Author Topic: Wacky magnets  (Read 1632 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Wacky magnets
« on: July 17, 2022, 06:34:23 AM »
I know i have seen homemade wacky magnets for sale on e-bay and some members here have discussed making them. I have some re-issues and Flashback stickers that I wish to stick on magnetic sheets to decorate my fridge. They will then be removable, saving me the beating i got for doing that when i was a kid. My question is, what type of glue, if any have you used to stick the stickers? Flashbacks may still have their glue, but re-issues not so much. I have glue sticks, rubber cement and spray adhesive available. When the magnet sheets arrive, they might have adhesive on one side….

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Wacky magnets
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 08:31:41 AM »
I used a glue stick.  Most are still attached.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 05:41:11 PM »
I have made hundreds of magnets from Wackys.  I got magnet sheets that have an adhesive back.  They have a backing that peels off to reveal the adhesive.  The adhesive of the magnet sheet combined with the adhesive of the sticker works perfectly.  You can find them at most office supply stores like Staples.

Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 07:17:49 PM »
I bought a collection of hundreds of these years ago and I can't put a life for me find them. I think they're in a Box somewhere.   I had planned to run metal strip all around my basement and have the wackys go all the way around project never happened
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 08:58:55 PM »
You can buy the magnetic sheets from crafting suppliers on eBay, but one variable you should be aware of is that the sheeting is available in several different thicknesses.  The thinnest will be cheapest and easiest to do the scissor cutting with, but also the most difficult to remove the finished magnet from a fridge or other metal surface.  You can slide an index card or other paper underneath to remove, but if you try to get under the edge with your fingernails you will usually damage the edge in the process.  The thicker stock material is a little easier to get under without doing any damage, but also heavier and pricier.  So there’s a trade-off there to be mindful of.  You may want to get some sheets of different thicknesses and see where you get best results.

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 07:16:07 AM »
The magnetic sheets arrived, they definitely are heavier than the ANS magnets, and have an adhesive back, so i think im set. I cant wait to see my wife’s face when i cover the refrigerator with them…

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 08:01:29 AM »
The magnetic sheets arrived, they definitely are heavier than the ANS magnets, and have an adhesive back, so i think im set. I cant wait to see my wife’s face when i cover the refrigerator with them…

Like this??

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 03:58:12 AM »
I have made hundreds of magnets from Wackys.  I got magnet sheets that have an adhesive back.  They have a backing that peels off to reveal the adhesive.  The adhesive of the magnet sheet combined with the adhesive of the sticker works perfectly.  You can find them at most office supply stores like Staples.

Busted, always creative with wackys!   Hats off, my friend.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2022, 03:10:32 PM »

That's awesome! Is that Homer sitting up top on the couch?

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 03:49:58 PM »
That's awesome! Is that Homer sitting up top on the couch?
It is!  The couch is actually a case for a Simpsons wrist watch.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

anything