And I didn't even have to take the floor model.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 05:59:52 AM »
Couldn't find another topic on this...

I found what must be left of my album collection, I guess I liked Glass Houses so much I grabbed two...

I was a sophomore in college in 1980. I had always wanted to see Billy Joel in concert and finally got a chance in February of '80. We were a bit disappointed initially though... rather than his traditional single spotlight on piano opener of one of his songs with a great piano into, we were "treated" to Billy on electric guitar running up and down a three tier set. Unbeknownst to us, he was soon to release GLASS HOUSES and the concert featured about 6 or 7 songs from this upcoming album. I'll leave it to the critics as o whether this was his best material or not. He was definitely trying to change up his sound a bit with this one. I did come to really like some of the songs from this album like "Through the Long Night" and "Don't ask me Why". And, Billy eventually got to the older piano based songs I had come to love.  So he still got  :great:   :great:
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2022, 06:04:03 AM »
I have a Panasonic rack system with a turntable, dual tape deck, and a CD player.  It was a clone of the Technics version, but $150 less.  I went to Macys every week, waiting for them to get down to the last one and mark it down.  It worked!  And I didn't even have to take the floor model.

Anyone else remember a store called Service Merchandise? I would visit the one closest to us about once a week, while I was in college,  to check out any discounted cool electronics. I built most of my modest early sound system that way.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2022, 07:59:35 AM »
Anyone else remember a store called Service Merchandise? I would visit the one closest to us about once a week, while I was in college,  to check out any discounted cool electronics. I built most of my modest early sound system that way.

We had a big Service Merchandise here, and I used to check that weekly, too.  Sometimes they had exclusive Star Wars figures.

Here's the rack system I got from Macy's in 1989 for about $500:

« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 08:02:51 AM by RawGoo »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2022, 09:55:38 AM »
I found what must be left of my album collection...
My wife and I sold off most of our "collective LP collection" years back, but I still have a fair amount of them (ones I refused to part with, lol). Not sure how many, but maybe 50-100 or so are left. Also have a complete "Cheech & Chong" set of LPs (Big Bambu, Wedding Album, etc.), lots of Partridge Family LPs both foreign and domestic and a long box full of their 45s, as well...but my main LP collection consists of jazz trumpeter Maynard Ferguson (I was a big time high school band geek). Have MANY of his LPs (I think everything he produced throughout his career as a bandleader); also tons of his 45s, 78s, blah, blah, blah. I actually have a record store rack in my basement to hold just his stuff separately.

BTW, Ernie, does that Bat Out of Hell have the lyric insert with it? If so, it makes it slightly more valuable.

Offline drono

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2022, 12:44:38 PM »
I think the only one I have left of my collection is Chicago at Carnegie Hall (their 4th album).  I bought their first, Chicago Transit Authority, a few years ago at an antique store for $5.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2022, 02:09:03 PM »
My wife and I sold off most of our "collective LP collection" years back, but I still have a fair amount of them (ones I refused to part with, lol). Not sure how many, but maybe 50-100 or so are left. Also have a complete "Cheech & Chong" set of LPs (Big Bambu, Wedding Album, etc.), lots of Partridge Family LPs both foreign and domestic and a long box full of their 45s, as well...but my main LP collection consists of jazz trumpeter Maynard Ferguson (I was a big time high school band geek). Have MANY of his LPs (I think everything he produced throughout his career as a bandleader); also tons of his 45s, 78s, blah, blah, blah. I actually have a record store rack in my basement to hold just his stuff separately.

BTW, Ernie, does that Bat Out of Hell have the lyric insert with it? If so, it makes it slightly more valuable.
I played trumpet and loved Chuck Mangione.  I have a Dixieland album I didn't include in the picture.  I also have Aristocats album as that was one of my favorite movies as a kid.  Tom O'm..Alley Cat was a cool dude.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2022, 05:56:27 PM »
Also have a complete "Cheech & Chong" set of LPs (Big Bambu, Wedding Album, etc.)

Do you have the Sleeping Beauty album too?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2022, 07:15:25 PM »

No lyrics  >(

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2022, 10:14:24 AM »
Do you have the Sleeping Beauty album too?
Yes, I believe this comprises a full set of their LPs.

Offline drono

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2022, 02:52:33 PM »
Other than "Earache my Eye" and whatever was on the B side of the single, I don't think I've ever heard anything by Cheech & Chong.  Is it "music" like this one or mostly comedy routines?

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2022, 03:55:32 PM »
Mostly comedy routines with the occasional musical interlude. Less music than Monty Python, for example.

Other than "Earache my Eye" and whatever was on the B side of the single, I don't think I've ever heard anything by Cheech & Chong.  Is it "music" like this one or mostly comedy routines?

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2022, 04:01:45 AM »
No lyrics  >(

I would do anything for love?

anything