Author Topic: Topps x Ermsy  (Read 5635 times)

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Topps x Ermsy
« on: July 06, 2022, 01:26:07 PM »
Topps X Ermsy  👀

Contemporary artist Ermsy has teamed up with Topps to breathe new life into some of Topps’ most historic entertainment brands! Check out Ermsy’s fresh, new takes on Garbage Pail Kids, Mars Attacks, Wacky Packages, and Ugly Stickers, releasing on July 13th.

Offline drono

Re: Topps x Ermsy
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 01:31:18 PM »
If they're priced like the Project 70 baseball cards that Ermsy's done with Garbage Pail mashups, I doubt I would spend $19.99+ for one.

https://www.topps.com/topps-project70r-card-357-mike-trout-by-ermsy.html

« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 01:33:40 PM by drono »

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 04:05:12 PM »
If they're priced like the Project 70 baseball cards that Ermsy's done with Garbage Pail mashups, I doubt I would spend $19.99+ for one.
if it's all 4 cards in a simple snap-case for $19.99, I might be in. We'll see.

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 08:41:05 AM »
Sounds like this project will be a multi-week release, to build an Entertainment Blend Set with multiple cards for each of the four properties.

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 01:08:40 PM »
Could be an interesting set. Will be interesting to see if they use art from original cards and how they’re modified. Guessing they will have foil cards and 1/1 cards like they do for the baseball sets. Could be a fun set as long as it’s not too overpriced. I agree with F&S that I might do $19.99 for a set of 4 each week but not $19.99 per card. Time will tell!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 01:33:14 PM »
Could be an interesting set. Will be interesting to see if they use art from original cards and how they’re modified. Guessing they will have foil cards and 1/1 cards like they do for the baseball sets. Could be a fun set as long as it’s not too overpriced. I agree with F&S that I might do $19.99 for a set of 4 each week but not $19.99 per card. Time will tell!

$19.99 each week?  That might be too much for me.

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 02:14:10 PM »
Yeah. Could get pricy. Will be interesting to see what the format is and how long it goes on for.

Offline quas

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 03:56:52 PM »
Yep.  Will just have to see what they actually look like, and whether it's worth maybe having just one as a "type card" or whether it's worth diving head first into the completeness arena.
Marc

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 04:42:23 PM »
Previews of this weeks GPK, Mars Attacks and Wacky have been posted

Eagle eye collectors may notice something ever so slightly wrong with the Wacky

« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 06:57:56 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2022, 06:56:32 PM »

Eagle eye collectors may notice something ver so slightly wrong with the Wacky

Groan

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2022, 07:51:57 PM »
Will be interesting to see if these cards generate any actual ‘interest’ for the brands. Price point will most likely decide this. Not liking the WP x GPK mash up. Would be better to keep the different brands separate.

Eagle eye collectors may notice something ever so slightly wrong with the Wacky

Offline drono

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 03:44:57 AM »
Will be interesting to see if these cards generate any actual ‘interest’ for the brands. Price point will most likely decide this. Not liking the WP x GPK mash up. Would be better to keep the different brands separate.

My guess is that the GPK collectors will buy them. 

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 04:01:18 AM »
Info on the setup:
It’s a 20 card set, plus 5 chase cards. Packs contain 5 random base cards and 1 hit.

Hits will include numbered foil border cards, chase cards, autos and short printed GPK B names!

Every day during the release period, there will be 4 silver framed APs out of 49 to collect. There will also be a chance at a 1/1 gold frame.

Dropping tomorrow, 13th July

More pics. While it’s said to be mashups using the four properties, so far it looks very heavy on GPK and just pushing GPK into the other three

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 05:03:54 AM »
Info on the setup:
It’s a 20 card set, plus 5 chase cards. Packs contain 5 random base cards and 1 hit.

Hits will include numbered foil border cards, chase cards, autos and short printed GPK B names!

Every day during the release period, there will be 4 silver framed APs out of 49 to collect. There will also be a chance at a 1/1 gold frame.

More pics. While it’s said to be mashups using the four properties, so far it looks very heavy on GPK and just pushing GPK into the other three

Sounds like too many extras for me to even pursue a base set.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 02:49:17 PM »
Info on the setup:

Although one of the most important factors, price, is not listed here, my initial reaction is that I'll pass on these.  As you pointed out, it looks like a GPK release with bits of other sets snuck in there.

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2022, 07:57:42 AM »
Another Wacky and it too is GPK’ified
And most of the Ugly and Mars Attacks are mashed with GPK too

I was initially interested in this set, and was thinking of chasing the special items, but after seeing what these really are I’m totally out. Customer lost.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 11:25:36 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2022, 10:08:15 AM »
mashing Wacky and Ugly stickers?? Wish I'd thought of that, oh wait I did....

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2022, 10:30:50 AM »
Ermsy stuff is up
Base packs are $19.99, giving 5 base + chase of a 20 base card set and 4 different chase sets
Also some Artist Proofs at $100 each
Crazy expensive set for anyone trying to get it all

https://www.topps.com/cards-collectibles/online-brands/collaborations.html

Checklist
Almost entirely GPK related
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 10:39:30 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline toddbarrett

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2022, 11:15:55 AM »
Not wacky enough... :sad:

Offline drono

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2022, 11:21:24 AM »
Excuse my naivete of not knowing who Ermsy is, but I'd rather have a set drawn by my 4-year old granddaughter.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2022, 11:41:12 AM »
Too much stuff and not really Wackys.  I'm out.

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2022, 12:09:13 PM »
Too much stuff and not really Wackys.  I'm out.

I only want one card. You can probably figure it out.

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2022, 12:50:11 PM »
Count me amongst the disinterested.
Yet, within a few hours, 2 of the 4 artist proof cards #'d to 49 that were offered have completely sold out.  (Only Wacky and Ugly APs remain.)
What am I missing here?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 12:52:28 PM by cmgmd »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2022, 12:59:04 PM »
I'll give Topps credit for trying something unique, but I'm only really interested in one of the four sets that are being spoofed/homaged/whatever, so I'll be passing on this one.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2022, 01:04:27 PM »
Is it me, or do the "Ugly Stickers" look more like "Baseball Superfreaks", which were products of another company (Fleer, right?)?

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2022, 01:07:30 PM »
mashing Wacky and Ugly stickers?? Wish I'd thought of that, oh wait I did....

This one's an interesting mashup visually... but faulty pronunciation by customers might cause this to be snatched from production.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2022, 01:12:30 PM »
To be honest, I'd actually buy one of these from a dealer at a show.  But it's TOPPS and the way their website works that makes me buy any of their products directly from the site at this point.  I really hate that they require you to have a Topps account to buy anything.  There should always be a way to just pay using a credit card or Paypal online without having to sign up.  So, for THAT reason, "I'm Out".  (I seem to remember they were part of a rather serious data breech or leak of customer data or something not that long ago, too, right?)  I will always prefer buying direct from all of YOU guys!

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2022, 08:47:27 AM »
Today’s four AP cards includes a Wacky title Uglystone. Major mashup with GPK and MA.

Yesterday’s four all sold out within hours. I wonder how many are just being picked up by flippers and speculators, after watching all the Ermsy Project 70 cards go up in value

Offline quas

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2022, 08:55:06 AM »
After seeing those pics, I'm even more glad to not have purchased.
Marc

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2022, 10:53:17 AM »
This one's an interesting mashup visually... but faulty pronunciation by customers might cause this to be snatched from production.

I see what you did there...snatched from production, huh? :)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2022, 11:20:53 AM »
Today’s four AP cards includes a Wacky title Uglystone. Major mashup with GPK and MA.

Yesterday’s four all sold out within hours. I wonder how many are just being picked up by flippers and speculators, after watching all the Ermsy Project 70 cards go up in value

"I wonder how many are just being picked up by flippers and speculators, after watching all the Ermsy Project 70 cards go up in value"

All of them?

:]
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline drono

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2022, 12:29:00 PM »
All of them?

:]

C'mon

Oh, they're very popular Jason. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore them. They think they're righteous, dude.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2022, 01:53:51 PM »
GPK mashup crap! Might have been interested if they were single subject. To me the GPK ruins everything. I'm a fan of 3 of the 4 and the 4th spoils the barrel! 

Jim

Offline Swiski

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2022, 05:22:01 AM »
To me, Ermy's art style is in the surrealism category, but a cartoony version of art similar to Robert Williams or Todd Schorr

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2022, 01:12:13 PM »
Count me amongst the disinterested.
Yet, within a few hours, 2 of the 4 artist proof cards #'d to 49 that were offered have completely sold out.  (Only Wacky and Ugly APs remain.)
What am I missing here?

There are a great many collectors who don't frequent the board. Now do I think each sold out card was purchased only by collectors or enthusiasts? I'm sure those seeing dollar signs jumped on some of the sales.

anything